anyone past 50 on here?

I pay some things by check and some (more) by credit card.  The dentist goes on the credit card for my HSA, until that runs out.

• Like 7
Gentle Giant

We went to do some errands and saw how much damage the storm did this morning. Lots of branches down. We picked up some branches and twigs from the yard when we got back home.

I pay with checks, credit card or cash. Never debit card, I only use that at the bank ATM. I don’t have any bills set up to take out of my bank account. I don’t really like it when I pay with a check it does something that allows them to take it out of my account electronically. I occasionally use PayPal online.

• Like 7

Yeah, I don’t use my debit card ever since it got skimmed, and I am not a fan of merchants that shred checks and process them as EFT.  Unfortunately some of them I can’t avoid.

I pretty much only tip for salon services in cash, though.

• Like 7

@Mz Terry, congratulations 🎊 🎊, hope it provides decades of enjoyment 

• Like 7

Most purchases are credit card. Some small ones cash. Maybe one cheque every couple of months.

• Like 7

I still pay most bills by check and make only one recurring payment by credit card. I used to pay cash for most small purchases but now do more of those by credit card to accumulate rewards points that I then forget I have. :P And I don’t have a debit card (never wanted one), only an ATM card; I suspect many people are unaware you can even get just an ATM card, because banks never seem to volunteer that.

• Like 9

Yeah, dunno if my bank offers an ATM-only card that is not a debit MasterCard.  At the time I wanted a debit card so I didn’t ask.

My current points card lets you pay with points at Amazon so I may actually use them.

• Like 6

I hate debit cards because people use them to make triffling purchases and then struggle to enter the PIN. I could've done the whole transaction faster using cash.

• Like 6

I prefer using cash...it makes me more aware of what I'm buying/spending rather than just using a debit or credit card. I do use a debit card for larger purchases, and (rarely) a credit card. The latter is tucked away in my dresser drawer, so I actually have to retrieve it to make a purchase. 

• Like 9
7 minutes ago, teatree said:

I prefer using cash...it makes me more aware of what I'm buying/spending rather than just using a debit or credit card. I do use a debit card for larger purchases, and (rarely) a credit card. The latter is tucked away in my dresser drawer, so I actually have to retrieve it to make a purchase. 

I have a friend that carries a large amount of cash and will use it while me making the same purchases (we travel together a couple of times a year) will use my credit card. I think the only time he doesnt use cash is buy fuel.

• Like 6

Made it to The Dalles, Oregon today.  It took me 12 hours to do the drive.  I stopped 3 times for breaks.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Central Oregon is beautiful.  I drove mostly on highway 97.  Tomorrow I do my early morning hike at Multnomah and Wahkeena falls and then drive to Kalispel, Montana.  Looking forward to it.  I like road trips.

• Like 12

In the USA do you have contactless payments for small transactions? Just hold your card (or if you have it set up) phone over the card reader, no PIN required. 

@cdrdash, enjoy the hike 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, teatree said:

I did this until my ex and I got married.  He spent at an amazing rate and could never remember where, so I had him switch to debit (and then credit, to protect the account) for recordkeeping purposes.  Now with so many purchases online I don’t see a point (for me) in switching back.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

In the USA do you have contactless payments for small transactions? Just hold your card (or if you have it set up) phone over the card reader, no PIN required.  

One of my credit cards is capable

of touchless payment, but my debit card is not.  The readers also accept applepay.

Where I live many retail establishments have touchless readers but I don’t know if they’re available on a widespread basis nationwide.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I've never seen that before.  If a card reader is that sensitive, how could it not penetrate your wallet and make unknown transactions without your approval?   Our biggest recent advancement was was moving away from the strip to swipe to the chip embedded at the end of your card, which is inserted.   I can always bypass the PIN using the chip.  I insist on a paper receipt for every transaction, no matter how small. 

• Like 9

You have a new avatar @Muledeer  Is it an animal that you see regularly? (What is it?) 

1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

I've never seen that before.  If a card reader is that sensitive, how could it not penetrate your wallet and make unknown transactions without your approval?   

I read that keeping a card within a foil liner prevents that happening. You can buy card-size foil wallets online.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I've never seen that before.  If a card reader is that sensitive, how could it not penetrate your wallet and make unknown transactions without your approval?   Our biggest recent advancement was was moving away from the strip to swipe to the chip embedded at the end of your card, which is inserted.   I can always bypass the PIN using the chip.  I insist on a paper receipt for every transaction, no matter how small. 

It's called Tap in Canada. I dont use it very often. 

@Muledeer I dont think the readers (same unit as you would enter your PIN) at are that sensitive. However (and the techies here can elaborate) I have seen on the news that the nogoodniks have access to RFID readers that if they are in very close proximity to you and your wallet they can get your personal info.

I know one person that took a hole punch to the little gold square on his credit card. I guess he has to swipe it to complete a transaction.

• Like 8

Forgot to mention this in the excitement of the two meet ups. Last Sunday night I texted a long time friend about a horse riding episode. She texted me back to say that she's coming back (she lives in British Columbia) to Ontario to visit her family (her folks live nearby). When I made the decision to come out to certain friends, she was on my 'list'. 

We spent a lot of time together in the 80s which led to a lot of rumours about our 'activities'. We were nothing more than just friends. 

I'm sure she wondered at one point why I never tried to initiate anything.

• Like 8

The general trend here (where I live; can’t speak for the US as a whole) is towards chip readers (the insert sort) and away from swipe.  Chips are harder to duplicate.  Vendors who accept credit cards must transition.  That’s separate from RFID “tap,” though, which is a proximity reader.  The card and the reader must be very close together.  People who skim via RFID also have to be very close, so it’s more like the old-school pickpockets’ “bump” technique (“oh, I’m sorry!”).

My employer accepts payment via credit card and switching all of our many doctor’s offices, etc., to chip from swipe is an expensive endeavor.

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, will123 said:

long time friend

Cool!  I didn’t realize, when you’ve talked about her before, that she didn’t live nearby.

• Like 6

Looks like today is supposed to be our one and only day in July that tops 90F. So I'm not complaining.

I prefer to use cash for most day to day purchases, especially for smaller amounts. I feel like I am more aware of my spending that way. And when I travel to other countries I like seeing the local currency and having some coins to take home afterwards. Also, with cash I don't have to worry about entering all transactions and balancing accounts. I do use a credit card for some things (usually required at hotels), such as larger purchases and online purchases.

• Like 9

I, too, like using the local currency when in other countries. As a running souvenir, at home I keep a small jar of foreign coins, including several in currencies that no longer exist (such as those predating the euro).

Today’s our heat-wave finale and it’s up to 101 F (38 C), a rarity around here. It’s stuffy in my home despite the air conditioning running. If I could use one word to describe my activity level this weekend, it would be lethargy-_- Thankfully tomorrow brings (some) relief. :)

• Like 8
11 hours ago, ryn2 said:

The general trend here (where I live; can’t speak for the US as a whole) is towards chip readers (the insert sort) and away from swipe.  Chips are harder to duplicate.  Vendors who accept credit cards must transition.  That’s separate from RFID “tap,” though, which is a proximity reader.  The card and the reader must be very close together.  People who skim via RFID also have to be very close, so it’s more like the old-school pickpockets’ “bump” technique (“oh, I’m sorry!”).

My employer accepts payment via credit card and switching all of our many doctor’s offices, etc., to chip from swipe is an expensive endeavor.

That a great description of what happens with the chips. Mind you 'skimming' cards (especially bank cards) using reworked readers is happens too. I've seen videos of where scammers have altered ABMs with their own card reader and a small video camera above the machine to record your PIN number :(

• Like 6

Yes, the altered machines issue has been a big one where I live for a long time.

While yesterday was the peak of our hear wave, today (which as I was hoping would be markedly cooler as I had a lot of shrubs to trim) is quite a bit hotter than originally predicted.

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

Had a nice time visiting my brother’s family today and good weather for the drive.

I’m still not feeling very well though. Still get the pain yet, but Tylenol does help. I also have a cough and have trouble talking. I sound like Mr. Haney from Green Acres! :lol: I hope this all clears on it’s own soon. I don’t want to have to go to the doctor.

When we got home Mom wanted to saw off some dead branches from our apple tree. I hope I don’t get sore now. I sawed off 3 and she did 1.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Cool!  I didn’t realize, when you’ve talked about her before, that she didn’t live nearby.

Before she moved west we were hanging out and chatting one day. I'm not sure who mentioned what first but she said her mother had asked her about about us getting married. I said that my father had asked the same thing of me. We both shook our heads and said, "Why does everyone except for ourselves feel that we would make a great couple?" We weren't in a committed relationship, didn't see each other on a regular basis, didn't see eye to eye on certain activities plus our friendship did have some major ups and downs.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

saw off some dead branches from our apple tree. 

This doesn’t sound like the best Sunday for someone whose arthritis is flaring up *and* has a respiratory thing.  :(

• Like 8
Autumn Sunrise

I hope you're feeling better now, @Gentle Giant!

The weather here has been quite bizarre lately. It's the middle of winter, and last week we had several mornings with sub-zero temperatures and frost. Today, it's so warm I'm wearing a sleeveless top! :o Still got my arm in a bulky sling :( but I can manage most things on my own.

• Like 9

I think it ended up not quite reaching 90F here. So if the 10 day forecast holds up we could have a July with zero 90F plus days. :) 

I expect we will have some warmer temps in August.

• Like 7

They're saying that we'll have a hot couple of days here, forecast for Tuesday is 33°c, 91°f, with a night minimum of 22°c, 72 °f, and 85-90% humidity, now that's a forecast I really hope proves inaccurate. 

@Gentle Giant, hope that arthritis flare-up settles down soon

@Autumn Sunrise, hope the recuperation continues

• Like 8