boots57

anyone past 50 on here?

Spotastic

This article talks about the problems with how many people report that the Taino were wiped out. They are all over the Carribean islands. I have had people in the past not believe me about my heritage. It's a common misconception. Anyone who spends much time on the islands can tell you of their influence.

The major thing about it all is that Columbus effectively wiped out a lot of the Taino culture. The were forcibly converted to Christianity, and those who fought against that were killed. They were enslaved and broken up from their tribes. Women were kept as sex toys for the Spaniards.

There are many reasons why I really hate Columbus Day...

pickles mcgee
12 hours ago, Kazbe said:

Speaking of art galleries, the Art Gallery of NSW has an exhibition of the medieval (c.1500) tapestries "The Lady and the Unicorn". All six are on loan from Musée national du Moyen Âge in Paris. I treated myself to a visit today as the one tapestry I knew is one of my favourite art works. They were stunning and I have more than one favourite now. I always get a bit teary when I come face to face with an artwork that has fascinated me from the pages of a book, and I've been lucky to see many of them, thanks to AGNSW. They've had touring exhibitions from the Guggenheim, a collection of Rembrandt, a collection of Dali, photographers such as Annie Leibovitz, Sam Taylor-Wood, Man Ray and Robert Mappleworth. However, I never thought I would ever get to see these tapestries. According to the blurb, it's only the third time The lady and the unicorn tapestry series has left France in 500 years. Plus there was a fantastic video on the history and meaning of the work.

There is a slideshow of each tapestry on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_and_the_Unicorn

Each one is huge as it was designed to be a wall covering in a castle.

I love this post so much, @Kazbe.  This sounds amazing!  I know that feeling of being blown away by seeing something in person that  you have only seen in books for years.

I googled the AGNSW.  Seems like a wonderful place (and, can't beat the price ^_^).  If only Australia weren't so very far away...

I wish I could at least see the video!

will123

Another view of Gleason:

daveb
16 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

You still up, daveb?  It's snowing and sticking now. :)

I didn't see it until this morning. Not a heavy snow, but we still have some that hasn't melted yet (in the shade). :) 

8 hours ago, Muledeer said:

This is all part of a new hobby I am developing, where I will hike into the mountains and try to find the exact spots that some of these photos were taken, and re-photograph these same scenes over 100 years later.   It will achieve three things: comparing a color photo to the black and white image, comparing the landscape and how it has changed due to climate change, logging and structures, and thirdly, it will be a great reason to go hiking in the mountains.  I have already enlisted a couple of friends who are interested in helping me to conduct this "research". 

That sounds like a great project! The old photos (and the painting) are very good.

teatree

So far I have met four AVENites and they are all great! Looking forward to meeting even more of this group.... ^_^

Quick update on the wrist: xrays on Friday showed the bones were staying put, so no surgery needed (yay!). The bulky/heavy splint was removed and I now have a smaller/lighter cast. More xrays this Friday. First three weeks are the most critical, so I'm being super-cautious and compliant. If all goes well, should have the cast off by end of March. Still trying to better deal with my impatience and frustration, though...it's been difficult both asking for and accepting help. Makes me uncomfortable....

Have you noticed how close we are getting to 20,000 replies in this thread???? 

Mocha Jo

@Kazbe- I love those tapestries! I love all sorts of fiber and needlework and those are amazing. It would be really cool to see them in person. 

Glad the break is healing, @teatree, hopefully isn't hurting too badly still. 

@Muledeer it would be cool to see the century time lapse when you get it done. 

faraday☘
2 hours ago, teatree said:

Yeah, it was the 50s anniversary a few days ago too.  AND, also, too - we're on page 666!! :P

will123

So far I have met four AVENites and they are all great! Looking forward to meeting even more of this group.... ^_^

An AVENite from the city I do some cycling in contacted me and we may meet up this summer.

No, but it's an interesting thread to discuss pretty much anything other than asexuality ;)

daveb

Shades of Jules Verne? :)

27 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

AND, also, too - we're on page 666!! :P

The devil you say! :lol:

26 minutes ago, will123 said:

An AVENite from the city I do some cycling in contacted me and we may meet up this summer.

No, but it's an interesting thread to discuss pretty much anything other than asexuality ;)

Will (no pun intended :lol: ) that be your first AVENite meetup?

True. :) 

will123
1 minute ago, daveb said:

Shades of Jules Verne? :)

The devil you say! :lol:

Will (no pun intended :lol: ) that be your first AVENite meetup?

True. :) 

Yes.

Skycaptain

@teatree, good that the break seems stable

We've had four days of unbroken sun, followed by two days of unbroken rain :huh:, which at least should dissuade any fauna from awakening from hibernation before the "end of the world, most apocalyptic winter chill ever", as per media exaggeration arrives next week :mad:

Thea2
12 hours ago, teatree said:

... the bones were staying put, so no surgery needed (yay!). ... I now have a smaller/lighter cast. ... should have the cast off by end of March.

@teatree That's good news. Sounds like you are dealing with it very well. :cake:

pickles mcgee

Such good news, @teatree.  I hope you get more good news on Friday, and that you'll keep us posted.

will123
15 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@teatree, good that the break seems stable

We've had four days of unbroken sun, followed by two days of unbroken rain :huh:, which at least should dissuade any fauna from awakening from hibernation before the "end of the world, most apocalyptic winter chill ever", as per media exaggeration arrives next week :mad:

That sounds like the Toronto media.

Got a new smartphone today. My phone that wasnt quite two years old started shutting off randomly even when battery was above 80%

daveb
51 minutes ago, will123 said:

Got a new smartphone today.

I got a new one myself last week (on Valentine's Day, I think). My old phone was losing the charge after just a few hours - I would turn it on a 9 AM and it would be out of power by around 1 or 2 PM without even using it. Nice to have a new phone. And I got quite a discount on the monthly bill for being 55 or older - $55/month as opposed to $80/month! :)

It snowed here pretty much all morning and there was some white on the ground for a while, but it warmed up enough that it all melted away and the stuff that was still falling melted before accumulating. Cool to watch the snow fall, though. :) (and apparently places were shutting down early or taking a snow day :lol: )

Spotastic

I got a new phone a couple weeks ago, too. It's my first time with a smartphone, although I have been using a tablet for a few years now. Mine only costs $20 per month, though. My wife's only costs $7. 8)

pickles mcgee
2 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

I got a new phone a couple weeks ago, too. It's my first time with a smartphone, although I have been using a tablet for a few years now. Mine only costs $20 per month, though. My wife's only costs $7. 8)

Where did you find prices like this?!

Spotastic

@pickles mcgee T-Mobile. I've been with them for almost 15 years now. I have 2 lines with unlimited data and minutes for just under $100 a month.

daveb
18 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

Is that for the phone itself?

I bought my phone outright, since I had the money and don't like paying for the hardware monthly.

Muledeer
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, Tja said:

I really like your gg's photo from 1907 and his accompanying painting from 1915, @Muledeer

Reveal hidden contents

greenriverlakewyoming-1111x800.jpg

2001.031.jpg

Good article(s), @pickles mcgee.

Considering this IS page 666, Here is a scan of my actual Wyoming truck license plate:

If you look carefully at the background scene of this license plate, you will see it is of the same iconic scene as presented in the photo and oil painting posted by @Tja above.  It is Green River Lake with Flat - top mountain  behind it.   I've been there twice and it takes a 40 mile journey on a bumpy dirt road to get there.

image.jpg

Spotastic

@daveb It's the price to buy the phone over 24 months.

Skycaptain

Smartphones have really gone up in price. Depending on brand and model they can cost £300-£900 to buy outright now. :(,. Also they don't seem to be ad durable. My current one is starting to play up, at 16 months old 

Thea2
10 hours ago, daveb said:

... Cool to watch the snow fall, ... :)

Yes, I like that too, it's very magical. Here, we haven't had any yet this year. But then again I am happy about that, because walking in the snow/ice is scary re. slipping, as @teatree obviously knows all to well :mellow:

Midland Tyke
5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Smartphones have really gone up in price. Depending on brand and model they can cost £300-£900 to buy outright now. :(,. Also they don't seem to be ad durable. My current one is starting to play up, at 16 months old 

I've been very pleased with my Moto G5. I bought it outright for a one-off payment of £160. Then I have a SIM-only contract for calls/texts and data. I believe that Tesco are doing a fantastic deal for just £5 a month (they were back in November). I'm a great disbeliever in bundled packages

Midland Tyke

I've spent the last 4 days in Melbourne. It's a vibrant city and I've done the usual touristy things (art galleries, botanical gardens, old buildings, historical tours etc).  It's all done very well. Melbourne also claims to be Australia's 'food capital' and anyone who knows me will know that I'll have tested that claim. Two other items - the show "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - the musical" was on. I'd been to see this in the UK with @Lilsi a week after my first ever Aven meet, so I had to go again. And I'm sure that @Skycaptain will be interested in the tour of the MCG when next we meet up.

I'm heading West, briefly, then South to the famous Great Ocean Road and the long drive up to Sydney. There's a meeting in the Blue Mountains, too, with @Autumn Sunrise and, hopefully, @Kazbe . And maybe @catsaregood will come too. All very exciting!