anyone past 50 on here?

Happy birthday @faraday☘ too.

Sleeping times--  I've never been on a long flight so I've never had jet lag  but even when I've had an overnight drive or something, I'm up early. The latest I've ever slept is probably 9 am, but, usually, I'm awake by 7 at the latest. I'm definitely a morning person. By mid afternoon, I'm drooping. By evening , I've had it ! I think if I came on one of  Cathy's all day hikes, I'd need to be carried home. 

• Like 7

One of the days leading up to my long sleep was a decent hike, starting at 1030. And not starting from home, so that was quite an early alarm. Five miles of walking through woodland and saturated farmland. Followed by lunch. Followed by a different 5 mile route, this time almost entirely of saturated farmland, back to the car. I needed some quality sofa-time after that.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I think if I came on one of  Cathy's all day hikes, I'd need to be carried home.

Me, too (but not because of falling asleep :lol: ).

• Like 5

Owing to driving I had a coffee at the end of our meal, where everyone else had a liqueur. As it's heading past bedtime and I don't feel tired I'm regretting that :P

• Like 8
7 hours ago, Tunhope said:

By mid afternoon, I'm drooping.

Conversely, I’m gearing up.  About 5:00 PM is my most productive time, which is highly inconvenient.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

saturated farmland

What comprises saturated farmland?  I’m picturing soggy...

• Like 5
7 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Correct. It means a mix of standing water, mud, having to take detours around impassable stretches. If it was 20°c warmer you could plant rice :P

And to reprise me earlier coffee comment. Bed 0200, lay awake until 0400, meow alarm at 0640

• Like 8
19 hours ago, ryn2 said:

17 hours ago, ms. mortricia said:

I was just about to ask the same question.

12 hours ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

Correct. It means a mix of standing water, mud, having to take detours around impassable stretches. If it was 20°c warmer you could plant rice :P

Pretty much what Sky said. Most of the fields in that area are grassed for livestock (mainly sheep but dairy cattle, too) grazing. It's rained rather a lot here recently so that land is just saturated and so excess water just sits on the top. Plenty of unintended pools and the ground is very squelchy to walk on. Add in about 50 stiles to clamber over and it was a good work out of a walk.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, ChristineN said:

I’m 60 why does age matter 

i imagine because in society it matters a lot 

isn’t asexuality outside of societal norms anyway

You're only as old as you feel.

• Like 6

That makes me about 100 at the moment.

• Like 8

@schadeaux, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, schadeaux said:

Just turned 53.  All people are beautiful.

Welcome, and happy belated birthday.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, ChristineN said:

Because I get some senior discounts now. :P 

Welcome and :cake: !

1 hour ago, schadeaux said:

Just turned 53.

Welcome and (birthday) :cake: !

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Add in about 50 stiles to clamber over and it was a good work out of a walk.

That sounds amazing!  Not sure I'm in good enough shape to do that for ten miles, but I'd love to try a shorter route.

10 hours ago, Tunhope said:

That makes me about 100 at the moment.

It would depend on which part of me you asked.  Ask my back and she would tell you she feels like a teenager,  Ask my knees and they would give you a much higher number, in a very creaky voice.

Happy birthday, @faraday☘!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtyb85CDzMbD77sfSXjVx

The "cake" part of this is real watermelon!!!!!

• Like 7
9 hours ago, ChristineN said:

It matters to me because it means that on this spaceship called Earth I have orbited the sun 62 times!  Huzzah!

In the grand scheme of things it matters not at all, but advancing age does mean that my individual spaceship is breaking down, and it will not be able to continue orbiting forever,

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, ms. mortricia said:

That sounds amazing!  Not sure I'm in good enough shape to do that for ten miles, but I'd love to try a shorter route.

I've read some of your posts. I think you'd be able to do it! But one of the beauties of England is the intricate network of footpath and rights of way inherited from the distant past. There's never a shortage of alternative routes over a range of distances.

• Like 6
51 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

But one of the beauties of England is the intricate network of footpath and rights of way inherited from the distant past. There's never a shortage of alternative routes over a range of distances.

I envy that and your rail network. Seems it isn't hard to find places for long or short rambles, with access by railway, too. At least that's been my experience in my all too few and all too brief visits there. Being able to get to places like Hadrian's Wall, Sutton Hoo, Warwick Castle, and so much more, via train and foot in doable mileage. :) 

Portland is good for its parks and paths, but it's not quite the same. They are scattered and not usually close to train service, and we don't have the same level of passenger train service. Still, it's much better than some places. :) 

• Like 6

Went on three hikes yesterday.  Guess yesterday was one of those days I would have worn some of you out!   I did a morning 6 mile hike, a mid afternoon 2 mile hike, and then a 4.5 mile night time hike (8 pm to 10 pm).   I thought the night hike was going to be from 6 to 8 pm and only be around 2 miles long but ... NOPE.   So I hiked 12.5 miles in all yesterday.  I did take a nice nap in my car from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. while waiting for the night hike.  The night hike was run by the park and started off with watching the sun set from the parking lot.  Then we moved to a room in the HQ and watched a slide show about interesting things in nature that change color under a UV light.  At 8 pm we set off with borrowed UV flashlights and got to see quite a few tiny scorpions glowing blue.  It was very cool.  I managed to get two pictures of the same scorpion but then gave up taking photos as the pace of the hike and the having to be careful to watch where I stepped in the dark required all my attention.  

Here are all the many pictures I took yesterday on the hikes:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/L6kAsd9YEb8uYbGDA

Welcome @ChristineN and @schadeaux.   

I try to not let age matter but  I confess that I run into more "kindred spirits" closer to my age than not.  I find a certain comfort in my peers who have similar experiences to me. 

NOTE: The scorpions were about 1/2 inches long!  Very tiny and almost impossible to spot without a UV light as they blend in with the dirt color.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, cdrdash said:

tiny scorpions glowing blue.  It was very cool.  I managed to get two pictures of the same scorpion but then gave up taking photos as the pace of the hike and the having to be careful to watch where I stepped in the dark required all my attention.

I went straight to the blue scorpion photos.  Awesome!

12.5 miles is a lot of hiking in one day  I don't think I could have kept up with you at that pace.

Welcome, @schadeaux

Welcome @christineN

• Like 6

By coincidence I watched a tv show (old series called The Saint), and the episode was about someone calling themself "the Scorpion". He also kept scorpions along with other "creepy crawlies" in aquarium/terrarium tanks in his house, and used one to try to kill somebody.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, daveb said:

By coincidence I watched a tv show (old series called The Saint), and the episode was about someone calling themself "the Scorpion". He also kept scorpions along with other "creepy crawlies" in aquarium/terrarium tanks in his house, and used one to try to kill somebody.

The leader did warn us not to touch the scorpions.  He also said their reaction to the ultraviolet light is to freeze so getting photos was not that hard.

• Like 7