anyone past 50 on here?

23 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

We were watching movies. I decided to watch the shape of water. It’s about a merman, with a hidden weener. There was lots of nudity, sex, and masteebation sceemes, I was kinda embarrassed with @daveb sitting there right next to me 🤭.  The movie itself wasn’t that good. 

I loved it. I didn't really register all the things you mention as being standout as I found the story and character development compelling. But then I don't find nudity embarrassing and only find sex scenes unbearable when they are gratuitous or last too long. Otherwise both nudity and sex fade into the background of the story, like wallpaper. Each to their own, I guess!

• Like 7
20 hours ago, daveb said:

But isn't that because the Celtic languages borrowed those from Latin? 

It seems both Celtic and French borrowed their words for 'church' from the Latin ecclēsia (“church”).  'Eglwys' is pronounced "egg-lus" so when you say both words, you can hear the similarity. I'm not so familiar with French* so I have no idea how 'eglise' is pronounced. It's likely though that 'eglwys' in Brittany came from Wales and Britain rather than being derived from the French. The Breton language was imported from Britain (hence the name) and the Celtic languages of the British Isles, as well as Breton, are all grouped under the term Insular Celtic, so it is difficult to imagine that one word would flow back from Brittany to the rest of the British Isles. And the strong Roman presence in Wales and Britain would have ensured that such words crept in relatively early.

*I started learning Welsh (given my Welsh ancestry) but gave up due to lack of people with whom to practice. I've forgotten most of it now. I had the same experience with learning Swedish.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, will123 said:

My background is the proverbial dog's breakfast.

I think all our backgrounds are when you start to look into it!

I can trace my father's side of the family back to the 1400s because they were poshy (Barons and Marquesses and the like). They are a mixture of Welsh, Irish, Scottish, and British. I can only trace my mother's side of the family back to the mid-1850s because they were not poshy. They are a mixture of German and British. My mother must have known her great-grandparents were German yet she never mentioned it. I can only assume that because her father fought in WW1 and she lived through WW2 that she thought it was a family trait best kept a secret.

• Like 7
On 4/20/2018 at 6:37 PM, Thea2 said:

there is no Dutch Holland. 👻👻👻

Useless Fact No: 343 - Australia was originally called New Holland or Nova Hollandia. Named by the Dutch seafarer Dirk Hartog in 1644. However, the seafarers of that time missed mapping the whole SE part (see map below from 1681), so when the Brits arrived, they claimed that part as New South Wales. The rest was called New Holland until around 1832. However, even after that, many people from other countries still referred to Australians as "New Hollanders".

1280px-_Globe_Coronelli_Map_of_New_Holla

• Like 10
BobRossRules
5 hours ago, Kazbe said:

I loved it. I didn't really register all the things you mention as being standout as I found the story and character development compelling. But then I don't find nudity embarrassing and only find sex scenes unbearable when they are gratuitous or last too long. Otherwise both nudity and sex fade into the background of the story, like wallpaper. Each to their own, I guess!

My mind is naturally in the gutter at all times.  I’m sure the storyline was great.  

• Like 7

@Spotastic, at least the pooch got plenty of exercise last night -_-

They say exercise is 50% mental, so I'm listening to the Marathon today :P:P

• Like 8
5 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I’m sure the storyline was great.  

Nope. It was very simple. All the 'goodies' were downtrodden minorities. All the 'baddies' were cardboard monsters.

• Like 4

Eglise is close to ā glēz’ so, yes, the spoken similarity is definitely there.

My family background is a similar dog’s breakfast, but distributed a little differently.  My father’s family was German and

French, with the French side only coming to the US as adults in his parents’ generation (so, very late 1800’s).  My mother’s was German, Scottish, and Protestant Irish.  Her father was born in the US in the very late 1800’s; her mother was adopted as a toddler a few years later, speaking only German.  No one knew (well, no one was telling) if she was born in Germany or born in the US/elsewhere to German-speaking parents.

She developed OBS, a type of dementia, in the last year or two of her life and once again spoke only German... after almost 75 years of speaking exclusively US English in between.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Kazbe said:

Useless Fact No: 343 - Australia was originally called New Holland or Nova Hollandia. Named by the Dutch seafarer Dirk Hartog in 1644. However, the seafarers of that time missed mapping the whole SE part (see map below from 1681), so when the Brits arrived, they claimed that part as New South Wales. The rest was called New Holland until around 1832. However, even after that, many people from other countries still referred to Australians as "New Hollanders".

Wow, that's amazing, I didn't know any of that. Thanks for the info. :cake: Beautiful globe in the picture. 

• Like 7
12 hours ago, will123 said:

... United Empire Loyalists from the US after the War of Independence.

I'd like to hear more about this from your perspective.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

... in the last year or two of her life and once again spoke only German... after almost 75 years of speaking exclusively US English in between.

Oh, that's such a poignant story. :mellow:

• Like 6
50 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

Oh, that's such a poignant story. :mellow:

For the last few months of her life she barely spoke at all, but sang nursery songs to herself in German.  It was sweet, but sad.

• Like 4

On the subject of French and English, I remember being told at school that words starting with e with an acute accent (how do I do that on a keyboard, anyone?), could often be translated into English by replacing that first letter with an 'S'.

So Ecole is School for example.

and

Ecosse is Scossia which is an old word for Scotland.

Edited by Midland Tyke
added more
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

On the subject of French and English, I remember being told at school that words starting with e with an acute accent (how do I do that on a keyboard, anyone?), could often be translated into English by replacing that first letter with an 'S'.

So Ecole is School for example.

and

Ecosse is Scossia which is an old word for Scotland.

That’s the only thing that’s easier about always posting from an iPhone... all those special characters are just a held touch away, without any ASCII required.

If it hails from écosse, I’m guessing Scossia sounds a lot like Scotia (as in Nova Scotia) too...

• Like 5

hi all, I have been away enjoying the UFO for a couple of days so I'm way, way behind. 

Useless info on the subject of Welsh/Celtic words used in English, "avon" is the word for river. So every River Avon (there are apparently 9 in the UK) is actually called river river.

• Like 9
11 minutes ago, Emjay537 said:

So every River Avon (there are apparently 9 in the UK) is actually called river river.

Somewhat similarly, the old Dutch word "kill" also means river (or other body of water). So, for instance, the Schuylkill River in Pennsylvania actually means "Hidden River River." Trying to get people to just say "the Schuylkill" is probably as much of a lost cause as getting people to just say "the Avon.":mellow:

• Like 9
30 minutes ago, Emjay537 said:

hi all, I have been away enjoying the UFO for a couple of days so I'm way, way behind. 

Useless info on the subject of Welsh/Celtic words used in English, "avon" is the word for river. So every River Avon (there are apparently 9 in the UK) is actually called river river.

To quote Johnny Carson, "I did not know that".

LOL

• Like 7
44 minutes ago, Emjay537 said:

I’m not even sure my nearby town of Avon is *on* a river.  Maybe the Genesee?  I’ll have to consult a map.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

Somewhat similarly, the old Dutch word "kill" also means river (or other body of water). So, for instance, the Schuylkill River in Pennsylvania actually means "Hidden River River." Trying to get people to just say "the Schuylkill" is probably as much of a lost cause as getting people to just say "the Avon.":mellow:

This I did know, as I lived for a while in the Dutch-settled NYS Mid-Hudson Valley (Peekskill, Spackenkill, Plattekill, and a gazillion others).  My non-Dutch ex thought it was so morbid.  :D

• Like 5
4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

For the last few months of her life she barely spoke at all, but sang nursery songs to herself in German.  It was sweet, but sad.

😢 (I didn’t ‘Like’ your post because it is a bit sad really) The German parents must have loved her lots for her to retreat to that place in her head, I think. What happened to the parents, do you know why she got adopted?

• Like 4
On 4/21/2018 at 1:36 PM, Thea2 said:

The whole post is very interesting. I never knew Wales did not join voluntarily. And I had wondered why NI was different.

If you ever get the chance to tour Wales you will notice the large number of castles there, particularly in the North. A significant number were built by the English, to house troops to be able to crush any Welsh attempt at rebellion. More reading here

http://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/attractions/castles-heritage/world-heritage-sites/castles-and-town-walls-king-edward-i

• Like 8
13 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

If you ever get the chance to tour Wales you will notice the large number of castles there, particularly in the North. A significant number were built by the English, to house troops to be able to crush any Welsh attempt at rebellion.

I don’t ‘tour’, but thanks anyway for the info, very interesting. Totally amazing castles, look at this one: https://goo.gl/images/wfAPB5

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

😢 (I didn’t ‘Like’ your post because it is a bit sad really) The German parents must have loved her lots for her to retreat to that place in her head, I think. What happened to the parents, do you know why she got adopted?

We never knew.  Apparently there was a couple in their small community that knew the truth, but wouldn’t tell it until her adoptive parents died.  Both predeceased her parents.

She’d had a significant head injury that left her with seizures, so perhaps her birth mother/parents were killed in an accident or killed coming the US?

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

I’m not even sure my nearby town of Avon is *on* a river.  Maybe the Genesee?  I’ll have to consult a map.

I forgot about Avon NY

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

... perhaps her birth mother/parents were killed in an accident or killed coming the US?

Gosh, the plot thickens.  There would be no reason not to reveal they were “killed in an accident” .  But what could possibly be a reason not to tell the adoptive parents? I saw a horrible movie once about white settlers wanting to kill a white little girl brought up by native Americans  (Letting my imagination run wild her :ph34r:)

• Like 4

In case anyone was dying to know, Avon, NY, is indeed on the Genesee (River), the only noteworthy river in my area.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Thea2 said:

Gosh, the plot thickens.  There would be no reason not to reveal they were “killed in an accident” .  But what could possibly be a reason not to tell the adoptive parents? I saw a horrible movie once about white settlers wanting to kill a white little girl brought up by native Americans  (Letting my imagination run wild her :ph34r:)

I always figured it was somehow scandalous... product of an affair or something... but it could be anything.  It was a small farming community along the PA/NY border.  My family skipped a generation, so my grandmother died when I was 18... I got the scoop from my mother, who’d heard it as a child and could have misunderstood or embellished upon it.

The German nursery rhymes part is definitely true, though, as I was there for it.

• Like 4