anyone past 50 on here?

On November 30, 2017 at 6:48 PM, chandrakirti said:

Many happy returns to you and Maya @Mocha Jo! Don't leave the thread though:o:D:cake:!

No chance- this is where the young crowd hangs out, lol.

@Mz Terry- I will be thinking of Little Dog on Tuesday for the operation, then you can enjoy your birthday.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Sounds as though @Tja's carry-on bag has Tardis-like qualities.

This comment gave me a good laugh! :lol:

@EarthMama I didn't notice Sky Captain’s name change either and tend to associate people more by their avatars too.

• Like 5

its strange to think that i shoudnt fear you guys who are older than 50 on the internet because you guys literally arent gonna be creepy or try sexual stuff. 

• Like 5

@Mocha Jo  Happy birthday!!! and to Maya as well!  🎂

@Mz Terry Oh boy, congrats on another birthday!!🎈

50 minutes ago, miettaisace said:

its strange to think that i shoudnt fear you guys who are older than 50 on the internet because you guys literally arent gonna be creepy or try sexual stuff. 

:lol:

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise
2 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

@Mz Terry- I will be thinking of Little Dog on Tuesday for the operation, then you can enjoy your birthday.

Seconded on both counts. it sounds as though your vet has the right skills, so try not to worry too much! I'm sure we'll be hearing good news before too long :)

I'm watching the 2017 French ice skating championships on TV - just amazing! Fancy being able to skate like that . . . sigh!

We've just had a rather violent wind and rain storm pass through . . . the rain was good for the garden at any rate, although I hope it hasn't flattened any of my little veg seedlings! I think we were just on the edge of the storm, and apparently it's been really bad in Victoria - poor things! Now that the rain's eased off, our semi-tame King parrot is back on the door lintel, begging loudly for sunflower seeds :P

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

Well, the rain didn't ease off for long. If I want to go outside I'll have to wade, and apparently we're still under a "severe storm warning". "Kingie" took his handout then disappeared - I hope he has somewhere dry to wait it out - and the chickens are still incarcerated in their house, because . . . well, "silly as a wet hen" says it all :lol:

• Like 6

@Mz Terry Happy birthday and many happy returns for the day 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

@Autumn Sunrise, feel free to send some of that rain this way, they're already talking about water restrictions next year 

• Like 5

Wow, I get home from Thanksgiving vacation and apparently had finally had time to slow down and think about everything. I feel like a plan is falling into place- I am going to finish up a couple things on the house then put it on the market in the spring. Hopefully it will sell for enough to pay off the loan on it, the divorce loan, and a down payment on some place much smaller and more manageable. OK, the whole tax thing has also pushed me into it- it seems that there is no telling where financial issues for me will be going in the near future. As long as I stay employed I am fine, but I need to start being a whole lot more ruthless and clear-eyed about my own priorities. So, no holding on and hoping for the best here- bye bye house, and I will find some place that is more just mine. But now I have to think about re-packing up all the things I had unpacked from packing up from having the house on the market right after the divorce. Ugh.

• Like 7
19 hours ago, miettaisace said:

Seems like a bit of a backhanded compliment...

I don't think you meant it to be. And I'm not trying to be overly sensitive. Just pointing it out. :mellow:

• Like 2

There’s going to be a Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary Special on Sunday Dec. 3rd. Check your listings for time and channel. Looking forward to it!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Seems like a bit of a backhanded compliment...

I don't think you meant it to be. And I'm not trying to be overly sensitive. Just pointing it out. :mellow:

well when you meet a person who is over 40 on the internet they usually end up being creepy so the fact that this group literally wont be creppy has shocked me. you forget that older asexuals exist. just like how i forget ace men exist and so on.  you are taught to not talk to people on the internet in school. how many computer safety lessons we all had to go through. you are taught that men love sex so its just funny that ace people dont fit those ideas, but because they are burned into your brain from years of the same information it is confusing and shocking when it aint true. aye. 

• Like 3

Happy birthday to @Mz Terry and @Mocha Jo (and Maya too). :cake: :cake: :cake:

@Tja, good for you on packing light. On my last few trips, which admittedly haven't been as long as you'll be traveling, I've taken only carry-ons. My current "big" suitcase is only about 18" (46 cm), and it's so freeing -- and easier on the aging body:unsure: -- not to be dragging around too much stuff.

@Gentle Giant, thanks for the reminder about the Carol Burnett special -- I can't wait! Her show was one of my favorites. Sometimes when I need a laugh, I'll look up some of her classic sketches via YouTube.

• Like 7

I suppose it will be on CBS? I will look for it, but I think I will have to watch it online somewhere. I don't have cable and antenna tv is limited (I don't get all of the stations).

I spent the morning buying and setting up a fake Christmas tree, decorated it with lights and ornaments, had a fire in the fireplace and Christmas music on my laptop. Sitting here now with the tree lights turned on, and getting ready to have some eggnog. :D Glad Yule!

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@miettaisace, probably we're all products of a far less sexualised society than you have been. I really commiserate with you on that! Sure , we were expected to go looking for a partner and reproduce to make our parents happy, but creepy? Well, not in my experience. Perhaps where you've been looking online has been attractive to creepy types.

@daveb, that vision you describe would make a great personalised Xmas card, a bit like those ones the celebs, royals and government ministers send out :D

I'll be giving it a dry run, @Semisweet, to make sure everything fits. 

@Mocha Jo, good for you! Hope you get the price you want/need.
Glad Yule, @daveb

Will there be eggnog for our christmas celebrations, @Autumn Sunrise:D

I'd welcome you to the thread, @miettaisace, but, as I'm over 40, I don't want to appear creepy. :P:lol:

Hope your back is better, @Gentle Giant

• Like 6

@chandrakirti - Congratulations on the new job. That was fast!

I'm unemployed again. After working 9-10 hours on this latest job, my contract was terminated two weeks early with only four days notice on the basis that they'd run out of money and the data migration and software upgrade was almost ready to go live. So they cut the team in half - two of us were terminated, the one permanent employee moved on to another project, and two contractors retained. All legal as there is a nasty little clause in my contract that allows them to do it. Almost zero chance of a new contract before Christmas and not much better for January. So it's going to be a lean two months.  Asswipes.

@miettaisace - I am glad you don't find it creepy here and I get what you mean. Society is ridiculously over-sexualised these days, and things that we may have experienced sporadically in our youth, now happen regularly to younger folk. However, creeps come in all ages. I've met many creepy younger people online (not here though) who make it clear that they wish I would drop dead, just because I'm older than them, and that is just as unpleasant as the sexual stuff. 

• Like 6

So sorry to hear about the job termination, @Kazbe:( Here's hoping for favorable prospects for you as early in the new year as possible. 

• Like 7

enhanced.jpg20171202_132616.jpg

I have been getting to know the camera on my new Samsung phone and took this photo yesterday.  The camera has an "enhanced" button for photos that really brings out the colors and the contrasts nicely.  Can you see the differences?

• Like 10
Autumn Sunrise

Wow - sure can @Muledeer. What a beautiful place!

@KazbeThat's pretty cruel, and so close to Christmas :( I hope things start to look up in the new year!

@Mocha Jo good luck with selling the house. It'll be a lot of work, preparing for the sale and packing up to move, but exciting too :D. I hope you find a new place that really suits you - it will be a great new beginning, and something you really deserve after hanging on and taking care of everything for so long!

Welcome, @miettaisace :cake: :cake: :cake: I think I'm too old to be creepy . . . but we're all pretty harmless on this thread :D. As the saying goes - "You're among friends"!

@Tja I can't wait to see this Tardis carry-on . . . I might pick up a few tips for my next Heritage Rail trip :lol: And yes - there will be egg-nog - I'll make sure of that :P

Have a good week, everyone!

• Like 6

Good luck to @Mocha Jo, with the house!

Good luck to @Kazbe on the job front! That sucks how they dealt with you. Hopefully the new year will be better!

Great photo, @Muledeer! (I can't really tell any difference between the 2 shots)

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

@KazbeThat's pretty cruel, and so close to Christmas :( 

Actually over the years I've heard a lot layoff and/or plant closure announcements just before the Christmas season. My father was low level salaried, but even so I can't see how some people can sleep at night when their decisions have such a toll on people. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, miettaisace said:

@Kazbe Hey you're an aussie, have a beaut bonza christmas!!! 

@Autumn Sunrise Youre also an Aussie, have a wonderful Xmas mate!!!

I'll have to start referring them as Digger 1 and Digger 2 :)

• Like 6