anyone past 50 on here?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Ooh @Mz Terry...that would be some great footage, if you could get the fox on film! Have you seen the clip of the fox using someone's trampoline ? They must have a field day (or night) once we've all gone to bed.

21 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

Sadly, @ryn2, I might have reached that point!!

I hear ya.  I take a medication that contributes to hair loss, on top of the age factor.  Whenever I seem to be shedding excessively I worry that “here I go”...

• Like 9

@Tunhope and @ryn2, age (with its hormonal changes) is most definitely a factor in thinning hair in women, as I can attest from both reputable articles and my mirror. :P But why must it thin only in the most visible spots on one's head? :huh:

• Like 9

@Mz Terry, I don't think Susie is stressed, just a guzzler.

@Thea2, there've been documentaries made about the 1953 floods, and how they did so much damage.

Unlike the Netherlands, Britain hasn't done much other than the Thames barrier. A repeat storm surge would probably be more deadly than before here, along with the environmental damage from several drowned oil refineries and nuclear power stations 

• Like 8

All the big stuff, and the bulk of the little stuff, is now moved.  Slept in the new house last night in my new lofted bed.  It was kinda weird to sleep that high up off the floor.  Both cats figured out how to get up there to snuggle.

They needed snuggles.  Spook does not take relocation well.  He spent most of the day hiding in the basement behind the dryer.  Poor thing was terrified.

After I dug him out of that hiding space, and introduced him to the new house bit by bit, he found a new space to hide under the couch until everything was quiet...then he climbed up for comfort.

Mariko spent most of the day bouncing around the house, meowing at EVERYTHING.  I took the bedding from the apartment (NOT clean sheets!) and tucked them on the ledge lining the basement steps.  She settled down once she had an 'up high' space that smelled of home.  

I have SOOOOOOO many boxes of stuff to unpack, and will have to organize cleaning on the apartment before too long...but I'm officially over the half-way mark of this thing.

And I FINALLY got the internet up and running here in the house, so I can relax a bit :D 

• Like 10

Welcome home, @EarthMama! Now you can get settled in. :) 

Another hot day here, with smokiness in the air from forest fires in the region. :( 

I was watching an episode of MASH last night and Colonel Potter mentioned that he was 62 (he was concerned about getting older and losing his touch as a surgeon). It made me stop and think. I will be 62 in less than 2 months. Seems odd to think I'll be the same age as Col. Potter was during that show. It also strikes me that actors in old movies often look older than they are. Or so it seems to me.

• Like 7

Cats are not fans of change.  When I first moved to my current house, one of my cats at the time howled all night, every night for three straight weeks.

• Like 8
BobRossRules
22 hours ago, daveb said:

Do you do something to cut down on their up-chucking? They're both long haired, right?

One is long hair, and the other is medium long hair.  I give them a hairball laxative once per week.  

Hairless cats are cool!!

Currently I'm doing a 30 day yoga challenge from a youtube series.  I'm on my third week.  I think I'm getting a bit stronger? 

• Like 7

Nice yoga work, @faraday☘.

I like hairless cats but I live in a house that’s almost 90 years old... no way I could keep it warm enough for them in the winter.

• Like 5
BobRossRules
13 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

I like hairless cats but I live in a house that’s almost 90 years old... no way I could keep it warm enough for them in the winter.

d2e42cbc39c1301ea0d535da77c4ada7.jpg

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise
12 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Re hair (and losing hair), I think I'm moulting. I'd like to attribute it to a sensible reaction to all the heat of this unusually hot summer but I've a sinking feeling that it's more likely due to age.

I like your first reason better :lol: but I fear that, as with me, the second explanation seems more likely! I just hope I don't end up hairless :o

@faraday☘ that cat is just too cute for words! What amazing eyes!

@EarthMama I'm glad you're past the half-way mark . . . Happy Homecoming :wub:

• Like 10
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Ooh! Lovely cat @faraday☘! Especially the knitted garment...

Now you can relax @EarthMama, just like the kitties.

@Semisweet, yes, the thinning is a nuisance. It can follow your dad's hair loss pattern , or granddad's Unfortunately for the women on my dad's side, it seems to be all over the top. My dad went bald early and ended up with just a little round the ears, so when I'm in my 80s...if I get that far...a bit rich , coming from someone who shaves their head anyway!😆

@EarthMama, congratulations on moving in. In Britain it's advised that you keep cats indoors for a few weeks when you move, to program into them that this is their new home, otherwise they may go back to where you used to live.

Susie decided to practise her pouncing skills on my ankle at 0520 this morning, humph 

• Like 9

@chandrakirti It's a common misconception that hair thinning comes genetically from the father when it actually travels through the X chromosome. That means for people born male, they can only get it from the mom's side, and for people born female, it can go either way.

I'm on my 7th week of school now, and so far I have a 93% in my Microeconomics for Business class and a 97% in my History of Science class. Next week is going to be very busy with two final exams and a research paper due. I have been enjoying the history of science class a lot more than I thought I would when I signed up for it (I've never cared much for history). I have to write a paper on which era of history has the most significance to science. I was thinking about the 20th century with the huge technology explosion, space travel, atomics, and so many other things.

• Like 7

Another history-NOT-buff who loved history of science here.  I actually loved it so much that I took a second semester of it.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Spotastic said:

@chandrakirti It's a common misconception that hair thinning comes genetically from the father when it actually travels through the X chromosome. That means for people born male, they can only get it from the mom's side, and for people born female, it can go either way.

I'm on my 7th week of school now, and so far I have a 93% in my Microeconomics for Business class and a 97% in my History of Science class. Next week is going to be very busy with two final exams and a research paper due. I have been enjoying the history of science class a lot more than I thought I would when I signed up for it (I've never cared much for history). I have to write a paper on which era of history has the most significance to science. I was thinking about the 20th century with the huge technology explosion, space travel, atomics, and so many other things.

So do men tend to lose more hair because if they have the hair thinning gene it's hemizygous?

Lots of things have been invented more than once, by different groups of people. But science only once, in Greece. So I would argue that that's the most significant point. You could argue when to start calling it science; I would say in the 5th century BCE by the sophists, everything followed progressively after that.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

@Spotastic, that doesn't really explain why my mother and her mother (and father ) had the thickest hair I've ever seen, yet, I'm thinning in exactly the same place as my dad. 

It does... men - well, men with standard X/Y - can only get the hair thinning gene on the X chromosome that comes from their mothers, but women can get it on either X chromosome (the one from mom or the one from dad)... or both.  Sounds like you got dad’s.

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm identical to my dad! Really funny. I look like him and have the same slight build , whereas my mother was the opposite. Wish I'd gotten more of her genes.

I tend to look more like my mother...and especially her mother.  As a cis-male, that's a hard thing for me to say or write because most people outside of this forum would think that means I am feminine.

• Like 7

I take after my maternal grandfather. Even have some of the same mannerisms, as well as general appearance. Enough so that people have mentioned it. Then again there are some things I didn't inherit, like his tolerance for heat and humidity.

• Like 7

@Muledeer I also take after my mom with a lot of my features, which is funny because when I was younger people always thought I looked just like my dad. It could be because I went everywhere with him back then. I look much more like a younger version of my mom's brother than my dad now.

• Like 7

I'm a fairly even blend of my parents, though my facial features are more like those of my dad and my paternal grandmother. Nonetheless, people have forever insisted I look "just like" my mother, and the older I get, the more I see the resemblance.  

• Like 8