anyone past 50 on here?

@Muledeer, I guess USA marmots are similar to European ones. Are yours a mountain species?

@chandrakirti, even though that billboard sounds like it's exaggerating a touch (according to the Met Office maximum temperature recorded in Britain today was 33.3°c, 93°f, they reckon somewhere in England could hit 37°c before this current pulse of hot weather passes, (unless you read the Daily Express who say that all records will be broken because they are addicted to meteorological hyperbole)

Sheeba (tabby cat) still wants it to be hotter though 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Muledeer said:

marmot cam

The marmots look like they've made themselves at home.

Looks like a fox (and a bat) in the last pic.

5 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Wow! 37C at 17.33pm! (that's 98.6F for all you people across the pond) . That's from the local council billboard . I feel like my legs are lead weights with this heat. It's going to be hotter as the week progresses. We're being warned to stay out of it (it'll be my pleasure to do that!)

Sounds just like the weather here this week.

5 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Let's just say they are very friendly!

I had a wonderful time in Idaho Falls. @faraday☘ has some mad food prepping skills. I would eat healthy at every meal if she was the chef!

Nice! 

2 hours ago, EarthMama said:

I'm officially at 5 days until the closing on my house!

How exciting! Nice chain work, too.

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

In spite of their fur, cats (and dogs), seem to like it when it's warmer. Maybe because they have a higher body temperature than people do.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Muledeer, I guess USA marmots are similar to European ones. Are yours a mountain species?

@chandrakirti, even though that billboard sounds like it's exaggerating a touch (according to the Met Office maximum temperature recorded in Britain today was 33.3°c, 93°f, they reckon somewhere in England could hit 37°c before this current pulse of hot weather passes, (unless you read the Daily Express who say that all records will be broken because they are addicted to meteorological hyperbole)

For some odd reason a weather report from the Daily Express features on the news feed on my phone.  I always glance at the news feed just before bed and there are screaming headlines of meteorological disaster to lull me to sleep.

• Like 7

@Mz Terry, the Daily Express have an obsession with weather, and every day they seem to post an overly dramatic weather related headline. I think that because I use the Met Office weather app daily, Google put anything weather related onto my news feed. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

the Daily Express have an obsession with weather, and every day they seem to post an overly dramatic weather related headline.

I think weather obsessiveness has certainly become widespread...partly, I think, because weather on the whole seems to be getting more dramatic, and partly because of the immediateness (is that a word??? Looks odd) of the reporting. And everyone can relate to it, since it affects us all.

• Like 7
On 7/24/2018 at 7:24 AM, teatree said:

immediateness (is that a word???

It is. 😉

Edited by Tja
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, teatree said:

I think weather obsessiveness has certainly become widespread...partly, I think, because weather on the whole seems to be getting more dramatic, and partly because of the immediateness (is that a word??? Looks odd) of the reporting. And everyone can relate to it, since it affects us all.

Immediacy?

• Like 7

The media in North America is obsessed these days with the weather. I think a lot of it has to do with 24 news channels.

Thirty years ago we would only hear about the most devasting tornadoes in the US Midwest. Nowadays even events that don't cause any injuries in Iowa or Kansas get mentioned on our news.

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Love those Marmots @Muledeer, they look like characters.that last photo looks like a fox - do you get them where you are?

@Skycaptain, @Mz Terry. @teatree , I bet the Greeks could have done with the Daily Express, poor souls. I've just seen a car engine that had  melted  and the metal alloys were trickling over the burnt ground. 😲

21 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I'm not sure - we've always called them rock chucks.  They are rather large rodents who chirp all the time.

19 hours ago, daveb said:

The marmots look like they've made themselves at home.

Looks like a fox (and a bat) in the last pic.

Yes, they have moved into my shed and the stacks of shingles in back of it.  The "bat" may actually be a large moth in that night photo.

40 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Love those Marmots @Muledeer, they look like characters.that last photo looks like a fox - do you get them where you are?

Indeed, we do have foxes.  In fact, the foxes follow the marmots.  I really haven't seen any marmot activity since that fox came by last week.  Those marmots have kind of become reliable "pets" this summer because they are always around, chirping, and hanging out watching me tend my garden and yard.  There were three of them earlier in the season.  I saw one dead on the highway and then there were two.  I think the large marmot with the white face is the mother.  

• Like 8
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I hope the fox didn’t make lunch of the marmots.  :(

what should it eat?

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

what should it eat?

But those were @Muledeer‘s gardening buddies...  :(

So I guess the fox should eat whatever else it likes.  Ours eat mice.

Getting attached to nature is risky, I know...

• Like 9

If the fox did eat the marmots, I wouldn't be upset.  That is just nature taking its course.  However, if someone shot them I would be really angry.  I have "no hunting" signs posted on my fences.    @ryn2, It is hard not to get attached to nature and all the wild animals when you live amongst them.  

• Like 9

I wouldn’t be mad at the fox... just sad at the loss of my cute friends.  Agreed that a person killing them wastefully for sport would be worse.

Some of it’s probably the novelty, too.  We have nothing like that where I live.  What we have tons of - whitetail deer.  I see them dead almost daily and rarely give it a thought.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

What we have tons of - whitetail deer.  I see them dead almost daily and rarely give it a thought.

And driving thru Pennsylvania is worse I think. Down there the road- killed deer are like the raccoons and porcupines in southern Ontario, withe the occasional deer. Moose/vehicle collisions are the worst. Imagine hitting an animal that can vary in size from a pony to a horse.

• Like 6

I live in an area where the humans have built their way through the deer habitat and now they’re in every suburban yard in some towns.  During mating season I often see more than one road-killed per mile on my commute.  They are a (cute) menace.

Moose are no comparison, though, for sure.  We have none this far south.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, ryn2 said:

I live in an area where the humans have built their way through the deer habitat and now they’re in every suburban yard in some towns.  During mating season I often see more than one road-killed per mile on my commute.  They are a (cute) menace.

Moose are no comparison, though, for sure.  We have none this far south.

We have them (along with deer) in our woodlot. They are a definite night danger on the roads.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

They are a (cute) menace.

Aren't we humans the menace?

Sorry, not picking on you. Just a pet subject of mine - we invade build in their territory and then describe them as a menace...

• Like 7
54 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Sorry, not picking on you. Just a pet subject of mine - we invade build in their territory and then describe them as a menace...

No, you’re completely right.  Deer and cars don’t coexist well and it’s not their fault.

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

From nature's perspective, that's putting it mildly.

• Like 10
58 minutes ago, will123 said:

We have them (along with deer) in our woodlot. They are a definite night danger on the roads.

Yeah, they’re very heavy compared to deer... and typically darker-colored too.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, ryn2 said:

No, you’re completely right.  Deer and cars don’t coexist well and it’s not their fault.

“Their” meaning the deer, not the cars!

• Like 6

In the interests of personal safety I've taken to tossing bags of dog poop into the unfenced  parts of my property where the deer like to hide. They burst out of those spots with great vigor when I accidentally startle them and I don't want to get trampled. It seems to be helping. That one bag that ended up in the apricot tree is a bit much though.

• Like 9

I'm glad I'm in Portland!

The National Weather Service said a new high of 127 degrees (52.7 Celsius) was set at California's Death Valley.

:wacko:

• Like 8

Question for those in The Netherlands and Belgium, what sort of temperatures are you experiencing? Just interested as we're supposed to be getting that air for the next couple of days. 

Deer are a road problem here. Many of our lanes are flanked by hedgerows, so if one jumps through you have no warning. 

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

A deer once put his hind leg through my sun roof as he ran down a hill next to the road and use my car as a springboard @Muledeer. Thankfully he wasn't hurt and disappeared into the forest on the other side of the road.

You're right @Midland Tyke, we're the ones out of balance with the rest of nature.