anyone past 50 on here?

I started my next set of classes yesterday, and it's going to be a busy couple of months. Every week I'll have a quiz in two classes on top of the forum work, readings, and Rosetta Stone work for Spanish. I'm hoping this Spanish class will help me become more fluent in the language, since I've taken 7 years of Spanish through middle school and high school, but still can't speak it very well. I really wish my dad had taught it to us when we were growing up, but he didn't, for reasons we will never know. In addition to Spanish, I have accounting for non-accounting majors and a digital literacy class that looks like it would have been more helpful to take as one of my first classes. I'll have to take it slow and see how things go.

• Like 9

A good friend of mine grew up in PR and now lives in California.  She always complains that many  of what were just normal/slang terms in PR are curses/obscene in Mexican Spanish.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Spotastic said:

I started my next set of classes yesterday

Good luck! 

I know what you mean about languages. I am not very good at picking them up. I have known people (like my mom and an old friend who was a translator in the army) who seem to pick them up much more quickly. I wish I had learned a second language as a little kid.

I made a small batch of peanut butter cookies from a mix this afternoon. I love them (too much) so I don't make them often. :P 

• Like 7

Im 62 anyone in Edmonton area want to meet for coffee  

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Welcome @grrr_Bear🍰! If you look on the meetup mart thread further down the forum list, you'll see what's going on in your corner of the world.

This, however is the best thread for civilised chat IMHO.

Thank You  nice of you to respond Chandra

• Like 6

@Spotastic, hope the studies go well :cake:

Happy days, the emoji function works properly on this new mobile. 

A brilliant, if minor "pride cometh before a fall" moment. Playing a darts match last night, first leg check out on 84 in two darts (my best ever), next leg, about thirty unsuccessful throws at a double to finish :P:P

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Playing a darts match last night, first leg check out on 84 in two darts (my best ever), next leg, about thirty unsuccessful throws at a double to finish :P:P

Not being a dart player, that sounds like another language to me!!!

7 hours ago, daveb said:

I know what you mean about languages. I am not very good at picking them up. I have known people (like my mom and an old friend who was a translator in the army) who seem to pick them up much more quickly. I wish I had learned a second language as a little kid.

I'm not good at them, either.... I took Latin in high school and also a year of French. For the past three years I have been learning ASL (American Sigh Language) but it is difficult! As an older learner, I find my memory is not that good anymore, and I have difficulty retaining information. I practice on my own and with a small group, and we also meet with a Deaf person every other week to chat/learn, but it's just not enough. I need total immersion (sink or swim!) but that is unrealistic.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, teatree said:

Not being a dart player, that sounds like another language to me!!!

I’ve played and it still sounds like a different language.  :)

• Like 6
jay williams
11 hours ago, ryn2 said:

A good friend of mine grew up in PR and now lives in California.  She always complains that many  of what were just normal/slang terms in PR are curses/obscene in Mexican Spanish.

Some cultures are uptight about words, especially if related to body functions and sexuality. English speaking cultures, that I am aware of, are that way. Some cultures are really accepting of words. For example, in at least some American Indian languages, there are no obscene or taboo words. 

• Like 9
5 minutes ago, jay williams said:

Some cultures are uptight about words, especially if related to body functions and sexuality. English speaking cultures, that I am aware of, are that way. Some cultures are really accepting of words. For example, in at least some American Indian languages, there are no obscene or taboo words. 

Agreed.  In this case, it wasn’t even that...  the slang words just had entirely different meanings.

• Like 5

Good luck with your courses,  @Spotastic. It sounds a very broad curriculum you're following even if the main area is narrow. I imagine that makes it more interesting.

Would that be a triple 20 and double twelve  @Skycaptainor the bull and double 17, or triple 18 and double 15...There are so many perms . I guess everyone has their favourite checkout. I don't play darts, but I think it's great to watch and when I had a TV, I used to love the way the commentator would say 'one hundred and eighty!!'

I got my songs mixed up, but at least I have learnt about turnpikes.

The NJ reference is Chuck Berry's You can't catch me, not Jonathan Richman's Roadrunner. He is driving around Massachusetts (at night with the radio on)

My husband cannot speak Spanish well, but he is able to read it well. He reads a lot of books by Central and South American authors especially the magic realism genre. He read '100 years of solitude' in Spanish and I read it in English at the same time. I can't speak any language other than English though I do try. A little Italian, a little Czech ( both for holidays ) and I've been learning Welsh for a few years now. Welsh is most curious!

And belatededly ( and finally) echoing hellos to @CustardCream and @grrr_Bear

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Good luck with your courses,  @Spotastic. It sounds a very broad curriculum you're following even if the main area is narrow. I imagine that makes it more interesting.

This semester I will be finishing up the last of my general education classes, which are a lot of electives I chose because they looked interesting. Afterwards, there will be a lot of analytics and statistics, with some business management skills thrown in.

14 hours ago, ryn2 said:

My dad once told me a story about a group of nuns that he talked to frequently at his church. One of them was from a Central American country that I forget the specific one. One day, she came into the rectory complaining about all of the mosquitos outside. "Mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos, everywhere you look!" That was in Spanish, but the problem is, the word for mosquito in her dialect is the word that Puerto Ricans use for penis. :lol:

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

Hello everybody, I am going to be away from AVEN for a year, as I will be too busy with other things. Wishing you all the very best. 💕

I hope you will be busy with good, happy things.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, grrr_Bear said:

Im 62 anyone in Edmonton area want to meet for coffee  

Welcome to AVEN from southern Ontario. A friend lived in Calgary and Canmore for quite a few years. Got to visit her a few times ☺

• Like 6

@Thea2 stay safe and have a good time :cake::cake:

• Like 4

Hope all goes well for you, @Thea2🍀 :)

Welcome, @grrr_Bear:cake: :)

I have the day off tomorrow. Mom and I are going across state to visit my aunt who will be 103 soon. Looking forward to seeing her.

• Like 9
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:45 AM, Muledeer said:

Yesterday, while driving around town, I ran a stop sign coming out of the post office.  One car was turning left and another was approaching the intersection to turn right.  Fortunately, both of these drivers were astute and saw my error and reacted appropriately before I realized what happened.  I felt so stupid, and I was driving the state-owned car I use for work.   I just forgot where I was, thinking about what to eat for lunch instead of paying attention.  No ticket, no accident, just a temporary blow to my self confidence.   One more reason why I will NEVER respond to my phone while driving.  I get distracted enough with my own thoughts.  I thought I was a pretty good driver, but this, coupled with the stupid minor accident I caused a couple of years ago makes me question my own driving skills.  

I don't often quote myself but I have an interesting follow-up to this story.  While driving through this same intersection today, someone ran the exact same stop sign I did last week.  Except, I was the person approaching the intersection with the right of way.  I saw the them run the stop sign and slammed on the brakes to avoid the accident.  It was close, as the road was slightly slippery but the antilock brakes worked as designed.  I'm not even sure if the other car knew they ran the stop sign, but I certainly understood how that happened.  Normally, I would think something like 'you dumb sh*t pay more attention' but all I felt today was a deep sense of redemption and understanding.

Today I went to a yoga class for the first time in a few weeks.  I got fat and out of shape over the holidays so I have some fitness work to do to get back in shape.

I joined an Indian friend and his wife for a homemade lunch of chicken curry and other delicious Indian food, and learned about the different gods of the Hindi religion.  

Welcome, @grrr_Bear I live several hundred miles due south of you!

We'll miss you and look forward to your return, @Thea2 

How did your snowboarding vacation go, @faraday☘?

• Like 9

Oh my, so many pages, and so many posts to respond to!  I can only catch up if I just respond to the most recent ones:

9 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

I have the day off tomorrow. Mom and I are going across state to visit my aunt who will be 103 soon. Looking forward to seeing her.

Incredible!  Is this a great aunt, or an aunt aunt?

8 hours ago, Muledeer said:

but all I felt today was a deep sense of redemption and understanding.

Awww...beautiful.

8 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I got fat and out of shape over the holidays

You are not alone. :ph34r:

Welcome to the newbies!!  🍰

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Happy Thursday all!

Just checking in here briefly today, as it's taken 30 minutes for this old Windows laptop to reconfigure and restart. I must remember to research new machines. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

PS...now that this seems not to be crashing..

Sorry to hear about the trouble on the Murray Darling River, for our Antipodean pals and also to anyone around Newfoundland where the ice up has caused unusual seal related events.

Autumn Sunrise

I believe the trouble on the Murray-Darling is occurring while at least one major irrigator has accumulated an amount of water, comparable to Sydney Harbour in volume, and far in excess of their legal allowance. Meanwhile smaller farmers and towns further downriver are going short, and now the river - Australia's biggest - is dying. I keep asking, how can such things be allowed to happen? Whose interests is our government looking after?

However, on a happier note (small mercies . . . ) we've just had a storm here, and received 25 mm of rain. It's beautifully cool and fresh outside, and there won't be any need to spend an hour or so watering the gardens in the morning :D

• Like 9
12 hours ago, Muledeer said:

How did your snowboarding vacation go, @faraday☘?

It went great. I really had fun.  I so want to move to Colorado. Socially, I fit in better than I do in Idaho.  I had fun meeting some friends.  As far as the lessons went, I did okay.  I had 2 full days and I think I'm sucking a little less each time.:D  I signed up for a simi-local 6-week adaptive snowboard clinic.  Actually the clinic itself is mostly ski, I think I am the only boarder.  It starts next week.  It's half-day, but it will be fun.  I'm looking forward to getting better.  If I can get off the chairlift without falling and get down the hill without injuring myself, I'll be happy.:lol:  

• Like 9