anyone past 50 on here?

Lots of clouds, wind, and occasional sprinkles so far today in Mountain View, California.  It looks like it is raining hard in the surrounding Diablo and Santa Cruz mountains!  I walked through Google Campus and Shoreline Park to the Stevens Creek Nature area and back (starting from my front door).   Good to finally get outdoors and get some exercise.  I had a very sedate week of staying indoors and not doing much exercise at all!

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dKJYVjnaC7VSLTsd6

• Like 7

We've been having a rainy day so I didn't go on my daily walk. Instead I stayed in, worked on Christmas cards, hung some Christmas lights around some bookcases in my living room, and made a double batch of chocolate chip cookie dough which I will bake tomorrow and/or Monday so I can make up some packages to ship. All while having Christmas/Solstice songs playing on my pc. Feeling festive. :D 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, daveb said:

We've been having a rainy day so I didn't go on my daily walk. Instead I stayed in, worked on Christmas cards, hung some Christmas lights around some bookcases in my living room, and made a double batch of chocolate chip cookie dough which I will bake tomorrow and/or Monday so I can make up some packages to ship. All while having Christmas/Solstice songs playing on my pc. Feeling festive. :D 

Wow, love chocolate chip cookies.  Sure hope you still have my address.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, daveb said:

I stayed in, worked on Christmas cards, hung some Christmas lights around some bookcases in my living room, and made a double batch of chocolate chip cookie dough which I will bake tomorrow and/or Monday so I can make up some packages to ship. All while having Christmas/Solstice songs playing on my pc. Feeling festive. :D 

That sounds lovely, @daveb!

Today I helped wrap presents where my sister works--presents for children in need, served by some organizations that she does outreach for. Only took about an hour,  as there were about 10 of us wrapping. Fun!

• Like 8
10 hours ago, Mizzletoe said:

Just one fluffy dog wagging a bushy tail.

I see that now!

7 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I don't know whether there'll be any firies free to go tree-cutting.

The word "firies" led to a fun twenty minutes perusing the web for Aussie slang.  You folks are tops at abbreviations!

• Like 6

@Muledeer, that drainage estimate is awful :(

@cdrdash, great photos, and those clouds give them added drama

My mum used to make rhubarb ice cream, along with stewed rhubarb, crumbles etc. Our patch at the end of the garden was almost indestructible. 

@Mizzletoe, Little Dog looks like they're enjoying the festivities 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

My mum used to make rhubarb ice cream, along with stewed rhubarb, crumbles etc.

That all sounds delicious, and I've never heard of rhubarb ice cream.  I have a neighbor who develops ice cream flavors for a local, pricey ice cream company; I'll have to suggest that (I suggested loquat when she was traveling to Southern Cal to do special flavors for them, and she loved the idea).

My grandma was the one who made rhubarb pie.  She used to cook up whatever rhubarb she had, and sweeten it for a pie, then if there was any filling left over she would spoon it into custard cups and bake those along with the pie.  Is that your rhubarb "pudding," @Autumn Sunrise, or was yours smooth like pudding?

• Like 7

Work has been very tiring. Just going to get worse the next 2 weeks as we have to move lots of residents to different rooms, then deep clean the vacated ones. We’re down about 20 beds and cutting hours. The good thing about cutting is that we get an extra day off and can use PTO to get paid for those days. The bad thing is it puts us behind having only one person working that day.

Yesterday Mom and I went out of town to do some Christmas shopping. I think we’re mostly done now. I got all but one wrapped yesterday. Listened to my Spotify Christmas playlist I made while doing so, which was fun. I had music from Rudolph, Charlie Brown, Chipmunks, Muppets, Grinch and from the various artists Goodyear albums, such as Andy Williams, Barbra Striesand, Ray Conniff, Percy Faith Orchestra, New Christy Minstrels, Etc. and even Bob Rivers “I Am Santa Claus” which is to the tune of “Iron Man” by Black Sabbath. Funny!

I’m not feeling well though lately and especially today. Lots of aches, pains, acid and stomach problems. Blah!

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

I’m not feeling well though lately and especially today.

I hope you feel better soon!

Got a good walk in in the woods this morning. There was some fog and a little mist, but no rain today.

• Like 6

I attended a brunch today that was heavy on holiday cookies and cakes. Offering to help clean up meant I was one of the last to leave, so the hostess insisted I take most of the remaining cookies with me. I’m trying to resist them long enough to take to work tomorrow to share, as the alternative is going into a sugar coma tonight.:P

Not sure I’ve ever had rhubarb pie!

Feel better quickly, @Gentle Giant.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

I’m not feeling well though lately and especially today.

Hope whatever it is heads on out soon!

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise
6 hours ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

That all sounds delicious, and I've never heard of rhubarb ice cream.  I have a neighbor who develops ice cream flavors for a local, pricey ice cream company; I'll have to suggest that (I suggested loquat when she was traveling to Southern Cal to do special flavors for them, and she loved the idea).

My grandma was the one who made rhubarb pie.  She used to cook up whatever rhubarb she had, and sweeten it for a pie, then if there was any filling left over she would spoon it into custard cups and bake those along with the pie.  Is that your rhubarb "pudding," @Autumn Sunrise, or was yours smooth like pudding?

I think it was mainly stewed rhubarb and custard, for "everyday", but for Sundays or any other special occasions the rhubarb would have been in a pie or a sponge pudding :P

• Like 5

While the wusses on TV complained about the cold yesterday and waiting thru today for tomorrow's rain, I went for my first snowmobile ride of the season today. Only about 20 klicks, but it's a start.

• Like 7
28 minutes ago, will123 said:

While the wusses on TV complained about the cold yesterday and waiting thru today for tomorrow's rain, I went for my first snowmobile ride of the season today. Only about 20 klicks, but it's a start.

I don't know much about snowmobiling.  What is a klick?  Is it a speed measurement?

Cathy

• Like 4

The sun came out today and I led a hike for the Sierra Club at Palo Alto Bay Lands.  We had a very mellow pleasant flat 5.5 mile hike.   After the hike I went to our Loma Prieta Gay and Lesbian Sierrans annual holiday party.   We had lots of good food at the potluck.  Lots of chicken dishes this year.  Good thing I like chicken!  My buddy, Sharon, brought a delicious chocolate tart.  I had two pieces.    

Pictures from hike: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yn4k24K969S17e29A

• Like 8
2 hours ago, cdrdash said:

I don't know much about snowmobiling.  What is a klick?  Is it a speed measurement?

Cathy

Slang for kilometer

(I guess I'm a bit late on my response LOL)

• Like 6

Hope you're feeling better already, @Gentle Giant, or that you will soon be.

I've never heard of sponge pudding, @Autumn Sunrise.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, Semisweet said:

I’m trying to resist them long enough to take to work tomorrow to share, as the alternative is going into a sugar coma tonight.:P

You're my soul sister!  One time I asked my friendliest neighbor if she would keep my box of See's candies at her house so that I could pace myself, but she was not interested.  It did not seem that strange a request to me, but she seemed to think it was.

21 hours ago, cdrdash said:

What is a klick? 

It was just yesterday that I learned that klick=kilometer on an Aussie slang page!

On 12/8/2019 at 1:14 PM, daveb said:

Got a good walk in in the woods this morning. There was some fog and a little mist, but no rain today.

My walk was this afternoon.  Same beautiful fog and mist, the trees around the butte peeking out from mistiness.  Soo pretty.

And then I went with my ex to try to re-home his cat (he can't take her with him to Utah).  He'd posted a classified ad on-line and had gotten a taker, but when we dropped her off I began to feel uneasy about the new situation.  The cat is a special needs cat (my ex was up front about her issues in his ad), and besides major trust issues and some behavior issues, she also has blocked tear ducts and irritated eyes.  The new people are apparently heavy smokers who smoke indoors--I've never smelled such heavy cigarette smoke outside a bar.  We got on our way and I voiced my concerns to my ex, and I was feeling worse and worse about it as we drove home.  We ended up texting and explaining our concerns and saying we could come get her if her eyes seemed to get worse.  They said absolutely--they understood--and her eyes were already weepy, and not ten minutes later they also called to say please hurry because she is growling and hissing at us!  By the time we got there she was a wild animal; we had to throw a towel over her and really hold onto her to get her back in her carrier.

Ohmyheck, we were all so relieved to get back to my ex's place; poor kitty!  The cat is so bonded to my ex, and only truly comfortable with him.  She does fine when I stay over when he's out of town, but we've tried her at my place and it does not work at all.  I have no idea what he is going to do.

• Like 6

@Snegurochka McLouWho  You will have to hope a cat whisperer turns up who wants to adopt her.  Some people have a gift with animals.  One of my shelties was devoted to my father as he became old and frail.  While on holiday mum and I had gone to the shops for supplies while my father walked the dog.  Unfortunately he fell making his way down a steep path and broke his femur.  No one could get near him as the sheltie stood guard, barking fiercely.  Someone suggested calling a young woman who lived in the village who was good with dogs.  Fortunately she was available and not far away and she was able to coax the dog to her so the ambulance crew could attend to my father.  She then took the traumatised dog to her cottage where I picked him up later, once mum and I had returned to the holiday cottage and found out what had happened.  Hopefully a person as good with cats as that woman was with dogs will appear. 

• Like 7

I first read the usage of klick as slang for kilometer reading a book oin the late 70s about the Vietnam war. Even though Canada had gone metric, everyone just said kilometer when stating a distance. Most of the time I just say klicks. I don't think I've had anyone ask me what it meant.

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise

I guess "sponge pudding" might be my description, although I have recipe books with instructions for making puddings called "lemon sponge", "chocolate sponge", etc.  It's like a cake, but usually moister, and may have an under layer of cooked fruit or thick syrup (chocolate, lemon, etc). It can be steamed or baked, and is often served with custard, cream or ice cream on top. Delectable, but NOT good for keeping the weight off :lol:

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Mizzletoe said:

Hopefully a person as good with cats as that woman was with dogs will appear. 

That would be a blessed Christmas miracle!

That was quite a story about your dad and your sheltie.  Your poor dad, breaking his femur at an advanced age.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, will123 said:

I first read the usage of klick as slang for kilometer reading a book oin the late 70s about the Vietnam war. Even though Canada had gone metric, everyone just said kilometer when stating a distance. Most of the time I just say klicks. I don't think I've had anyone ask me what it meant.

In the late 80/early 90s I spent a few road trips with a former RAF trainer. She used 'klicks/clicks?' as short for km. I got the impression she got it from the RAF.

1 hour ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I guess "sponge pudding" might be my description, although I have recipe books with instructions for making puddings called "lemon sponge", "chocolate sponge", etc.  It's like a cake, but usually moister, and may have an under layer of cooked fruit or thick syrup (chocolate, lemon, etc). It can be steamed or baked, and is often served with custard, cream or ice cream on top. Delectable, but NOT good for keeping the weight off :lol:

I recognise these as steam-puddings. The steam refers to the traditional way of cooking them - in a steamer.

• Like 7

Until I came along and asked what it meant :P yesterday!

• Like 8

This pudding convo is starting to sound familiar... 

For Americans, pudding is this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD_ooC4l-IpNxSA0jNSym

Creamy stuff cooked on the stove, made mostly of milk, sugar, and eggs.  It is just stirred in a pan, not steamed or baked.  The most common flavors are chocolate and vanilla, and lemon for lemon meringue pie.

• Like 7

I first read the usage of klick as slang for kilometer reading a book oin the late 70s about the Vietnam war.

Yeah, I believe it’s (US?) military slang rather than Canadian (or other-metric-system-using-nation’s) slang.

• Like 6