anyone past 50 on here?

It surprised me how many manual jobs expect people to wear white shirts/blouses. I invite anyone to look presentable in white after a shift in the produce department of a supermarket 

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise
5 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Butchers always seem to wear white too. 

Just . . . ugh!

6 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I don't think anything could have gotten my dad to give up his , then wetting the shirt collar with ths, and ironing the collar stifflong-sleeved starched white shirts.  I remember the spray starch!

I remember Mum mixing powdered starch and water in a bowl, then soaking the collar with this and ironing it stiff. And even further back . . . does anyone else remember boiled starch?

• Like 7

I have rarely ironed or worn shirts that require ironing.   The last time I used my iron was to iron on a patch on my jeans.   

Spent yesterday's vacation staying home.  The main thing I got done was to finally settle down and log into my insurance web site and figure out why my claim was not getting submitted.  Turns out that I got my provider's license information wrong and so it would not submit.  I fixed it and got two claims submitted.   Good to get that done and off my plate.

Today In an hour and a half I meet my buddy Sharon for a hike at Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve.  It is day 3 of my vacation.  It is going fast as I expected it would!

Cathy

• Like 10
Gentle Giant
14 hours ago, ryn2 said:

This is one of my favorite things.  I only look at the tag once (I’ve had to have them removed/remove them since childhood) so I don’t miss them if they fade.

I still like to refer to the tag sometimes, for the size and material.

I went for groceries this morning. Even though there wasn’t a lot of people, it still seems cramped with so much stuff around in the isles. I noticed more people wearing masks this time. Workers all have them but some have it below their noses. Then when I got home wiped all the stuff down with soapy water and put away.

The other day we found that a shelf in the basement broke and fell. Surprisingly the stuff on and under it it didn’t appear to be damaged. I took the broken screw hooks out and put new ones in. One had to move over and start a new hole because the screw broke off in it. The shelf is held up with chains. Noticed a while some ceiling tiles are sagging. Argh! I hope it doesn’t collapse or any more shelves fall down. The house is getting old. We have so much stuff we want to get rid of too, which overwhelms us. We can’t even do much about it right now because of the virus situation.

• Like 7
35 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

The house is getting old.

I hear ya.  My house is about 90 y.o. and literally if it’s not one thing it’s another.

• Like 8
10 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Butchers always seem to wear white too. 

I thought the idea with occupations like that is the laundry could be bleached? 

10 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

It surprised me how many manual jobs expect people to wear white shirts/blouses.

I never wore white shirts for work myself (nor a tie). It has always struck me watching old movies with a lot of the guys in white shirts, suits and ties (and hats). And the women in dresses, heels, little gloves and hats.

Last time I even wore a tie was for my interview for my last job (so, last century). Even then, I didn't wear a white shirt and I did wear jeans with it. But that was for a tech company.

My grandfather, on the other hand, always wore white shirt and tie practically everywhere, to work (he was a mechanic and wore coveralls over the other clothes when working) and even for everyday wear when not working. He eventually switched to a bolo tie after retiring to Arizona.

I try not to buy any clothes that requires ironing or dry-cleaning. 

• Like 8

If I don't have to iron, I don't iron. It's a job I really don' t like doing. 

Given , as @Skycaptain says, face coverings are to be compulsory in shops here etc, I looked at the cost of buying disposable ones. A few weeks of them and I might still be Covid free but I'd have died from starvation instead! So expensive! I make most of my own dresses ( preferably using minimum iron fabric) I reckon I can rip up an old sheet and make my own face coverings. Better than the ones on @Mz Terry 's video anyway. 

I haven't been in a shop since early March. I haven't driven since early March. This is so very weird. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Tunhope said:

If I don't have to iron, I don't iron. It's a job I really don' t like doing. 

Same!  In fact, my ex broke the iron a few months before he moved out in late 2018 and I’ve yet to buy a new one.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, daveb said:

*nods*

• Like 5
4 hours ago, daveb said:

I try not to buy any clothes that requires ironing or dry-cleaning.

Same!

• Like 6

My younger brother, four years younger, always got up in time to iron the shirt he was going to wear to school.  But I had decided early on that I liked wrinkles, so, no ironing for me!

I didn't shop for the dress I was going to wear to my daughter's wedding until I got to Utah and found a cute sleeveless linen number at a thrift store.  My son asked, "So you're going to iron it and carry it on a hanger?"  (My daughter got married at a favorite spot of hers in the mountains, and we were all going to hike up the night before and camp out.)  I laughed and said, "No, I'm going to mash it into my backpack and carry it that way."  Which I did, and I thought the dress looked great for the wedding.

One caveat: I do iron when I sew.  You need to iron for ease of process and best results, in my opinion, and I consider the iron and the sewing machine equally indispensable tools.

• Like 7

I’m pretty sure no one says at the end of their life, “Looking back, I wish I’d ironed more.” :P  When my local thrift shop recently started accepting donations again, I donated a bag of clothes that required too much work, of both the ironing and the dry-cleaning kind. 

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

at a favorite spot of hers

I should mention it is a favorite spot of my son-in-law's as well; it's a favorite spot of theirs.

• Like 6

Anything that says "Dry Clean Only" I throw in the wash anyway.  It's always from a thrift store so I'm not out much money if it is ruined, but so far I haven't had any problems.

Except wool sweaters--those I either never wash or hand wash.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, daveb said:

This I know, but...ewww.

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

I do iron when I sew.

Oh, good point, and same.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Anything that says "Dry Clean Only" I throw in the wash anyway.  It's always from a thrift store so I'm not out much money if it is ruined, but so far I haven't had any problems.

Except wool sweaters--those I either never wash or hand wash.

Mostly also same.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, ryn2 said:

Oh, good point, and same.

Just now, ryn2 said:

Mostly also same.

Laundry soul sisters!

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

Today Mom and I got around to cleaning out more in the garage. Throwing stuff we can now and setting aside stuff for citywide clean up day when that comes. I know my old iron is out there and at some point will throw it away. We got it looking a little better in there and getting things organized somewhat. Want to get rid of a lot of it eventually. While going through things I came across the mat that went under our dog’s food and water bowl. It made me sad when I saw it because it reminded me of the time when my dad, brother and dog were still alive. I couldn’t bring myself to throw it yet.

• Like 8
58 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

I’m pretty sure no one says at the end of their life, “Looking back, I wish I’d ironed more.”

I don’t think he would go this far but ironing was by far my ex’s favorite chore and he would sometimes spend hours at it!

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

While going through things I came across the mat that went under our dog’s food and water bowl. It made me sad when I saw it because it reminded me of the time when my dad, brother and dog were still alive. I couldn’t bring myself to throw it yet.

That’s okay.  When the time comes you’ll know.  My last parent died more than 20 years ago and a few things that need to go/be donated still haven’t.

• Like 7
40 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Laundry soul sisters!

*high fives*

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

my ex’s favorite chore

Ooh, hooray!  Let's talk about most favorite and/or least favorite chores.

My favorites are sweeping and vacuuming--sooo satisfying.  I also like laundry, and don't mind washing dishes.  Least favorites are dusting, and cleaning the toilet.  Getting gross hair out of a clogged drain is kinda cool.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

I’m pretty sure no one says at the end of their life, “Looking back, I wish I’d ironed more.” :P

:lol: yeah

I do through some things in the washing machine (and dryer) that say not to. If it ruins them then fine. If it comes out fine, even better. :P 

I don't think I have any "most favorite" chores. Chores are a chore. :P 

I don't mind hand-washing dishes (but I don't let them pile up). I don't mind doing laundry (because the machines do most of the work). I really don't like vacuuming (because of the noise and having to bend over while dragging all the stuff around). I don't like yard work (because of heat and sun and the possibility of encountering neighbors). I don't like cleaning kitchens and bathrooms. A domestic god/goddess I am not. :P :lol: 

• Like 8
46 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Ooh, hooray!  Let's talk about most favorite and/or least favorite chores.

My favorites are sweeping and vacuuming--sooo satisfying.  I also like laundry, and don't mind washing dishes.  Least favorites are dusting, and cleaning the toilet.  Getting gross hair out of a clogged drain is kinda cool.

We would do well together, then.  XD  I don’t mind cleaning the toilets or dusting, but I don’t care for vacuuming and hairy drains are SO not my favorite.  Laundry is probably my most preferred chore.  Taking out the garbage, scooping the litter boxes, and mowing the lawn are fine.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Let's talk about most favorite and/or least favorite chores.

I hated dusting till I got a Swiffer. Now I Swiffer everything. :P I dislike lugging a vacuum around, so I don’t vacuum as much as I probably should. I’m fine with doing laundry and with cleaning counters, mirrors and windows (except for a couple of really big/heavy windows I have that are a PITA to try to clean). 

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

and windows

I almost mentioned windows.  It must be my least favorite thing since I never do it, but, since I never do it, I don't really mind. 😉

• Like 8

I'll be the odd one out: I love ironing, and I love the smell of a freshly starched shirt. 🥰

I have a dishwasher, but seldom use it, as I enjoy hand washing. 

• Like 8