anyone past 50 on here?

A few years back twins that I've known both had heart issues. Telling another classmate afterwards and she wondered if it was something genetic.

The was a police interaction last week in Toronto that is being investigated by the provincial police oversight unit. For some people this isn't fast enough. The family of the victim is trying to tell people to not go down the same road as in the US. Any actions do not reflect on the girl's life and don't solve anything.

• Like 8

Today's bike ride was 11.3 miles!   It was gray and breezy outside which made for pleasant cycling.   I was very comfortable in my shorts and t-shirt and of course bike helmet!   Biked the opposite way from yesterday (except in the beginning where I retraced my steps a bit).   It was fun to see the Duck Pond and that the Lucy Evan's Nature center board walk to a view point was open.   Last time i was there the board walk was closed for repairs.  However, I did not walk out the board walk as I had not brought along a bike lock so I had to stay with my bike and bike's are not allowed on the board walk.   I also biked past my work place and saw my building (Maxar 2).   I miss physically going to the office on work days.   We are on work from home till the end of June and then each group will figure out when to come back.   My group has adjusted quite easily to work from home so we may be one of the last groups to return to the physical work place.   

Pictures:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/97UpjbsHJed41BrM7

• Like 8
Autumn Sunrise
10 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Alas, it has started up again already.

I can't "like" this :(

• Like 6
1 hour ago, cdrdash said:

Today's bike ride was 11.3 miles!   It was gray and breezy outside which made for pleasant cycling.   I was very comfortable in my shorts and t-shirt and of course bike helmet!   Biked the opposite way from yesterday (except in the beginning where I retraced my steps a bit).   It was fun to see the Duck Pond and that the Lucy Evan's Nature center board walk to a view point was open.   Last time i was there the board walk was closed for repairs.  However, I did not walk out the board walk as I had not brought along a bike lock so I had to stay with my bike and bike's are not allowed on the board walk.   I also biked past my work place and saw my building (Maxar 2).   I miss physically going to the office on work days.   We are on work from home till the end of June and then each group will figure out when to come back.   My group has adjusted quite easily to work from home so we may be one of the last groups to return to the physical work place.   

Pictures:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/97UpjbsHJed41BrM7

If I have to go over a foot bridge I like that kind that has the fence that arches all the way over the top. No way to fall out. :) 

• Like 9
On 5/30/2020 at 11:06 AM, Semisweet said:

I Just learned that two former work colleagues have died, both of them 60-something women (of bad cancers). :( That really hits home as this 60-something woman thinks about the future and am reminded, even more than usual, that it’s not guaranteed.

This weekend looks lovely after a stretch of high humidity, so it’s a perfect day for a walk. Hopefully it won’t be too busy out there; my area seems to be emptying out more on weekends now that beaches have reopened within driving distance.

I can sure relate. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I can't "like" this :(

I hear ya.

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

Today is the first day of winter, here. For the past few days we're had a wonderful view from the dining room window - a huge smoke bush (Cotinus) covered with large, beautifully shaped golden-orange leaves. It's quite windy and the leaves are flying fast - they'll be gone by nightfall :(

Sic transit gloria!

• Like 10
1 hour ago, daveb said:

If I have to go over a foot bridge I like that kind that has the fence that arches all the way over the top. No way to fall out. :) 

Be careful of damp wooden decking. I had a spill about 10 years ago, (no harm no foul) between Oak Hill and Thurmond WV while MTBing. The trail was on an old railbad and in the constant shade hence the decking took a long time to dry. While crossing a little bridge my bike slipped sideways on the slick wood. Ever since then I've been wary of them.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, will123 said:

Be careful of damp wooden decking. I had a spill about 10 years ago, (no harm no foul) between Oak Hill and Thurmond WV while MTBing. The trail was on an old railbad and in the constant shade hence the decking took a long time to dry. While crossing a little bridge my bike slipped sideways on the slick wood. Ever since then I've been wary of them.

I was talking about the kind in Cathy's pic, which has chainlink fencing that forms an arch and a paved walkway, so it probably is exposed enough and dry enough to avoid what you described about as much as a bridge without any covering. Still, I'd rather take my chances with slippery road beds/walkways vs falling over the edge into traffic or a deep ravine or river or rocks or other dangers. :P 

And even a regular flat sidewalk without any covering can get slippery in the right (or wrong) conditions. :P 

I'll take slippery over heights, thanks. :) 

• Like 7

Here are some random pictures from today:

Spoiler

20200531-174133.jpg

20200531-173720.jpg

20200531-173558.jpg

• Like 9

Penney is growing quickly, doesn't look puppyish anymore. :) 

• Like 9
Just now, daveb said:

Penney is growing quickly, doesn't look puppyish anymore. :) 

I was thinking that too!  She looks like a Serious Dog now.

• Like 7

Those are all great photos, @Muledeer.  The stream one is gorgeous, Penney is gorgeous, and the nest and eggs are lovely.  Do you know what kind of bird?

I like your new self-portrait, @daveb!

• Like 8
34 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Do you know what kind of bird?

Angry birds!🦅

• Like 6
1 hour ago, daveb said:

I was talking about the kind in Cathy's pic, which has chainlink fencing that forms an arch and a paved walkway, so it probably is exposed enough and dry enough to avoid what you described about as much as a bridge without any covering. Still, I'd rather take my chances with slippery road beds/walkways vs falling over the edge into traffic or a deep ravine or river or rocks or other dangers. :P 

And even a regular flat sidewalk without any covering can get slippery in the right (or wrong) conditions. :P 

I'll take slippery over heights, thanks. :) 

Actually, the bridge in question was no more than six feet high above a gap in the railbed. It had wooden railing on it, so there wasn't any chance of me going over the side. I guess what surprised me was that even though the area hadn't seen any rain in the last couple of days, the bridge decking was damp. If the pavement on the way to the trailhead had been wet, I likely would've been more carefull crossing the bridge.

• Like 8

Pics from the coast: https://photos.app.goo.gl/46QjJAk6Lifd6cvC7

I went to a number of beaches.  Several were reached via very pretty walks through the forest from their respective parking lots.

Soon after I arrived at the second lighthouse I was reaching up to clamp my hat on my head because it was windy at the headland, but in the nanosecond before my hand made contact the wind snatched it off my head and sent it sailing over the cliffs.  I couldn't see where it landed because of the thick foliage, but there was only deep water and waves below, so no way to rescue my beloved hat.  I bought that hat in Louisiana in January to replace the one I'd lost in the French Quarter the day before.  Four months...that seems to be how long I can hold on to a hat. 🥴

• Like 9
Skycaptain

@Muledeer, @cdrdash, @pickles mcgee, great photos everyone 🎂 🎂 🎂

Muledeer, I agree, you had to move that nest, otherwise you'd end up with the wrong sort of fried eggs 😋

It was surprisingly windy here yesterday, one of the railway lines was blocked by a fallen tree. 

Hope everyone stays safe with all the civil unrest :angry:

• Like 7
4 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

The stream one is gorgeous

Not sure why I called it a stream; it looks like a river.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Not sure why I called it a stream; it looks like a river.

The Bear River in full spring runoff!

The Oregon coast is sure a beautiful place.  Sand dunes are interesting.  Too bad you lost your hat.   I assume that bridge spans the Columbia River?

• Like 8

Sorry I said anything about bridges.

Change of subject. Looks like we are going to have temps in the mid 70s here this week. That's fine with me. Better than 100s.

Nice pics, everyone!

• Like 7

It cooled down nicely here late last week too, from around 90 into the 60’s.  I know some folks were disappointed.  I was not among them.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Muledeer said:

The Bear River in full spring runoff!

Yep, that's more what I meant: "That pic of the mighty river is gorgeous!"

I assume that bridge spans the Columbia River?

No, I explored the central coast between Newport and Florence.  The bridge in the first photo is the Yaquina Bay Bridge near Newport, and the bridge in one of the last photos is the Siuslaw River Bridge in Florence, about six miles from where the river flows into the Pacific.  But the two bridges do look almost identical!  The Siuslaw River is the one with all the wooden pilings sticking out of it--there must have been a dock there at some point.

I do love the Astoria Bridge over the Columbia, though.  One of my favorite bridges in the world, but I was at least 130 miles south of there.

Astoria: Best Things To Do, Best Places To Eat, & Where To Stay ...

• Like 10
8 hours ago, daveb said:

Change of subject. Looks like we are going to have temps in the mid 70s here this week. That's fine with me. Better than 100s.

The opposite is happening here. Last week was cool and now it's jumped from in the 60's to high 80's overnight. YUK!

• Like 6

We did that just over a week ago - 40’s F to 90’s - and then dropped back to 50 yesterday.  Good old spring.

• Like 7

It was only in the upper 80s here (but often gets into the 100s for weeks at a time where I used to live), but even 80s are too hot for me. :P 

I prefer when my house stays cool enough without needing the AC. :) 

On the bright side, hot weather gives me an "excuse" to have ice cream. :lol: 

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, daveb said:

It was only in the upper 80s here

Whoa!  You're only a half hour from me, but our high was 72 today.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, pickles mcgee said:

Whoa!  You're only a half hour from me, but our high was 72 today.

I meant the heat wave last week. Today was apparently in the low 70s. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, but still in the 70s. And maybe only in the 60s with possible rain this coming weekend.

Sorry for not being clear. I know what I mean. :lol: 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, daveb said:

hot weather gives me an "excuse" to have ice cream

Being alive gives me an excuse to

have ice cream.

• Like 10
Skycaptain

Meteorological spring in Britain is March 1st to May 31st. Our average mean total sunshine is 466 hours over these three months. Since 1929 there have been ten instances if more than 500 hours average sun, with an all time record of 556 hours in 1948. This year we have recorded 620 hours. This is breaking the record by an absolutely staggering amount, the meteorological equivalent of someone running 100m in 8.99 seconds tomorrow morning. 

So, of course, when the first social distancing AVEN picnic is supposed to be happening the forecast is dull, cloudy and 13°c:(

• Like 8