anyone past 50 on here?

3 hours ago, cdrdash said:

@nspwb

@Midland Tyke  that Levada hike looked awesome.  A few spots I might have trouble with the heights (I would have to direct my attention to the side opposite the exposure).   Is one allowed to slosh in the water next to the cement walk?  I might do that on the very exposed bits.  

The water channels are for crop irrigation so o don't think you'd have problems on dirtying the water. It would be uncomfortable though, with the channel also being narrow.

By the way, I did the walk with an Ace friend who has now returned home to Oakland. How far away from you is that?

• Like 6

Page 900?!?!?! Yikes! This thread has gotten long 😂

Not much going on with me. Had a routine doctors appointment last Wednesday. Also included an echocardiogram as it had been several years since the last. They also checked my neck arteries which had not been done before. All clear I have been told. ECG and blood work came back fine too (nice to see the terms valve timing normal, normal sinus rhythm, ECG normal in the report - one would think it was a diagnostic report on my car 😀). Always watching those numbers for the beginning of a major deviation. I love the new system now where all results are sent electronically to an app on my iPhone. I get a popup message telling me there are new results available and all I have to do is sign in and select the test results icon. Beats the old days of having to have results mailed to me. 

I have been wearing a black ring on my right middle finger for several years now. I am not a jewelry wearing person and other than the ring, I wear a plain unadorned gold cross under my clothing. Well I was browsing Amazon the other day and what should pop up but a black ring with a purple band in the center. I recall about a year ago or so someone on a thread here seeing them for sale but they were on the order of $134 or so. Well Amazon wanted around $18.99. I figured I would check eBay and I saw a slightly different one that really looked nice too for $15.99 so I decided to purchase that (size 13 x 8mm). It arrived a little while ago. The inside part of the ring is also purple and it appears the black bands are overlaid on the solid purple band:

32864666148_8a7ff7b7c7_z.jpg

• Like 12
1 minute ago, Foo Dog said:

I am over fifty and have just joined this forum today. 

Welcome to the forum! 🍰 🍰 :cake: :cake:

56 myself and turn 57 later this year.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

The water channels are for crop irrigation so o don't think you'd have problems on dirtying the water. It would be uncomfortable though, with the channel also being narrow.

By the way, I did the walk with an Ace friend who has now returned home to Oakland. How far away from you is that?

Oakland is about 40 miles from me.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Foo Dog said:

Welcome!

• Like 5

Hello @nspwb and @Foo Dog.

I like your ring @Techie. I don't wear much jewellery either - not even my wedding ring, but an exception is a necklace I made myself from a small piece of rock I found on an beach in Ireland. It's black limestone with white calcite streaks and I thought it was very ace-ish.

Bad things happening in Chechnya again today. I never feel that there's anything practical I can do. 

• Like 10
5 hours ago, Foo Dog said:

Welcome to AVEN.  Great name you have there.🌭 🐕 Is there a story behind it?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, daveb said:

@Tja, oh dear. :(

28 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Is it the renovations?

Spoiler

Didn't get check for repairs.

Didn't get call, that I wouldn't get check for repairs.

Didn't get call telling me I needed to send them yet another document that's completely unrelated to repairs said check would cover.

Told them I was told all forms were completed, and I would be receiving the check.

They said, "Yeah, that happens a lot."

Told them if I don't receive the check in 2 weeks I would stop paying my mortgage, and they would be the proud new owners of this house.

Told them they could then keep the funds and repair the house themselves, as it would no longer be my responsibility.

I am done.

• Like 4

I also locked my keys in my truck an hour ago. It's been a banner f#&king day!

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

Hang in there, @Tja - that sounds totally ridiculous, but when you hit bottom the only way is up . . . right? *hugs*

• Like 7
32 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

Hang in there, @Tja - that sounds totally ridiculous, but when you hit bottom the only way is up . . . right? *hugs*

Thanks, Sunny.

I've been on the bottom for almost a year, now. Don't know how much longer I can keep my own sunny disposition.:rolleyes:

My car insurance company did send someone to unlock my truck.

• Like 7

@Tja I'm not the praying type, but I'll send some positive thoughts your way. I really hope this mess gets settled for you soon.

• Like 7

That feeling when you hit bottom, they pull the rug out from under you, and you don't have floors. :( 

• Like 7
51 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

@Tja I'm not the praying type, but I'll send some positive thoughts your way. I really hope this mess gets settled for you soon.

Thanks, Spotty.

• Like 5

Being at rock bottom is especially devastating when the rock turns out to be fake and there’s further to fall...

Thinking good thoughts for you, @Tja...

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Tja said:
  Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

Nooo!  Don't give up!  I hope you can hang in there (unless you really don't want to).

6 hours ago, Tja said:

Hide contents

Told them if I don't receive the check in 2 weeks I would stop paying my mortgage, and they would be the proud new owners of this house.

Not to get too personal, but is your equity in the house less than the cost of repairs?

4 hours ago, Tja said:

I also locked my keys in my truck an hour ago. It's been a banner f#&king day!

Look on the bright side: you did not spend your day with twenty-five 6-yr-olds.  Just trying to find a silver lining...

2 hours ago, daveb said:

That feeling when you hit bottom, they pull the rug out from under you, and you don't have floors. :( 

@Tja, I hope you don't mind that I laughed at this. 😅

Binge-watching "The Closer" tonight, as I have over the past many weeks--there are a lot of seasons!  I'm on Season 6 now.

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa
4 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Not to get too personal, but is your equity in the house less than the cost of repairs?

Yes @Tja  - don't just give the bank your house after having put good money into it!! They would probably get it renovated in double quick time then sell it to their own advantage!! You could work out how much it would fetch with no floors-get an agent in to value it, then work out if it's better just to sell it up and buy that little cabin you dream about...

Locking the keys inside your truck is likely a side effect of ll the stress you're under. Do you have an independent insurance ombudsman? They could advise.

So sorry to hear that you're being dicked about like this!!🤬

11 hours ago, Tunhope said:

It was a Guardian article @chandrakirti. A new LGBT purge. 

I just read it today @Tunhope, it's appalling ...you'd think the Chechnyans wouldn't imitate the Russians, seeing they're not the best of friends, but it just goes to show how bigotry knows no bounds in this era.

Well, I put in my notice yesterday! I'm soooo excited I'll not be chained to a desk much longer (2 weeks more is enough). I already have a job lined up in mid February, it's got some travelling in it, but it gives me 2 weeks off in every month and I earn the same as I am presently earning. If I ever want to work in an office again it'll be one I found near my house, with a bike ride through the park and a really clean environment.

Spoiler

The entrance to my present workplace is basically a lorry park, where the drivers just throw their rubbish, sometimes beer and wine detritus- and they're driving! Last summer during the heatwave it also became apparent they were using the lorry/car park as a toilet as well....an unpleasant start to the day. Inside the office isn't that much cleaner either.

So I'm going to care work now that my back is much improved, but this time, looking after one person at a time, living in, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Time is precious compared with money.

@Foo Dog, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

@Tja, your system for insurance repairs over there totally sucks. At least the vehicle insurance/recovery were more sensible 

@chandrakirti, congratulations 🎊 🎊 on the new job 

• Like 5