anyone past 50 on here?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
5 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Layers, @Semisweet!  :)

35 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

You beat me to it, ryn!

,,,beat me to it too!

Was looking at the giant circle of ice on a news report today, what an amazing piece of natural construction! the birds seem to like sitting on it. Maybe if there's a widening range of temperature there, it'll melt or be swallowed up into more ice, but right now it looks like a lotta fun...a big moon on the water.

@Tja, so what's your next move then? will you find that lovely cabin and start again?

Here, I'll be able to earn the same in 2 weeks and have 2 weeks a month to myself as well. the downside is a little travel and staying with someone to look after them, but after being in  rut for so long, I'm looking forward to getting a bit of variety.

Haha @faraday☘, those who haven't met @Tja will be having a ball trying to guess his height now!

@chandrakirti, allegedly the inspiration for "Moon River"

WE have just had our first snow of winter - about six flakes 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

@Tja, so what's your next move then? will you find that lovely cabin and start again?

Well...as well as the house debacle, I tried one of those credit debt relief companies last year. All that did was ruin my credit rating.

So, I can't see a lovely cabin in my future.

After calming down, and looking at the situation, my options are: Living in a barely livable house, living in hotels, or, homelessness.

Not trying to be dramatic, just making a list.

What's really bugging me is the fact that all this has frazzled my good humor, making my AVEN posts a pale shadow of their former frivolity.:P

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Tja said:

Living in a barely livable house,

Tja, I think I need a reminder here (because my mind is a sieve).  You have mentioned not having floors, but I'm not sure what that means.  Are you walking on sub-flooring?  Are there other house issues besides the floor?

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

WE have just had our first snow of winter - about six flakes

Hahaha!

I don't think we've had snow yet this winter.  We got one day of very wet snow when I was up at Breitenbush, but that's on Mt. Jefferson--I can only imagine it had turned to rain by the time it hit the valleys.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Tja, I think I need a reminder here (because my mind is a sieve).  You have mentioned not having floors, but I'm not sure what that means.  Are you walking on sub-flooring?  Are there other house issues besides the floor?

Before

Spoiler

25Vt0hm.jpg

After

Spoiler

KFryKey.jpg

100 year old hardwoods...gone.

Other than this, I haven't had a working heat system for years.

I was hoping to install a new heat system, but, with the mortgage company refusing to give me my money...

• Like 5

@Tja Man, that doesn't even look like the same room except for the window and door layout. That is crazy and seriously ridiculous that you're going through all of this over it.

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, Tja said:

It's difficult to see the before photos. I was happy with how I'd fixed it up.

Yeah, in a way that’s the worst part... it’s not like you are suffering through this on the way to a renovation you wanted.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Tja said:

What's really bugging me is the fact that all this has frazzled my good humor

Totally understandable though. All of the stuff you've been going through with this would be enough to frazzle the most unfrazzleable person!

• Like 5
On 1/14/2019 at 10:14 PM, pickles mcgee said:

Binge-watching "The Closer" tonight, as I have over the past many weeks--there are a lot of seasons!  I'm on Season 6 now.

I had never heard of the show until I stumbled across it one evening last fall on StarTV. I had no clue what it was about or who the lead character was. I was rather surprised that I liked it. I am sorry that the follow on show Major Crimes is not yet available to stream. I just found out our local My9 channel  (WWOR in New York City) is showing Major Crimes on the weekends and caught the last five minutes of the episode with Captain Raydor talking to a kid. No idea what the episode is or was about but at least I know it can be found.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Tja said:

It looked lovely! This is so sad, such a loss....

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Tja, what a lovely house, I can see how you had it just right.

Some suggestions...  appeal for local building apprentices to get some practice by helping you restore it-some colleges might like to use the work to train their students?

Crowdfunding? I'm sure if you explained your situation people would have a quick whip round for you-it might also be a good platform to shame these insurance people and prevent others having the same experience.

Could AVENites have a whip round to help you ,or lend their skills? I bet there are more than a few folk here with building experience.

The walls could have rolls of insulation or insulating foam panels placed between the battens, then stud walls nailed over. You might not have to plaster, but just tape over the joints and decorate. 

Still means that these guys need to pay you out though...are there any free advice centres with legal help? I'm livid on your behalf...I haven't insured my home yet this year -it was due on 1st January.

2 hours ago, teatree said:

It looked lovely!

2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

@Tja, what a lovely house, I can see how you had it just right.

Thanks! The round oak dining table (100+ years) took me years to find. Another 2 years to find the right chairs.

The Victorian library table (short, on the right) held a small part of my 1st addition hardcovers.

I did tear up, a bit, as they were, mostly, James Herriot. 💔

But, hey...just stuff...no loss of life, so...

Great advice, @chandrakirti!

Down the road, if I'm still here, I will need to re-plaster the upstairs.🤔

So, here's an open invitation to all on this thread. Come help me with that...just bring a sleeping bag! :P We'll have one helluva party!!!

• Like 5

Did you lose all your wood furnishings, too, @Tja?

It’s still sad to lose things you love, especially things with history, even if all the living creatures are okay.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Did you lose all your wood furnishings, too, @Tja? 

Most. Years of collecting, while traveling around the country.

• Like 5

...and I second the apprenticeship idea.  Some of the schools where I live do that and although the newer folks are slower than the seasoned pros they do lovely work from what I’ve seen.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Tja said:

Before

Reveal hidden contents

25Vt0hm.jpg

After

Reveal hidden contents

KFryKey.jpg

Wowzer, a coupla pictures are worth a thousand words...

6 hours ago, Tja said:

What a beautiful room.  That's a terrible loss--no wonder you feel pained.  I'm feeling pained along with you.  😢

(I'm guessing the lovely corner cupboard did not survive?)

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Techie said:

I had never heard of the show until I stumbled across it one evening last fall on StarTV. I had no clue what it was about or who the lead character was. I was rather surprised that I liked it. 

Same, same, same, except I stumbled across it on Amazon Prime.  I had never seen Kyra Sedgwick in anything, and now I think she's super cool.  I'm surprised I like it too--the plots are repetitive and predictable, and some of the scenes are groan-worthy--but, oh my, "That Woman!"

• Like 7
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

(I'm guessing the lovely corner cupboard did not survive?)

No. I loved that. Changing the shelves out with different pieces, and an Xmas village at the holidays.

• Like 5

@Tja those before and after photos are simply disheartening.  Damn.  I wish there was a way I could somehow help you put it all back together.

How are you keeping the house warm without a heat system?

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Tja said:

No. I loved that. Changing the shelves out with different pieces, and an Xmas village at the holidays.

Tragic.  It is a beaut.

• Like 6

How far up did the water go, @Tja?

I’m losing some things I really love to my former partner.  I’m going to try to keep in mind that they will still exist and be loved by someone even though they are gone from me.

My dad built a corner cupboard in my parents’ house, but the walls were too integral a part of it so I couldn’t take it with me after my mom died.  I hope the person who bought the house kept and enjoyed it.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

@Tja those before and after photos are simply disheartening.  Damn.  I wish there was a way I could somehow help you put it all back together.

How are you keeping the house warm without a heat system?

I appreciate that! So nice to say.

I have a kerosene heater, which heats the entire house. My place is relatively small.

An electric space heater pitches in when it gets really cold. Long John's, sweaters are a necessity.

As long as it doesn't go too far below 30, I'm good.

6 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

How far up did the water go, @Tja?

The burst pipe, in the dining room, sprayed water across the room, and the actual break was rather high up on the pipe.

The four burst radiators didn't spray very high after the initial burst. Just leaked, mostly.

• Like 4

Ugh, what an awful mess.  I’m sad for you, along with so annoyed with your insurance company.

I hope you can ultimately get it back to a state that feels homelike to you.

• Like 6
On 1/16/2019 at 8:33 PM, ryn2 said:

Layers, @Semisweet!  :)

Oh, I’m an experienced layerer (layerista?), but a 40-degree temperature drop within a few hours probably warrants an extra overcoat.

@Tja, you have a keen eye for quality craftsmanship. I hope down the road you’re able to find some worthy successors to those lovely lost wood furnishings. I’ve read that, sadly, it has become harder to find buyers for such classic pieces because of what one might call the IKEA-fication of decorating tastes. 

• Like 9
19 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

a 40-degree temperature drop within a few hours probably warrants an extra overcoat.

Definitely extra layer weather.

• Like 5
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Could you find replacements for your lost furniture on reclaim websites @Tja? If you have a good description you might find duplicates.

I'm all for setting up a thread here for offers of help.  

This is a first for me today...at last I've been able to set up AVEN on my phone, so this is my first post!

@chandrakirti, that's been a mission :P

Typical, I'm going to Iceland just as we get a cold snap here :P

• Like 6