anyone past 50 on here?

12 minutes ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

Creamy stuff cooked on the stove, made mostly of milk, sugar, and eggs.  It is just stirred in a pan, not steamed or baked.  The most common flavors are chocolate and vanilla, and lemon for lemon meringue pie.

Pudding in the US is most similar to what everyone else calls custard.  :)

• Like 5

I baked approximately 14 dozen chocolate chip cookies this afternoon. That was a double batch. I think I will need to make at least another single batch. And I only ate 4 cookies myself (with 3 "rejects" saved for another day).

My daily walks and watching what I eat are paying off. I'm 20-25 pounds lighter than I was around mid-summer. Still want to lose more weight, so I plan to keep on this course until I get to a weight that feels right.

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'm 20-25 pounds lighter than I was around mid-summer.

Sadly, I know where half of it went!

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Sadly, I know where half of it went!

I took the other half, and I'm eating Mexican Wedding Cookies as we speak.  I made them yesterday morning with my granddaughter.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt8vbhcZmTyHyTtrsJ8e_

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Try this for what I mean as a steamed pudding.

That looks yummy!  I watched the whole thing.  As @ryn2 says, the custard topping does look similar to our pudding, but runnier.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Yeah, I believe it’s (US?) military slang rather than Canadian (or other-metric-system-using-nation’s) slang.

You're probably right.

• Like 5

It could probably also be military slang from somewhere else that the US military picked up along the way.

• Like 5
On 11/27/2019 at 8:18 PM, Tja said:

True. I do think I've been alone too long, now.

I hear you on that - but I don't hold any hope for it changing.

On 11/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

I took my granddog on a hike today to Powell Butte.

I love that you have a granddog.

• Like 7

Saw my first snowfall of the year, this evening. Lovely!

At this festive time of year, it happened, appropriately, as I was driving through Bethlehem...

Spoiler

...Pennsylvania :P

It put me in such a good mood, that, while still a devout Atheist, had I come across a heavily pregnant woman on a donkey, I would have gladly stopped to offer her a ride to the nearest stable. :)

• Like 11
Custard Cream
1 hour ago, Tja said:

Saw my first snowfall of the year, this evening. Lovely!

At this festive time of year, it happened, appropriately, as I was driving through Bethlehem...

Hide contents

...Pennsylvania :P

It put me in such a good mood, that, while still a devout Atheist, had I come across a heavily pregnant woman on a donkey, I would have gladly stopped to offer her a ride to the nearest stable. :)

That made me chortle! 🤣

• Like 8

I was surprised at the etymology of "Klick", which seems to have originated in the Vietnam war. I'd have thought it would have come from NATO being metric and the USA imperial, but apparently not. 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

I was surprised at the etymology of "Klick", which seems to have originated in the Vietnam war. I'd have thought it would have come from NATO being metric and the USA imperial, but apparently not. 

Probably for most US servicemen that was the first time they ever heard the word kilometer. I think the road signs in Vietnam were metric according to the story.

• Like 7
23 minutes ago, will123 said:

Probably for most US servicemen that was the first time they ever heard the word kilometer. I think the road signs in Vietnam were metric according to the story.

They would have been, as Vietnam was a former French colony 

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Tja said:

This is hilarious!

• Like 6
On 12/9/2019 at 9:29 PM, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

I took the other half, and I'm eating Mexican Wedding Cookies as we speak.  I made them yesterday morning with my granddaughter.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt8vbhcZmTyHyTtrsJ8e_

Ooh, we used to make these for Christmas. My mother loved them.

I had granddogs ages before grandkids, lol. I currently have 3 grand dogs and 3 grandkids.

@Tja, lol!

we had our yearly holiday lunch/dinner at work today. I think I ate a billion calories. The desserts were great! (I ate 3 of them.)

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

I had granddogs ages before grandkids, lol. I currently have 3 grand dogs and 3 grandkids.

I assume that having offspring is a precursor to having granddogs, in which case I will never have one.  However, would a friend's dog be considered a goddog if you agree to be its keeper if the friend dies? 

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I assume that having offspring is a precursor to having grandogs, in which case I will never have one.  However, would a friend's dog be considered a goddog if you agree to be its keeper if the friend dies? 

Absolutely!

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I assume that having offspring is a precursor to having grandogs, in which case I will never have one.  However, would a friend's dog be considered a goddog if you agree to be its keeper if the friend dies?

Seems logical (goddog).

You could also have granddogs if you get a dog that has puppies, or adopt a dog and its puppy, no?

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

You could also have granddogs if you get a dog that has puppies, or adopt a dog and its puppy, no?

Nope.  In that case I would have to consider myself a "pet parent".  I have an aversion to any kind of offspring.  I am, or will be, (since I am currently dog-free)  my dog's owner, their keeper, their master their human, person or best friend, but not their dad.   And I am strictly a "one dog at a time" pet owner.

• Like 8
43 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

However, would a friend's dog be considered a goddog if you agree to be its keeper if the friend dies? 

For sure!

39 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Absolutely! When your 'kids' have offspring, it makes you grand.;)

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

Nope.  In that case I would have to consider myself a "pet parent".  I have an aversion to any kind of offspring.  I am, or will be, (since I am currently dog-free)  my dog's owner, their keeper, their master their human, person or best friend, but not their dad.   And I am strictly a "one dog at a time" pet owner.

Makes sense.  I don’t consider my pets my kids either.  No grandpets for us.

• Like 7

My "pets" consider me their slave :P:P

Still at least they're leaving the tree alone 

• Like 8
On 12/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, Muledeer said:

I am, or will be, (since I am currently dog-free)  my dog's owner, their keeper, their master their human, person or best friend, but not their dad.

I'm with you on that as well. I am not a cat mum, and they are not my babies. Although they are such small cats, especially Murray, that I do call them "little ones". I can see how that might be misconstrued.

• Like 7

I feel like  a mum to my boys, Cat and Little Dog. :)  The vets call them by first name and my surname, and refer to me as mum.  There is full on sibling rivalry in this household too.

All the talk on puddings makes me hungry.  Is Christmas Pudding popular in the US?  

Our mini Trump has got back in with a greatly increased majority.  What is going on? 😮 

• Like 8

@Mizzletoe, I think most vets refer to pets like that. It's partly because pets are part of the family, and partly to avoid confusion if there's two similar animals with the same name

As for our election, I think that Corbout made Labour unelectable to many, as he's too far left. Also there were a lot of people who would otherwise have voted Labour, but are Brexiteers, so voted Conservative to get things through 

• Like 7