anyone past 50 on here?

2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Blackadder

Well, I have heard of that. :P (and seen bits and pieces)

I didn't know there was an SNL in the UK. :) 

Been doing some baking this afternoon - 10 dozen cookies baked. I ran out of baker's parchment, so I will have to get more and bake the rest of this batch tomorrow. Also need more containers to put them in for shipping out.

While doing that baking I've also been playing my solstice mix of music - includes old Christmas standards, newer Christmas songs from various artists, and a good sprinkling of Cthulhu Solstice music (based on old standards, but with Cthulhu-themed lyrics - they are well done and blend in with the other music if people aren't paying attention). :D 

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise
On 9 December 2018 at 9:48 AM, Nick2 said:

50 did not bother me all that much.  60 I really did not like.  Now I am 3 years away from 70 and that scares the hell out of me.  70 is old no matter how you look at it.   I should probably start to practice yelling for kids to get off my grass.

I wouldn't worry so much about that, @Nick2 . . .  I'm also 3 years away from 70, but on the other side :lol:. I still get lots of enjoyment out of life, and I intend to hang in there as long as I can :D I'm not worried about people walking on my grass, but I will admit to going spare when birds eat the fruit in my orchard! Anyway, it's when you don't care much about anything that you're really old :( . . . and 70 is just another number!

I looks like we might get some more rain this week, so I have everything crossed :D

Have a good week, everyone :)

• Like 8
50 minutes ago, daveb said:

I didn't know there was an SNL in the UK.

Oh, good!  I was feeling lonely in my ignorance.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, daveb said:

As for the ear-wax, they talk about "wet" vs "dry". "Dry" is much less common among people of European and African ancestry; more common among Asians and native Americans. And apparently it's also related to how smelly your armpits can be. :P 

Hmmm, I am Caucasian but have the dry flaky ear wax (just had my ears irrigated, so I'm positive about that!), and I don't even own deodorant because honestly, I barely sweat. My dad was the same way.

1 hour ago, daveb said:

While doing that baking I've also been playing my solstice mix of music - includes old Christmas standards, newer Christmas songs from various artists, and a good sprinkling of Cthulhu Solstice music (based on old standards, but with Cthulhu-themed lyrics - they are well done and blend in with the other music if people aren't paying attention). :D

That sounds lovely! I am currently listening to a Solstice CD as well, though yours sounds more eclectic and interesting!

• Like 6
29 minutes ago, teatree said:

Caucasian

well, it's not 100% confined to some groups and not others :) 

29 minutes ago, teatree said:

eclectic

that defines my musical tastes well :) 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

... He's a UK comedy legend.

I read Gridlock when it came out and absolutely loved it (and a few more of his books that I can’t remember the titles of). And I saw MaybeBaby when it came out. And I watched all the Blackadders. So I agree, a legend. SNL I’ve never seen.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, teatree said:

Which one did you use? I gave my sister one from ancestry, but I don't believe it gave any health info.

Mine was the same.  It was just geographical info.  I'd be interested in the type of ear waxy I have LOL!

• Like 4

Almost non-existent earwax here, but smelly armpits, and I've never heard of Ben Elton*, Blackadder, or UK SNL.

(*Not surprising, as I didn't know many comics until I discovered I could watch clips of stand up on YouTube.  I think it was Amy Schumer's breakout that first made me aware.  My favorite is Nikki Glaser.)

4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Then you can feel excited rather than old.

Loved this!  You so often hit the nail on the head, @ryn2!

I had to google "Cthulhu Solstice music" and "going spare" (though that last one I understood from the context).  Found some cute little Cthulhu plush toy images and wanted to post one, but couldn't get it to work.

• Like 6

This afternoon, I attended my first Ace group meetup.  It was a discussion session about queer platonic relationships, led by @TristanUtah at a coffee shop in Salt Lake City.  About a dozen or so people were there.  I learned about it through AVEN, thanks to a posting by @Biblioromantic.  I learned there is a rather large Ace community in Northern Utah - like well over a hundred participants of various meetups and activities.     I'm glad I went.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, daveb said:

a good sprinkling of Cthulhu Solstice music 

That sounds like exactly the kind of music my wife and I would listen to. You have any links or at least artist names?

As far as Ben Elton, I've heard of him, I've watched a bit of Black Adder (I don't know enough UK history to really get it), and I knew about UK SNL, though I've never seen any... and I'm only 36. :D

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

You have any links or at least artist names?

I put "Cthulhu Solstice music" into the YouTube search bar and a bunch of stuff came up.

1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

I learned there is a rather large Ace community in Northern Utah

I was living in Salt Lake City when I first heard about Aven and asexuality, back in January 2005.  That was before the 50s thread (or even the Oldies forum, I think), and probably before meetups, so I missed my chance by moving to Portland the next year.  I'm jealous of those high numbers and good turnout!  Either there's not as much Ace action here in Portland, or I'm not in the loop.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Spotastic said:

You have any links or at least artist names?

There were 2 CDs put out by the HP Lovecraft Historical Society.

Here's one of my favorites:

Spoiler

The line where he sings I read them out loud and the response cracks me up.

21 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

I'm not in the loop

Me, too (or me, neither?). :lol: 

2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I learned there is a rather large Ace community in Northern Utah - like well over a hundred participants of various meetups and activities.     I'm glad I went.

Wow. Cool. :) 

• Like 5
Biblioromantic
4 hours ago, Muledeer said:

This afternoon, I attended my first Ace group meetup.

We were glad to have you join us. It was nice to have a name and face to go with your screen name, @Muledeer. Also nice to know my posts in the Meetup Mart thread aren't disappearing into a black hole. :) 

• Like 8

Utah Aces great that you have a lively scene reasonably within reach of each other. 

Blackadder was a staple evening comedy when I was at school. As an aside Rowan Atkinson was responsible for the world's largest single car insurance repair bill, when he smashed a Maclaren F1, and did over £1 million damage. 

• Like 9
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

He has written loads of thought -provoking books as well, mainly aimed at the establishment...'The First Casualty', Popcorn, Dead Famous, High Society....just a few of the many Ben Elton books we have on our shelves.

I'm going to tag @Lilsi because it was her who had never heard of Ben Elton. And I hope she's amused by my original post in this thread (a few pages back now) and is interested in the subsequent responses.

• Like 6
21 hours ago, daveb said:

a good sprinkling of Cthulhu Solstice music (based on old standards, but with Cthulhu-themed lyrics - they are well done and blend in with the other music if people aren't paying attention). :D 

Off to YouTube and Amazon music I go...to hunt up the musical stylings of an Elder God. :D I mean, really, HOW can I resist????

Hope it doesn't drive me insane

I got a lot of rings woven this weekend, and finished the 2nd of 3 Christmas inlays.  I've only 1 to go, a couple of Christmas Ducks, and 15 days to get it all done, so I should be good. 

Sent out the invitation this weekend to host a small gathering at the new home (just the kids and the ex, as he has to drive my youngest over here), so looks like I'm gonna be jumping into dumpling-making.

Christmas is in full-swing in Downtown - but as it's not happening RIGHT outside my living room window, I'm not really in touch with it.  I might have to squeeze out a bit of time to tromp the streets and take pictures.  

Here's inlay #2:

• Like 10

Got to meet my new boss this morning very briefly.  Not sure when I will first meet with him one on one.  He will be my 7th boss at this company.  Of the six I have had now, I disliked 2 and the rest were OK.  I hope he will be OK!!   It was not fun to go to work when I disliked my bosses.

Spent the weekend hiking and watching NCAA women's volleyball.  I have season tickets to the Stanford women's volleyball team.  They have made it to the final four of the tournament and are the number one seed.  I was on the edge of my seat on Saturday night when they started super slow against Penn State.  Thankfully they figured out what they were doing wrong and won the match in the end.  It was a huge energetic crowd.  Very fun over all!  They play Thursday at 7 pm EST in Minnepolis, MN.  So I'll be watching them on TV.

Cathy

• Like 8
5 hours ago, EarthMama said:

Hope it doesn't drive me insane

You will probably be fine if you don't sing them out loud... :ph34r:

If you can't find the music on amazon or if you prefer to deal directly with the people who make it look at the link I posted to the HP Lovecraft Historical Society (or google them). They have their own webstore where you can buy the 2 albums as CDs or as digital content. :) 

Your chainmaille inlays look cool!

50 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

I hope he will be OK!! 

Good luck! Yeah, bosses you dislike are not conducive to an enjoyable work environment. I had a few of those in my early days of work. Fortunately at my last job I had several really good bosses (at least the ones I reported to directly - there was one manager at a higher level, but not in the chain of command that I dealt with, who wasn't the best and I'm glad I didn't work for him)

I finished baking the rest of the cookies. Now I need to make more dough and bake more. :)

And I still need to package stuff up for shipping and then stand in line somewhere to ship them.

• Like 8

Oh well, good planning fails. Looks like I'm buying presents on Friday after work to deliver on Saturday. 

I hate having a disagreement with my boss - especially as I'm self employed 😋 😋 

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Wish I was self employed! haha! It's our busiest time of year and all our customers are as fraught and stretched as a bowstring-yet-3 out of our 10 strong team are on holiday and a new lady has joined, which meant myself and a colleague were slowed down so we could train her (not too hard for us, as up till two years ago, she worked there on an older system).

To add to the sentence that has p**s up and brewery in, the team manager was sent away on training....😲

Spoiler

For friends across the pond we use the sentence 'Couldn't organise a piss up (drinking binge) in a brewery...for very poor organisation 😆

Mind you, I'm not complaining-it makes for a very short and sweet working day.

Hope your boss will be fun to work with @cdrdash.

Festive chainmailing @EarthMama, great colours (but I'm biased...) looks like a Saltaire.

My daughter quietly researched this lady who is my third cousin. Turns out she was a headmistress who retired last year. Daughter fired me off a local newspaper article about her retirement. I could have been looking at myself! Right down to the specs! Weird things these genes.

Ah, well, wonder what today will bring? Oh yes- an avalanche of last minute orders. Cheers!👍🏻

13 hours ago, daveb said:

Your chainmaille inlays look cool!

:D Thanks!  They're fun to play with, too.  I especially love the feel of them against the back of my hand.  I actually have a piece I tossed in the scrap bin (an early experiment that didn't work out) at work so I can play with it when I'm sitting on hold.

13 hours ago, daveb said:

I finished baking the rest of the cookies. Now I need to make more dough and bake more. :)

And I still need to package stuff up for shipping and then stand in line somewhere to ship them.

Mmmmm - cookies.  What lucky recipients, to get home-baked goodies!

13 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I keep picturing knights off to joust in their winter-themed protective gear.

**snork**  I just got myself an image of Jon Snow (from Game of Thrones) all decked out in a blue & silver snowflake pattern :D Winter is coming, indeed! 

7 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

I hate having a disagreement with my boss - especially as I'm self employed 😋 😋 

At least your boss knows what's on your mind!  He'll never be shocked when you yell at him :D 

7 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Festive chainmailing @EarthMama, great colours (but I'm biased...) looks like a Saltaire.

Saltaire?  Sorry, not getting the reference, unless it's the town that I found on Wiki?  Is it laid out in a similar pattern?

7 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

My daughter quietly researched this lady who is my third cousin. Turns out she was a headmistress who retired last year. Daughter fired me off a local newspaper article about her retirement. I could have been looking at myself! Right down to the specs! Weird things these genes.

That's pretty cool!  You have a doppelganger :D

• Like 8

@cdrdash How long have you worked at the company now? 7 bosses sounds like a lot, but if you've been there 20 years, that's different. :lol:

@chandrakirti When I was younger, I looked a lot like my dad. He had an ID from when he was 16 that he showed me when I turned 16, and if you made my skin a bit darker, we were identical. Now, however, I look a lot more like my mom's brother. He and my mom had the same biological father, but he disappeared after that. Very little is known about him (even the name he gave was made up) and he is a big part of why I want to see my DNA information. And why it'll be interesting to compare to my mom.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, EarthMama said:

Saltaire?  Sorry, not getting the reference, unless it's the town that I found on Wiki?  Is it laid out in a similar pattern?

It's a typo, I think. Saltire (without the 'a') is the name given to the Scottish flag - the cross of St Andrew.

• Like 6
fan fanackapan

I'm 50 and love rock/indie/60s music and dogs. I have a seven year old Rottweiler girl.

• Like 7
19 hours ago, daveb said:

You will probably be fine if you don't sing them out loud... :ph34r:

If you can't find the music on amazon or if you prefer to deal directly with the people who make it look at the link I posted to the HP Lovecraft Historical Society (or google them). They have their own webstore where you can buy the 2 albums as CDs or as digital content. :) 

I do believe you've just made my BF's Christmas.  He's a huge Lovecraft fan, and a person who dislikes 'traditional' Christmas music (as he works in a department store and is tortured every December by non-stop holiday music).  I just ordered both their CD's.

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Welcome @fan fanackapan! Another dog lover as well! Rotties are just big softies and 60s music is the bizz! 🍰

@Spotastic that sounds interesting, about the likenesses in your family  & @EarthMama, yes, it's fun to have a doppelganger! I bet there are loads in New Zealand. 

Yes - Saltire, quickly typed on the way out to work- there's a Saltire society as well, some branches around for ex-pats like me!

Off to the optician tomorrow...time for new specs. These multi focals are barely bifocals now..😆

1 hour ago, fan fanackapan said:

I'm 50 and love rock/indie/60s music and dogs. I have a seven year old Rottweiler girl.

Welcome and :cake: !

1 hour ago, EarthMama said:

I do believe you've just made my BF's Christmas.

Cool! I hope he likes the CDs. :) 

I was at my dentist's office this morning (cleaning and checkup - clean bill of dental health), and they had Christmas music on, so it was funny listening to those songs and recalling the Cthulhu versions. :P 

• Like 7