anyone past 50 on here?

1 hour ago, teatree said:

Yes, gray hair definitely has a coarser quality

My now-gray hair is visibly coarser no matter how often I use conditioner, but c’est la vie.:P I have zero regrets about not coloring it anymore. I’ve even managed to persuade two friends who were considering doing the same, but were hesitant about what the results would be, to take the plunge. :)

• Like 7

Started to snow about an hour ago. Supposed to get 15 to 20 cms today

YAAYYYYY!

• Like 6

We’re a little over that here already.  As I had to walk five miles and now have to go back out and shovel (not for the last time, I’m sure) I am somewhat less enamored!  XD

• Like 5

It is just car accident after car accident here this late afternoon/evening!  It’s far from the first snow of the season... in fact, it is not even the first snow of the week.

• Like 6

Back from the San Jose Womxn's March (yes I did spell it Womxn -- it is meant to make the march more welcoming to non-binary gender folks).  Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VnH4ZjrCdqLUHXRK7

It was a pretty mellow march with a lot smaller a crowd than the one in 2017 (right after Trump was elected) but the crowd was good and I got energy for staying at my usual level of political activism (giving money to candidates I prefer, encouraging folks to get out and vote, and being sure to listen and learn about all the candidates).   

Cathy

• Like 9

Two frosty mornings and sunny days in a row, shock!! 

Makes a change from all the rain we've had in the last three months. 

• Like 6

Just learned a new word today: jamoke. It apparently originated in the 19th century as a blended word from java and mocha, then in the 1920s became slang for "someone who lacked mental abilities beyond that of a cup of coffee." (And no, it was not directed at me.... I heard it in a podcast I was listening to!)

• Like 7

Our plow guy finally got here and got the most of the snow plowed out. I just got in from scraping off some of the leftover stuff. I don’t know how much we got but it was a lot. More than 6 inches.

This weekend got laundry done, vacuumed the upstairs, listened to and recorded to MP3s some LP records. I record whole sides of records instead of individual songs to keep it simple and less stressful. I transfer to computer and label it. Still have it get mixed up in Windows Media Player, but am able to correct it somewhat. Hard to get separated tracks together but came up with a work around to get them together again. Easy to add and replace wrong or missing cover art. VLC player back to skipping again. Boo! Anyway the records I recorded were Monkees - 1st, More of the Monkees, Pisces Aquarius Capricorn and Jones LTD, Kiss - 1st and Love Gun. I plan to get the Beatles 1967 - 1970 Blue Album and many others done later. It will be nice and convenient for listening to my favorite albums I don’t have on CD on my computer. listening to the records themselves is a lot of fun. Need to do that more often.

Watching The Monkees first season on DVD. Just watched Monkees A La Mode episode last night. Super funny! “Rob Roy Fingerhead?!”

• Like 6

We got about a foot here but some of it was quite wet...  it’s compressed into about 8” of standing snow, with just flurries falling presently.  I feel like all I did this weekend was shovel but that’s  not actually true.  :)

• Like 5

I feel I ought to finish a sub-thread (in this thread) that I instigated. As it's an over-50's thread I guess a lot of us will have heard of The Smurfs (if not you can stop reading now or Google them and be shocked). This was in the days before CGI, so if you wanted a blue village you had to find a village and paint it blue. That's what happened! Juzcar accepted the payment to have ALL their buildings painted blue and to be repainted back to traditional white after filming was complete. But Juzcar is very isolated and impoverished. And tourists started coming to see the Blue Smurf Village. So they kept the blue.

It's still blue to this day. StreetView on GoogleMaps reveals it in all its glory.

• Like 11

Interesting story @Midland Tyke. I suppose the tourist dollars outweighed living in an all blue village.

My mother always wanted her hair to go gray, and even bought that blueing shampoo that is supposed to enhance gray. Unfortunately she comes from a line of slow graying females. I seem to have gotten that gene, too, since at 63 I only have a few strands of gray.

we got our first real snow of the season- about 6 inches. I think it was hard for the forecasters since all they said was “a few to several” inches. I guess they didn’t want to commit.

• Like 6

Went hiking with my buddy Sharon.   It was a grayish coolish day in the bay area.   We had to skirt around some mud on the trail but mostly it was a pretty easy hike through the red woods to a meadow and back.

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/r3MokimN8pefRmUq8

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

I think it was hard for the forecasters since all they said was “a few to several” inches. 

Another thread in this forum is about things that don’t change, and unpredictable winter weather forecasting is definitely one of them. So my philosophy about forecasts is just to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. :P

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Another thread in this forum is about things that don’t change, and unpredictable winter weather forecasting is definitely one of them. So my philosophy about forecasts is just to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. :P

This seemed unusually bad - normally they estimate and are right or wrong.  This time they were all “we have no idea!”

• Like 5

@cdrdash, great pics, impressive fungi

@Midland Tyke, I reckon they got Peyo'd a lot for that 😋 😋 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, ryn2 said:

This seemed unusually bad - normally they estimate and are right or wrong.  This time they were all “we have no idea!”

In my area I heard "3 to 7 inches" and also "4 to 8 inches"--we actually got 4.5.

• Like 6
On 1/18/2020 at 11:44 AM, Semisweet said:

@Midland Tyke, my visit to the white villages was part of a weeklong driving trip that friends and I took around Andalucia. We based in Ronda for part of it and from there visited Arcos, Grazalema and Zahara.  We found them all quite charming and picturesque, even if some of the narrow twisty roads between them are a bit nerve-wracking.-_-

And I hadn’t heard of the Village Juzcar but just looked it up.:P

We’re due for our first “real” snowstorm of the winter today (till now we’ve had just a couple of light dustings), though I suspect it won’t amount to much seeing as the temperatures are likely going above freezing by late afternoon.

When I visited, we only saw maybe two or three tour buses. And in periods when the buses weren't there we felt like we were the only strangers in town. That felt nice. Being so close to the solstice meant that daylight was quite short, though, which restricted our time outdoors. But yes, all pleasant places. I think I found driving IN the villages worse than driving BETWEEN them. Those streets are narrow! And steep! And parked up!

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I think I found driving IN the villages worse than driving BETWEEN them. Those streets are narrow! And steep! And parked up!

Trying to find parking in one of those villages, we went up just that sort of steep and narrow street, with a single lane and cars parked tightly on both sides, only to discover when we saw a car headed right toward us that this street was somehow two ways. :o There’s a reason you don’t see many SUVs in European villages...

• Like 7

I think that Andalucia is lovely. I've stayed in Antequera and driven through some of the villages. Not @Midland Tyke's  blue one though. (What a great story.) I love Nerja on the coast. There's a cave there with, so I read, the largest free standing stalagmite in Europe. I have a picture of it on my wall.

I like fungi too so I also like Cathy's pictures. I couldn't see those drop box ones on an Android tablet though @cdrdash 

Soccer one. Sorry for those who aren't the least bit interested. (How strange!) LFC will the Premiership. Certain. Hooray. Great plus every synonym possible.

I've sort of done what @Gentle Giant has done and put all the old LPs and stuff onto the computer (although I still have a record player in the living room and sometimes play a whole side through in the old-fashioned way.) Mostly I listen to blues - or what used to be called R & B, though that means something different now which is confusing. Some folk, some psychedelia (turned 20 in the sixties) and some LA style country rock. And various groups whose genres I'm not sure of: the Only Ones, Jesus and Mary Chain. I listen to a lot of modern stuff on YouTube. Kate Rusby and The Young'uns for folk, Justin Johnson for blues... YouTube's great for me because of not having a TV. 

We've had a couple of good weather days and it's noticeably lighter after 4 pm. My thoughts are turning to holidays. I'm off to Leamington Spa shortly for a long weekend at my son's and I'm off to Durham in April for close on a week. I'm looking forward to both. The Lem trip coincides with Brexit. If there are disruptions, there's nothing I can do about them so no point in worrying about things I can't influence, I suppose. 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Semisweet said:

There’s a reason you don’t see many SUVs in European villages...

Because the locals are sensible and know how to drive. Its only super-status-concious Britain where everyone "Has" to have a top of the range Chelsea Tractor to go "seriously off-roading" by mounting the kerb outside the school when they drop their one kidlet off. Here we regard eight year old BMWs. Mercs and Audis as junk, so half of Rumania and Poland drive around in RHD cars

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

And tourists started coming to see the Blue Smurf Village. So they kept the blue.

When I did a search, the first term that came up was...

Screen-Shot-2020-01-21-at-6-48-58-am.png

I had a look as some photos, It really is very, er, BLUE! Loud shouty BLUE!

• Like 6

Another mellow fun hike today in the gray weather.  Although today it wasn't as chilly as yesterday.  We were comfortable hiking in sweatshirts.  There was very little wind which surprised us being on the bluffs next to the ocean.   I am enjoying my Martin Luther King holiday off from work!  The hike was at Wilder Ranch State Park just north of Santa Cruz California.

Pictures:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/gDd8XqQHSvn5fqJs5

Cathy

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Kazbe said:

When I did a search, the first term that came up was...

Screen-Shot-2020-01-21-at-6-48-58-am.png

I had a look as some photos, It really is very, er, BLUE! Loud shouty BLUE!

It's Smurf blue. Or powder blue, maybe? It's a great little story, isn't it?

• Like 6
2 hours ago, cdrdash said:

the bluffs next to the ocean. 

What an angry ocean!  cool pictures.

• Like 6