anyone past 50 on here?

2 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

If I can get off the chairlift without falling and get down the hill without injuring myself, I'll be happy.:lol:  

I am pretty fearful, I don't think that I could participate in something where "not getting hurt" is what is considered success

• Like 7
1 minute ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

I am pretty fearful, I don't think that I could participate in something where "not getting hurt" is what is considered success

Hence the lessons.  Though when learning, you do fall quite a bit.  I wear a helmet, wrist guards, impact shorts, and knee protectors.  All of which fit under my clothing (except the helmet) and are comfortable.  I skate too, but I don't fall when I skate, usually.:P

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

Same here. I've always said, "You'll never put 2 sticks on my feet, and push me off the side of a mountain." 😆

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Tja said:

Same here. I've always said, "You'll never put 2 sticks on my feet, and push me off the side of a mountain." 😆

I am very uncoordinated, I have told people that I can trip on a chalk line. I run into walls and door jambs all the time. Sports are just a no go

• Like 8
2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

If I can get off the chairlift without falling and get down the hill without injuring myself, I'll be happy.:lol:

Besides the fact that my back and knees, especially, couldn't handle the strain, the idea of the chairlift scares the crap out of me. I am very afraid of heights. I refused to do the rappelling in boot camp. Saying no to my drill instructors! :unsure:

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

Saying no to my drill instructors! 

That’s brave fearfulness!

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

the idea of the chairlift scares the crap out of me. I am very afraid of heights.

Same for me!

Just standing up on a chair to change a light bulb makes me nervous. Higher heights make me freeze up. :( 

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa
4 hours ago, Tja said:

Priceless! But I take my hat off to you @faraday☘ - more power to your snowboard!

My stairwell is open to the 2nd floor. I decided to hang artwork from top to bottom.

Had to use a ladder. :o Was trembling and sweating the entire time.

Went through an entire roll of paper towels to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Did I mention; while not afraid of heights, I'm terrified of ladders.

These were pre-flood. I took them down so the repair people wouldn't knock them down.

Spoiler

lFv5RES.jpg

dumC6pP.jpg

e5wrabe.jpg

jCLyMv4.jpg

May not go back up. We'll see...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tja said:

Had to use a ladder. :o Was trembling and sweating the entire time.  [...]

These were pre-flood. I took them down so the repair people wouldn't knock them down.  [...]

May not go back up. We'll see...

I'm confused--was the sweating and trembling pre-flood as well?  And that would mean the artwork is not back up yet?

If that is true, I would so love to come hang it for you!  I love ladder work.  I am not joking.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

@Tja how on earth did you get all of those pictures hung up in the first place?  there is no wall space to lean the ladder against!

😂

He must have a free-standing ladder, my favorite.  I do wish that top shelf to set the paint on was strong enough to hold my weight, though.  If reinforced I would definitely stand up there.  Although, you're right, Muledeer--come to think of it, how would a free-standing ladder go high enough or be able to negotiate the stairs?

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

😂

He must have a free-standing ladder, my favorite.  I do wish that top shelf to set the paint on was strong enough to hold my weight, though.  If reinforced I would definitely stand up there.  Although, you're right, Muledeer--come to think of it, how would a free-standing ladder go high enough or be able to negotiate the stairs?

They make ladders that work for stairs. just one example

https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/Stair-Ladders.html 

• Like 7

I have a high-ceilinged hallway with a recessed light that I avoid turning on any more than necessary, because I don’t know how I’d change the bulb if it burns out. :wacko: 

• Like 8

I'm the tallest person in the house by at least 6 inches, so I'm usually the one who changes light bulbs. Most of them I can reach without standing on anything, but there are a few that I need to stand on a stool for. I've gotten used to the low stools, but I can't do ladders either.

• Like 7
40 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

I have a high-ceilinged hallway with a recessed light that I avoid turning on any more than necessary, because I don’t know how I’d change the bulb if it burns out. :wacko: 

The architect needs to be fired. What is the point of adding a light that cannot be reasonably maintained?

• Like 6

I have a memory of being at the beach with my siblings and grandparents when I was a kid (I think somewhere around 2nd or 3rd grade) and my grandma wanted all of us kids to climb up a lifeguard tower so she could take a pick. I got up one or two rungs on the ladder on the side and absolutely refused to go any higher. (she wasn't quite a drill sergeant, but could be fairly strict and stern :lol: )

• Like 7

I've just completed a crazy walk in Madeira. This circular route finished off with a mile or so of walking along the rim of a water channel. The rim was about 50cm (1.5 feet) wide. The other side of the water was cliffs upwards and the path side had drops, often sheer, of a couple of hundred feet or more. I've never concentrated more on a walk in my life. I considered turning round, but we'd already walked over 2 hours and didn't have that amount of daylight remaining. And, we didn't know that the remaining part was all going to be like that. And no, there weren't railings for much of the time.....

• Like 10
52 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I've just completed a crazy walk in Madeira. This circular route finished off with a mile or so of walking along the rim of a water channel. The rim was about 50cm (1.5 feet) wide. The other side of the water was cliffs upwards and the path side had drops, often sheer, of a couple of hundred feet or more. 

I love interesting walks, but I think i’ll put this one on my must-miss list. :lol:

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@Tja how on earth did you get all of those pictures hung up in the first place?  there is no wall space to lean the ladder against!

I used one of those bendy ladders. I forget what they're called. The tops, and bottoms, are articulated so you can have them at varying heights.

I'd adjust the height, starting at the top, and working my way down.

I was able to slide the "feet" up or down. Sometimes, I'd have one foot on one step, the other on a higher step.

Sometimes at a slight, sidewise angle. Terrifying. Quite wobbly, but, I was determined.

3 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I'm confused--was the sweating and trembling pre-flood as well?  And that would mean the artwork is not back up yet?

If that is true, I would so love to come hang it for you!  I love ladder work.  I am not joking.

Yes. Pre-flood.

Sorry! I didn't mean to insinuate they've all come down. I've taken down the art I could reach. The higher stuff is still up there.

If I decide to put it all back, I should be able to place them without a ladder.

I'm just not sure I care enough to make this place look as good as it was.

• Like 8

@pickles mcgee My aunt is my mom’s sister. I also had a great aunt on my dad’s side who made it to 102. My aunt was soooo happy to see us today! We made her day! We brought her birthday cards and a box of oatmeal raisin cookies. She had fallen last year, broke her arm and fractured her pelvis. She recovered well and looked so good. She had a walker for her therapy but doesn’t need it anymore. She’s going to keep it though in case she may need it again and so not to have to buy it again.

On our way home from visiting my aunt I saw a TARDIS in someone’s yard! :lol: We stopped at a mall in one of the cities along the way, had lunch at an A&W rootbeer stand. Mom found a couple items she was looking for. I went to Barnes and Nobles and got a DVD set of Mr. Bean - The Whole Bean.

Changing the fluorescent bulb in the basement ceiling is a big pain to do and the last time I had to change it there was a dead mouse up in there!

• Like 11
Autumn Sunrise

That walk sounds very "adventurous", @Midland Tyke - I take my hat off to you :D I'm a little surprised that whoever's responsible for that path isn't afraid of being sued!

1 hour ago, MakeLoveNotWar said:

The architect needs to be fired. What is the point of adding a light that cannot be reasonably maintained?

I've often thought the same about some of the very high-set/inaccessible light fittings I've seen in expensive houses on "Grand Designs" :lol:

Those ladders are amazing! I can think of a few places around here (two-storey house with stuff - satellite dish, solar panels, solar HWS -  installed on the lower part of the roof) where I could really use a ladder with that kind of flexibility. But . . . would I have the nerve to climb it, or would I delegate to my son??

@Tja your stairwell looked amazing . . . and unusually high, to accommodate so many pictures. Did you stop to look at the pictures every time you went up/downstairs?

@faraday☘ I admire (and envy :D) your snowboarding success!

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Wow that's a serious art collection you have going on there @Tja ! Quite a job hanging and removing them. Glad your home is getting the renovation at last , after that flooding, but I sense you are about to move on elsewhere. At least after the house is all repaired, it'll be in tip top for selling.

@MakeLoveNotWar and @Semisweet, seems it's not just light fittings that are placed dangerously. Fire alarms are often put right over the top step on the stair. Great when they start to beep after the battery needs changed...usually happens around 3am.

Don't fall in @Midland Tyke! Probably reminiscent of that volcanic rim in Iceland.

Great longevity in your family @Gentle Giant, to live long and have a good quality of life is to be admired, especially recovering so well from those broken bones.

6 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

On our way home from visiting my aunt I saw a TARDIS in someone’s yard! :lol: We stopped at a mall in one of the cities along the way, had lunch at an A&W rootbeer stand. Mom found a couple items she was looking for. I went to Barnes and Nobles and got a DVD set of Mr. Bean - The Whole Bean.

Yays for both!

@Midland Tyke, you are quite welcome not to drag anyone else along that walk (I also hate heights) plus I'm clumsy :P

@faraday☘, great that you have found a new hobby

@Tja, describing your art collection as pre-flood is class, :P, it creates an image of a Florentine museum

These pupil dilating eye-drops I've had for a retinopathy exam are causing my eyes to lose focus, which is making typing interesting 

• Like 6
12 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

That sounds breathtaking, Tyke, in more ways than one.  Have you posted pics?

You think I stopped to take pictures? 😉 I'll try to find a link of people who did.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

@Tja your stairwell looked amazing . . . and unusually high, to accommodate so many pictures. Did you stop to look at the pictures every time you went up/downstairs?

Thank you, Sunny!

Yes. I was quite fond of them. I collected them during my work travels, through the years.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Tja, describing your art collection as pre-flood is class, :P, it creates an image of a Florentine museum

I've "put on airs", a time or two, but, even that's a bit much, for me.:P:P

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Semisweet said:

I love interesting walks, but I think i’ll put this one on my must-miss list. :lol:

😄

2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

You think I stopped to take pictures? 😉

🤣

1 hour ago, Tja said:

I've "put on airs", a time or two, but, even that's a bit much, for me.:P:P

Too late to take it back now!  :lol:

• Like 5