anyone past 50 on here?

18 hours ago, AllThisTime said:

Thanks for all the interesting updates, everyone.

I second this.  What a great crew.  It's nice getting to know people better as we share more; hoping to meet as many of you as possible IRL someday.

I got my first sunburn of the trip yesterday, on my back.  DARN! 😡

• Like 8

It’s always frustrating how sunscreen is one extreme or the other!

• Like 4

The multiday heat wave affecting much of the US got under way in earnest today in my area, and already my air conditioner is working overtime just to maintain a lukewarm 79 degrees F (26 C). It’ll be more oppressive this weekend. Remind me next time I change residences to avoid places with big windows facing both directly east and directly west. :huh: Hope others of you affected by this wave stay comfortable.

• Like 9

Sorry about the heatwave.

It hasn't hit here so far. Mid 70s through Friday. Today is actually overcast, with a bit of wind when I was out, so it felt nice and cool. The 80s are coming though, starting Saturday. I haven't made quite as much use of my basement as I had expected, but unfortunately the dog days are on the way, so I will probably be spending more time down there soon.

• Like 6

We don’t start to get it until tomorrow, and the temperatures don’t get crazy until Friday.  I was hoping to mow my lawn tonite, while it’s still in the upper 70’s F (mid-20’s C) but it rained until an hour ago so I think it will be too wet.  Looks like I’m going to be doing it tomorrow evening (a less pleasant mid-80’s/low 30’s) instead.

The weekend will be markedly hotter.

• Like 5

Warm here in southern Ontario this week. Toronto and cities to the east along Lake Ontario had severe flooding due to a downburst this morning. Sunny where I live an hour or so to the north.

Exchanging texts with a friend in T.O. at lunch and she said she was glad she decided to work from home today. She was able to mitigate any major water damage. She has had water in her basement before after heavy rainfall.

• Like 7

The more I hear of the extreme temperature variations a lot of you have to live with, the happier I am to be living in middle-England where the extremes are rarely that low or that high. Winter does freeze occasionally and Summer can be hot, but a 'normal' variation would be within -1 to 30C (30 to 85F).

• Like 8

The normal temperature range where I live is about 105F (from -10F/-23C to 95F/35C), but the last 5F on either end is relatively rare (just a couple of days per year).  Several days in a row above 90F is (thankfully, to me) really uncommon.

Compared to yours most of our extra variation is on the colder end.  That suits me fine.  :)

• Like 7

Comparatively speaking, my area doesn’t get a lot of the extreme weather that many other places experience, so I can’t really complain (though sometimes I still do :)). 

• Like 9
41 minutes ago, yyy said:

Here in NYC  the temperature is expected to get into the 100s by the weekend.

And there is a Triathlon  scheduled for Saturday July 20 (that I know of). 

I’m up near Lake Ontario and we’re “only” going for upper 90’s. I’ve been in NYC when it’s over 100F...  no fun!!

• Like 6
42 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Comparatively speaking, my area doesn’t get a lot of the extreme weather that many other places experience, so I can’t really complain (though sometimes I still do :)). 

Same.  We get a lot of snow but normally a bit at a time.

• Like 5

It's funny, so far our Summer has been mostly cooler than the last couple of years. I think August tends to be our hottest month. Judging by my electric bill when the AC makes it ramp up some months. We did have a few 90F+ days in May, and I won't be surprised to see more of that later this month and/or into August. Winters are generally pretty mild, with the occasional snow that rarely lasts long. Non-tropical coastal climates for the win! :D 

• Like 5

Southern England has been the same. Last winter was much milder than usual, and so far this summer has been cooler, typically 20-25°c, rather than 23-30°c as is the norm, never mind last summer where it was 30°+ for weeks on end 

• Like 7

I'm amazed at some of those temperatures. I hope you all manage to keep cool. I think  @Nick2  must live inside an oven not a house/ flat. The hottest recorded temperatures in England are often those for Gravesend as it's downwind from London and gets all that extra urban heat. I live just downwind from Gravesend so I benefit, or not, depending on viewpoint. I don't think I'd ever go back north to live (northern England, that is - Lancashire) as it really is warmer here in the south east and drier too usually. I notice the difference in the fields. Different things grow here.

• Like 8
12 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

I don't think I'd ever go back north to live (northern England, that is - Lancashire) as it really is warmer here in the south east and drier too usually.

I, on the other hand, consider “warmer here” a downside.  :)

• Like 6

I just got a rather odd look in the supermarket by buying 96 pouches of catfood, 36 bottles of beer and one meal :P:P

The beer was on promotion and will last a long time, catfood is because mine get through it by the kilotonne, and the meal was a change from frozen moussaka 

• Like 10

The beer and catfood without a meal would be more concerning.

When I was still working on the ambulance, I found that 100 replacement outdoor holiday light bulbs (in packs of four, some blue and some white) and a tub of vaseline gets one a few odd looks as well.

• Like 9

Self-checkout for the win. :P 

But seriously, if people paid attention to what I buy I imagine I'd get some odd looks, too. But so what. :) 

• Like 6

29* C (84* F) here in central Ontario according to the dash display in my truck..

• Like 5
55 minutes ago, will123 said:

29* C (84* F) here in central Ontario according to the dash display in my truck..

About the same here...

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, daveb said:

Self-checkout for the win.

This was in the early 1990s, so that wasn’t even an option!

Plus, tax-exempt certificate...

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

I had a rough day at work because I don’t feel well. My arthritis is acting up, having shooting head and neck pain and feeling so tired, achey and washed out. Took a couple tylenols at noon, which seemed to help some. But I still wanted to go to bed! I did lay down for a while after work when I got home. This is one time I don’t mind cutting hours. I’ll probably go to bed early tonight.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Gentle Giant said:

I had a rough day at work because I don’t feel well. My arthritis is acting up, having shooting head and neck pain and feeling so tired, achey and washed out. Took a couple tylenols at noon, which seemed to help some. But I still wanted to go to bed! I did lay down for a while after work when I got home. This is one time I don’t mind cutting hours. I’ll probably go to bed early tonight.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 7
2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

The beer and catfood without a meal would be more concerning.

When I was still working on the ambulance, I found that 100 replacement outdoor holiday light bulbs (in packs of four, some blue and some white) and a tub of vaseline gets one a few odd looks as well.

Ho, Ho, Ho...sounds like you will be on Santa's bad list...or is that good list?

• Like 6

Hope you feel better after a night’s sleep, @Gentle Giant.

@Skycaptain and @ryn2, thanks for the chuckles about the looks your incongruous purchases elicited. :P

Had a scary moment driving home from work this evening. There was some minor flooding after heavy rains, and a driver just ahead of me but in the adjacent lane sped so fast through a giant puddle that it sent a thick sheet of water over the front half of my car, completely blocking my view. I had to slam on the brakes since I couldn’t see where I was going. Thankfully no one was right behind me. 😓

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

Ho, Ho, Ho...sounds like you will be on Santa's bad list...or is that good list?

Yeah, the irony was... during the winter we always made a huge star of life (the EMS symbol - blue asterisk-shaped “star” with a white single snake/staff in it) of lights on the side of our building.  So, replacements for dead bulbs and vaseline for the bulb stems to help weatherproof it.  :)

• Like 8