anyone past 50 on here?

11 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

@Muledeer I can't believe you have that photo!!  Per @daveb, the puppy in the front is Marybeth.  She's an English Cream Golden Retriever and the one the background is Isabelle, who is a Yellow Labrador Retriever

That photo is one of the cutest puppy pictures I have ever seen.  I saved it right after you posted it here on AVEN, although I'm not sure if it was 2,3,or 4 years ago.  It somehow keeps showing up on "my photos" preview of my computer's file or app preview screen.  Do I remember correctly that Marybeth never made it as your new guide dog?  An English Cream Golden Retriever?  I only know about Irish Cream -themed things like Baileys or St Brenden's😎

• Like 6

@tdot, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 5

Having 3 dogs is a challenge at times.  In general, they are very well behaved and bring joy to my life.  However, they often bark.  When it's just one dog, it's easier to redirect.  But all 3!?  When one stops, at least one other continues, then it instigates the others.  When they are outside, they tend to bark at the neighbors, but they don't do it for very long.  However, when anyone comes to the door, which is pretty much a couple of times per day (e.g., FedEX, UPS), once they start barking they don't stop!! I have to shout and redirect them.  Sometimes, I'm upstairs or downstairs doing yoga and I can't redirect them at that moment, so it continues on and on.   I just ordered some loud whistles.  I'm hoping to use that when they bark.  Distract them with it, and have them come to me, and then they'll get a treat.   If I do it enough, even if I'm in a different part of the house, I can still blow it and it should make them stop even though they wouldn't get a treat that time.  I just need to remember to carry them with me.  Crossing my fingers that it will work.  

• Like 8
9 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

Crossing my fingers that it will work.  

Good luck! Sounds like a good plan.

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

which is pretty much a couple of times per day (e.g., FedEX, UPS),

😲 how much on-line shopping do you do? 

Only teasing...

• Like 6
56 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

Crossing my fingers that it will work.

It certainly sounds like it has good potential.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

Having 3 dogs is a challenge at times.  In general, they are very well behaved and bring joy to my life.  However, they often bark.  When it's just one dog, it's easier to redirect.  But all 3!?  When one stops, at least one other continues, then it instigates the others.  When they are outside, they tend to bark at the neighbors, but they don't do it for very long.  However, when anyone comes to the door, which is pretty much a couple of times per day (e.g., FedEX, UPS), once they start barking they don't stop!! I have to shout and redirect them.  Sometimes, I'm upstairs or downstairs doing yoga and I can't redirect them at that moment, so it continues on and on.   I just ordered some loud whistles.  I'm hoping to use that when they bark.  Distract them with it, and have them come to me, and then they'll get a treat.   If I do it enough, even if I'm in a different part of the house, I can still blow it and it should make them stop even though they wouldn't get a treat that time.  I just need to remember to carry them with me.  Crossing my fingers that it will work.  

Knowing my luck, the dogs would ignore me but the UPS and Fed Ex drivers would be there asking for their treat.

• Like 7

A while ago we were discussing Star Trek on this thread! Anyone watching the new Picard series? The first episode is now out. (I'm saving it till I visit my parents in a few weeks: I always watch star trek with my mother.)

• Like 7

@michaeld Oh I’d like to see that Picard show. But isn’t it on Netflix and not on regular TV?

I have some terrible news. My brother died in his sleep. Mom and I are in total shock! I just can’t believe it. He was almost 52.

• Like 8

@Gentle Giant, that is terribly heartbreaking news. Deepest condolences to you and your mom and to your brother’s other loved ones. 52 is way too young. 

• Like 8
42 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

I have some terrible news. My brother died in his sleep. Mom and I are in total shock! I just can’t believe it. He was almost 52.

That is heartbreaking.  PMing you now.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, michaeld said:

(I'm saving it till I visit my parents in a few weeks: I always watch star trek with my mother.)

How fun--I love these kinds of traditions.

• Like 7
On 1/24/2020 at 7:35 AM, ryn2 said:

Dogjam!

Hahaha!

6 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Knowing my luck, the dogs would ignore me but the UPS and Fed Ex drivers would be there asking for their treat.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

Oh, no!  I’m so sorry!  How sad and, like you said, an awful shock.  You and your mom are in my thoughts for sure.

I wish there was something I could say or so that would help...

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

@teatree He had a bad cough for quite a while but said he was feeling better more recently. Mom and I think he might have had pneumonia.

That is so completely awful.  My condolences again.

• Like 6
35 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

@teatree He had a bad cough for quite a while but said he was feeling better more recently. Mom and I think he might have had pneumonia.

My condolences, too. :( 

(I had pneumonia when I was a kid - was out of school for 2 weeks and on limited activity levels for another couple of weeks when I returned to school)

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise

Oh, @Gentle Giant, I'm so sorry to hear that . . . it must have been a terrible shock for you and your mom. Massive *Hugs* to you both!

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise
On 24 January 2020 at 6:21 AM, Nick2 said:

Could be worse.  You could be using your 5G device under a wind turbine and get cancer along with having bald eagles dropping on your head.

There are a lot of wild stories going around about wind turbines, but I think they're just that . . . stories :D ( . . . probably helped along by opponents of renewable energy/supporters of coal-fired power. And similarly with cell/mobile phones - as far as I can tell, there's no reliable science to support fears of harm from using them, although, again, there were some apparently unsubstantiated stories circulating near where I live when there was a recent proposal to construct a 5G tower. I couldn't get by without my mobile phone now!

As for the bald eagles, I'd be very excited to see one, although preferably not on my head :lol:

• Like 9
26 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

As for the bald eagles, I'd be very excited to see one, although preferably not on my head :lol:

I saw one directly overhead, but a ways up in the sky over my house, last year.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, daveb said:

I saw one directly overhead, but a ways up in the sky over my house, last year.

They are all over where I am.  They follow the geese and pick off the sick and weak.  Survival of the fittest.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

They are all over where I am.  They follow the geese and pick off the sick and weak.  Survival of the fittest.

Yeah, they're fairly widespread here, too. Thanks to banning of DDT. :) 

• Like 6

Went hiking yesterday and today.  The first park was Henry Coe and it was wonderfully sunny and warm but not too warm.  The second park was Portola State Park.  The weather was very nice again but the hike was in the Redwood forest so was cooler and different than Henry Coe.  

Pictures: 

Henry Coe:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sr8KUCeMisMbj75P9

Portola State Park: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UPnpvKgwLYsGbhHg7

• Like 8
48 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

That would be pretty cool to see...bald eagles stalking the weak geese.  Have you ever seen it?

• Like 7