anyone past 50 on here?

Hi There.

I'll be 57 this year.Some folks say I look about 10 years younger lol!

I feel much younger inside,always have done-I guess age is an attitude-you're as young as you feel.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

After planning to post here when I turned 50 for almost a year and a half, when the day finally came, I forgot completely! Now it's a few days late and I'm resurecting the thread, but I can't resist. So, I just turned 50 on Thanksgiving! :cake: for me! (The virtual kind being the only kind I consume.) Thanks to everyone else in the US for celebrating with me by consuming mass quantities of turkey and side dishes, then watching football, just like the pilgrims did. :D

My birthday was in september,now I'm 51 years old,I'm very surprised because I see that there are many people over 50 years here.Why is the reason?,I think that it is a very strange phenomena.In AVENes,all people are very young,over 20.

Belated Happy Birthday CompassRose. Welcome to the 50-something club

Belated happy birthday :D

birthdaycat.jpg

Thank you both very much.

Tanwen, that picture is totally adorable!

• 1 month later...

After planning to post here when I turned 50 for almost a year and a half, when the day finally came, I forgot completely! Now it's a few days late and I'm resurecting the thread, but I can't resist. So, I just turned 50 on Thanksgiving! :cake: for me! (The virtual kind being the only kind I consume.) Thanks to everyone else in the US for celebrating with me by consuming mass quantities of turkey and side dishes, then watching football, just like the pilgrims did. :D

My birthday was on Thanksgiving too! I turned 54 years old. Happy Birthday, Birthday Buddy!

I'm almost 60. I think there are more older than younger asexuals, actually. Once you pass menopause, sex just isn't that important.

Not being interested in sex isn't the same as being asexual, which is generally defined as not experiencing sexual attraction to other people. Some older women become not interested in sex because their estrogen levels go down and their libido is lowered. But asexuals can have normal or even high hormonal levels, but they don't feel attraction. That's me all through my long life -- I felt as little attraction at 18 as I do now.

• Like 2

I would imagine that someone who is interested in having sex with other people and believes sex is important would actually be having sex ... especially if they have a sexual partner ... instead of seeking out an asexual website. ;)

Sassy Frass, welcome to the forum. If you say you are asexual, I believe you! :)

Lucinda

I would imagine that someone who is interested in having sex with other people and believes sex is important would actually be having sex ... especially if they have a sexual partner ... instead of seeking out an asexual website. ;)

Sassy Frass, welcome to the forum. If you say you are asexual, I believe you! :)

Lucinda

That's true. But Sassy Frass was talking about menopausal women not being as interested in sex, not herself as an asexual.

My birthday was on Thanksgiving too! I turned 54 years old. Happy Birthday, Birthday Buddy!

Happy birthday indeed! :cake: for you!

Welcome to the forum, btw. More :cake: for being new!

Welcome and have some more :cake:! You kid (I turned 55 in October. :lol:)

well past 50, nearly 60 . no dates , anything. The thing is I find that people cannot be trusted. without trust no relationship of any kind is worth anything. end of story.

Hi all. 56yrs here. I've blamed my asexuality on a hysterectomy, meds I have taken for 20 years as well, and rape. Since turning 50 I have come to realize I never liked it, sex that is, didn't understand the hype, it was a "duty", or a means to the end... Love. Since understanding, and accepting my asexuality, I am so much more comfortable with myself. My girlfriend and I, are very much inlove, but there is no sex between us. She seems ok with it, I do feel a tad guilty, but, I won't sell myself out.

Welcome! Have some :cake:. It's great that you're feeling more comfortable with yourself now. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm recent here, haven't posted much, and I'm 55. I feel a bit shy here, because I've only for a few years even understood what asexuality is and how well it explains me. I so wish I'd known what asexuality is - that it is something others share - when I was a kid.

Welcome, Moonchaser! Have some :cake:.

I guess a lot of us "older" people spent decades not knowing about asexuality. I only discovered it myself a few years ago. So please don't feel shy because of that. At least we know now and being better informed we can make better decisions about our own lives and relationships and such. It's great that sites like AVEN exist now though, and visibility is increasing bit by bit.

• Like 1

I so wish I'd know what asexuality is - that it is something others share - when I was a kid.

Oh yes indeedy! :D don't we all.

However, then I might not have had my kids. Definitely wouldn't have had my kids.

I'm almost 60. I think there are more older than younger asexuals, actually. Once you pass menopause, sex just isn't that important.

Not being interested in sex isn't the same as being asexual, which is generally defined as not experiencing sexual attraction to other people. Some older women become not interested in sex because their estrogen levels go down and their libido is lowered. But asexuals can have normal or even high hormonal levels, but they don't feel attraction. That's me all through my long life -- I felt as little attraction at 18 as I do now.

What I took Sassy Frass to mean is what I feel. I know that I've always been asexual - now that I know a name to call it. There was a time it was called low libido - which I'm sure is real but not what I experience. But I married, and did not want to displease my mate, so yes I became sexually active. Not as active as most people, certainly, but I went along with it for many years. It was ALWAYS to please him, though. Because I was perfectly happy without sex and even dreaded it to some degree.

Though I could find it enjoyable, I didn't ever seek it out. It's not something I think about, and never in the context of wanting sex. I never did, even as a teen. When I was attracted to boys, men (and I do have occasional crushes) it's always more in the context of romance.

Once I reached menopause, in addition to the physical changes that brings, I had some other issues going on (arthritis, fibromyalgia, lower back problems). It became less and less worth it to me to fake being a sexual person.

It was around then I happened across the term asexual and wondered what was meant by that. (I first read it in a biography of some famous literary person that I read on Wikipedia. I don't recall who the person was now.) So I looked it up, and one thing led to another. I joined this site a few years ago but only posted once or twice. Later I got a new computer and didn't remember my old sign-on, so here I am with a new one.

I'm a little braver this time around, a little more comfortable with the term asexual. I'm still not likely to "come out" because it's just not something I feel is important for me to do. I have talked to my husband about it, but I'm not sure he understands, and he didn't want to discuss it. My failure to ever initiate sex has always been a sticky issue.

I feel a little shy about posting all this. I might delete parts of it later. Sorry.

• Like 2

Welcome, Moonchaser! Have some :cake:.

I guess a lot of us "older" people spent decades not knowing about asexuality. I only discovered it myself a few years ago. So please don't feel shy because of that. At least we know now and being better informed we can make better decisions about our own lives and relationships and such. It's great that sites like AVEN exist now though, and visibility is increasing bit by bit.

Oh, thank you for the welcome and the cake! :)
  • Like 1

Welcome Moonchaser - have some more welcome :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :D

I can understand so much of your post, I'm 63 now, had spent my life trying to be like everyone else and fit in till I found AVEN and realized I was 'normal' after all - just different. Hope you'll enjoy it here as much as I do :)

treetopteresa

Im 50 but will be 51 in a few months. I live in a small town and find it really had to meet others. I swear I need like a cheat sheet of all the terminology; I get easily confused. Never been in a relationship, but would consider myself a romantic.

Old_Tired_Heavily_Armed

just turned 59..feel like im 159. you dont need a reason to be anywhere or a reason to be anything or a reason to be whatever you want to be. You also don't need a label to identify yourself or some imagined illness or abnormality. God is standing right beside you ready to catch you if you fall...even if you don't believe in him...and he's not very religious. He's very negative on money collected in His name to build buildings.

you are doing fine.

• Like 1