anyone past 50 on here?

Any Colorado residents here? Our esteemed Federal government didn't realize the consequences of legalizing pot without an accurate method of evaluating 'impaired' drivers. The field sobriety tests you see on COPS isnt used in Canada.

And then you have the patchwork of provincial regulations and retailing it. A lot of folks figure people will just use their previous 'supplier'.

And for the record I've never toked.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, ms. mortricia said:

@will123, like an equals sign? If so, it stands for equality.

Yes, actually the flag was on its 'end' so the rectangles would resemble an equals sign. 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, will123 said:

Our esteemed Federal government didn't realize the consequences of legalizing pot without an accurate method of evaluating 'impaired' drivers.

Whip out a bag of Doritos and see who grabs for them? ;)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

Whip out a bag of Doritos and see who grabs for them? ;)

It has to be a science based test (see breathalizer). Seeing someone stumble around and not find their nose isn't good enough for our courts.

• Like 5

Yeah, here they use stumbling and nose-missing as grounds to mandate a breathalyzer test.  Refusal of the test counts as failing it. 

• Like 5

Filling out my sample California voting ballot to discover which races I need to research more.  I have discovered that I need to do research on the local city council and school board races and the judicial folks.    The federal and state races were pretty easy for me to make an informed decision on. 

I also need to decide on Proposition 7 which has to do with letting the California legislature decide with a 2/3 vote what the standard time will be in California.  All the pro and con arguments in the voting pamphlet argue about whether eliminating day light savings time is a good thing or not.  But the proposition is only indirectly related to that issue.  Voting yes on it would not mean that day light savings time would definitely be eliminated so the arguments confuse me a bit.   I'll probably vote yes unless someone convinces me otherwise.  I was amused with the California democratic party's endorsement statement endorsing a yes vote: "Saves lives and money by stopping dangerous time changes."   Seems a bit overly dramatic.  All these years of daylight savings time I never once thought of it as dangerous ... annoying maybe but not dangerous!  

I vote by mail so intend to make my decisions by a Oct 30th, a week before Nov 6th, to assure my ballot gets there in time.  

• Like 7

Seldom if ever do we have referendum votes in Canada (mostly municipal) and if I'm correct the question is usually so vaguely worded or convoluted, the result is that the status quo remains.

It would be nice to get rid of daylight savings. One argument here is that someone is saying if we were to change the times, NHL hockey games in Alberta (Mountain Time) would be scheduled late at night local time. I don't know who dreamed that up. The Western Conference teams don't schedule their games for the convenience of viewers on the east coast.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, will123 said:

Seldom if ever do we have referendum votes in Canada (mostly municipal) and if I'm correct the question is usually so vaguely worded or convoluted, the result is that the status quo remains.

It would be nice to get rid of daylight savings. One argument here is that someone is saying if we were to change the times, NHL hockey games in Alberta (Mountain Time) would be scheduled late at night local time. I don't know who dreamed that up. The Western Conference teams don't schedule their games for the convenience of viewers on the east coast.

California has almost too many referendum votes.   There are 11 propositions on the ballot this fall.  There were supposed to be 12 but the California courts said that the process that needs to be followed to get it on the ballot was not done correctly and Prop 9 was removed from the ballot.  Prop 9 was to be about splitting California into three states: South California, California, and North California.  It was very unlikely to pass according to news reports I saw.  I would have voted no on it.

I thought about how TV scheduling would be affected by eliminating day light savings time.  I am not sure how it would work out.  I suspect the legislature will debate about that and about other effects it will have if Prop 7 passes. 

Cathy

• Like 3
2 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Prop 9 was to be about splitting California into three states: South California, California, and North California. 

Nooooo!  My beautiful California...

• Like 5

Britain and Australia to name but two nations have a roadside swab test for drug-driving. If this is positive you give an evidential sample of blood (I think) for analysis. The level isn't zero, as THC stays in the bloodstream for days. 

The idea of ditching daylight savings time is good in theory, but, and it's a big but, most technology is designed to automatically change to and from DST, so we'd have to reset all the clocks manually. 

The radio played "I just can't get enough" by Depeche Mode, I think my cats sing that every feeding time. 😋 😋 

• Like 7

@Skycaptain Remember how Y2K was supposed to play havoc with our computers? I imagine that is similar scare mongering.

Just pick a 'time' and leave it. Im pretty sure the farmers (the original reason) dont need sunlight to harvest their crops.

• Like 6

I would miss the nice long summer evenings, as much as I hate the switch to DST when it happens.

• Like 2

All the animals would prefer to go without the change. My kitties wake me even earlier than normal after the clocks go forward in spring. 

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

All the animals would prefer to go without the change. My kitties wake me even earlier than normal after the clocks go forward in spring. 

I don’t see that so much as I do them making a gradual change... they get up much earlier in the spring and early summer than they do in fall and winter.  Shifting the clock “catches us up” with them, which I guess was the original point back in the days of a larger agriconomy.

Before we “spring forward” they wake up ridiculously early... now, shortly before we “fall back,” it’s me and my alarm waking them.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, will123 said:

@Skycaptain Remember how Y2K was supposed to play havoc with our computers? I imagine that is similar scare mongering.

Just pick a 'time' and leave it. Im pretty sure the farmers (the original reason) dont need sunlight to harvest their crops.

Yeah. I think many devices that make the time switch already communicate remotely (through the web or something). Like devices that set the clock after power outages, or make the time change on the correct date even when the authorities have changed the date it happens on.

I'm not sure there are really any good arguments for the time change anymore, or if there are if they outweigh the arguments against it.

I found an interesting Nat Geo article at https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/daylight-savings-time-arizona-florida-spring-forward-science/

Personally I'd prefer to do away with it and just leave the clocks at one time year round.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Did you change the kitties clock so they know what time it is?

Ooooh, good point!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, daveb said:

Yeah. I think many devices that make the time switch already communicate remotely (through the web or something). Like devices that set the clock after power outages, or make the time change on the correct date even when the authorities have changed the date it happens on.

I'm not sure there are really any good arguments for the time change anymore, or if there are if they outweigh the arguments against it.

I found an interesting Nat Geo article at https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/daylight-savings-time-arizona-florida-spring-forward-science/

Personally I'd prefer to do away with it and just leave the clocks at one time year round.

Maybe in the early 20th Century 'modern' farming was limited by the amount of daylight. 

Now with lighting on most agricultural implements, farmers can work 24/7 weather permitting:

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Did you change the kitties clock so they know what time it is?

No need. Kitty clocks are always saying that it's food o'clock whatever you do 😋 😋 

• Like 5

So about a week ago I bought myself a keyboard. I've never really played a musical instrument other than the required recorder playing in school and the dabbling with a ukulele with my wife. People have told me for years that I have 'piano fingers', but I've never bothered to play. As of last night, I now know how to read sheet music and can play 'When The Saints', 'Ode to Beethoven', and the bass line for Queen's 'We Are the Champions'. Learning to play with both hands wasn't as difficult as I expected, but I've still only got the middle C and low C range learned. Not bad for working on it for about 5 hours in total, I think. :D

• Like 9

Today is my Friday off day!  I work 9 hour days and get every other Friday off. 

I'm at home waiting for, I hope, the Mancini Sleepworld service person to finally finish repairing the bed I bought.  The middle support was broken and today the service person is to arrive with a new middle support and install it.  Here is hoping this is the last visit and my bed delivery will be complete!  I also hope I get a less confused service person who doesn't seem to want to blame me for the parts being broken or missing.  

I will also spend some of today finishing up cleaning for family visits.  My sister and her husband will be staying with me Oct 23-25 and then my Mom, younger brother and his son will be staying with me Oct 27-Nov 1.   I have been doing major cleaning for a couple weeks now.  My place was in a bit of a mess.  Cleaning was low priority with all the hard things that happened all  year long.  Most of what is left is to make the guest bed and vacuum all over.    Oh and as I glance out my window, maybe some yard work!

Saturday I go hiking at a park near Pacifica, California with my Sierra Club group, Loma Prieta Gay and Lesbian Sierrans.    I'm hoping for sunny weather and not foggy weather as we are hiking up to the top of Montara Mountain and I want a nice view not a view of fog!  Sunday I'll be hiking at a park near Gilroy, California south of San Jose.   It is a future park that is being opened to the public for the next two weekends.  I want to go check it out while I am allowed.  My friend, Celeste, will come with me.   I will more than likely post pictures of my adventures when I get back from them.

Cathy

• Like 8

This week has been kinda weird.

I got a request almost 2 weeks ago for a mini version of one of my necklace designs.  Originally, she said she wanted the necklace and matching keychain as it was put up on Etsy, only in purple.  She also wanted to know if I made smaller versions of this piece for a matching bracelet.  OK...order some rings...that's the easy part :D 

The rings came in on Sunday, and I went directly into working out the smaller forms (because experimentation will always be the funnest part of creativity) and came up with the tiny heart she had mentioned.  Pictures shot and sent over to her, and she loved the tiny form.

For the next couple of days, we've been bouncing back and forth over chain options, metal options, color options, etc.  I've built a lot of sample chains in smaller gauges, which is a good thing, as I can add these to my master samples ring, and she's finally decided on a finished product.  

Sadly, she no longer wants the bigger form, and the tiny form will be a pendant with a full-length chain instead of a bracelet, but I'm still pumped about making a very special piece of jewelry that someone has ordered as a unique piece just for them.

Now I gotta sit myself down and build out her chain.  Should have time to do so this weekend, and the chain she ultimately selected is a fairly easy weave.  So I know now what I'm doing this weekend :D 

@Spotastic - congrats on picking up the keys so easily.  I piddle around on a keyboard now and again, but I don't have the musical acumen to develop any kind of proficiency.  I wanted to learn an instrument when I was a kid, but my parents didn't seem to think it would stick.  Guess they were right!

@cdrdash - let's hope this visit finishes your bed issues, and you're rewarded with many quality Zzzz's for you patience!   

• Like 11
2 hours ago, EarthMama said:

@cdrdash - let's hope this visit finishes your bed issues, and you're rewarded with many quality Zzzz's for you patience!   

The bed support is now installed and my dealings with Mancini Sleep world are over!  Yay!  The service fellow was better this time and did the job in good time.

I did the vacuuming.   I dropped a bunch of jig saw puzzles I no longer needed at the senior center on their free table.   I went to the recycling center that has a place to dispose of my old batteries and burnt out fluorescent light bulb.  I posted two items on freecycle and already someone has picked it up one of them.  I'm thinking that the other item may not be claimed.  It's a sort of ugly plaid dog bed cover I found today as I was re-organizing my linen closet.  Finally, I went grocery shopping. 

The only thing I haven't done and may not do is the yard work.   I'm ready to splat out on the couch and watch some TV!  :rolleyes:

Cathy

• Like 11

Hi all, and happy Friday.  I'm off to rock climbing and camping tomorrow.  I was supposed to meet friends out at a place called Smith Rock after work today, but it's a 3-hour drive and I was just too tired.  My new plan is to leave here by 5:00 tomorrow morning and catch them for breakfast, rock climbing and other fun, and then spend the last night with them before coming back on Sunday.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi all,

Been a busy week here, looking after some rodent scamps and fielding some funny phone calls. 

@Skycaptain, one call went like this: 'Hello, you're through to ....Lizzy speaking'.....'Hi, I'd like to go to....' 

Happy belated birthday @will123 ! hope you had a blast!😊🍰

Good luck with the renovations @EarthMama, bet it's satisfying, great parquet floor.

I'm not sure about this legal weed thing- on the one hand it takes the power from the criminals' hands (but they just move on to people and animal trafficking) and on the other, I've seen so many admissions with THC induced Schizophrenia or psychoses ....

@cdrdash, I'm also cleaning and tidying (as much as I can around these giant cages). Daughter et al is arriving around 6 pm for the night then heading off with their furry charges back home tomorrow morning. The plan is to go out for a nice meal tonight then in the morning we'll let them play in their pen while the cages get dismantled and cleaned, before they are packed away in the rented van for going home.

So it'll be just me again. Hmmm.....I wonder what other pets are waiting to be re-homed? 

Have a great weekend!

@cdrdash, good that this engineer got things right

@chandrakirti, bet you'll miss the furry guests

I'm Christmas shopping, ugh 

• Like 5