anyone past 50 on here?

Whilst we're on the subject of eyes, everyone don't forget to have a glaucoma check. Having had my grandpa nearly blinded by this, and the test is non-invasive and simple, get it checked 

• Like 8
39 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

don't forget to have a glaucoma check

I get this every year as part of my routine eye exam...

• Like 5

Wow, @pickles mcgee- glad you are ok, and Dan is a wonderful driver. That is scary!

@AllThisTime- I hope Chance turned up for a check up and that he is fine.

yay for a day off work tomorrow to get things done, even if it will be raining. The lawn really needs mowing, maybe it will dry out by the weekend...

• Like 6
8 hours ago, ryn2 said:

@cdrdash I hope you’re on the mend and not feeling worse as time goes on.

Thanks for asking Ryn2.  I'm doing OK.  Not getting worse.   I have been icing it and taking ibuprofen and am usually not in pain when I'm just sitting around or walking.   Mostly it is only painful when I have to get up and down from sitting or laying down and when I lift things or open a heavy door with my left hand (I'm getting good at reaching for doors with my right arm after the past 24 hours or so!).  

Cathy

• Like 11
Gentle Giant

I just had my annual eye check up. No glaucoma, no macular degeneration, no cataracts. Don't need to change prescription. I do have anterior basement membrane dystrophy of the cornea, which is very irritating and can be painful, especially when waking up. It can cause some blurriness and distortion in vision. I do use eye drops to help relieve it. Doctor recommends natural tears. I worry about vision problems. I can deal with my hearing loss, vision loss would be devastating.

• Like 12

I had a detached retina when I was 27 years old and caught it soon enough to fix it and not lose vision.  Although it did make my left eye more near sighted but still correctable to 20/20 with glasses (a thickish lense though!).   Ever since then I have been fanatic about getting my eyes examined once a year!  Also my Dad had glaucoma and when my eye doctor saw that history he was especially careful to check me for glaucoma.  Knock on wood, I am still glaucoma free and my retina has remained firmly attached!!

• Like 11
1 minute ago, Gentle Giant said:

@cdrdash That is so scary! Thank goodness they could fix your retina. Did you have an injury that caused the detachment?

No, I did not have an injury.  I was just laying in bed on a lazy Sunday morning and was watching floaters and they disappeared which was odd.  So I started testing my vision and discovered there was a spot of peripheral vision that was gone.  Although strangely I was not panicked.  I called the eye doctor and they gave me an appointment mid morning.  I should have realized something might be serious when I got an appointment so soon but I still wasn't worried.  I went to the appointment and they found that the retina in my left eye was detached and was weeks away from detaching from the macula which means losing vision.  I had emergency surgery that night to fix it in the knick of time!  I was on disability for the next 8 weeks of recovery.  It was a bit of luck that I noticed it when I did. The doctor could not tell me why it happened.  He just said that it just happens to some people. It was my first and only time I have been in a hospital over night.  They fixed it with cryosurgery.  They carefully moved the retina back in place and then used a stream of cold to create scar tissue to attach it.  They put me under so I was not awake while this was done!

• Like 13

@cdrdash, that was a close thing. Note to people, a sudden increase in floaters, those things you see which are inside the eye, is an indication that something isn't right 

I just harvested my first two courgettes, or more accurately one courgette and a baby marrow, with six more on the way. Very good as I've only two plants 

• Like 12
Custard Cream
48 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

I just harvested my first two courgettes, or more accurately one courgette and a baby marrow, with six more on the way. Very good as I've only two plants 

Sounds good. It must be satisfying to harvest your own crops.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@cdrdash, that was a close thing. Note to people, a sudden increase in floaters, those things you see which are inside the eye, is an indication that something isn't right 

X200!

I was told that many years ago by my optometrist during my biannual visit.

• Like 8

Yep, the three real signs/symptoms of non-traumatic eye emergencies are:

* sudden, curtain-like, painless loss of vision in one eye

* sudden or significant increase in floaters

* visible blood in the colored part of the eye (rather than the white part)

• Like 10
Lostcoastlost

OK
My head is spinning here.  For ten years or so asexuals have been coming here to chat?
WTF?
I have lived my whole life (57) and not met another.

Anyone want to talk (chat)?

• Like 12

@Lostcoastlost, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂.

This is one of the chattiest threads here, and the subject matter is rather varied, but slightly more serious than in "Chatterbox" threads 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Lostcoastlost said:

here

Welcome and :cake: !

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Lostcoastlost said:

OK
My head is spinning here.  For ten years or so asexuals have been coming here to chat?
WTF?
I have lived my whole life (57) and not met another.

Anyone want to talk (chat)?

Welcome to AVEN! :) I'm 57 as well. I found out about asexuality (and AVEN) when I was 44. I checked out the forum and saw that it confirmed what I read in a newspaper article.

It wasn't until two years ago that I went looking for AVEN and signed up. The rest as they say is history.

• Like 9

To add to my previous post. Other than two asexuals I met thru AVEN, I've never crossed paths with another asexual.

That being said, when I came out to a friend earlier this year, she pondered after I explained to her asexuality and why I identified as asexual, if that could explain why a girl friend of her's was indifferent to sex.

My friend had never heard of asexuality but was LGBT 'positive' since a niece of hers was a lesbian.

• Like 11
Custard Cream

Welcome, @Lostcoastlost. I joined AVEN in January and have already met loads of aces, both through meet ups and one-to-ones with friends I have made here. It's been great fun!

• Like 9
1 hour ago, will123 said:

I've never crossed paths with another asexual.

I'm going to be picky here and say that I bet you have. But one or both of you just didn't identify as such at the time, or it didn't come up in conversation (why on earth would it?). When I think back to people I've known over my life, there are plenty of them who could have been asexual.

@Lostcoastlost Welcome! I was even older (62-ish) when I found myself and this place. It's been a revelation and I too have made many friends here who I've met in real life.

• Like 10

Welcome @Lostcoastlost! I was 60 when I discovered AVEN and it was an eye opener. I hang out on the over 50 thread here since it is the most active, and 62 is “over 50”.

• Like 10
35 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I'm going to be picky here and say that I bet you have. But one or both of you just didn't identify as such at the time, or it didn't come up in conversation (why on earth would it?). When I think back to people I've known over my life, there are plenty of them who could have been asexual.

Dont worry about being picky. You are probably right. I should've said two people that identified publicly as asexual.

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

Welcome, @Lostcoastlost:cake: :)

I had my work performance evaluation today and it was better than I was expecting. Very happy about that!

I just watched the Shaun the Sheep Movie tonight. So cute and funny. Loved it!

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

I had my work performance evaluation today and it was better than I was expecting. Very happy about that!

Nice. Congratulations! (does it come with a raise?) :) 

2 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

I just watched the Shaun the Sheep Movie tonight. So cute and funny. Loved it!

:D Hard to go wrong with Aardman, eh? :) 

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

Oooh, nice!  Congratulations!

• Like 7
Gentle Giant

@daveb No raise at this time but we did get raises months ago.

I plan to get more Shaun the Sheep, Wallace and Gromit and other Aardman videos later.

• Like 6
Dot Alexander

I don’t know what I’m doing but here goes.   I just turned 76 and moved to a new state.  Im hoping maybe I could find friends on here.   I enjoy  animals, friends, being outdoors, movies, swimming the normal stuff .   Will  anxiously wait for a reply. 

Dorothy

• Like 7

@Dot Alexander, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Dot Alexander said:

Im hoping maybe I could find friends on here.   I enjoy  animals, friends, being outdoors, movies, swimming the normal stuff .

Welcome, Dot!  You’ve definitely found a good thread for talking about these topics!

• Like 8