anyone past 50 on here?

@"Mimzee": Wow, your ancestors founded Pensacola, FL!! That is quite a claim to some history. Would you have a Seminole Indian background; or maybe even connection to a pirate?

Btw, I am well over 50!! :)

I had this marvelous post all composed in my mind on a walk I took at Shoreline park last Sunday and now it seems to have flitted away to who knows where. I'm tempted to make a joke that its a being past 50 thing but heck this has happened to me most of my life ;) . Perhaps I can squeeze it out by just starting from what I do remember ...

It had to do with rites of passage. I consider my recognizing I was an asexual being a rite of passage for me. Maybe it was musing on what its like to have a rite of passage in my late forties (51 now but was 47 when I declared my asexuality to myself) rather than as a teenager and what the differences might be. Or maybe it was what do I do after my rite of passage and being disappointed that life hasn't changed in a bigger way for me since then. Or was it that I felt so excited after realizing I was asexual and now I felt as if I am returning to normal and sort of missing that initial excitement. Some how I think I have missed the key point I was thinking about. Oh well.

Were you excited by realizing you are asexual? If so, are you still excited or has the novelty faded away and things pretty much returned to normal? Was this realization like a rite of passage for you or more ordinary?

Cathy

Hi, Cathy - I didn't want to interrupt your flow on Bananarama, so I thought I'd contact you here. I hope things are going well for you, and you're making some friends; having some conversations! :)

@"Mimzee": Wow, your ancestors founded Pensacola, FL!! That is quite a claim to some history. Would you have a Seminole Indian background; or maybe even connection to a pirate?

Runester, my Aunt Renee swears that my great grandfather Pop was 100% Choctaw (part of the greater Seminole tribe when the Florida/Louisiana tribes united) but my uncle says that's nonsense, Pop was 100% English. I've seen pics of him and he does look a lot darker than Big Mama (his wife, my great grandmother), but that doesn't really mean anything because there are a number of Moorish looking Brits. Big Mama was a Spanish Converso (Jewish, new Christian) whose folks were chased from Spain to the Canary Islands to Cuba and up to Florida thanks to the Inquisition. Her people were smart and stayed in Cuba until the French took over northern Florida, then they moved up to Escambia County. As for the pirates, yes, we are definitely descended from maternal grandfather's side from Jean Lafitte, notorious in New Orleans. I like to think of myself as a descendant of LaFitte because I'm a renegade! :ph34r: :lol:

Runester, my Aunt Renee swears that my great grandfather Pop was 100% Choctaw (part of the greater Seminole tribe when the Florida/Louisiana tribes united) but my uncle says that's nonsense, Pop was 100% English. I've seen pics of him and he does look a lot darker than Big Mama (his wife, my great grandmother), but that doesn't really mean anything because there are a number of Moorish looking Brits. Big Mama was a Spanish Converso (Jewish, new Christian) whose folks were chased from Spain to the Canary Islands to Cuba and up to Florida thanks to the Inquisition. Her people were smart and stayed in Cuba until the French took over northern Florida, then they moved up to Escambia County. As for the pirates, yes, we are definitely descended from maternal grandfather's side from Jean Lafitte, notorious in New Orleans. I like to think of myself as a descendant of LaFitte because I'm a renegade! :ph34r: :lol:

Oh Mimzee, what a fabulous 'Family Tree', and I'd 'go with' Pop being Choctaw as it fits so nicely - also, ahoy and avast; har, har me matey!!! :D

Hello! I'm 54, going on 55. I'm not a newbie, but a returnie. Joined AVEN in 2005 and read lots and lots of threads, educating myself and just soaking it all in. Then got busy with a move from Salt Lake City, Utah to Portland, Oregon in 2006, and setting up a life for myself in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

It's good to be back on AVEN, and reassuring to hear there are lots of over-50s here!

Welcome back to AVEN, "ms. trish". We certainly do have an active 'Older Forum' - hope you participate and enjoy!!! :)

Welcome (back)! Have some :cake:

(I think I would like to move to Portland some day, but it won't be until I can retire - another 10 years or so most likely, if not more)

"daveb": I have heard such wonderful things about Oregon. I think of 'green and forestry, etc.', by the very mention of the name. Is the rainfall less than that of the Seattle area? Good luck with your plans, even though they are in the somewhat distant future!! :)

"daveb": I have heard such wonderful things about Oregon. I think of 'green and forestry, etc.', by the very mention of the name. Is the rainfall less than that of the Seattle area? Good luck with your plans, even though they are in the somewhat distant future!! :)

I believe Portland tends to be a bit warmer and a bit drier than Seattle (I wouldn't mind living there either, except it's a bigger city with all the traffic and probably higher cost of housing; I think Portland is more my size). But both are cooler and wetter than my current near-desert abode. I'm not a sun and heat kind of person by any means, so the NW looks more promising to me. I have visited the NW and like what I seen. (I know no place is perfect; I'm just looking for a better fit for my criteria)

I believe Portland tends to be a bit warmer and a bit drier than Seattle (I wouldn't mind living there either, except it's a bigger city with all the traffic and probably higher cost of housing; I think Portland is more my size). But both are cooler and wetter than my current near-desert abode. I'm not a sun and heat kind of person by any means, so the NW looks more promising to me. I have visited the NW and like what I seen. (I know no place is perfect; I'm just looking for a better fit for my criteria)

Thank you for your reply!!

Thanks for the welcomes and the cake, daveb and runester.

And, yes, Oregon is a wonderful place! I like living in Portland and exploring out in all directions--Washington too.

@"ms.trish": You are most welcome.

Will you be making Oregon your home for a while, though?

@"Daveb": I read your post to Mr.LG, and was curious about that myself. You seem to respond to both the "Welcome Topic" and the "past 50 Topic", in the same manner, with a 'Welcome message and cake'. I have a feeling that this is the topic (past 50), that is amenable to conversational posts, given the sub-title. I asked a question of you regarding conversing/welcome on post #220, but never received a reply. Am I correct in assuming that 'talk' is okay here?

Btw, you're doing a fine job in handling both sites!! :)

@"Daveb": I read your post to Mr.LG, and was curious about that myself. You seem to respond to both the "Welcome Topic" and the "past 50 Topic", in the same manner, with a 'Welcome message and cake'. I have a feeling that this is the topic (past 50), that is amenable to conversational posts, given the sub-title. I asked a question of you regarding conversing/welcome on post #220, but never received a reply. Am I correct in assuming that 'talk' is okay here?

I have no official capacity in any of these forums. Just trying to do my part as a member of the community (and I try to welcome new members where I encounter them). :lol: This particular thread is aimed more for people past 50 (not that other people are prohibited or discouraged from posting here), while the welcome thread is for anyone who wants to be involved there.

oops, sometimes posts get missed and I didn't realize that particular one was directed at me. I think this thread is probably the better one for conversing, in keeping with similar threads for other "age ranges" (like the thirtysomething thread). The thing with multiple conversations/topics is it can be easier for people to follow if topics are broken out into their own threads. Just going by personal experience from threads like the Heavy Banana one, as well as others I've been more involved in. That's just my personal opinion and nothing official.

@runester: Absolutely. I have no plans to leave Portland, although one never knows what the future will bring. Do you like where you live?

I have no official capacity in any of these forums. Just trying to do my part as a member of the community (and I try to welcome new members where I encounter them). :lol: This particular thread is aimed more for people past 50 (not that other people are prohibited or discouraged from posting here), while the welcome thread is for anyone who wants to be involved there.

oops, sometimes posts get missed and I didn't realize that particular one was directed at me. I think this thread is probably the better one for conversing, in keeping with similar threads for other "age ranges" (like the thirtysomething thread). The thing with multiple conversations/topics is it can be easier for people to follow if topics are broken out into their own threads. Just going by personal experience from threads like the Heavy Banana one, as well as others I've been more involved in. That's just my personal opinion and nothing official.

My bad!! Post #220 was not addressed to anyone. I feel comfortable assuming that the "past 50" Topic is the post can include conversations, as the last few.

The OP was "Boots57", who I expected to see on here, however, the folks who have been introducing themselves, and so nicely welcomed by you, with cake in hand, have taken part in some talking with both you and I, and maybe more folk.

I am gathering my research notes on Lemuria, so don't go anywhere!!! Please know that I am joking, but I do look forward to having some intellectual-type discussions regarding ancient history, for one. I am a regular contributor on "Heavy Bananarama", which is an "Older" site, but certainly accepts some, a bit younger(s). I am hoping "Mr. LG" finds us here. He is new, and needs to feel accepted, as do we all. I like his choice in reading matter, also.

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't look like Boots57 has been active since about a month after they started this thread (maybe they didn't find what they were looking for here?), which has morphed since then any way. I do think we have gotten more "older" members on AVEN, and even more "past 50" members in recent months. Some pretty cool, interesting and intelligent ones, too!

It is good for people to find acceptance. Of course, self-acceptance is important, too. :)

Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't look like Boots57 has been active since about a month after they started this thread (maybe they didn't find what they were looking for here?), which has morphed since then any way. I do think we have gotten more "older" members on AVEN, and even more "past 50" members in recent months. Some pretty cool, interesting and intelligent ones, too!

It is good for people to find acceptance. Of course, self-acceptance is important, too. :)

I don't know if I've mentioned it on these "Older" sites, but I am in my late 60s, and will happily put myself in your "pretty cool...etc." grouping. :D

The "self-acceptance" you mentioned, should come first, I believe; no matter what your age.

I'm on EDT, so it's bedtime now. Later, daveb!

Hello, "daveb". I do believe I am becoming desperate (joking). I actually posted on the "Making friends...20s and on", because I saw a few familiar faces/names!!

I hope this finds you well.

Btw, if you would prefer I not contact you in this fashion, please tell me. I will not 'take it' personally. You do need to know, however, that I am only interested in platonic relationships/friendships. I am an asexual, aromantic that has lasted my lifelong, and I am very happy with things as they are in my life. :)

Hello, "daveb". I do believe I am becoming desperate (joking). I actually posted on the "Making friends...20s and on", because I saw a few familiar faces/names!!

I hope this finds you well.

Btw, if you would prefer I not contact you in this fashion, please tell me. I will not 'take it' personally. You do need to know, however, that I am only interested in platonic relationships/friendships. I am an asexual, aromantic that has lasted my lifelong, and I am very happy with things as they are in my life. :)

no worries, runester

I am doing great (hiding indoors all day from the heat)

Mr.LG, I love castles and have visited a few in the UK and one or two elsewhere. I have a number of books on castles, too.

"Mr.LG": It will be good to hear from you on this site!!! Btw, are you a ghost believer? I trust in spirituality more than the spectre of ghosts; and they seem to connect to an 'after-life'. Boo-oo-oo!! :)

"daveb": Were any of the castles you visited in The UK, supposedly 'haunted'? Do tell!!! :unsure:

I don't know.

I don't believe in ghosts or spirits or an "afterlife" anyway. (it's not about closed minds vs. open minds either. it's about burden of proof and about logic, but I find it's usually best to avoid discussing because believers believe what they believe and I don't. best to just "agree to disagree" and leave it at that rather than risk rancor)

Visiting castles for real is fun. I am also a fan of fantasy and fantasy gaming (as well as other gaming genres), and a fan of history, too.

Hey all, I'm in my fifties for what it's worth. Not sure what's unique about it but what the heck.

I do know I'm ready for some changes in my life and been thinking about that. Been hearing some of the "small but frightening" requests David Whyte talks about. Not sure what they are yet but I'm pretty sure they're not compatible with my full time job.

What will be next?

Dunno, guess I'll find out.

Greetings to all from a lifelong Oregonian.

Oh my, there are now two of us in the midlands! Slade?

Welcome Ms. trish, I do hope you find the site useful. :) :cake:

Hello "Mr. LG": Glad to hear that your roofing is completed. What a task!!

At the risk of being redundant, I do 'envy' you your bookshelves. My reading list is so backed-up it's awful. About the only 'sacred geometry' I am close to acknowledging, is the rather off-handed global 'pressure-points', archetypal locales and symbols that have meaning to The Northern Tradition. If you have a different definition of the term, please explain!

I am very much, involved in divination, The Runes, and spirituality through yogic philosophy.

Not to interfere with your conversation with "daveb", but I was an avid D&D player in the '80s - (a 16th(?) level Magic-user/Thief); it was riotous fun with my teenaged son (a very powerful Cleric) and his friends (one of whom was a quite competent and fair DM). Enjoy your 'castles' discussion!

Welcome to AVEN "Ynot"!! Please feel free to join our discussions, or begin one that some of us may join in on. I noticed you did not receive any smileys and 'cake' from the "Welcome Lounge', so here goes:

:) :) :cake: :cake:

@"CritterPDX": Greetings right back at you, from a lifelong asexual; and that does mean something, to me anyway! :)

Btw, what is the full-time occupation of which you speak?