anyone past 50 on here?

2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

All the Gemmas I've known have used the soft G. 

Same here, but it’s cool to know some people opted for the opposite.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, ryn2 said:

but it’s cool to know some people opted for the opposite.

I was asking Autumn how the name is supposed to be pronounced.  Like if I was unfamiliar with the name Geoff, the answer would be Jeff.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Geoff

Pronounced like "get off", but without the "t". ;) 

• Like 7

New to the site, but old to the world. I'm 55. I know I'm coming in late on this thread, but since I don't know my way around yet, I figure I'll dip a toe in here and there and see what happens. I'm a bit relieved to see others in my age range. I felt a little trepidation about joining at first for precisely that reason. Nothing against the young ones, but I feared I might've jumped into a group decades younger than me and that would've made me feel self-conscious. Now I can flaunt my wrinkles and grey hair (well, goatee . . . I shave my head) with ease. Nice to know that if I reference AC/DC no one's gonna suggest I use a USB outlet instead. 

• Like 12

Hi Joe. How well I understand your trepidation! 

As regards bugs, folk with bites, I'm plagued with cat fleas at the moment. We've (husband, me)  used three spray cans on the carpets, tried two different spot-on prescriptions and we're still getting fleas in every room. We go round the house with bits of masking tape stuck to our clothes and when we get a flea, we rip the tape off and stick it on the flea! Bindweed outside and fleas inside! And I love the sound of all that food - especially if someone else is making it.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I was asking Autumn how the name is supposed to be pronounced.  Like if I was unfamiliar with the name Geoff, the answer would be Jeff.

I got that... I just meant that - for people to be reacting the way they did - it sounds like some folks do pronounce it like Gamma with an E (which I would never have thought of).  :)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, daveb said:

Pronounced like "get off", but without the "t". ;) 

We call ours at work “Gee’ off” and he Does Not Like.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Joe Guzman said:

New to the site

Welcome and :cake: !

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, @Joe Guzman :cake: :cake: :cake: Hope you enjoy the company and conversation here :)

Frosty again this morning - bed is nice and cosy, but I'll have to get up soon! At least it looks like being sunny today :D

• Like 7
BobRossRules

@Autumn Sunrise I'm so sorry about your dear little chicken.:(  I'm glad the kitties are doing well.  

Not many mosquitos here in Idaho, well at least in my area.  And thank goodness no midges.:o      

21 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Portland is pretty famous for being a hippie/hipster enclave, and lots of the names are beautiful and amazing.  

I'd fit right in then.:D

Hiya @Joe Guzman!!  Welcome.🍰

• Like 7
59 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:
22 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Portland is pretty famous for being a hippie/hipster enclave, and lots of the names are beautiful and amazing.  

I'd fit right in then.:D

You would. ;)

Plenty of vegan eating options, too. :D 

• Like 6

@Joe Guzman, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

Lots of folk seem to be taking a post football day off, the roads are empty despite the fact that we lost. 

• Like 6

Re. mosquitos/midges. We don’t have midges. I used to get mosquito bites in the face at night sometimes. Then someone told me mosquitos smell. I stopped mouthwash at night, problem solved. 😊

• Like 6

Soft G where I live does sound a bit like dj... and that’s what we use for “gem.”  I can’t really come up with something for our hard G but it’s at least midway back in the mouth...  a lot farther than soft G.

I’ve been to Seattle a couple of times, but never to Portland.  I’d like to see it eventually.

• Like 7

I've used their rings before.  They sell things in AWG instead of SWG (wire gauges) so I have to do extra math when I order from them to get the sizes right.  They also use softer tempers on their metals so their rings are easier to manipulate.

I don't use them often, because when I do sculpture, I need really hard-tempered rings that fight back to hold shape.   

Hmmm - I think I still have a couple of their kits that I've never put together.  Do I build, or shove the kits in a box and build later? :D 

The one thing about the move I'm NOT looking forward to are the mosquitoes.  All those ferns in the backyard are a perfect place for the little bloodsuckers to hide.

• Like 9
Just now, ryn2 said:

:(  I have mosquitos in my ferns.

That made me think of

"My hovercraft is full of eels" :lol: 

• Like 8
1 minute ago, daveb said:

That made me think of

"My hovercraft is full of eels" :lol: 

Hah, yes!

• Like 6

Reminds me of the time a pet shop sold me a dead parrot...😋

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

Le singe est dans l'abre

:ph34r:

Eddie Izzard? 

(I saw him do a show in Hollywood once and talked to him very briefly afterwards at a "meet and greet" for audience members)

• Like 8

I love Eddie Izzard, but I've only seen him on YouTube.  How was the Hollywood show, @daveb?

@ryn2, I think Portland is a wonderful place, but maybe I am biased. ^_^  I'm coming up on my 12th anniversary of living here (July 29), and after the initial shock wore off, I grew to love it.*  So much to see and do within a 2-hour radius--beach, mountain, lake, forest, desert--plus great city stuff.  (*It did take a good year, though; I had put down deep roots in my 31 years in Utah.)

In other news, I'll be leaving next Thursday for a road trip to Utah; I usually go back a couple times a year.  @faraday☘ and I have been communicating about me possibly stopping by to visit with her in Idaho on my way to Utah, and it looks like it will happen!  I am really looking forward to it.

Cheers to all!

• Like 10
9 hours ago, daveb said:

Eddie Izzard? 

(I saw him do a show in Hollywood once and talked to him very briefly afterwards at a "meet and greet" for audience members)

Yes!

• Like 7