anyone past 50 on here?

I hope that those of you (Americans) for whom Monday is a work holiday have a pleasant long weekend. For lots of folks in my area (though not for me), this marks the official seasonal start of weekend treks to the Atlantic shore beaches, the nearest of which are only about an hour’s drive away. For those of us staying put, it should be more peaceful than usual, which I look forward to. :)

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Does anyone know a way to persuade cats to be a bit more territorial, and stop inviting friends to come over and join in a purr-pile? 

I don't know about that, but how about those collar activated pet doors, so only your cats can use the door?

4 hours ago, teatree said:

I had never heard of trona and had to look it up!

I think I mentioned before, there is a town in southern California called Trona. Can't remember if I ever went to it, but I know I have seen the road sign for it. At the time I didn't know the derivation of the town name.

47 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

For those of us staying put, it should be more peaceful than usual, which I look forward to. :)

Sounds good. :) 

I'm just hoping for a late start (and early end) to the Summer heat. At least this year I will have my cooler basement to retreat to.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I don't have to go into the mines but I usually request a mine tour because I find it very interesting and somewhat of an adventure, kind of like flying in small airplanes. 

I've never flown in a small plane , but I love mines especially if I'm  on a  guided tour. When I was in Eire a few years ago, I was able to visit the Tara Mine which is, I think, the largest zinc and lead mine in Europe. The deeper I went, the hotter it became. Could really feel the difference. I really love Brightling Mine too. It's a gypsum mine here in SE  England. I don't think that either of those two is open to the public normally. I went with a geology group.

I'm going to be offline soon for a couple of weeks because where I'm heading in Yorkshire has little ,if any, signal. So, I hope everyone keeps well and I shall try to come back with some great photos. 

• Like 10

I realized it has been over a month since I last checked in. As I mentioned in my last post, I had been dragging for quite some time now and had no energy. I had looked at my recent blood test results and I was somewhat concerned that one result seemed to indicate macrocytic anemia. My doctors PA returned my request for more information and said that all of my test results indicated everything normal and that my slightly enlarged red blood cells could be normal for me. Well I had already purchased B12 and Folic Acid supplements and was not going to throw them out so I continued taking them in the evening. Not expecting anything  but figured I would use them up. So a month later to this past Monday, I woke up but felt a little different. I was more alert and got my stuff together and headed off the office not feeling as drowsy as usual. Tuesday morning I was back to feeling a bit drained again. Figured Monday was a one off day. But on Thursday, I again woke up and was more alert (the previous two evening I had done 22 mile bike rides). Same thing today. I've been active quite a bit around the house and not dragging around. More so than I have been in a while.

When I first looked up macrocytic anemia and the use of B12 and Folic Acid supplements, it was stated that it takes time for them to work on the order of one to three months. I am crossing my fingers that I am in the beginning stages of getting my energy back. The PA had mentioned in passing that one reason for low B12 uptake could be malabsorption due to intestinal issues. I have had bouts of IBS occasionally so it is very possible IMHO that I am not able to absorb enough B12 and Folic Acid in normal food quantities. The extra strength B12 and Folic Acid doses are providing enough opportunity for my body to get what it needs without struggling.  I am going to keep doing what I am doing and hope things continue to get better.

I wanted to share this picture of a flag I purchased online from a vendor on AliExpress. I received it this past Monday but today was the first chance I had to open the package to spread it out:

ACE+Flag.JPG

It cost me a "whopping" USD$2 including shipping (I had a USD$1 off coupon). It measures 90cm x 150cm and is made of nylon. In case anyone is interested, the product page is at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/johnin-hanging-90-150cm-LGBTQIA-Ace-Community-nonsexuality-Asexuality-asexual-pride-Flag-For-Decoration/32909867853.html.  Not sure when/if I'll fly it but it is something fun to have around.

• Like 11
Skycaptain

@daveb, I have a microchip activated catflap, however my attempts at getting the furry terrorists to stay still for long enough to register have resulted in serious clawings and kitties running upstairs at high speed 

@Tunhope, enjoy the holiday

@Techie, good to hear from you again. Hopefully a B-vitamin supplement is an easy cure. Some medications affect the B-vitamin metabolism, Metformin is a good example of this 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Tunhope said:

try to come back with some great photos. 

You better! (joking)

Sounds like fun. :) 

53 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

I have a microchip activated catflap, however my attempts at getting the furry terrorists to stay still for long enough to register have resulted in serious clawings and kitties running upstairs at high speed 

Ah, yeah. I could see how that could be the case. :P 

1 hour ago, Techie said:

I am going to keep doing what I am doing and hope things continue to get better.

Good to hear from you and good luck!

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

@Skycaptain Sorry you have to work all 3 days this weekend.

It happens to be my usual weekend off and I have off Memorial day. Mom, my brother, nephew and I are going to visit my Dad’s grave tomorrow and also visit relatives living in the area.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, working or not.

• Like 7

Just got in from  12 1/2 hour drive, from Indiana to New Jersey.

Truck wouldn't be ready until Tuesday, so, got a rental, and drove home.

House looks okay. Not happy with some things, but, too tired to care.

Have a great holiday weekend! (For those who celebrate it):)

• Like 8
Custard Cream
4 minutes ago, Kim4813 said:

I'm in my 50's and just now realizing there's a name for what I feel. 

Hello Kim4813! Welcome! 🍰🍰🍰

• Like 4
Skycaptain

@Kim4813, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

@Tja, does that mean a 12 1/2 hour drive to pick yours up again, and another 12 1/2

Hour return? :mad:, basically a whole working week wasted 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Kim4813 said:

Welcome to AVEN!🍰 Hopefully being here makes that realisation easier.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Tja said:

Not happy with some things, but, too tired to care.

Hopefully they can correct what needs correcting.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Kim4813 said:

Welcome!!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Kim4813 said:

Welcome! I was 51 (turn 57 (!!!!) next month) when I finally learned there was an orientation and name for me too.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Tja, does that mean a 12 1/2 hour drive to pick yours up again, and another 12 1/2

Hour return? :mad:, basically a whole working week wasted

I'm not sure what they'll do with the unit. I'm supposed to leave out, on Monday, for another job, in a different unit.

Welcome, New People! 🍓🍎🍉

• Like 5

Was it a company vehicle, @Tja, not yours personally?  That at least makes it someone else’s problem...

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Was it a company vehicle, @Tja, not yours personally?  That at least makes it someone else’s problem...

Company unit. I wouldn't have driven my personal vehicle that far, yet.

It's a 2011 pickup truck, with less than 30,000 miles on it. Not bad, for 8 years old.:D

Still have 2 years, and 70,000+ miles, on it's bumper to bumper warranty.;)

Drives the dealership crazy when I bring it in for service.

At this low mileage, they can get, almost, the same price I paid for it, if I were to trade it in.:P *I don't let them forget it*

• Like 4

Work that warranty!  I have fairly low miles (54k on a 2011) but my warranty was only 5 years so the honeymoon is long over.

• Like 4

I just passed 19,000 on my 2011 Subaru (did more driving with my recent guest :) ).

We are having a wonderful rainy afternoon here! :D 

Yesterday I tried to go to REI (store that sells outdoor stuff, like hiking and camping gear, clothing and equipment and such). But as soon as I walked in the front door I saw there was a loooong line at the checkout counter so I turned right around and left. :P 

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, daveb said:

Yesterday I tried to go to REI (store that sells outdoor stuff, like hiking and camping gear, clothing and equipment and such). But as soon as I walked in the front door I saw there was a loooong line at the checkout counter so I turned right around and left. :P 

I had never heard of them until a few weeks ago when an item I was looking for turns out to be carried by them. There is a store several miles from me. I was going to go to the store but luckily they have an inventory check and this item is not stocked in any of their stores and has to be ordered. Then I found out Amazon resells it for the exact same price and they delivery free under Prime. So I ordered from Amazon and saved a trip to the store.

• Like 6

It's a co-op, so I get coupons and "dividends" in the form of money I can spend there. And I do like to see some items in person before I buy. But it wasn't worth the crowds for me this time.

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, daveb said:

I just passed 19,000 on my 2011 Subaru (did more driving with my recent guest

You win for sure!

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, daveb said:

But as soon as I walked in the front door I saw there was a loooong line at the checkout counter so I turned right around and left.

They got you back outdoors but not the way they intended!

• Like 6

A resident marmot has taken up people watching.  Whenever I walk into the yard, it is perched  upon a rock, or underneath the shed, just checking us out.  Not sure how many of them are living around here, and they are a lot quieter than last year when they were always chirping.   At the same time,  I also saw a fox, just trotting along the road.  Coincidence? maybe not.  A ground squirrel greeted me upon arrived.  I made eye contact and shared a moment with these animals.   The hummingbirds are abundant too.  I am feeding them.   The weather is cool - 3C  with rain and snow showers.

I have built a fire in the wood stove for warmth and comfort tonight.

• Like 11