anyone past 50 on here?

A bit of good news and a bit of bad news. 

The good news is my loan is paid off now!  The final amount to pay came through in one day not the four days predicted by the bank.  I then phoned up the bank and was able to arrange to pay it off electronically (withdrawn from the savings account at the same bank).   I am now debt free.  

The bad news is I caught a cold on Tuesday evening.  It is one of the fastest times a cold descended upon me.  I was feeling fit and fine in the morning and visited my dentist for a cleaning (my teeth are fine so no dentist till 6 months from now!!).  Then in the late afternoon a sore throat crashed into my body.  It was a really bad sore throat too.  The next morning I awoke with the same sore throat and a sinus headache and feeling super tired.  I called into work sick and spent the next two days home from work.  I slept lots and took sinus headache medicine and finally today I am beginning to feel a little more like I can get back to doing more than lying on the couch!    The sore throat is mostly gone.  I have a mild cough.  And I'm still feeling a bit tired but I think I'm almost over the hump of getting over this cold.   I'm still rather amazed out how fast this cold arrived.  Usually I feel colds coming on.  This one caught me by surprise.  Knock on wood, that it will leave as fast as it came!  I have today off from work so will rest some more.   Anyone else experienced having a cold arrive suddenly?

Cathy

• Like 6

That was me just over a week and a half ago, @cdrdash (the virus, not the debt).  Sadly it is still hanging on!  I hope yours leaves faster!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, cdrdash said:

A bit of good news and a bit of bad news. 

Congrats on getting debt-free.

I hope the cold doesn't last too long.

It's funny, since I retired I have not gotten a real cold or flu or anything more than minor sniffles or the like. Maybe not funny, but more because I don't spend lots of time with lots of people. :P 

• Like 9
18 hours ago, daveb said:

she wasn't quite a drill sergeant,

In the Marine Corps, they are always "drill instructors". Some DIs aren't sergeants yet, so that descriptor is for other branches' basic training. Marines are more exact. :lol:

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

In the Marine Corps, they are always "drill instructors". Some DIs aren't sergeants yet, so that descriptor is for other branches' basic training. Marines are more exact. :lol:

Gomer Pyle mislead me! :P 

(joking)

• Like 6

I just got my DNA results and, like I suspected, I'm from everywhere but East Asia.

34% - England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe

12% - Portugal

10% - Cameroon, Congo, and Southern Bantu

10% - France

8% - Ireland and Scotland

4% - Eastern Europe and Russia

4% - Native American - North, Central, South

3% - Native American - Andean

3% - Germanic Europe

3% - Norway

2% - Baltic States

2% - Spain

1% - Basque

1% - Mali

1% - Middle East

1% - Northern Africa

1% - Senegal

Yep, I'm a mutt. :lol:

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Spotastic said:

I just got my DNA results and, like I suspected, I'm from everywhere but East Asia.

Cool. That is quite a mix. :D 

47 minutes ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

Wow, compared to that I am almost from one single place

Yeah, mine is more like yours.

Mine:

55% Great Britain and Northwestern Europe

18% France

17% Ireland and Scotland

10% Germany

(my sister's is similar, but hers included about 2% Sardinia)

• Like 8

Get well soon @cdrdash! I had thought I was coming down with a cold a couple times in the past year. But thankfully it didn’t turn out to be colds. Maybe it was just allergies.

I wonder how they can figure out nationalities or what illnesses you could get from looking at DNA?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

Wow, compared to that I am almost from one single place

Great Britain 69%

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 27%

Norway 3%

Germanic Europe 1%

2 hours ago, daveb said:

Cool. That is quite a mix. :D 

Yeah, mine is more like yours.

Mine:

55% Great Britain and Northwestern Europe

18% France

17% Ireland and Scotland

10% Germany

(my sister's is similar, but hers included about 2% Sardinia)

Interesting. I thought (know) that Scotland and Wales were in Great Britain. Does Great Britain just mean England here, perhaps?

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Interesting. I thought (know) that Scotland and Wales were in Great Britain. Does Great Britain just mean England here, perhaps?

I don't exactly remember the map and I have deleted my account but I think when they say Great Britain they mean the main island which includes all the UK but Ireland and the other they gave me as being more specifically not England. I only got the test to see if I could find my birth father, didn't work

• Like 5
rainbowwahine
23 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

@pickles mcgee My aunt is my mom’s sister. I also had a great aunt on my dad’s side who made it to 102. My aunt was soooo happy to see us today! We made her day! We brought her birthday cards and a box of oatmeal raisin cookies. She had fallen last year, broke her arm and fractured her pelvis. She recovered well and looked so good. She had a walker for her therapy but doesn’t need it anymore. She’s going to keep it though in case she may need it again and so not to have to buy it again.

On our way home from visiting my aunt I saw a TARDIS in someone’s yard! :lol: We stopped at a mall in one of the cities along the way, had lunch at an A&W rootbeer stand. Mom found a couple items she was looking for. I went to Barnes and Nobles and got a DVD set of Mr. Bean - The Whole Bean.

Changing the fluorescent bulb in the basement ceiling is a big pain to do and the last time I had to change it there was a dead mouse up in there!

I would love to have a Yardis in my yard! I feel your pain about changing lightbulbs, cleaning gutters, etc. ss so beam barely 5' tall. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I think the map and the terms are fuzzy - they can't really limit it to modern borders.

In another place on the site mine says England, Wales, Northwestern Europe and has a rough sort of circular outline that includes England, Wales, Northern France, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, and even bits of Germany. The Ireland and Scotland "circle" overlaps that one so Wales is mostly within it, too, along with bits of England. The other areas are similar in that they overlap and may included bits that are outside of the actual countries listed.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

Here's my DNA results:

Yours are a bit more varied/widespread, too. :) 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Spotastic said:

Lordy!  I am envious.  I'm from nowhere that would put any amount of melanin (and therefore sun protection) in my skin.  It has been the bane of my existence.

And you too, @faraday☘!

• Like 10
Guest Jetsun Milarepa
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Lordy!  I am envious.  I'm from nowhere that would put any amount of melanin (and therefore sun protection) in my skin.  It has been the bane of my existence.

And you too, @faraday☘!

Oh! I sooo identify with that one...

I'd love to know what they categorise any form of British ancestry as? Even Celts and Gaels have a lineage from beyond our shores 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

I'd love to know what they categorise any form of British ancestry as? Even Celts and Gaels have a lineage from beyond our shores 

I don't think that who they say comes from what locations goes back more than 1,000 or 2,000 years. If they traced it all the way back every one of us would result in "your ancestors come from Africa"

• Like 9
12 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Great Britain is the island - "great" because it's the largest island of the British Isles. So it does indeed include (the majority of) Scotland and Wales - but not N.Ireland despite the latter being part of the UK. However in loose, everyday usage sometimes Britain is used synonymously with the UK.

I would say that I think the percentages daveb gave are overlapping - i.e. that the 55% includes some of the other percentages - except that they add to 100%, which suggests they are exclusive, unless there are further results that aren't included. So I don't know really...

• Like 6

Everyone's DNA results are fascinating. I love @faraday☘ 's pie chart.  I know nothing about my father's side of my family and very little about my mother's and that might be a reason for wanting to do a test though I've never done it. Mind you, if I got results like Spotastic's, I'd be totally confused. I know I've got some Manx (as in Isle of Man not Manchester, the city)

• Like 7
On 1/10/2019 at 11:58 PM, pickles mcgee said:

That sounds breathtaking, Tyke, in more ways than one.  Have you posted pics?

Here goes. For those who have vertigo issues, watch at your own risk. The first 3 minutes (up until the tunnel!) are the worst. I'd also say that the railings are in a poorer state of repair now.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, michaeld said:

Great Britain is the island - "great" because it's the largest island of the British Isles.

That is what I have learned from my experience here on AVEN.  When I first came here, I thought that England = Britain, not realizing that Scotland and Wales were actually different countries.  I assume the British Isles includes Ireland?  Correct me if I'm wrong - but the UK is the nation, including all the colonies like Gilbralter.  Within that nation are individual countries like Wales and Northern Ireland.  One can claim to be British if from anywhere in the UK, but they can also claim to be Scotch or Welsh, or Manx (just learned that one from @Tunhope.

Because of my Mormon heritage, my family's geneology has been traced all the way back to the late 1700's.  All sides were from the British Isles.  My brother had a DNA test that basically confirmed our pedigree charts.  So, I really don't have much interest in knowing much more than that.   But I would really, really like to visit the UK, (and also Ireland), someday.

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Here goes. For those who have vertigo issues, watch at your own risk. The first 3 minutes (up until the tunnel!) are the worst. I'd also say that the railings are in a poorer state of repair now.

That was thrilling!  I loved the music as well.  What an incredible hike!

• Like 7
57 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

That’s lovely scenery but I would have really struggled without something to hold onto.  My fear of heights presents as an irrational fear of tipping over.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

Stunning! I'd do it in a heartbeat! Thanks for sharing, @Midland Tyke. :)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

That is what I have learned from my experience here on AVEN.  When I first came here, I thought that England = Britain, not realizing that Scotland and Wales were actually different countries.  I assume the British Isles includes Ireland?  Correct me if I'm wrong - but the UK is the nation, including all the colonies like Gilbralter.  Within that nation are individual countries like Wales and Northern Ireland.  One can claim to be British if from anywhere in the UK, but they can also claim to be Scotch or Welsh, or Manx (just learned that one from @Tunhope.

Yes the British Isles includes Ireland as well as GB, the Isle of Man plus about 6000 or so smaller islands. However the name "British Isles" is controversial in Ireland especially among nationalists, as the term British obviously has associations with the UK. Some prefer the term "Britain and Ireland" though I'm not sure that includes all the other islands in the archipeligo.

Unfortunately there is no consistently agreed usage when it comes to the words "country" and "nation". The UK is a country but you can also consider England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland to be countries too. "A country within a country". Ditto "nation". There are some people who try to make a difference, e.g. saying the constituents are nations whereas only the UK is a country. But there is nothing generally accepted along these lines.

However the UK is the sovereign state. None of England, Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland are sovereign states in their own right as they are all part of the political union making the UK. The UN member is the UK, other countries have an international relationship with the UK, with a UK embassy. So from an international perspective, it's the UK that's the country.

To confuse things further, I believe Gibraltar is not considered part of the UK though it is British. It's a British overseas territory and it's considered a dependency of the UK but not part of the UK itself. Same applies to the Falklands, Bermuda and other British overseas territories.

• Like 8