anyone past 50 on here?

Valentines here is largely just commercial now - tacky cards and mush.  My mum always gave us a card and little gifts when we were kids, and we would usually make a card for her at Primary School.   I think families here often keep that tradition.

Little Dog had his x-ray at the vets today following his previous surgery for a leg fracture, and the bones have healed.

• Like 11
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi all! Lovely photos @Midland Tyke! Beautiful blues.

So sorry to hear about what happened to you and your wife @Spotastic, that sounds just horrible!:oI wish you every happiness now that you've moved.Sending you all the best.

@Muledeer, I may well take you up on that offer!:D...the big problem would be coming back home! I'd probably go on the run and disappear into the forest!

Great gun puns everyone!:lol:.

I'd another giant ace moment at work. One of my colleagues likes Harry Potter and he was telling me he was taking his wife and children to the Harry Potter studios on Saturday. We got to discussing what houses we were in, both Hufflepuff. Then he said he wanted to buy a wand but didn't know what ,so I told him about a website that you can use to find out what you would get.

So, today, he came to my desk and said 'I've got something to show you' and I said ' is it your wand?':redface:....turns out it was a customer whose pharmacy was called Dumbledore! I think I managed to save face by quickly telling him that the online test gave me a Hornbeam and dragon heart string wand......d'oh!

Moving swiftly on....Bedford was once the murder capital of the UK, based on murders per head of population!

@Semisweet Chocolate in any shape is always good 😊

@Muledeer Just another day, that’s like me and Christmas 🎄 

@Mz Terry That’s excellent news, about Little Dog, congratulations. 🎈 

@chandrakirti Hufflepuff ...  Hornbeam and dragon heart string wand ... duly noted 😄 You reminded me of Father Jack (in the Father Ted t.v. series) who did ‘run and disappear into the forest’  :lol:

Thank you all very much for all the info on Valentine’s Day 😊 I never knew it was such a family thing as well. 

@Spotastic your story is so far out of my comfort zone that I don’t know what to say. Best wishes 🍀

• Like 10

@chandrakirti That is a great story on multiple levels. My wife is a big Hufflepuff. Also, a friend of mine makes custom wands and sells them. :D

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. We are both progressing well enough with the help of our therapists, and for me, being able to talk to all of you. 8)

• Like 10
1 hour ago, chandrakirti said:

Hufflepuff .... Hornbeam and dragon heart string wand......d'oh

Ravenclaw, Pear wood with a Dragon heartstring core 12 ½" and Slightly Springy flexibility wand, and Brown Owl Patronus

10 hours ago, Thea2 said:

Never mind Google, what do you Avenites think?

Valentines Day is not that big in Australia, although I do think some younger women use it as an excuse to demand roses from their boyfriends. I could never be bothered with it when I had a partner - which was good because both were hopeless at presents and I was lucky to get anything for birthdays or Christmas. I often felt I was being punished for my lack of sexuality.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Kazbe said:

Ravenclaw, Pear wood with a Dragon heartstring core 12 ½" and Slightly Springy flexibility wand, and Brown Owl Patronus

Valentines Day is not that big in Australia, although I do think some younger women use it as an excuse to demand roses from their boyfriends. I could never be bothered with it when I had a partner - which was good because both were hopeless at presents and I was lucky to get anything for birthdays or Christmas.

I often felt I was being punished for my lack of sexuality.

@Kazbe Thank you for the added wand info 😊 and the info on V. day. 

I consider myself to be extremely romantic, but obviously that means something totally different to me than to others 🤣 . If I want a red rose, I’ll buy one myself, 🙄, same goes for the rest of the crappy presents. I do like cards though. 

I am sorry to hear  you often felt punished for your lack of sexuality; good riddance to them then. You don’t need that kind of crap.

• Like 7

@Spotastic- so sorry to hear about your dad. You have had so much to deal with that it must feel like just too much to add. 

Where do you find out about your wand? I am Ravenclaw in every test I have ever taken, and according to Pottermore my patron us is a doe. (I was hoping for something horse-ish or canine, but,oh well). It would be interesting to know what my wand would be.

• Like 9
20 minutes ago, Mocha Jo said:

Where do you find out about your wand?

There was a test on Pottermore. Not sure how to get to the test, but my results were:

Alder wood
Unicorn hair core
14 ½" in length
Surprisingly Swishy flexibility

I consider myself romantic (or maybe just sentimental). I guess many people in the US at least treat Valentine's Day as a day for love, which can be romantic, familial, friendships, etc. In grade school even when I was a kid everyone made Valentine's cards for everyone in class, not to single anyone out (or maybe more importantly, not to leave anyone out). 

• Like 10

My mom had been distracted lately with her pain, not sleeping and other things and kind of forgot about Valentines day. She was so surprised and loved the roses I gave her. I also gave her a card I made and a piece of chocolate caramel candy. I do this to show my appreciation for all she’s done for me and to remind her that I love her. When my niece and nephew were younger we’d send Valentines to them and I’ve given Valentines to other family members. In school we gave Valentines to all the kids in our class and sometimes get candy too. Today at work we all got a Valentine cookie.

• Like 14

Actually, I like making it about other kinds of love, too. Just making it about romantic love kind of reinforces the idea that some people have that romantic love is the pinnacle of love, the best love. :P

• Like 12
13 hours ago, daveb said:

Actually, I like making it about other kinds of love, too.

Hear, hear!

During my sub job today for the special ed teacher I got to see a lot of Valentine parties, K-5th grade.  It's all about friendship (they are often called "Friendship" parties), and lots of paper and paste (most classes have the kids make their own Valentine boxes to store the Valentines in).  It's still very much the same as it was in my elementary school days, though with lots more candy now. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

with lots more candy now. 

I can get behind that. :lol: 

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Where do you find out about your wand?

From memory, there should be a link to Find Your Wand on your Pottermore home page.  You have the same patronus as Harry's mother, Lily Potter! I have a t-shirt with Severus Snape, a white doe patronus, and the word "Always".

8 hours ago, Thea2 said:

I consider myself to be extremely romantic, but obviously that means something totally different to me than to others 🤣

I consider myself romantic as well. I just don't think red roses and soppy cards cut it as romance.  Severus Snape and the word "Always" and all it meant is romantic.  I think there is something selfless and noble about romance - Valentine Day seems too calculated.

• Like 10

Up until my dad died, about 12 years ago, we sent each other Valentine's cards from a "secret admirer"! I fooled him the year before he died, though...sent him my usual one, then had a coworker sign and address a second one, and mail it for me from a neighboring state. I think your mom is lucky to have you, Gentlegiant! (And you, her.) How very sweet.

• Like 11

I had the single person's valentine evening, sat in front of the TV with dinner à la freezer, and kitties :P:P, purrfect 

• Like 9
9 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

... I also gave her a card I made ...

@Gentle Giant Thank you for all the V.day info. 😊 It is very clear to me now that V.day, especially in the USA, is all about ‘love’ in the wider sense, not just romantic love. 

I loooove self made cards, they are the best.

5 hours ago, Kazbe said:

... I  think there is something selfless and noble about romance - Valentine Day seems too calculated.

Totally agree. 

40 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

I had the single person's valentine evening, sat in front of the TV with dinner à la freezer, and kitties :P:P, purrfect 

Sounds purrfect :D 

• Like 9

I consider V-D in the states to be just another commercialized attempt to part people from large swaths of their money for the sake of the 'cause of the day.'  

I consider V-D to be 'Discount Chocolate Eve.'  Today, all the merchants will have heart-shaped everything on clearance to make room for all the rabbit-shaped crap they'll attempt to peddle next.

I don't mean to sound bitter, I'm just tired and cranky and pelted with the 'buy things...buy things NAOW' mantra far too often for my liking.  I'll buy what I need first, what I decide I want second, and what you attempt to sell me last...if at all.

Advertising in America (and elsewhere, I'm sure) has become far too aggressive for my tastes.

• Like 10
35 minutes ago, EarthMama said:

I consider V-D in the states ...

For a moment there I thought it was about venereal diseases :lol: Matches my Victory day :D

... clearance to make room for all the rabbit-shaped crap they'll attempt to peddle next.

Ha, ha, I laughed my head off. :lol: it is so true. :D

• Like 9
16 hours ago, Kazbe said:

From memory, there should be a link to Find Your Wand on your Pottermore home page.  You have the same patronus as Harry's mother, Lily Potter! I have a t-shirt with Severus Snape, a white doe patronus, and the word "Always".

I did think it was cool that I got the same patronus (stupid iPad keeps trying to make that patron) as Lily. I still wanted something equine or canine, lol. 

I got chocolate s'mores cookies from a co-worker on Valentine's. Not for valentines, I just fixed some holes in her husband's favorite sweater that her dog created. But they are really good cookies! And yay for chocolate discount day!

well, the bathroom renovation now has pipes through the wall. That's a good thing. And I went out today to get cement and grout to start the floor. Probably Monday since I am working the weekend. Must not procrastinate! I am a terrible procrastinator, even for something I really want to get done.

• Like 9
42 minutes ago, Mocha Jo said:

... I just fixed some holes in her husband's favorite sweater that her dog created. 

Impressive. 👍 How did you do that, like darning socks? I saw people do that when I was a small child, haven’t seen it since. I throw away things when they’re worn out, I have no patience at all for repairs. 🤔

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Mocha Jo said:

I am a terrible procrastinator, even for something I really want to get done.

I think my procrastination can top anyone's.  I just read this quote on-line.  It is me.

"The only way I wouldn't procrastinate is if one of my friends was killed every hour I didn't do my tasks.  And even then, you know...which friend?"

• Like 8
8 hours ago, EarthMama said:

I consider V-D in the states to be just another commercialized attempt to part people from large swaths of their money for the sake of the 'cause of the day.'

Yes, it's unfortunate that so many U.S. holidays have become dominated by sales promotions -- including Veterans Day and, to some extent, even Martin Luther King's Birthday.

8 hours ago, EarthMama said:

I'll buy what I need first, what I decide I want second, and what you attempt to sell me last...if at all.

I couldn't agree more. ^_^

• Like 4
9 hours ago, EarthMama said:

I consider V-D to be 'Discount Chocolate Eve.'  Today, all the merchants will have heart-shaped everything on clearance to make room for all the rabbit-shaped crap they'll attempt to peddle next.

I don't mean to sound bitter, I'm just tired and cranky and pelted with the 'buy things...buy things NAOW' mantra far too often for my liking.  I'll buy what I need first, what I decide I want second, and what you attempt to sell me last...if at all.

Advertising in America (and elsewhere, I'm sure) has become far too aggressive for my tastes.

50 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Yes, it's unfortunate that so many U.S. holidays have become dominated by sales promotions -- including Veterans Day and, to some extent, even Martin Luther King's Birthday.

I couldn't agree more. ^_^

My nephew who was looking at a flyer for a chain (later bought out by Best Buy) commented that I needed to buy some electronic gizmo. He was 12 or 14 at the time. I said, "You're a marketer's wet dream". "What's a marketer?" he asked. "Someone in the business of convincing people to buy things they don't need with money they don't have". He looked at my brother (his father) for reassurance. "He pretty much nailed it Brad", was his reply.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, will123 said:

My nephew who was looking at a flyer for a chain (later bought out by Best Buy) commented that I needed to buy some electronic gizmo. He was 12 or 14 at the time. I said, "You're a marketer's wet dream". "What's a marketer?" he asked. "Someone in the business of convincing people to buy things they don't need with money they don't have". He looked at my brother (his father) for reassurance. "He pretty much nailed it Brad", was his reply.

But he knew what a wet dream was, though?

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

It's when you toss and turn in your sleep and spill a bedside glass of water all over yourself :P:P

Or if you sleepwalk into the shower and turn the taps on 

• Like 8

I've last track of where I've reported I've been to. Was it impossibly blue Lake Tekapo? I think it was...

In which case I've been on the Banks Peninsula (and more specifically Akaroa) and nearby Christchurch. Both have ancient volcanic activity to thank for their structure. Akaroa in particular has a harbour and sea-board that many years ago was the caldera of a volcano, which blew and created a gap in its ring. That gap let the sea in. Christchurch has a very similar sea-area just over the edge of the peninsular. I was walking and driving on Summit Road, Crater Rim earlier. The views were stunning.

Christchurch, of course, suffered earthquakes in 2010 and 2011. The latter took 185 lives. There are many buildings still damaged, or not yet replaced from these incidents. And the fault-lines between the two continental plates haven't moved...

The NZ element of my trip ends tomorrow. So it's goodbye NZ, hello OZ....

• Like 8
11 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

12 or 14?  Yea, he might have had 1st hand experience with a wet dream by that age...kids grow up so fast these days...

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Not sure, but I just blurted it out because he was always saying I needed to buy this or buy that. He was more curious as to what a marketer was...

• Like 5