anyone past 50 on here?

1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

Should I throw it away?

Not if having it there is a comfort.

• Like 7

@gingerb, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

Definition of a silly thing to do. I visited mum with my sister and nephew today, as yesterday was her birthday. She lives 250 miles away. Shortly after I get home she phones me to say that I've left my camera on her dining table, doh :P

• Like 9
Flowerlady67
20 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

Good to see you, @Autumn Sunrise!

Welcome, @Flowerlady67. Your user name makes me think of the song The Flower Lady by Peter and Gordon.

I watched the Wallace and Gromit DVD that has A Grand Day Out, A Close Shave and The Wrong Trousers, plus Cracking Contraptions. I loved seeing it! Especially A Close Shave and The Wrong Trousers. I also got some other DVDs lined up to watch, Flushed Away and Small Foot. I also want to get Friday the 13th The Series later.

I am a florist so that’s why I use that name 

• Like 8
On 6/13/2019 at 8:50 PM, ryn2 said:

Bad news on my kitty, unfortunately.  I’m having her euthanized tomorrow.  I’m very sad.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty :(  It is very hard to see them fail, especially when they aren't very old.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, gingerb said:

I'm 72. I just posted (I think) in the "Welcome" forum.

Welcome!

• Like 5
Flowerlady67
19 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Condolences on the loss of your kitty, @ryn2. And my sympathies go out to @Mocha Jo on your mother’s passing and to @pickles mcgee on the tragic death of your daughter’s friend’s brother.

A relative of mine recently had to euthanize their cat who was over 20. This relative makes a lot of extended business trips and for many years took the cat along on most of them, so she’d certainly experienced lots of adventure in her two decades.

@Flowerlady67, welcome and :cake: — hope you enjoy the conversation and kinship here.

Thanks so much!

• Like 5
AllThisTime
On 6/14/2019 at 4:51 PM, ryn2 said:

I wish there was a way to tell them.

@ryn2 I'm so very sorry to hear that you've had to say goodbye to a long time friend. They become so integral to our lives, don't they?  They do sense the change without their companion and they sense your emotions as well. 

Because old cats are on my mind, I've got a big grey and white dude, Chance, and we calculated that he is 16. He got beat up today by the orange stray that is hanging out. Chance was always the alpha but he is old and has cataracts and who knows how he will fare after this fight.

Your feline friend was lucky to have you for as long as it did.  So much love. 

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty :(  It is very hard to see them fail, especially when they aren't very old.

Thanks!  And agreed... I wasn’t ready yet.

• Like 6
50 minutes ago, AllThisTime said:

I've got a big grey and white dude, Chance, and we calculated that he is 16. He got beat up today by the orange stray that is hanging out. Chance was always the alpha but he is old and has cataracts and who knows how he will fare after this fight.

Aw, poor guy.  I hope he is okay.  And thank you...

I went out for a while earlier and her sister met me at the door clearly hoping I had brought her back.  :(

• Like 8

Nice 8.5 mile hike at Blair Ranch.   Both Sharon and I were pretty tired at the end.  It was a very exposed hike and a slight bit on the hot side.   It was beautiful and fun to hike at a place that is new to us and not open to the public usually.   Blair Ranch Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UJcLTPsjJSJhrALK6

• Like 8

Nice pics as usual! I like seeing some California poppies and other wild flowers still out.

Why is the place not usually open to the public? Is it private property or some sort of reserve or something?

The house painters finished the main color on my house today. They said they'd be back tomorrow to do the trim and a couple of doors, which means I'll have to be around so the doors and some windows can be left open while the paint dries. The good thing is the weather has been reasonable here, not too hot to leave things open.

• Like 8

@cdrdash Splendid photos!  I love how you have arranged them in the photo album.  (or, maybe google just does that now?)

• Like 6

@Muledeer google photos just orders them in the order I took them on the hike so I did not make the arrangement.

@daveb the park is home to endangered species and I guess if they allowed the public to come on the land without control their habitat would not be maintained.  Here is the blurb:

"Blair Ranch is an 847-acre portion of Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve that was protected in 2008. The property features a mosaic of grasslands and oak woodlands, with beautiful views of the eastern Santa Cruz Mountains. It’s natural communities support an abundance of rare plants and animals including golden eagles, western pond turtles, and Bay checkerspot butterflies. Blair Ranch also boasts serpentine grasslands, a unique type of habitat with plants and animals that are only found there."

• Like 11

@cdrdash, great photos. It's a good idea to have areas with restricted access occasionally, especially if near cities.

@daveb,bet you'll be glad not to be stumbling over contractors all day 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, cdrdash said:

the park is home to endangered species

Ah, cool. Yep, it's good to have protected habitat free from too much human footprint. :)

1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

bet you'll be glad not to be stumbling over contractors all day 

You would win that bet. I do still need to call a contractor for foundation repair, but I plan to do that sometime later in the week, after a bit of a break. :)

• Like 6
Custard Cream

I'm hurting right now. My husband wants to seek sex elsewhere, with someone who wants it as much as he does. I know I have no right to deny him, but it's painful, and I'm scared he will become emotionally attached.

• Like 8

That was quick, @daveb!  My painter doesn’t start for a few weeks (they’re just here power-washing... hopefully just one more day of that) but has estimated 9 days to prep and paint.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, cdrdash said:

@daveb the park is home to endangered species and if I guess if they allowed the public to come on the land without control their habitat would not be maintained. 

a unique type of habitat with plants and animals that are only found there."

I live on the edge of a National Forrest, with a broad diversity of mountain and rangeland flora and fauna.  

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

It's a good idea to have areas with restricted access occasionally, especially if near cities.

People have a way of messing things up when it comes to nature.

7 hours ago, daveb said:

Ah, cool. Yep, it's good to have protected habitat free from too much human footprint. :)

I am passionate about preserving nature and habitat for the wildlife.  I consider the 75 acres where I live to be a nature preserve as well, with restricted access to everyone.  I try not to scar the landscape with roads and buildings and even unnecessary fences that will be around after I'm gone.  It is my lifetime goal to establish a conservation easement, which prohibits or limits development of the land "in perpetuity".

The Bear River is raging with runoff from the mountain snow pack.  I took Elsa to the river last night.  While I practiced yoga in the golden evening sunshine, Elsa played and bathed in a small pool of water (out of the main river channel) with a sandy beach.  She dug into the sand, rolled around in it, buried her head in it like an ostrich, and rolled around in the water as well.   She hasn't enjoyed playing in the water that much since she was a puppy.  She's paying for it today, and can barely get up due to the arthritis.   

• Like 11
15 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

It is my lifetime goal to establish a conservation easement, which prohibits or limits development of the land "in perpetuity".

That’s a great idea.

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

She's paying for it today, and can barely get up due to the arthritis.

Aww, poor boo.  I hope she rests up and feels better.

• Like 8

Hello everyone. Pages of posts to catch up on! Looking forward to reading people's news and hello to anyone who joined in the last couple of weeks. It has been lovely not to have contact with the internet or mobile signals (I mean that in the nicest way of course) .

Here are some photos .Mainly of Arkengarthdale off Swaledale. The sheep wouldn't keep still so I photographed a beer mat. One photo is a Swaledale lamb by the river Swale though. One photo hides a rooster (a bit like @Tja s pigeon) I spent ages crawling over lead .mining spoil tips and a couple of photos are mining ruins. I absolutely love the bleakness . One photo is the farmhouse I Stayed at. Oh and some dry stone walls.

It rained and rained and rained but it is still my favourite part of England. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6WLztmBJzTDBBj54A

• Like 12
AllThisTime
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

I am passionate about preserving nature and habitat for the wildlife.  I consider the 75 acres where I live to be a nature preserve as well, with restricted access to everyone.  I try not to scar the landscape with roads and buildings and even unnecessary fences that will be around after I'm gone.  It is my lifetime goal to establish a conservation easement, which prohibits or limits development of the land "in perpetuity".

Thank you @Muledeer. It is good to know that there are people like you who are doing this. It gives me hope!

• Like 9
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

That was quick, @daveb!  My painter doesn’t start for a few weeks (they’re just here power-washing... hopefully just one more day of that) but has estimated 9 days to prep and paint.

They are being quick. He was able to fit me in quicker because another client went out of town. The painter is just getting his business started, too, so probably eager to show he can do it well.

2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I am passionate about preserving nature and habitat for the wildlife.

That's really cool. I love your plan to establish a conservation easement. And in spite of having to pay for it it sounds like Elsa had a great time at the river. :) 

52 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

Here are some photos

Cool pics! I love that landscape. Oh, yeah, the dry stone walls that run all over the countryside in that area, and the fields of sheep. So iconic. :) 

• Like 8

I should have said that there are some more photos on the nature and hiking thread. 

• Like 11
7 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I, too, admire and appreciate your passion for and prioritizing of preservation and conservation. As someone living in an urban area, I find it disheartening that so many people see every pocket of nature as a development opportunity, rather than as something to be protected and cherished. :(

On a more optimistic note, we had some exchanges here a few weeks back about how reports of the death of physical books were premature. I found support for that this past week, when I spent a day on jury duty. While sitting around waiting for several hours alongside dozens of other prospective jurors, I noticed that quite a few people, many much younger than me, were reading actual books. So there’s hope yet! :)

• Like 10