anyone past 50 on here?

@will123happy birthday and many happy returns for the day 🎉 🎉 🎂 🎂 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, will123 said:

My birthday today and I turn 58.

Happy Birthday! Are you doing anything fun to celebrate?

Snowmobile_Birthday_Cake.jpg

• Like 7

I heard from another Avenite (too young for this thread) about the earthquake. She was 20 miles from the epicentre and said things shook but nothing fell over where she was. What really struck me was how casually she mused when 'a big one was coming - because we are overdue a big one. But life goes on'.

Having seen the devastation an earthquake can cause (in Christchurch New Zealand), I don't really understand how so many people can set up to live (and live calmly, it seems) in such an area. But maybe that's just the Brit talking - as we don't suffer any 'big' ones.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

I don't really understand how so many people can set up to live (and live calmly, it seems) in such an area

Many of us have lived in these areas our whole lives. Earthquakes are just something you deal with. Like hurricanes or tornadoes or floods or other such things in other places. We have been getting better and better at doing things like enacting and following construction codes that mitigate potential damage. If you limited human habitation to only those places not subject to natural disasters there would be very few places people could live. Everywhere, life goes on and people do what they can. :) 

• Like 8

Hi, all, popping in again! It is hard to keep up, so I am not even going to try too much- sorry. Happy Birthday @will123, hope it was a fun one.

Glad the earthquake wasn't terrible. CA just seems ill wished lately with fires and drought and earthquakes. I worry a bit about my daughter living out there. And I am glad to live in New England where there really aren't any regular natural disasters.

I spent a week in Cape May NJ visiting my father 2 weeks ago (one of the reasons that the habit of checking in with AVEN got a bit off). He is doing pretty well, all things considered. He did say a few times that he wished I could move down closer to him. As much as I love my father it isn't going to happen- I am ot going to live in NJ, even for a while! I love New England.

• Like 9
12 hours ago, daveb said:

Happy Birthday! Are you doing anything fun to celebrate?

Snowmobile_Birthday_Cake.jpg

Thanks for the cake Dave! Spent the sunny day driving from Rutland VT to Wells ME.

(Too bad the sled is an Arctic Cat LOL)

• Like 7

@onemammoth, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, onemammoth said:

Hi there, I an new to this. I am 58 yr. old

Welcome to AVEN! :) :cake: No worries we were all new to this at one point. Hope you find the answers or support you're looking for.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, onemammoth said:

Hi there, I an new to this. I am 58 yr. old

Welcome and :cake: ! 

• Like 5

I was "supposed" to drive about 3 hours to go to an event today through to Saturday, but we are having a long spell of rain (from now through to next Tuesday or Wednesday), and then I looked at the traffic map, and said nope. It wasn't something I really had to go to, but I will miss meeting up with some old colleagues. On the other hand, now I can stay and listen to the rain while sitting at home nice and cozy. :) 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Astraios said:

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie. I'm 53. 

Welcome and :cake: !

• Like 5
Mysearchbroughtme_here

Thanks daveb. Glad I found this thread, I was starting to feel like Methuselah's big brother!

• Like 8
1 hour ago, daveb said:

now I can stay and listen to the rain while sitting at home nice and cozy.

That sounds nicer than a three-hour drive in the rain.

• Like 5

@Astraios, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, daveb said:

I was "supposed" to drive about 3 hours to go to an event today through to Saturday,

Did you have to cancel lodgings?

We didn't get much rain in my area of Portland today.  All the recesses were outdoors, for which I'm always eternally grateful.

• Like 7

Welcome @onemammoth and @Astraios. This is a fast moving thread so jump right in (I can’t keep up!) but there is a lot of information on the site. 

Half the week done, yay. Saturday I do a bus trip to a huge fiber festival in Rhinebeck NY with bus loads of crazed fiber (usually) ladies. I am so looking forward to it. I also get to see how my sheep to sweater that I entered faired. I am looking forward to all the shopping and fleece and fair food! One more day of work to get through.

my spinning team contest went pretty welll, even though we don’t know the total results yet. I spun 2,280 yards, so I met my goal of spinning. Mike of yarn. Our team of 20 people spun 99,460 yards! Next time we are going to push for 100k!

• Like 9

An online friend of mine from

Philly and her sister are going to Rhinebeck for that festival as well!

I lived near there for a few years, long ago.  Really pretty this time of year, plus fiber arts...

• Like 7