anyone past 50 on here?

6 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I've read some of your posts. I think you'd be able to do it! 

What a great vote of confidence -- thanks!

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise

@cdrdash A very varied and interesting collection of pictures, from your walks . . . I especially like the little scorpion :)

Welcome to the thread, @ChristineN and @schadeaux :cake: :cake: :cake: I hope you both enjoy yhe company and conversations here!

6 hours ago, ms. mortricia said:

It would depend on which part of me you asked.  Ask my back and she would tell you she feels like a teenager,  Ask my knees and they would give you a much higher number, in a very creaky voice.

. . . and if you asked my right shoulder, right  now she'd probably say "90+" in a sad, elderly voice :(. Hopefully, in a few more months she'll have a more optimistic estimate!

A belated "Happy Birthday" to you, @faraday☘ . . . hope it was a good one :D

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

. . . and if you asked my right shoulder, right  now she'd probably say "90+" in a sad, elderly voice :(.

Oh, no!  I was thinking your shoulder was doing better than that.  I hope a few more months will make a big difference.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

Hopefully, in a few more months she'll have a more optimistic estimate!

I hope so! :) 

I was just thinking about @Spotastic, and wondering how he is doing and how his schooling is going. I hope all is well! :) 

• Like 7

@cdrdash, great photos. I've never heard of UV torches. Could be interesting what some of the insects around here look like.

Considering how much rain we've had recently, I'm surprised how slow the flow in the river is. I'd have expected it to be in full spate

• Like 5
7 hours ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

@cdrdash, great photos. I've never heard of UV torches. Could be interesting what some of the insects around here look like.

Considering how much rain we've had recently, I'm surprised how slow the flow in the river is. I'd have expected it to be in full spate

They are also called black lights and I looked on Amazon for them and most seemed to be advertised as being able to detect pet urine stains.   Black lights were popular in the sixties and seventies.  I have dim memories of hearing about them as a kid but I never saw one or had one.

• Like 7

Smashing photos @cdrdash. I do like those twisted trees and the peeling tree bark ( and the little scorpions).

I've wondered about Spotastic, too, @daveb . Hope it's just work keeping him busy. I've been to Warwick Castle too. Their birds of prey displays are the best I've ever seen. Watching the condor cover several hundred metres in four wing beats was wonderful.

Later this week I'm going walking and dancing and I don't know which bits of me will give up first. Dancing morning and evening. Walking in the afternoon.  Not as far as Cathy or @Midland Tyke do, but I have to stay in one piece for the dancing. It's a very pretty location ( been before) in Shropshire but it's a lot of different trains. 

I do sympathise with  people's aches and pains! 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, cdrdash said:

They are also called black lights and I looked on Amazon for them and most seemed to be advertised as being able to detect pet urine stains.   Black lights were popular in the sixties and seventies.  I have dim memories of hearing about them as a kid but I never saw one or had one.

They’re popular in clubs because they highlight fluorescent colors.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Tunhope said:

It's a very pretty location ( been before) in Shropshire but it's a lot of different trains. 

Church Stretton? The hills around there are STEEP....

• Like 6
3 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Black lights were popular in the sixties and seventies.  I have dim memories of hearing about them as a kid but I never saw one or had one.

Oh, yeah. I remember those and all the posters for use with blacklights. 

3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Hope it's just work keeping him busy.

That's my hope, too. :) 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, cdrdash said:

I have a black light setting on my inspection flashlight.  Its amazing what kinds of things fluoresce.  We use them to detect rodent urine stains, hard water scale, and all kinds of organic food residue.  I've heard of some pretty gross things being found in hotel rooms with them.   I've never thought of looking for bugs in nature with a UV light.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Black lights were popular in the sixties and seventies.  I have dim memories of hearing about them as a kid but I never saw one or had one.

This surprises me because it seemed like I couldn't avoid them growing up.  They showed up at parties, sock hops, skating rinks, and other events and venues.  People would get so excited when their white t-shirts glowed purple-blue, but I didn't prefer being bathed in that light.

21 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Then we moved to a room in the HQ and watched a slide show about interesting things in nature that change color under a UV light.

Some minerals in rocks react to UV lighting.  There's a rock and mineral museum in Portland--the Rice Museum--which has a room with UV lights.  It's a cool exhibit that I visit each time I go, but I'm just now realizing that I don't tend to linger there.  No black light mojo for me!

21 hours ago, cdrdash said:

NOTE: The scorpions were about 1/2 inches long!  Very tiny and almost impossible to spot without a UV light as they blend in with the dirt color.

Great photos of the scorpions; what an interesting experience!  A UV flashlight that I could point at others seems more up my alley.

• Like 7

Our local planetarium has a large exhibit that’s all black-light-lit.  It’s a tunnel you walk through.

And yes on the hotel room thing... that’s another organic item that leaves residue visible under UV light.

• Like 7

Not completely on topic, but the planetarium in Wellington (I think) in NZ has seats that tilt so far back that you, in effect, lie down to watch a film of the stars projected onto the ceiling. Plenty of people fell asleep :ph34r:

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I have a black light setting on my inspection flashlight.  Its amazing what kinds of things fluoresce.  We use them to detect rodent urine stains, hard water scale, and all kinds of organic food residue.  I've heard of some pretty gross things being found in hotel rooms with them.   I've never thought of looking for bugs in nature with a UV light.

Now all I can think of is the aftermath of the first scene in Basic Instinct:ph34r:

• Like 3

Just got the news from my ex, Charlotte, that one of the dogs, Astro, stopped eating a week ago and is being put down tomorrow.   Astro is 14 years old.  Charlotte took the dogs when we broke up.  I am not a dog person and so that was one of the easier parts of the break up.    I continue to give Charlotte money for the dogs care periodically.  I am going to pay for the shot that will put Astro down and for his cremation.  His ashes will be sprinkled under a community tree in Mountain View where the hospital puts dog's ashes.  Rest in peace Astro!

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

Not completely on topic, but the planetarium in Wellington (I think) in NZ has seats that tilt so far back that you, in effect, lie down to watch a film of the stars projected onto the ceiling. Plenty of people fell asleep :ph34r:

I've been in planetariums with seating like that, and yeah, good for inducing sleep. :P 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, daveb said:

I've been in planetariums with seating like that, and yeah, good for inducing sleep. :P 

Toronto had a planetarium that closed around 20 or so years ago. Went there on a school trip and a couple of rock music shows. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon being the soundtrack for one.

• Like 7

@cdrdash, sorry to hear about Astro.

Those planetaria where the image revolves are weird, they sort of mess with your senses. We had an AVEN meet at the Glasgow one last year. 

• Like 6

Sorry about Astro, @cdrdash!  I hope your ex is okay.

My planetarium used to have the fully-reclining seats but does not now.  The images still revolve and there are still rock laser shows.

• Like 5

Aw, @cdrdash sorry to hear about Astro. I lost custody of our Jack Russell, Emma, in my divorce. She was supposed to be my dog, but she always liked my ex better.

I sort of grew up in the Franklin Institute in Philly, and their planetarium had seats that set back, but not really fully reclined. I always had a crick in my neck.

The  fiber festival was so much fun. Spent all my money on lovely things. My sweater got second place to an amazingly well designed and made sweater. It was a cool design the person did themselves of Viking ships and runes using the featured breed of Finn sheep. I wish the festival put pictures of the winning entries on their website. I was very happy with second, and might have to step up my game for next year!

• Like 9

Welcome to the new folks! :cake: :)

Happy birthday, @faraday☘🎂

Hope your shoulder gets better soon, @Autumn Sunrise.

@cdrdash Sorry about Astro.

This morning mom was going outside to pick up the apples that had fallen off the tree from the extreme wind from last night. She came in excited and told me to look out the window. There were 4 deer in our yard eating the apples. I quick took some pictures before they took off. Mom thought we wouldn’t have any apples left, but we had a lot. So we peeled and cut them up to make apple sauce.

Finally got my backup running again. The tech guy deleted all but one system image which was taking up a lot of space on the external drive. I’m still confused about the backup though as it is different now.

I was having trouble with the VLC Media Player making my song files skip. Will have to wait for an update that might fix the problem. Also Windows Media Player had renamed some of my song files and displaying wrong pictures. But I was able to edit the words by clicking the title or other info fields and it turns into an edit box. For the pictures you can copy and paste an image right on the image box. Still don’t know what to do with the albums that are stuck in the unknown area and some tracks that got split from an album. At least songs play fine in there.

Yesterday got a lot of things done such as oil change on car, paying a bill, getting new checks ordered at the bank, getting my flu shot, working on bank statements, etc. This morning I got a new battery installed in my watch. The wind was so cold and strong this morning when I got out of my car to go into the store. Brrrr!

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

My sweater got second place to an amazingly well designed and made sweater. It was a cool design the person did themselves of Viking ships and runes using the featured breed of Finn sheep.

That Viking sweater sounds really cool. Kudos to you for getting 2nd place!

I got a $20 haircut today, but only paid $7 for it because I had a coupon. First haircut since getting my hair cut way too short around the beginning of Summer. it was an experiment, and I decided I didn't like it so short. Was tempted to let it grown even longer (but the coupon changed my mind; not to mention the bald spot :P ).

• Like 6

@Mocha Jo, congratulations 🎊 🎊

@Gentle Giant, misbehaving computers are a PITA. I had to clean all the junk files off my tablet the other day, and it's decided to delete my OneDrive account, fortunately I have it elsewhere, so I can retrieve everything. 

• Like 5

I don't know if my furnace is acting up (had it tested earlier this year and it was fine, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be having issues now). It's running, but even though the thermostat was set to 64F (trying to conserve energy) the house was at 60F when I got up this morning. It was warm enough yesterday that the house actually got up to 66 or 67F in the afternoon. I will keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get better I may see about getting someone in to look at it and do repairs/maintenance as needed. Sitting here with a jacket on right now. :) 

• Like 3

@daveb, do you have a remote room thermostat? If so, check it hasn't a flat battery, or hasn't stuck. If the system is running it, hopefully, is related to the this rather than the actual furnace 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, daveb said:

I don't know if my furnace is acting up (had it tested earlier this year and it was fine, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be having issues now). It's running, but even though the thermostat was set to 64F (trying to conserve energy) the house was at 60F when I got up this morning. It was warm enough yesterday that the house actually got up to 66 or 67F in the afternoon. I will keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get better I may see about getting someone in to look at it and do repairs/maintenance as needed. Sitting here with a jacket on right now. :) 

1 hour ago, daveb said:

Those things have a battery that needs changed now and then.

• Like 5

Hope you're inice and warm now @daveb..

I know some folk here live in Portland, Oregon. I've just been watching the latest upload by Steps of Two Foreigners and they live in Portland. This episode they just stayed in town and it looks lovely: colourful leaves, colourful buses, lovely cafes and streets... really pretty.

• Like 6