anyone past 50 on here?

It’s unusually hot here (29 C/ 84 F), and unusually dry. So dry, that we might drown. 🤣 Some of the old peat dikes may crack up, and need sprinkling. 

• Like 6

It was relatively cool here today! A nice change of pace, especially in the middle of July/Summer. :D 

My AC didn't even turn on.

• Like 8
20 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I just noticed that I wrote wall of windows instead of wall of mirrors. It was definitely mirrors.

I just thought you were having conversations after nightfall and the windows acted like mirrors.

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, daveb said:

It was relatively cool here today! A nice change of pace, especially in the middle of July/Summer. :D 

My AC didn't even turn on.

That was is yesterday.  Sadly, it was only yesterday.

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Well, seems we're having a slight dip in temperature with probable rain overnight, so I'm crossing my fingers that next week will continue like this, despite them saying it'll be back to 30C...yays for the weekend! I'm already on mine...I spent a night 'on the razz' with an old friend I haven't seen in ages and we appeared to have done a pub crawl , which isn't bad for two old teetotallers! 😆😆🤪

We're definitely having a bizarrely dry spell, mind further north a well known drought-breaker has worked. The Open Golf Championship has brought the first rain to the Edinburgh area for ages 

• Like 8
12 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

'on the razz'

I had to google that. Now I know. I learned a new to me British expression I never heard before.

• Like 7

Lovely refreshing showers today.  Not enough to refill reservoirs maybe, but will refresh the gardens, and the cooler temperatures will refresh the gardeners.

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Haha! @daveb, it 's probably a bit misleading to say we were on the razz as there was no drinking alcohol at all 😄 but we did paint the town red! It was bad enough for me to get 2 hours sleep before work. There was such a lot of catching up to do....was a painless Friday though.

One of my colleagues told me I'd just broken the record - I did 2000 orders (paper and telephone) last week. They worked it out as one every 1 minute and 5 seconds! My reply was that there was no alternative because we had a workload that was brutal, with a sudden influx of unexpected orders. 

Looking forward to a chilled day with some ace friends tomorrow...although the wind is rising and we expect a bit of rain overnight, the forecast is for another sunny one tomorrow ...now, where did I put that big sunhat....

I got summoned for jury duty in September! Have done it once before, about 20+ years ago--for a rape case. 😐  But how come some people NEVER get summoned??? 

• Like 11

In my county we get summoned every three to six years depending on the caseload, and registered voters (and people previously summoned) are the bulk of the list.

Speaking of countries with no comparable jury selection system, isn’t attorney/law degree an undergraduate, three-year program in NZ?  I remember a friend (who is a NZ lawyer) telling  me that...

• Like 6
BobRossRules

I've been summoned once, but I got out of it.  I have something on my record now, so I won't get summoned in the future.  A long time ago, I went with a friend who was summoned for the jury selection process.  When they called her and asked her questions, her responses were absolutely insane.  She made a deliberate effort to be exceptionally biased and even said some outrageous and shocking statements such as all men are controlling bastards and they only thing that they're good for is sperm donation.  I was speechless.  Needless to say, she was dismissed.:unsure:   

• Like 9

I served on juries a few times. We often got called when I worked for the university many years ago. I think it was because they knew we got our full salary for however long we were on jury duty. I also got called a few times at my last job, but I often would get dismissed when I called the night before like they tell you to. A couple of times I had to got to the court building, only to get dismissed sometime during the day. I never got called in for actual jury selection there.

Another not too hot day, but another heat wave is supposed to be on its way, starting Sunday and through the rest of next week. Still a good excuse to have ice cream. :P 

• Like 7

I've served three times as a juror (one of those as an alternate, dismissed before deliberations). Earlier this year I was summoned and questioned for a civil case but wasn't picked for the jury. And several other times I've been called but then didn't have to come in. I think at a certain age (maybe 70?) in my area, you don't have to serve at all if you don't want to. Another decade or so to go... :P

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Never been asked to sit on a jury although a colleague some years ago had a week off to sit in on a rape case. That would have given me the heebie jeebies , so I'm hoping I never get called up...it would be like something out of '12 angry men' if I did! 😆

Here's something weird. every time I try to use the cake emoji,  I get a row of faces instead. I've had to just erase 4 and leave the one. Gave up on the cake.

Happily I've never been called for jury service, which sounds very much like hell. 

I think there should be a rule that, if at all possible, people who are working should be exempt from serving. 

• Like 6
9 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

She made a deliberate effort to be exceptionally biased and even said some outrageous and shocking statements...

A former coworker of mine tried this.  The judge told him it was so obvious he wanted to be excused that they were going to make him stay just because.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, daveb said:

I often would get dismissed when I called the night before like they tell you to. A couple of times I had to got to the court building, only to get dismissed sometime during the day. I never got called in for actual jury selection there.

This pretty much sums it up for me, too.

• Like 4

If courts offered a blanket exemption from jury service for all working people, they'd have a tough time filling juries. Even as it is, I imagine a sizable percentage of people who get summoned don't show up. That's not to say it isn't a hardship in various ways for many working people to serve, plus jury pay is a pittance.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

Happily I've never been called for jury service, which sounds very much like hell. 

I think there should be a rule that, if at all possible, people who are working should be exempt from serving. 

On one hand I feel this way... but if I am ever accused of a crime I would also prefer that my jury include at least some people who are employable and who may understand my background, life, and viewpoint.

I got summoned for Grand Jury (up to one day a week for six months with the possibility of one renewal!) recently and was pretty darned glad I wasn’t selected, though!

• Like 7

Within 10 days of getting the summons, I had to go online and fill out the "juror questionnaire," so I got it over with last night. They wanted to know, among other things, if myself or any immediate relative has ever been a police officer, or been a defendant in a court case. Yes to both, since my sister was a cop for many years, and another one was tried for a felony. Don't know if those answers will INclude or EXclude me! And yes, @Semisweet, if 70 or over, one does not have to serve. Also, I could never give crazy answers to get out of it....

• Like 8
BobRossRules
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

A former coworker of mine tried this.  The judge told him it was so obvious he wanted to be excused that they were going to make him stay just because.

She was very clever in doing this though. So came off as pretty genuine.  

• Like 6
BobRossRules

AND @pickles mcgee arrived safely!!  They dogs were really annoying.  They get so excited when visitors come, they just can't shut off their delight.  In exchange for driving all the way to Idaho Falls, she got covered in hair and trinkled in slobber.:lol:  Fair warning @daveb.:P

• Like 8
To Each Their Own

Every time I get summoned for jury duty I try very hard to get on the jury. I want to see what it is like so bad! I’m 0/5 so far. 😔

Am I seriously the only one here that thinks jury duty is cool as shit? (At least while we still have the right to it, because the way things are going in the US…who knows.)

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, To Each Their Own said:

Am I seriously the only one here that thinks jury duty is cool as shit? (At least while we still have the right to it, because the way things are going in the US…who knows.)

Although I agree it's an interesting process, I did not think the case I served on was cool. In the beginning, everyone else on the jury said the guy was guilty...except me. Maybe/probably he WAS guilty, but all the testimony and evidence was inconsistent. (I was surprised it even came up for trial.) Can't convict on "probably," just because you think the defendant is a scumbag. After 3 days, it was a hung jury, 6 vs 6. Have no idea what happened afterward, if there was a retrial or charges got dropped. As the original lone holdout, I found it to be a very uncomfortable process. But I guess that's how it's supposed to work, right?...

• Like 7
To Each Their Own
5 minutes ago, teatree said:

Although I agree it's an interesting process, I did not think the case I served on was cool. In the beginning, everyone else on the jury said the guy was guilty...except me. Maybe/probably he WAS guilty, but all the testimony and evidence was inconsistent. (I was surprised it even came up for trial.) Can't convict on "probably," just because you think the defendant is a scumbag. After 3 days, it was a hung jury, 6 vs 6. Have no idea what happened afterward, if there was a retrial or charges got dropped. As the original lone holdout, I found it to be a very uncomfortable process. But I guess that's how it's supposed to work, right?...

Exactly! 

Im just thinking through as a defendant, as a victim, as juror…so many moving parts. It’s facinating to me how they all come together and how a jury talks it all out (even if it’s hung in the end). 

I was recently run over by a car, both of my legs are broken and I’m in a rehab facility trying to learn to use my legs again. I still don’t know who ran me over (it was a hit-and-run), but on the off chance that it does see the inside of a court room I’m glad there will be a jury there. I’m pretty sure the defendant will feel the same way. 

• Like 6

I was hoping I would never get called for jury service but the age here in the UK was raised to 75 in December 2016 so I still might get called. I ihate the thought of sitting in judgement on people but I suppose that it's a better system than having one possibly bribable and/or bigoted person in the chair. I'm sorry to read about your injuries @To Each Their Own. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

• Like 8