anyone past 50 on here?

1 hour ago, Emjay537 said:

As far back as I can tell I'm all British/Irish but the DNA apparently includes several other areas of Europe & even a bit of Asia. Them Viking raiders probably got a lot to answer for

Yes, as well as Welsh, Scottish, Irish, English and Western European ancestry, my DNA shows a strong Scandinavian and Southern European ancestry I can't account for by genealogy. Supposedly, one of my ancestors came over from Normandy with William the Conqueror - difficult to verify as the records get very wobbly before 1400. If so, given the strong Viking presence in Normandy, that might account for the Scandinavian bit. There's also some claim to Roman heritage given some, ahem, breeding between Romans and Welsh ancestors from Carmarthen way, but that is even more difficult to verify by genealogy. 

• Like 6

Yes Isle of Man - home of Manx cats, the TT (motorcycle races) and kippers (superior in every way to Scots ones). In a litter of Manx kittens ther may be some with normal tails, some with part tails (called stumpies) and the true tail less. They can also have spina bifida - it's because of the gene that causes the absence of a tail.
It has one of the two oldest continuous parliaments in the world  - Tynwald Day is 5th July . The 'three legs' on the Manx flag 'Bows to Ireland, Kneels to England and Kicks Scotland :) . It has always had its own Parliament and the Queen is 'Lord of Mann' :) 

• Like 12
13 hours ago, ryn2 said:

That would likely depend on your current relationship to your childhood religion.  If you’re in a place where you’re able to enjoy very irreverant fun being poked at it, sure... but otherwise you might come away triggered and/or offended (and that’s not a fun use of money!).

Well, I think I'm a born atheist, so I never cottoned to the Mormon thing. But I do have a very specific sense of humor and don't always like what other people like. If the show weren't so darn pricey I would give it a whirl. I remain curious about how Mormons are portrayed in pop culture, plus if there are laughs to be had I am all in.

• Like 10
11 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Well, I think I'm a born atheist, so I never cottoned to the Mormon thing. But I do have a very specific sense of humor and don't always like what other people like. If the show weren't so darn pricey I would give it a whirl. I remain curious about how Mormons are portrayed in pop culture, plus if there are laughs to be had I am all in.

Maybe someday you’ll get the chance to see an off-(off-off-)Broadway production so you can check it out without risking the bank!

I’d say it’s roughly Life-of-Brian-level irreverance, just aimed a different direction.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Spotastic said:

It's almost as bad as the NJ Turnpike.

For unpleasant roads in this country, that's a tough one to beat. :huh:

1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

I’d say it’s roughly Life-of-Brian-level irreverance, just aimed a different direction.

I love most musical comedies but haven't gone to see "Book of Mormon"; I'm not a big fan of scatological humor, which it is said to have a lot of. On the other hand, most people I know who've seen the show thought it was hysterical. 

• Like 8

I have been avoiding that thread! :P 

Today we had a nice walk through the forest and then up the riverbed, up the glacial valley. But couldn't get up close to the glacier (which has retreated quite a ways up the valley). We saw a swingy bridge across the valley, but it wasn't on our agenda (thank heavens!). The rest of the day was mostly the long drive to Queenstown, with some spectacular views of forests, mountains, lakes and waterfalls. It was well after dark by the time we got to Queenstown. The agenda for tomorrow is the trip to Milford Sound. Apparently it's going to be another long day, with lots of time on coaches/buses just getting to the boat and then back to the hotel in the evening.

We did drive through Cardrona (after dark) and saw the hotel there (I think it was in one of MT's photos?),

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, daveb said:

Today we had a nice walk through the forest and then up the riverbed, up the glacial valley. But couldn't get up close to the glacier (which has retreated quite a ways up the valley). We saw a swingy bridge across the valley, but it wasn't on our agenda (thank heavens!). The rest of the day was mostly the long drive to Queenstown, with some spectacular views of forests, mountains, lakes and waterfalls. It was well after dark by the time we got to Queenstown. The agenda for tomorrow is the trip to Milford Sound. Apparently it's going to be another long day, with lots of time on coaches/buses just getting to the boat and then back to the hotel in the evening.

We did drive through Cardrona (after dark) and saw the hotel there (I think it was in one of MT's photos?),

That's two long days, @daveb! Yes, there was a Cadrona Hotel picture. I hope you have good weather tomorrow, because the drive from Te Anau to MIlford is wonderfully scenic. Actually the first part of Queenstown to Te Anau is pretty good too. And the boat trip on the Sound will be enhanced by sunshine. Fingers crossed.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, daveb said:

I remember going to one of those tourist traps as a kid - can't remember where it was or what it's theme was, but I do remember going through a dark tunnel-y place that had a swingy rope bridge across a pretty deep cut in the Earth, and being terrified of that crossing.

Probably why I don't like heights now unless I'm on a solid footing.

For the 2nd day in a row, I've been allowed to walk to work...Gawds, does this feel fantastic!  What a mood-booster!

• Like 9

My not-sure-if-he-still-wants-to-be-my husband got fired today.  Well, he got 60 days’ paid leave and then will be fired at the end.

It’s interfering with my enjoyment of the nice spring weather we’re finally having. :(

• Like 5

Had a great day cycling along the waterfront and at the beach. Only to hear about the deadly van 'attack' when I got home.

I wore my ace ring (which nobody noticed) but felt quite comfortable wearing it. Bumped into an acquaintance at the beach and came out to him. He was quite cool with it. I asked him if he had ever bumped into any folks that identified as asexual. EDIT: Yes he had. I'm not sure of his identity (not that it matters), but I know he interacts a lot with members of the LGBT community. He said human sexuality is one big 'spectrum' and there are many 'tangents' to it. He did say that one person was quite relieved when they found out that they were asexual. I told him when I read the article in the paper, it was like a lightbulb went on above my head and I felt so much better.

• Like 13
27 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

My not-sure-if-he-still-wants-to-be-my husband got fired today.  Well, he got 60 days’ paid leave and then will be fired at the end.

It’s interfering with my enjoyment of the nice spring weather we’re finally having. :(

:o  I am so sorry for you; any change is always quite hard to deal with, I find, and this will be a big change. It really is annoying; after your long wait for the spring to arrive, and now this spoils it. :cake: :cake: :cake:

• Like 7
Gentle Giant

@ryn2 Sorry that your husband lost his job! That is terrible! I hope you both can cope with the change and he can find a new one soon.

I had a very busy and productive day today. Getting ready for my mom to come home tomorrow. I think it’s a bit soon, but hopefully we can manage it. The hardest thing will probably be getting those darn tight leg length socks on and off her! She has to wear them to prevent blood clots.

I was thinking how we talked about not liking to talk on phones earlier. I had a lot of calls while mom was in the hospital and while I did like hearing from these people, it was so very tiring! I’m not used to talking that much.

The other day when we had that snow, I was shoveling some off the driveway and this little fat round robin comes hopping over the snow bank right up to me. I greeted the robin and then it hopped on down the driveway into the street. I bet all the birds were confused by our winter weather when it should be spring.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, will123 said:

Had a great day cycling along the waterfront and at the beach. Only to hear about the deadly van 'attack' when I got home.

Was very sad to hear about the attack, as were my coworkers.  TO is always so safe. :(

I’m glad it didn’t wreck your outing.

• Like 5
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Haha! Good one @Tanwen! Oddly enough, we supply pharmacies in the Isle of Man and in my experience, they have trouble even filling out an order form, never mind kicking a Scotsman's butt!:lol: As for the smokies, being vegetarian, I've never punished myself with either an Arbroath one or a Manx one (good job too, as Sellafield nuclear power station discharges into the sea around the Isle of Man...

Yes, that was a very sad news story @ryn2 and @will123, it's a new way to use vehicles and a very cowardly one at that. Hope your husband gets employment soon @ryn2, crossing my fingers for him.

@Gentle Giant, there's a trick to putting those socks on. Firstly, a good rub of talc on the leg, then there's a way of folding them at the sock so that they roll up. Ask a nurse to show you before you both go home, as it's a hard job otherwise.

How brave of you to come out like that @will123, maybe your friend will find other local aces.

Thanks, everyone!

@Gentle Giant a donning aid might also help your mom with her compression/antiembolism stockings.  They are so hard to put on!

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yes @ryn2, these donning aids are usually found in A&E , for putting on the Tubigrip bandages and they come in all sizes to fit arms and legs. It's a round frame that the Tubigrip covers, then the limb is put inside the frame and then the Tubigrip is pushed off and the frame withdrawn at the same time , so that it lands in place nicely. I've never seen one of those used with anti embolic stockings because the stockings have the feet which would mean putting it inside the sock end. Is it the same kind of device?

@chandrakirti I have seen donning aids here that form three sides of a square so they can be removed from the front of the limb rather than out the foot.  But, yes, same idea.

• Like 5
Gentle Giant

I did have the nurse show me how to put a sock on. Turning it inside out and bringing it up to the little patch at the heel and then put it on. Mom also has some kind of device that has 3 sides to it. Mom says she knows how to use it, so we’ll see how that goes.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

I did have the nurse show me how to put a sock on. Turning it inside out and bringing it up to the little patch at the heel and then put it on. Mom also has some kind of device that has 3 sides to it. Mom says she knows how to use it, so we’ll see how that goes.

Glad you are both girded for Stocking Battle.

• Like 7

I had a delightful weekend.  Went to a planned get together in Salt Lake City with two friends, sat around and drank beer all afternoon.  We hatched an idea to have a ranch excursion to my place in the Uinta mountains, and went up there Sunday afternoon, where another friend joined us.  We have all been friends since before high school, and have since scattered away from Utah.  We partied like it was 1980 all over again around the campfire, with three dogs in the mix!.  I took yesterday off work and we hiked around the ranch and even tackled a project of removing an old sofa from an old trailer.  Also, yesterday just happened to be my 55th birthday, but that was an aside to everything else.

• Like 12
8 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

@ryn2 Sorry that your husband lost his job! That is terrible! I hope you both can cope with the change and he can find a new one soon.

I had a very busy and productive day today. Getting ready for my mom to come home tomorrow. I think it’s a bit soon, but hopefully we can manage it. The hardest thing will probably be getting those darn tight leg length socks on and off her! She has to wear them to prevent blood clots.

I was thinking how we talked about not liking to talk on phones earlier. I had a lot of calls while mom was in the hospital and while I did like hearing from these people, it was so very tiring! I’m not used to talking that much.

The other day when we had that snow, I was shoveling some off the driveway and this little fat round robin comes hopping over the snow bank right up to me. I greeted the robin and then it hopped on down the driveway into the street. I bet all the birds were confused by our winter weather when it should be spring.

I imagine the robins around my neck of the woods are probably equally puzzled. Looking at the yard today and we're back to where we were before the snowfall a week ago.

• Like 6
On 4/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, pickles mcgee said:

On 4/23/2018 at 7:45 PM, ryn2 said:

Maybe someday you’ll get the chance to see an off-(off-off-)Broadway production so you can check it out without risking the bank!

I had thought about checking it out when it was on stage in Toronto. LOL on the Life of Brian I remember the outrage when it was first screened. As a Monty Python fan you know I had to see it. For some reason this will pop into my head every now and then:

Other than that scene, I can't remember anything else about the movie.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

How brave of you to come out like that @will123, maybe your friend will find other local aces.

(I've edited the original post to reflect that has met other aces in the past)

Thank you :) ! I've chatted with Marty during previous visits to the beach (clothing optional) and he's a very non-judgemental person. He refers to himself as 'The Keeper of the Cool'. Kind of a welcome wagon/referee person. Last year some younger girls were taking selfies of their group. An older regular beach goer (with some issues) went off on them about the camera as their use isn't appreciated as you can expect. He was yelling at them and they were bewildered. I could see from where I was sitting that there wouldn't be a chance of him getting into their shots. He wandered off and I went over to apologize for his behaviour. It turned out that this was their first visit. I told them that at times cameras aren't welcome (I've seen other beachgoers taking selfies with no issues). They appreciated the heads up.

A bit later the Keeper walked by and I told him about the 'interaction'. He came back before I left for the day and told me he had spoken to the guy. Told him to straighten up. As much as the acquaintance is easy going, he won't put up with people berating others when they're just there to enjoy themselves.

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Oh, that's very interesting @ryn2, I've never seen a three sided square device, thanks for that.

@will123, we saw the Book of Mormon last year and my impression was that it says more about religion as a whole than Mormonism in particular. Mind you, the Osmonds are very good ambassadors for it.:D

@Muledeer, happy birthday 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

@ryn2, hope possible-husband-to-be finds a new job quickly

Almost all the trees have exploded into blossom here, the late start to the season means there's no gradual bloom as usual. Bluebells are out at last, nearly two weeks behind not very far from me. 

• Like 8