anyone past 50 on here?

It is more then double (F) the temperature a week ago tonite.   Someone turned the dial up too far on summer!

• Like 9
59 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

It is more then double (F) the temperature a week ago tonite.   Someone turned the dial up too far on summer!

We broke the record high set in 1944.  Just 13 days ago we broke the record low and it snowed a few days running.

• Like 9
Skycaptain

I think parts of Britain are going for a "record dry" for May. Whilst we caught a storm here on Saturday, further west they've had almost no rain all month. 

• Like 8

Same here, @Skycaptain.  We've had the driest April on record and May has been very dry as well.  We simply didn't get our Spring rains this year.  The grass never really greened up before it started to dry out.  Last night was the first time I mowed my lawn for the season.  Now we have a heat wave forecast for this weekend bringing temperatures well into the 90's. 

• Like 8
Skycaptain

Civilisation has taken a major step forward. The coffee shop has reopened - cashless and takeaway only, but it's still coffee!! 😋😋🎉 🎉 

• Like 7

We haven't had as much rain as we should either. A big portion of the western USA is in mega-drought/super-drought, apparently worsened by climate change. Some years will certainly be better than others, but we could also be seeing the new "normal", climate change for real.

Looks like a few hot days here, then hopefully a bit of rain on the weekend.

• Like 8
16 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

Thanks for everyone's kind thoughts for the loss of my friend. She was my go to person for things I didn't feel I could share with others. A very kind compassionate person who really cared how other people felt.

I will miss her terribly and feel some small guilt that I didn't follow up after her text last night. She wasn't feeling good but it sounded like she thought it was under control. I think I was the last person she talked to. 

Crap! That sounds like how I felt after hearing an older fellow I knew passed away. The snowmobile trail to a friend's family's farm went thru his property. I got busy for a couple of years and never had time to stop and visit even if I was driving by or else it appeared they had company.

He'd bump into my parents in the village and ask about me (I was living in the city still).

Imagine how I felt when I get up to the folks on a Friday night and they tell me that Roy had passed away. Never had a chance to visit.

• Like 8
19 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

She was my go to person for things I didn't feel I could share with others. A very kind compassionate person who really cared how other people felt.

What a wonderful friend, @Deja Vu.  It sounds like you were her go to person too.  That kind of friendship is hard to come by, and there is such a big hole in our life if it comes to an end.  There is just no replacing our dear ones.  I am so sorry for your heartache and for the loss of your dear friend.  <hugs, hugs, hugs> 

• Like 8

We are having hot weather but I don't know if it is record breaking.   At 1:30 pm it is 93F/34C.   My curtains are tightly shut to keep out the heat of the sun and my fan is pointed right at my work desk!   Last night my room was so hot that I turned on my noisy window air conditioner for 15 minutes to cool it down.  That worked nicely.  I turned it off and it was cool enough for comfortable sleep.

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise
11 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Civilisation has taken a major step forward. The coffee shop has reopened - cashless and takeaway only, but it's still coffee!! 😋😋🎉 🎉 

Yay :D Sometimes you just really need a coffee! We mostly get ours from a shop in the Valley called the "Lolly Bug". I don't find the lollies very appealing, but they have great home-made fudge and their coffee is excellent :P . . . goes very well with :cake: !

• Like 6

I had takeaway tea and cake from a cafe at a lovely garden that was open the other day.  Little Dog was allowed to walk round the garden and woods with me, and it made a lovely interval in the semi-lockdown we are still in.  Because they aren't so high-profile as the National Trust they have been able to open without getting so many visitors people can't social distance.  I also met a friend for a walk in the park yesterday keeping our two metres apart.  

Sadly, having mentioned on my Facebook page that I am doing online lessons now, I have received a very suspect email which I believe to be a scam I have read about previously. It has been updated to scam people during the pandemic and online lesson period. :(  I will not be replying to it. 

• Like 8
Skycaptain

Unfortunately there's lots of phishing scams going on at the moment. Theyre hoping that people who are struggling will have a lapse of judgement. 

I had a little cooking experiment last night. I made a lasagne, but used stock instead of bechemal sauce, and courgette on top instead of grated cheese 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Theyre hoping that people who are struggling will have a lapse of judgement. 

That, and - not to excuse it! - phishing is how some people make a living.  In periods of economic downturn they need to work harder to keep their income up too.

• Like 6

It's supposed to get to 90 F today, and my apartment doesn't have AC, so I'm off to the coast.  All my food is made and packed in the cooler, I have a full tank of gas, the seats in my car fold down into a bed, and I have a thick, comfy pad and pillows.  I'm pretty self-contained, so I shouldn't need to stop anywhere for anything except ocean gazing and walking, and a place to sleep.  I've researched some free camping sites, including a few parking lots.  If all goes well I won't be back until Saturday!

• Like 12
Gentle Giant

It’s beautiful weather the last couple days. Mom and I went for a walk this morning and washed windows.

I called in an order for some things at the drug store this morning and got most of the items we needed. I picked them up at the drive through and paid with credit card. Also did some laundry.

I got an email from my sister-in-law with pictures of my niece and nephew and the memorial quilts that were made for each of them out of my brother’s shirts. They had images of sports logos, the kid’s college names with dad, Disney images, etc. The quilts were beautiful but made me sad. I feel sad a lot. It’s been so hard to lose my brother. Life is so strange without him.

I think someone mentioned about TV stuff earlier in the thread. Our cable company is eventually going to ditch cable and move to streaming. I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I’m trying to find out what I can for options for mom who does like to watch TV. I’m afraid streaming is going to be too technical for her to manage, plus might even be more costly for us. Thought about maybe going with Dish. What do you guys use? Can you recommend anything that would be “easy” for mom to use?

@pickles mcgee Have a safe, fun trip!

• Like 9
Gentle Giant

Oh I forgot to mention that while I was driving downtown today I saw a groundhog/woodchuck running. Was unusual to see one.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I'm off to the coast

Have fun! My sister liked to do that when it got hot here. I'm fortunate that I have AC and a basement that tends to stay pretty cool. I've been spending most of today down there (here). :) 

1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

The quilts were beautiful but made me sad.

Sounds bittersweet. A good way to keep memories, but for such a sad reason.

1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

What do you guys use? Can you recommend anything that would be “easy” for mom to use?

How about antenna tv? The choices won't be as wide as what can be had with streaming services. I'm not sure about easy streaming services or devices. I feel like most these days are more complex than just turning on a tv and flipping through channels.

p.s. AC just kicked on :) 

• Like 8

@pickles mcgee Crown (public) land is closed to camping not sure why as most is remote and you wouldn't be 'cheek to jowl' with others as most people that camp on Crown land do it to get away from others. Mind you there is very little in southern Ontario, so parcels with lake access can get crowded on weekends.

Ontario's provincial parks opened up for day use a couple of weeks ago. No word when those campgrounds will reopened.

Canada's national parks opened up this week I think.

• Like 8

I imagine by now most of you have heard what's going on in Minneapolis after a white cop aggregiously murdered a black man. It was the worst case of racist behavior I've ever seen. Apparently the video and news have gone viral worldwide. 

We're back to lock down now due to the rioting and burning. It's moved to where I live from Minneapolis and St Paul. Both cities have shut down everything and now I hear everything in my town is also shut down. National Guard and FBI are here too. Nothing is safe anywhere.

Found out the cop who actually killed George Floyd once held my then high school aged nephew at gunpoint, threatening and insulting him and his friends. He was trying to get out of a car at his own house. He said the only reason he and his friends are alive is because they are white. Now he is being interviewed by news stations all over. The cop who actually did the killing has a long history of racist and abusive behavior. The other 3 formed a human shield around him blocking anyone else from interfering. They pinned George down for 8 minutes with a choke hold on his neck. He was dead by the time they got him into an ambulance.

The battle cry is to arrest the cops. Having seen lots of local video i agree. The governor and Minneapolis mayor are also calling for action. I'm shaking in anger and disbelief.

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, Deja Vu said:

I imagine by now most of you have heard what's going on in Minneapolis after a white cop aggregiously murdered a black man. It was the worst case of racist behavior I've ever seen. Apparently the video and news have gone viral worldwide. 

We're back to lock down now due to the rioting and burning. It's moved to where I live from Minneapolis and St Paul. Both cities have shut down everything and now I hear everything in my town is also shut down. National Guard and FBI are here too. Nothing is safe anywhere.

Found out the cop who actually killed George Floyd once held my then high school aged nephew at gunpoint, threatening and insulting him and his friends. He was trying to get out of a car at his own house. He said the only reason he and his friends are alive is because they are white. Now he is being interviewed by news stations all over. The cop who actually did the killing has a long history of racist and abusive behavior. The other 3 formed a human shield around him blocking anyone else from interfering. They pinned George down for 8 minutes with a choke hold on his neck. He was dead by the time they got him into an ambulance.

The battle cry is to arrest the cops. Having seen lots of local video i agree. The governor and Minneapolis mayor are also calling for action. I'm shaking in anger and disbelief.

We saw the original story in the UK. I didn't realise that it had escalated into the situation you describe. It just sounds so extreme. Yes we have racism here, and yes the Police force aren't exempt from that. But I'm still speechless at what has happened where you are..

Please stay safe. You don't need any more bad news right now.

Sending an e-hug (if you'll accept such) from across the Atlantic. 

• Like 11
32 minutes ago, Deja Vu said:

The battle cry is to arrest the cops. Having seen lots of local video i agree.

Me too. I heard they were fired, but big deal, that's not near enough punishment for them! I know I'm being naive, but it's unfathomable to me that this extreme racist behavior still exists.

• Like 11
Gentle Giant

@daveb I thought about antenna TV too. But not sure if we’d be able to pick up much in our area or at all. Also I think my mom would like more channels. Do you use an antenna on your roof or set up inside your house?

• Like 8

With a bigot in the white house, the racists feel they can, literally, get away with murder.🤬 Disgusting.

• Like 7

@Deja Vu, that is especially egregious that the cop who did the killing had a known history of abusive behavior and was still out there. And how frightening the incident with your nephew must have been for him and his friends. 

I finally turned on my A/C for the first time this season. We’ll have a steamy couple of days but next week will start off cooler. 

Well, I made it through nearly 11 weeks of working from home before my cable/WiFi setup abruptly went kaput this afternoon. It’s pretty old, so I guess I was on borrowed time. Thankfully my cable company is sending someone out later tomorrow (since I’m bad with this stuff), but I probably have to take a vacation day from work, since I won’t be able to do any.

• Like 8
54 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

@daveb I thought about antenna TV too. But not sure if we’d be able to pick up much in our area or at all. Also I think my mom would like more channels. Do you use an antenna on your roof or set up inside your house?

Indoor antenna. There are some really good ones these days, and they don't have to take up a lot of space.

1 hour ago, Deja Vu said:

Minneapolis

I hadn't see the latest news, but it's an awful situation. Racism is befuddling to me. I can't even imagine how some people can have that much hate and prejudice. It's terrible that the police killed that man. Hopefully rioting will become under control somehow. I remember the riots in Los Angeles when the stuff with Rodney King was happening. To think we haven't come very far since then is saddening/maddening. I won't go any further into politics here, but I agree with @Tja.

16 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

my cable/WiFi setup

Good luck getting it back up and running again! Hopefully it will end up being an improvement. If nothing else at least it will be newer/updated equipment, yes?

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, daveb said:

If nothing else at least it will be newer/updated equipment, yes?

Indeed. I just hate when tech devices don’t give you any warning when they’re getting ready to fail.😟 Especially given how reliant we are on them. 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

Oh I forgot to mention that while I was driving downtown today I saw a groundhog/woodchuck running. Was unusual to see one.

They don’t run like they’re made for it, for sure.

• Like 7