anyone past 50 on here?

42 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

A highly enthralling afternoon has passed deep-cleaning the kitchen. I've finally found an oven cleaner that really works 

I have had an equally enthralling time cleaning the fish tank.  I bought a new pump and that has made a huge difference to the clarity of the water.  I also had a useful chat with the enthusiastic young man who works at the local aquatic shop.  The tank was getting a lot of green algae on the live plants and glass, and we decided it was down to leaving the tank lights on too long - the modern LED lights are really good, but a bit bright, which encourages algal growth.  I have turned the lights off in daylight and on for a few hours each evening since then, and the problem is almost solved.  I hope the fish are pleased with their sparkling surroundings, but they give nothing away. :P 

• Like 10
12 hours ago, Tyke said:

I went for a walk yesterday and chose a route that took me to the churchyard in which John Bonham (the drummer with Led Zeppelin) has a memorial stone. His death, age 32 in 1980, lead the remaining band members to discontinue the band (ie he wasn't replaced). Over the years drummers from all over the world have come to visit and leave a drumstick, cymbal or similar next to the stone. There's also a visitors book to sign, if you wish. All this in a tiny church and with no razzmatazz whatsoever. Very English (I'm pleased to say). He was born in nearby Redditch and there's a statue of him and a drum-kit in a central area of the town. 

Awesome. I had never heard of that, anything like that where Keith Moon of The Who is buried? I remember that news (Keith's passing) plain as day from high school. Moreso because I had no idea who he was (at the time) LOL

When John Bonham died, the band had just released In Thru The Out Door. As far as I know there was never any discussion (at least publicly) of a replacement drummer. In the ensuing years, his son Jason Bonham has drummed in his place at tribute concerts.

Spoiler

I know the cemetery in Paris where Jim Morrison of The Doors is buried has to deal with fans.

• Like 8

I have visited that cemetery in Paris. Many famous people are buried there, including Oscar Wilde, Chopin and Jim Morrison.

101 Famous Graves in Père Lachaise Cemetery | Paris Discovery Guide

Most of my group headed off to see Jim Morrison's grave, I went to find Chopin's.  People had left messages and lit candles.  I wandered about, did eventually pass Jim Morrison's grave, and those of numerous other famous folk.  When I got to the little cafe outside the gates where we were meeting up, everyone asked me if I was all right.  I expect I looked as though I had seen a ghost. :P  The atmosphere really got to me eventually, and the scent of the candles.  I wouldn't go there again.

• Like 7

I’ve toured the catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa, as well as some burial grounds near the Sphynx, in the Nice area, in Rome, and in Pompeii…  but no rock stars (or classical composers/pianists) there.  :)

Oh, and I’ve been to Houdini’s burial site... one of my exes has relatives buried in the same cemetery.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Tyke said:

As there seems to be some interest, here's a few photos.

gzfUuJG.jpg

go9Lwhc.jpg

BNhJijp.jpg

mr1sjVW.jpg

iKBEWD7.jpg

That's pretty cool!

I help manage a cemetery and there is one across the street from where I live. Nothing like that, usually just empty beer bottles and cans at one particular grave (nobody of any reknown).

In 2000, a friend and I spent a week in San Fran. We went on the Alcatraz tour during one of the days. That place had a really 'off' vibe for me.

• Like 7

PS: @Muledeer Out in the Ranger this afternoon. Saw some deer and otter tracks in the fresh snow (we got an inch yesterday).

Not my photos, but they are easy to pick out in the snow as they will slide on the snow as much as possible, especially if they're going downhill.

Spoiler

tracks-02.jpg?w=1024

Spoiler

File:Snow tracks left by river otters in Indiana.jpg

• Like 9

Slightly better weather today.  I visited the famous NT garden near me, pics below.

Spoiler

Someone joined me for coffee and cheese scone.  

434068133-7409341559148855-2042506410036

One of the cottages, with a beautiful copper container planted with spring flowers.

434048301-7409342042482140-5080302223037

The moat with marsh marigolds. (Native wildflower.)

434149046-7409342279148783-5658297464546

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Myssterry said:

Slightly better weather today.  I visited the famous NT garden near me, pics below.

Hide contents

Someone joined me for coffee and cheese scone.  

434068133-7409341559148855-2042506410036

One of the cottages, with a beautiful copper container planted with spring flowers.

434048301-7409342042482140-5080302223037

Nice, we have marsh marigolds in Ontario too.

• Like 6
18 hours ago, will123 said:

otter tracks

All I can think of while viewing those photos is "WHEEE lets do that again!"

4 hours ago, Myssterry said:

That moat scene is pretty.    And, a British Robin joined you for tea!

• Like 8
13 hours ago, Myssterry said:

I visited the famous NT garden near me, pics below.

Very pretty and cheerful-looking. :D 

I had a grand/interesting day out to the coast with some other AVENites. :) 

• Like 8

We also took advantage of a sunny day yesterday to go for a picnic in Wareham Forest. We were surprised by how quickly the ground has dried, apart from a few regular damp patches there was no water, and the streams are at their regular level. You could see where standing water had been within the last couple of weeks.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

We also took advantage of a sunny day yesterday to go for a picnic in Wareham Forest. We were surprised by how quickly the ground has dried, apart from a few regular damp patches there was no water, and the streams are at their regular level. You could see where standing water had been within the last couple of weeks.

Even with Friday's snow, a lot of the ground and leaves were dry at the woodlot yesterday.

• Like 6

Had "fun" yesterday taking the car to the garage for a service.  I took it to the garage I bought it from, and the journeys meant driving up and down the winding hilly route between my town and theirs in the morning and the afternoon.  The traffic was heavy going up the hill at 7.30am owing to traffic lights outside a building which is being renovated, but worse for the traffic heading into my town, where the hold ups had caused a long queue stretching back a mile or so.  All was well driving back in the gleaming new courtesy car, a hybrid petrol/electric vehicle, with six forward gears, automatically retracting wing mirrors, when you reversed an image of the area you were reversing into appeared on the screen, etc etc.  It made my car I got last year second hand, and love so much, seem rather outmoded.  Returning in my own car later, I tried a route that avoided heavy congestion, but sent me down terrifyingly narrow lanes.  Won't be doing that again, but we got back unscathed.

One more long teaching day, and then my hols commence. :)

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Myssterry said:

seem rather outmoded

Even though I buy my cars new (all 3 of them :P ), I keep them so long they also seem rather outmoded, as you put it. :lol: 

It was a marvel when I got my current car and it came with power windows (except I don't know if or how to work the windows if the power is off :P ).

This care is a 2011 model, which I bought new. It is now approaching 25,000 miles.

Yeah, that sounds like "fun". :P I hope it's all good now. :) 

Happy holidays!

• Like 6

I've had a great time with the international AVEN meetups here this past several days! :D 

(now I am glad for a rainy day, and no commitments - will be enjoying a quiet lazy introverted day at home :D )

• Like 8

British weather. Yesterday sat in a t-shirt enjoying 16°c, today nearly blown off the road during a blizzard, with hail, sleet and rain afterwards just for variety.  Couldn't take a picture because driving, but snow was settling on Dartmoor.

• Like 7

Two more lessons before my holiday. 😮

I had to bid farewell to a pupil I have taught for years today, as she now has her A level term.  We reached grade 8 together, and she promises me she will keep playing.  She is very motivated, so I am sure she will.  I was given some musically themed presents and a card. :)

• Like 8
7 hours ago, daveb said:

(now I am glad for a rainy day, and no commitments - will be enjoying a quiet lazy introverted day at home :D )

We are two peas in a pod on this (in our own separate pods 30 minutes apart, of course).

5 hours ago, Myssterry said:

I was given some musically themed presents and a card. :)

So lovely.  The sweet cards and presents from students & families are one of my favorite perks of the job.  So sweet and thoughtful.  I especially love homemade cards and drawings that the children have done.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, pickles. said:

We are two peas in a pod on this (in our own separate pods 30 minutes apart, of course).

:lol: 

Got some pretty good rainfall this afternoon, with a little graupel or hail mixed in at times, and occasional sun poking through (like yesterday afternoon). :D 

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, daveb said:

with a little graupel or hail mixed in at times

Just rain and sun here, no graupel or hail.

• Like 5
Myssterry

Areas of the UK have snow, and not just the north.  This is from WildlifeKate on X.  She is somewhere in the southwest.  I know Dartmoor has snow and there is snow further north.  We have had more rain here.  Rain is just about daily and has been for weeks on end.  It is sunny here at the moment, but the garden is too soaked to work in and the wind is meant to be picking up later with possible gales.  Statistically, snow is more likely in the UK at Easter than Christmas, when Easter is in March.

• Like 5