anyone past 50 on here?

Apparently, a BBC spokesperson has recently said that because the Beeb is so diversity/ inclusivity conscious, there will never be another series made by 6 posh,  white blokes. He was specifically refering to the Monty Python crew. Seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me. 

• Like 7
7 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

How was the Hollywood show, @daveb?

It was great. (some Hollywood people were in the audience - Tim Conway sat a few rows in front of me and seemed to enjoy the show)

I think Portland is a wonderful place, but maybe I am biased.

I agree (but I'm retired and rarely have to deal with rush hour traffic). :)

@faraday☘ and I have been communicating about me possibly stopping by to visit with her in Idaho on my way to Utah, and it looks like it will happen!  I am really looking forward to it.

Yay! I am sure you both will have a great time! :D

I'll be visiting there in a couple of months myself. :D 

• Like 9
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Well it's going to be an interesting weekend....the river festival is in full swing from tomorrow morning, I have my daughter and her bf coming tomorrow as well. Last year 250,000 people came to Bedford, my idea of a nightmare! 

But...we'll be taking a look, probably at the Dragon Boat Race, and the decorated canal boats.

So, have a great weekend all!

Been enjoying the First Night of the Proms on TV.  I love The Planets, especially 

Such wonderful melodic writing.  Holst was an interesting man.

• Like 7
14 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

In other news, I'll be leaving next Thursday for a road trip to Utah; I usually go back a couple times a year.  @faraday☘ and I have been communicating about me possibly stopping by to visit with her in Idaho on my way to Utah, and it looks like it will happen!  I am really looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, daveb said:

Sounds like @faraday☘'s going to need plenty of black beans, then :D 

Just about ready to head on out the door...should be a quiet weekend, plenty of time for packing things.

• Like 9
BobRossRules
19 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

In other news, I'll be leaving next Thursday for a road trip to Utah; I usually go back a couple times a year.  @faraday☘ and I have been communicating about me possibly stopping by to visit with her in Idaho on my way to Utah, and it looks like it will happen!  I am really looking forward to it.

Me too! It will be fun.:D   

5 hours ago, EarthMama said:

Sounds like @faraday☘'s going to need plenty of black beans, then :D 

I have some soaking now.  I mixed a little bit of split peas and mung beans with them too.  I've never had mung beans before.  

11 hours ago, daveb said:

I'm looking forward to that visit too.

I'll also have my ex-husband's daughter and her husband visiting in August.   

Today I had a dentist appointment for a cleaning and checkup, which went well.  I used to always battle plaque and tarter buildup, but since I've changed my diet, that has really improved.  After my appointment, I went to the mall to buy some jeans that fit me.  

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!:)

• Like 13
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

OOH! @Mz Terry, time to see if there are any cheap seats up in the gods at the Albert hall. Summer's not over till they have been and gone.😊

For some random reason I fancy bagging a ticket for 'the Lieutenant of Innismore'....it ends in October, so I guess I'd better be fast.

Well, the whole shebang has kicked off! From 7am, the music and boating started. So much for my lie in then.😆

Lots of movement and travel! Once upon a time I went to PSU and OHSU but Portland was too busy. I need a quiet place. I do miss the bookstores though. Once in a while I miss Hawthorne. I haven't been there in 12-13 years. The central Idaho mtns are a better place for me. In 1979 I pedaled my bicycle though Utah and Idaho and Oregon before going down the coast highway. I hope you have fun.  I stay put now. Happy smiles and waves to you from afar as you go by.😊

• Like 8

@pickles mcgee, enjoy your road trip, safe travels, and I wish you and @faraday☘ a delightful visit.

@chandrakirti, I hope you survive the river festival with no damage to your eardrums! 

I'm lying low this weekend trying to get over a cold that has left me hoarse most of the week. Several colleagues/friends have declared upon hearing my froggy voice, "You sound sexy!" How do I even respond to that: "Um... woo-hoo?" :huh:

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Several colleagues/friends have declared upon hearing my froggy voice, "You sound sexy!" How do I even respond to that: "Um... woo-hoo?"

Ribbit? 🐸

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

Ribbit🐸

That is too funny! I may crib it (no rhyme intended:lol:).

• Like 8

frog would say "forsooth"

• Like 5

On the mosquito note, they have been eating me up lately. They will flock to me and ignore people next to me... On the travel note, I hope I won't have to do any for a long time to come. On the black bean note, I have a recipe for some black bean burgers that I've been meaning to make. So good.

After most of my second week of school, I am enjoying things so far. I have also been very, very busy. Besides the usual work I do around the house, I have had 4 essays, a quiz, and a term paper to do this week. I still have the latter 2 to finish and will be working on them today. But so far I have a 94% in my Microeconomics class and a 100% in my History of Science class. I'm a bit behind on my note taking, but it doesn't seem as necessary for these classes as it has been for me in high school from what I remember. I was never much of a note taker, though. :lol:

• Like 11
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Good one @Semisweet! Hope your throat heals soon. 🍰

Well, plan changed! Daughter and BF pressure washed my garden (good excuse for another water fight with the hose on soft ) and then she tried out her sari for her Sri Lanka trip in October, wish I'd gotten a photo of that, but as I went with them and got the heads up on a great new phone (the windows one  I had was obsolete) I haven't gotten everything sorted to take photos yet.

As it's over 30C (that's 86F to our USA friends), I decided to stay indoors and avoid another dose of trouble.

As it'll all be on again tomorrow, I'll be there before the heat.

Sounds like a great name for a frog @froglady - Forsooth the frog!

@Spotastic , good for you, that's a lot of work you've done , crossed fingers for a high score everywhere.👍

10 minutes ago, froglady said:

frog prince would say "forsooth"

FTFM

(fixed that for me) :)

(so it would be a forsoothsayer?)

8 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

I am enjoying things so far.

I was wondering how it was going. Sounds good. :D 

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, daveb said:

(so it would be a forsoothsayer?)

It seems inevitable. Hope it doesn't require a license. 

• Like 7

Looks like we're having another week with no rain, although temperatures are supposed to drop on Tuesday, after the latest flirtation with 30°+

Good that your college program is going well, @Spotastic, although boo to essays 

• Like 7

I used to hate essays but I think I’d look at them differently now.

• Like 4
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Welcome @Peace.of.mind and @susan mary ! 🍰👍

Well that was lovely! (In parts). Loads of really interesting and some rather quaint barges, canal boats, yachts and a really strange speed boat. It seemed to be attached to the driver by a line and when he suddenly jumped into the river and swam away from the boat , it followed him. the line seemed to be some kind of propulsive device, so he was able to swim as fast as his speedboat and dive like a Dolphin using it. Has anyone seen this before?

Laugh of the day...I got on the chat with the local community health service who had a stall there and came away with some freebies...so now I am the proud owner of some assorted condoms and badges saying 'can't pass it on'....😒😁

Thought of the day...watching 'Talking Pictures ' TV station....just to stay out of the heat. There was a film called 'The Southern star' which had Ursula Andress in it. Before it was shown , a disclaimer that said 'this film may not be suitable for children' and I noticed that in a couple of scenes where there were topless ladies (it was set in Africa and there was some dancing..) and where Ursula was swimming, they pixellated out their boobs!!! Is it just me , or is that a bit rich considering the video games (and stabbings) that are going on close to home among the youngsters? Maybe I'm getting old, but us 60s kids sound quite libertarian (compared with pixellated boobs!).  

Here's t another good week!

13 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

...and a really strange speed boat. It seemed to be attached to the driver by a line and when he suddenly jumped into the river and swam away from the boat , it followed him. the line seemed to be some kind of propulsive device, so he was able to swim as fast as his speedboat and dive like a Dolphin using it. Has anyone seen this before?

That sounds very James Bond!

• Like 8

...and, yes, I’ve always found it interesting that female toplessness in a culturally/socially believable, non-sexual setting is OMG Protect The Children but violence is fine to show everyone.

• Like 11
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I used to hate essays but I think I’d look at them differently now.

I love learning, but I don't miss the essays and other paperwork. :P

3 hours ago, Peace.of.mind said:

Howdy! I’m at level 56 in life! Glad to be here! 👍

Welcome and :cake: !

13 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

...and, yes, I’ve always found it interesting that female toplessness in a culturally/socially believable, non-sexual setting is OMG Protect The Children but violence is fine to show everyone.

Agreed.

Gotta save the kids from seeing nipples. 

• Like 10
8 minutes ago, daveb said:

I love learning, but I don't miss the essays and other paperwork. :P

Welcome and :cake: !

Agreed.

Gotta save the kids from seeing nipples. 

"But think of the children!"

• Like 9