anyone past 50 on here?

12 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Glad you escaped harm, @Semisweet!!

Yeah, that kind of thing can be scary. Always makes me a bit nervous when I'm passing big trucks on rainy roads and all of the spray from them obscures my view for a bit. Glad you made it through okay!

I think we're supposed to have one more nice day before the heat comes in starting this weekend.

• Like 6

Only one more day of work before vacation but the pressure has been lifted that I was feeling.  It turns out the hardware device I was trying to test will be available all of August!  I had thought that it would be gone by the time I was back from vacation so I was stressing big time about trying to finish by tomorrow!  Now I don't have to finish :D and can relax tomorrow and do my normal work.  Phew.   I didn't realize how stressed I was about it till the pressure was removed!   It is lovely to feel relaxed again and now I'm starting to really look forward to my vacation and getting all packed up tomorrow night and hitting the road on Saturday!

• Like 10
14 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

vacation

Yay! I hope you have a great vacation! :) 

Yesterday I realized I had made an error in balancing my checkbook, so I went through and corrected it. Turns out I had more money than I thought. So today I addressed the issue by spending back down to around where I thought my balance was. :lol: 

• Like 10
33 minutes ago, daveb said:

Yesterday I realized I had made an error in balancing my checkbook

Errors in your favor are always a plus. :) I used to religiously balance my checkbook, but at some point it didn’t precisely reconcile and I couldn’t figure out why despite repeatedly recalculating. Now I just match up my running list of transactions with the one on my bank’s website and call it a day. :P

• Like 8
RakshaTheCat
1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

[...]I used to religiously balance my checkbook, [...]

Wait, people actually do that? Looking at online transactions list to check for anything suspicious is not enough? 😺

• Like 9
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Yeah, the irony was... during the winter we always made a huge star of life (the EMS symbol - blue asterisk-shaped “star” with a white single snake/staff in it) of lights on the side of our building.  So, replacements for dead bulbs and vaseline for the bulb stems to help weatherproof it.  :)

Right....... LOL

• Like 5
On 7/16/2019 at 7:36 PM, cdrdash said:

About half of my Canada pictures were private ( people who have requested not to be on social media ) but here is the half that is not private: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qeEpVVekKQAAREND7 .  Most of the pictures are from a 2 hour walk I took from our cottage to the log flume that is a creek that flows into the bay that was used many many years ago to transport logs to the bay.   This is one of my favorite walks in the whole wide world!!   

There is one picture of my hand with a spot of blood where a nasty biting fly got me :blink:  I also arrived home with about 7 mosquito bites.  They were outdoors and got in the cottage a little bit.  It was a bit maddening the first night when a single mosquito (or many different ones but not at the same time) kept making that awful whining sound right next to my ear.  I kept pulling the covers over my head to get away from it but then would get hot and creep out again.  Suffice to say that first night I slept badly.  Thankfully night two, the mosquitoes were gone.  Have no clue why but got a much better night's sleep!

Just got back from a day at work.  I have three more to go until vacation number 2.  I'll be at Glacier National Park for 7 days and on the road for 4 days.  Then I'll have a stay-cation for the last 5 days.  I'm really feeling burned out at work and am looking forward to getting away from it for 2 weeks!  I have been warned by the tour company that the wifi is bad in the lodges at Glacier National park and to not count on it.  So you may have a 7 day silence from me on this thread if they prove correct.

That part of the province is relatively unknown to me. When you mentioned log flume I thought you meant the slide in Algonquin Provincial Park at the logging museum.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Hope you feel better after a night’s sleep, @Gentle Giant.

@Skycaptain and @ryn2, thanks for the chuckles about the looks your incongruous purchases elicited. :P

Had a scary moment driving home from work this evening. There was some minor flooding after heavy rains, and a driver just ahead of me but in the adjacent lane sped so fast through a giant puddle that it sent a thick sheet of water over the front half of my car, completely blocking my view. I had to slam on the brakes since I couldn’t see where I was going. Thankfully no one was right behind me. 😓

You're lucky.

I remember hitting fog west of Niagara Falls a dozen or so years ago. Couldn't see and people are just flying past me on the freeway. Fortunately no accidents. This was a few months after a major freeway collision in western Ontario resulted in several deaths when a fogbank drifted over the highway. We had passed thru the same stretch of highway about eight hours earlier. 

@Gentle Giant I had a couple of afternoons this week where I felt off. Not sure what it was, but it definitely wasn't from over-exertion.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, daveb said:

Yeah, that kind of thing can be scary. Always makes me a bit nervous when I'm passing big trucks on rainy roads and all of the spray from them obscures my view for a bit.

A good reason to get past them as quick as possible. Besides truckers (the good ones) will tell you that they would prefer you not to 'linger' beside them.

• Like 7

A 'productive' couple of evenings in my shop. I finished TIG welding a little cooling tank (5" x 5" x 12") out of aluminum checkerplate. It's the first real welding project that I've made using aluminum. I've been stick welding since the 80s and MIG welding for a couple of years. TIG takes a lot of practice over the years. Watched a couple of welders at work and they made it look SOOO easy LOL.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, will123 said:

A good reason to get past them as quick as possible. Besides truckers (the good ones) will tell you that they would prefer you not to 'linger' beside them.

Yep, and I don't linger. I especially try not to be in their blind spot for their mirrors any longer than I can help.

• Like 7

Left-hand drive trucks combined with the British habit of sitting in lane 2 of motorways unaware that there is a world either side of you causes problems. Side-swipes are a daily event. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Marcin said:
9 hours ago, Semisweet said:

[...]I used to religiously balance my checkbook, [...]

Wait, people actually do that? Looking at online transactions list to check for anything suspicious is not enough? 😺

The operative words in my post were used to. :P  Speaking of suspicious transactions, a neighbor recently discovered several withdrawals on her checking account that she hadn’t made—thankfully she spotted them before inadvertently bouncing any payments. The bank made good on the stolen funds but who knows if they can ever track down the culprit in cases like this. 

• Like 7

I do still balance my checkbook, although I no longer spend time tracking down mismatches (I just correct my records to match the bank’s) unless I see something concerning.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I do still balance my checkbook, although I no longer spend time tracking down mismatches (I just correct my records to match the bank’s) unless I see something concerning.

I try to make sure I enter all transactions in my checkbook, and compare it periodically with my online statement. If it doesn't match up I do try to backtrack to see where the error lies. Usually I do find the error within the last couple of weeks or so. Sometimes it's an error in my math; sometimes it's just that I forgot to enter some payment (usually a digital payment, such as from shopping online). I just have a hard time letting it go without making some effort to track it down. :) 

• Like 5

I was that way for a while but if the list of transactions match it is almost always a math error.  So, I just check the list and have let go of the math.

• Like 5

I slowly gave up balancing my checkbook when I started writing very few checks, using my ATM card a lot more, having my paycheck direct deposited, and using the bank on-line bill paying program.  I would use my ATM card but not have my check registry with me to record that I took money out of the checking account.   Now I just check my bank accounts on line every 2 weeks to be sure the withdrawals and deposits are as I expect.  And my check registry is simply a list of the checks I have written I don't subtract them from a balance anymore.

However back in the day of no on-line banking I loved to balance my checkbook and I was very good about recording everything in the check registry.   I often thought I should have been an accountant based on how much I enjoyed balancing my checkbook and keeping track of my finances.

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

I wasn't sure whether cheques were even used much any more :lol: The only time I use my cheque book these days is when I pay my annual sub to my old school's Ex-Students' Association (they seem to have rather old-fashioned accounting methods). I was gob-smacked recently when I was paying the bills after my surgery, and found that the anaesthetist's preferred method of payment is by cheque! So much easier (and, I suspect, safer) to pay by direct bank transfer :D I've had my current cheque book for so long I can't remember when I got it!

• Like 4

I think the only cheque I've written this year was for a parking ticket :redface: that I got whilst making a delivery. 

We had a thunderstorm yesterday evening which dumped a welcome inch and a half, 40mm, of rain. The geraniums in the front garden were grateful. 

• Like 7

Handling fees is harder for me now.  Some pupils like to pay weekly, and I can't keep track of direct transfers for small sums each week.  I would spend all my free time checking my bank account online.  I request cash from weekly payers, which is a nightmare to pay into the bank now.  Some pupils pay per term with a cheque, some by direct transfer for a term or half term.  

My new neighbours had a noisy gathering last night which went on into the small hours. ( There was a storm here too, so I would have woken anyway.)  I am hoping that was their house warming and not going to be a regular event.

• Like 8

My storm came in the middle of the night like @Mz Terry 's so right now I could do with a sleep. Hoping you've caught up on sleep now @Gentle Giant and that you're feeling much better.

If teccy people wouldn't mind,  a query. I wrote a long post but @- ted it  to the wrong person ( very similar handle to the one I wanted). I couldn't delete the purple patch so I deleted the whole thing and started again. Did I have to do that? Thank you.

• Like 9

Big storm here too, but in the late afternoon.

Usually I can delete the purple patch (@‘d person) by clicking (tapping; I’m on a mobile device) just to the right of it and backspacing a few times.  Failing that you could select the rest of the text and copy/paste rather than retyping...

• Like 8
Gentle Giant

It bugs me when the bank statement is off and I have to find the error and correct it. I usually don’t have a problem with mine but I help mom with hers and there’s often something that is off. I make sure everything is checking in and nothing fishy going on and will put in the amount that the bank statement says is the balance if I am absolutely stumped about it. Neither of us use online banking and since someone activated and got into mine once, I had it locked. I was lucky they didn’t take anything out. Very scary!

I started to feel better yesterday morning, then the head pain came back. I was so cold the first day and then that night I sweat so much! Though it is hot here and may not be related to being ill. Having a cough now too. So far today my shooting pain has subsided, hopefully it won’t return.

I’ve had issues with the purple name thing too. I think I just back spaced to erase it, like @ryn2 said.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

It bugs me when the bank statement is off and I have to find the error and correct it.

I still do this if the difference is large or persistent, especially if it’s not in my favor, but now that it’s just me spending from the account I’ve gotten to where I usually just (roll my eyes at myself and) adjust my register for small ones.

I prefer the protection (and the points, no lie) of doing autopay via a credit card, rather than directly out of checking.  I do use online banking to check on my accounts and watch for issues, though).

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Handling fees is harder for me now.  Some pupils like to pay weekly, and I can't keep track of direct transfers for small sums each week.  I would spend all my free time checking my bank account online.  I request cash from weekly payers, which is a nightmare to pay into the bank now.  Some pupils pay per term with a cheque, some by direct transfer for a term or half term.  

My new neighbours had a noisy gathering last night which went on into the small hours. ( There was a storm here too, so I would have woken anyway.)  I am hoping that was their house warming and not going to be a regular event.

Release the hounds.

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

Well, my shooting pain is still happening. But at least not a lot so far. It’s hot in here and it’s been stormy this morning.

That’s neat you got your new violin and bow, @Mz Terry!

• Like 8

I do pay my bills by check. My dentist actually gives a discount when paying by check. My bank keeps bugging me with "tired of checks" promotions. Nope, I'm not tired of checks. :P 

1 hour ago, Mz Terry said:

I have my new violin and bow. :wub:

Congratulations! :) 

I guess the coolish weather is over and Summer is here. It's supposed to get into the upper 80s today and 90+ tomorrow. Too bad, but at least it stayed cool longer than previous years. 

• Like 8