anyone past 50 on here?

Hi everyone!  I had a few giggles reading about VD!  I fractured my toe V-day night before bed.  I thought I just stubbed it, but the next morning it was swollen and I could barely walk on it. I still had to go to work with it broken.  After work, I got it splinted.  Today I'm going to take it easy.  I may work on my garden some or I may just procrastinate it.  Hopefully none of my friends will die every hour that I procrastinate.:lol:  

The New Zealand talk is getting me excited for my visit!!  Only a little over 2 months away.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!! 

• Like 8

@faraday☘ - Ouch on the toe.  Unfortunately, there's nothing medicine can do other than splint it and let it heel.

Take it easy on that foot - you wanna be in good shape for your trip!

• Like 8
13 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Was it impossibly blue Lake Tekapo? I think it was...

I believe so. Sounds like more amazing sights and experiences!

2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

The New Zealand talk is getting me excited for my visit!!

Me, too!

7 minutes ago, EarthMama said:

Take it easy on that foot - you wanna be in good shape for your trip!

Yes! (although, maybe I will be able to keep up this time. :lol: )

• Like 5

Tonight I went to an art exhibition reception in Salt Lake City.  I don't usually go to these kinds of things.  This was a display of photographs from Mormon pioneer artist and photographer George Beard, who left England in 1868 when he was 13 years old, and settled in Utah.  He photographed much of the landscape in early Utah before humans had made their mark.  He was also an artist who made oil paintings from the landscapes he photographed.  The display tonight was mostly of black and white landscape photos printed from glass plate negatives.  

George Beard was my great grandfather.

https://heritage.utah.gov/dha/news-events-dha/pioneering-landscape-photographer-george-beard-display-alice-gallery

• Like 13

@Muledeer, sounds like your great-grandfather led an interesting life. In this era of smartphone cameras, It's amazing to think about all the heavy equipment those early photographers lugged around, and often under difficult travel conditions.

@Midland Tyke, I've enjoyed reading about your New Zealand adventures. Have fun in Australia!

Sorry about your toe fracture, @faraday☘. Hope it'll be back in tiptop shape before your travels.

We're having a fresh round of weather wackiness -- snow predicted tomorrow and Sunday, but by Tuesday it'll be 70o F (21o C). :unsure: I honestly keep having trouble remembering which month it is. :mellow:

• Like 10
4 hours ago, daveb said:

I believe so. Sounds like more amazing sights and experiences!

Me, too!

When do you two start? And what's your itinerary? I'm sitting in the airport wondering about Australia...

• Like 6

@faraday☘, ouchies, hope that heals quickly

@Midland Tyke, enjoy the next leg of the your World Tour of the Antipodes :P

• Like 7

Been reading about Benin - their artwork is 'just' artwork now - we took it out of context and lost its place in the country's history. Negotiations are under way to return them to their home which would, of course be great but how many other works would need to be returned to their country of origin? Museums could be stripped of many exhibits.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/KingdomOfBenin_Presentation.pdf

• Like 7

@Tanwen that was a delightful presentation of art and history in the link you posted.  I have never heard of Benin before.

@faraday☘ how on earth did you shatter a toe without a horse stepping on it or other trauma?  I hope you make a full recovery.  I never wish anyone a "speedy" recovery from a broken bone because the magic number is six weeks . 

Today, I will be enjoying some late-winter sunshine in Salt Lake City.  Then it will snow tomorrow.  I'm having a three-day weekend due to the Presidents Day holiday on Monday. 

• Like 7

Yes, @Tanwen, the question of returning artworks is fraught with difficulties.  

Dogs take between 6 and 12 weeks to mend broken bones, @Muledeer.  Little Dog broke his leg three months ago, two weeks were lost putting his leg in a cast that didn't work, but an x-ray at 12 weeks showed both the ulnar and radius were healed.  From the way he had been jumping about and using the leg confidently, I think it had actually healed at least two weeks before the x-ray.

We just had a game of ball in the garden - our first outside, as when I got him he wasn't used to toys and was frightened of them.  It was lovely to see him leaping and twisting about easily. :)

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.

• Like 9

@Mg1305 welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

@Mz Terry, sounds like Little Dog has really settled in, :)

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi All! Welcome @Mg1305:cake: to you!

@faraday☘, hope your toe heals well and soon.

@teatree, hope you are healing as well.

@Thea2, I wish there had been a forest to run into...I'd even have shouted 'feck' as I went!

@Muledeer, what an interesting person to be connected with, they don't make them like that any more.

@Midland Tyke, so, on to the next leg of the adventure, more power to your elbow as they say, can't wait for the next instalment!:D

@Skycaptain, I braved a day of people getting flowers etc, sent to their desks then did the same single person's Valentine's day as yourself..and it was ok by me!

Been glued to the winter Olympics , especially the figure skating and ice dancing. Marvellous! Quadruple Salkos! Who'd have thought.

Got myself a bike mask and I'll be taking myself to and from work under my own steam now...geez, I need the exercise!

Tomorrow is a trip to see 'Black Panther' and 'The shape of Water' ..so I'm really looking forward to that.

On the drama TV channel, they've been playing 'The Onedin Line' , whuch I loved, back in the 70s. I used to get teased at school for going out with my pals to get the latest hit records....and coming home with the theme tune from The Onedin Line instead....happy days!

3 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Yes, @Tanwen, the question of returning artworks is fraught with difficulties.  

We just had a game of ball in the garden - our first outside, as when I got him he wasn't used to toys and was frightened of them.  It was lovely to see him leaping and twisting about easily. :)

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.

With the advent of 3-d printing, maybe these treasures can be reproduced well enough to make a suitable museum display.  I am so glad to hear that Little Dog has recovered.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Mg1305 said:

54 in a month. All new to this and, well confused. Good to meet the fellow 50pluses

Welcome and :cake: !

12 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

When do you two start? And what's your itinerary? I'm sitting in the airport wondering about Australia...

Mid-April. (need to check on what the weather will be like so I can figure out what to pack). I'd have to go look up the itinerary, but we will be going to various places, including Christchurch, Auckland, some glacier on the South Island, and other stuff (including a visit to Hobbiton on our own).

2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

bike mask

2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

'The Onedin Line'

Had to look both of these up. Bike mask for pollution or for cold weather? Biking to work is a good thing to do if you can. I did it often (when I was younger). I found it more enjoyable and relaxing than a car commute or public transportation. It wasn't always practical though (like when I was working nights and lived too far from work, but within walking distance of college). But most of the time I either lived within walking distance of work or bicycling distance (for me that means it should take no more than an hour to traverse there or back).

• Like 6

Welcome, @Mg1305! The confusion will wear off, quickly. ;)

Interesting, about your ancestor, @Muledeer. How cool to have someone like that in the family. *And good-looking, too;)*

@faraday☘! So sorry about your toe!

So happy for Little Dog, @Mz Terry!

If museums get stripped of things gotten by conquest, @Tanwen, that's fine. Museums should be showcasing local artifacts/art. Unless, of course, they have been properly purchased.

More England:

Spoiler

3U7U0Dd.jpgGnFPMxI.jpg

tWqkkfa.jpg

FYEAjnM.jpg

cE4IVQP.jpg

Ghn9MNV.jpg

1MpUsbp.jpg

7AtwLoI.jpg

6VQSACs.jpg

• Like 9

Greece has been trying to recover the 'Elgin Marbles'  for years. The British Museum argued that the polluted atmosphere in Greece would eat away at the stone - but Greece now has a museum to house the artifacts next to their original home - and they really SHOULD go back. 

http://www.newsweek.com/who-owns-elgin-marbles-80661

Still leaves other artifacts though - when I worked in London I lived in a boarding house near to the Museum and spent many hours there. And what about the Crown Jewels??? 

• Like 7

Welcome to @Mg1305:cake: :)

@faraday☘ Hoping your toe heals quickly!

@Mz Terry Glad to hear that dog is getting along fine now.

The day after Valentines day I went to the Valentine candy isle and was shocked that there was hardly any left! :blink: I knew some would be gone, but not quite that fast. I bought one box of caramel pecan chocolates for $5.

Some of you were talking about the abreviation of Valentines day, VD, and that reminded me of an article I read in the paper recently. It was about dentists now could be talking to patients about oral cancers and sex! :blink: :o

Here is the article...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/Experts-Yes-it-s-awkward-but-more-dentists-should-talk-to-patients-about-oral-cancers-and-sex_164812886

• Like 7

I'm 63. I'm new here and just accidentally introduced myself with 32 copies of an introduction.

• Like 11

Thanks everyone!!  My toe is a little better today.  The swelling is down.  I'll stay off of it as much as I can this weekend.  A fab excuse to be lazy. :) 

@daveb I should be fully healed by the New Zealand trip, but I wouldn't leave you behind.:D

@Tja Epic pictures!!  Brings me back....

Welcome @Mg1305 & @froglady!!  I've made some duplicate posts myself.  I PM'd someone once and I didn't think my message got posted, so I kept doing it again...and again.  When I realized I posted the same message several times, I was so embraced.  Plus I came off as a stoker or something. :P

A friend of mine went to score some post-VD candy, but it was all gone.  I guess people do the something after easter as well.

@Gentle Giant the oops acronyms reminded me of a Big Bang episode where the gang competes as a team.  Their team name was Perpetual Motion Squad.

692661b5fd47e0fe116548.jpg

• Like 10
17 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Tonight I went to an art exhibition reception in Salt Lake City.  I don't usually go to these kinds of things.  This was a display of photographs from Mormon pioneer artist and photographer George Beard, who left England in 1868 when he was 13 years old, and settled in Utah.  He photographed much of the landscape in early Utah before humans had made their mark.  He was also an artist who made oil paintings from the landscapes he photographed.  The display tonight was mostly of black and white landscape photos printed from glass plate negatives.  

George Beard was my great grandfather.

Dang! I think their server must be down because I get a "heritage.utah.gov’s server IP address could not be found" message even if I go to their homepage. I really wanted to see your grandfather's photos. I have to ask though - were there no Native Americans in the region? You say that he photographed much of the Utah landscape before humans made their mark, but I would have thought that there would have been humans in that region for a long time given the prevalence of tribes in other states in that area.

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yays @Kazbe!

@daveb, part of the route goes past a congested motorway, so the mask has a carbon filter for particulates and sulphur dioxide. I'm biking because it takes 1.5 hours to go 3 miles in the bus due to that congestion and there's a cycle path parallel to it,so what the heck!:D

Welcome @froglady ! Do you like frogs then? Love them to bits, me.

See you next time....

2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

... posted the same message several times, I was so embraced.  Plus I came off as a stoker or something. :P

I guess people do the something after easter as well.

... the oops acronyms ...

Ouch. Good luck with the toe 🍀 Take it easy and procrastinate as much as possible. Be lazy, doctor’s orders 😄

Major battle with the autocorrect I see 👀 . Yes, multi posting can be so bracing 😄. Hopefully they didn’t think you were Bram Stoker 🧛‍♂️ . Yes, I do the something quite often 🤣 And what’s an oops 😬 ? Just teasing you, have a nice weekend 🌸

• Like 6

I turned that darn auto correct thing off! It’s never what you want to type and a pain to have to go back and correct its mistakes!

• Like 7

I do like frogs but the froglady thing is more about a frog pin that I used to wear on my hat. I didn't know what to do about a user name so I just used that. Sounds like you are somewhere urban. Here its rural and there are lots of critters kind of like the one in your picture. I ride a fat tire recumbent trike around here. During fire season I have to wear a mask but not this time of year. Is it bike friendly where you are?

• Like 8