anyone past 50 on here?

50 minutes ago, daveb said:

I saw a house (in pictures not in person) that had a central atrium open to the outside only through lack of roof, but otherwise surrounded on all sides by the house. I always liked that idea.

I stayed last year in a hotel room with a similar feature—it was an interior space, so instead of a window, it had a glass door that opened onto a small green-walled terrace that was open to the sky.

RIP to Mr. Glommie (great name!), @AllThisTime

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

I stayed last year in a hotel room with a similar feature—it was an interior space, so instead of a window, it had a glass door that opened onto a small green-walled terrace that was open to the sky.

Yeah, that's what the house had, too. :) I think it's a cool idea, but I don't see it in many regular houses.

• Like 5
Glenninindy
20 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Even though he's "just a fish" it's still a loss for you and I am sorry for that loss.  He was part of your life for 17 years!  And I do believe that fish, birds, reptiles, and even earthworms can have their own personalities.  How did you dispose of the carcass?  He looks too big to flush.....and I assume you did something respectful for him.

16 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

RIP to Mr. Glommie (great name!), @AllThisTime

A Really Beautiful Goldfish. I  love talking to them. I am sure he misses you too. I certainly believe true love is never lost, and your special bond will live on until your Souls meet once more.

• Like 8

It’s tricky in some climates.

ETA:  central green spaces/courtyards, I mean!  I should have quoted.

• Like 5
BobRossRules
On 5/20/2019 at 9:23 AM, daveb said:

I had a great time with @faraday☘ visiting me the last week plus! :D 

Now getting back to "real life".

Me too!!  We had lots of fun.  Portland was great!  I also had fun with @pickles mcgee.  Portland has the best hiking.  I also enjoyed visiting the little beach town Manzanita.  Port Angeles was really nice too!  

• Like 9
27 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

It’s tricky in some climates.

ETA:  central green spaces/courtyards, I mean!  I should have quoted.

Yeah, probably wouldn't work well in places that get a lot of snow dumped in there. :P (unless you made it an icebox in the Winter? :lol: )

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

I also had fun with @pickles mcgee.

Yeah, the hike up the butte was a beaut! :D 

• Like 7

Woke at 3am. Could not fall back to sleep.

Truck broke down...twice. In the middle of farmland Indiana.

Taxi, from truck repair shop, took the long way to my hotel. *Almost came to fisticuffs, but I'm a pacifist*

On the bright side: When I pick up the truck tomorrow, home for an extra long weekend.:)

@daveb! Scandalous! 

Edited by Tja
  • Like 10

@faraday☘ and @pickles mcgee and @daveb or any others that know hiking in the Columbia River Gorge area, any hike recommendations within a one hour drive of The Dalles, Oregon?   I have a hiking guide I'm looking at but would love to get feedback from you guys.  I'm looking for a 5 to 6 mile hike and a water fall or two would be great too :-)

Cathy

• Like 6

Pickles will be the best one to answer that. I haven't been to the gorge much. Some hikes are still closed (or reclosed) after the big fire a couple of years ago.

• Like 5
Skycaptain

@daveb, the fish may just be staying towards the bottom of the pond until the warmer weather heats the water

My sister and brother in law have some near 20 year old Koi in their pond, now 18", 45cm long and rather round. 

• Like 8
AllThisTime
10 hours ago, Muledeer said:

too big to flush.....and I assume you did something respectful for him.

Mr. Glommie is buried and will become fertilizer.  So pushing up daisies isn't just a Monty Python reference!

I had to scoop him out of the tank and it was strange looking at him out of the water. An unkindness. 

Note: Mr. Glommie was not a gold fish. We started with a couple of those (George lived 5 years) and then moved on. This fish, commonly called a pleco, is a sucker fish.  Who knew they would grow so large?!  (not me)  The tropicals all died and said at the time: "NO MORE FISH" which is why I had a fish the same age as my friend's teenagers...

@daveb an atrium would be a nice feature in a home ... like an interior greenhouse.  Nice!

8 hours ago, Tja said:

On the bright side: When I pick up the truck tomorrow, home for an extra long weekend.:)

oh man ... extra long weekends are a bonus though!

• Like 10
48 minutes ago, AllThisTime said:

Mr. Glommie is buried and will become fertilizer.  So pushing up daisies isn't just a Monty Python reference!

This sounds like a good, albeit sad, end to a long life.

• Like 7

20190216-183127-resized.jpg

I have kept goldfish for quite a long time.  These two were black when I bought them, but last summer's heat made the tank water warm and they turned gold.  They are called Florence and Dougal.  I bury fish that die in due course in the garden.  Florence and Dougal are sweet little souls but not characters.  Like all goldfish they pull up the live plants which don't live long as a result, but I always have live plants to keep the water healthy.  I believe it is possible to plant tanks up without fish, but the plants then need more fertiliser added to the water. 

• Like 9
7 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@daveb, the fish may just be staying towards the bottom of the pond until the warmer weather heats the water

Possibly. But we have had some hot weather (up to 90F), and usually I would have seen them by now.

2 hours ago, AllThisTime said:

@daveb an atrium would be a nice feature in a home ... like an interior greenhouse.  Nice!

With the house I saw it was an interior space, totally surrounded by rooms, but without a covering (no roof or skylight) so it wouldn't act like a greenhouse. But one with a skylight or glass roof might be good in climates that get cold and snowy? Would probably want a way to vent out heat when the weather warms up though?

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

@Tja Great to see things are getting done for your house! Yay!

About installing ceiling fans being difficult, I think it’s hard just changing a light bulb! Trying to hold the light cover and screw it on again. The worst is the long florescent kind. What a major pain!

@AllThisTime Sorry for the loss of Mr. Glommie.

About my work situation, we are under staffed and so much expected of us. They write us up for some petty things and now we’re all anxious we could lose our jobs!

• Like 9
BobRossRules
On 5/21/2019 at 9:47 PM, daveb said:

Pickles will be the best one to answer that. I haven't been to the gorge much. Some hikes are still closed (or reclosed) after the big fire a couple of years ago.

Yep, @pickles mcgee is the go-to hiking expert!  She also is quite knowledgeable about little post offices too!:D

• Like 7
AllThisTime
On 5/22/2019 at 9:35 AM, Mz Terry said:

I always have live plants to keep the water healthy.  I believe it is possible to plant tanks up without fish, but the plants then need more fertiliser added to the water. 

Thanks @Mz Terry!  Do you use a special light for the plants?  This is all in theory, you know, because right now I'm quite happy to have the pump running to make the calming water noise ...   talk about a creature of habit!

• Like 7
31 minutes ago, AllThisTime said:

right now I'm quite happy to have the pump running to make the calming water noise ... 

Your invisible friend is a fish, that’s all!  :)

• Like 7
On 5/21/2019 at 8:45 PM, cdrdash said:

@faraday☘ and @pickles mcgee and @daveb or any others that know hiking in the Columbia River Gorge area, any hike recommendations within a one hour drive of The Dalles, Oregon?   I have a hiking guide I'm looking at but would love to get feedback from you guys.  I'm looking for a 5 to 6 mile hike and a water fall or two would be great too :-)

Cathy

I think I am settling on the what appears to be the very popular hike to Multnomah Falls.  I'll get up at 6 a.m and drive there hopefully to start the hike at 7 a.m. before the droves of Sunday hikers start to arrive and while there is still parking available.

Cathy

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

start the hike at 7 a.m. before the droves of Sunday hikers start to arrive

That sounds like a good plan.  You’ll be finishing as everyone else is starting.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cdrdash said:

I think I am settling on the what appears to be the very popular hike to Multnomah Falls.  I'll get up at 6 a.m and drive there hopefully to start the hike at 7 a.m. before the droves of Sunday hikers start to arrive and while there is still parking available.

Cathy

Looks like parts of it may be closed, but maybe there is enough open for you?

Check https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge/trail-alerts.html

(the Falls showed up at the top of the list when I looked at it just now)

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, daveb said:

Looks like parts of it may be closed, but maybe there is enough open for you?

Check https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge/trail-alerts.html

(the Falls showed up at the top of the list when I looked at it just now)

I won't be going till July 21st but I'll be sure to check the conditions of the trail a week before I leave.  I'll look into other hikes in my guide book to have a back up plan!

Cathy

• Like 6
3 hours ago, cdrdash said:

hike to Multnomah Falls. 

I went there when I was a kid on vacation with my parents.  I don't remember it being too much of a "hike", like the kind you regularly engage in.  I remember it being more of a standard tourist attraction.  A very beautiful spot.  I think it is close to The Dalles and I remember watching the salmon swimming at a dam on the Columbia River nearby.

I had an interesting day at work.  I did an inspection of a trona mine and soda processing plant.  The world's largest trona mine!  We didn't go underground into the mine, but the manufacturing facility was enormous.  They produce soda ash, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and caustic soda from the trona ore.  

Southwest Wyoming has the largest trona reserves in the world, with four very large underground mines at least 500 M deep.  Soda ash is used in all kinds of industrial applications, and it is an essential ingredient for making all kinds of glass.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I went there when I was a kid on vacation with my parents.  I don't remember it being too much of a "hike", like the kind you regularly engage in.  I remember it being more of a standard tourist attraction.  A very beautiful spot.  I think it is close to The Dalles and I remember watching the salmon swimming at a dam on the Columbia River nearby.

I had an interesting day at work.  I did an inspection of a trona mine and soda processing plant.  The world's largest trona mine!  We didn't go underground into the mine, but the manufacturing facility was enormous.  They produce soda ash, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and caustic soda from the trona ore.  

Southwest Wyoming has the largest trona reserves in the world, with four very large underground mines at least 500 M deep.  Soda ash is used in all kinds of industrial applications, and it is an essential ingredient for making all kinds of glass.

It is a 2 waterfall hike in my guide book for 5.4 miles total.  The other fall is Wahkeena.

• Like 4
Skycaptain

Unfortunately my bank holiday weekend has been interrupted by having to work all three days 😡 

I like the sound of just having a plant tank rather than a fish tank. 

Does anyone know a way to persuade cats to be a bit more territorial, and stop inviting friends to come over and join in a purr-pile? 

• Like 6

@AllThisTime, yes, you would need a tank light to keep plants healthy.  The fish don't really require tank lights, although lighting shows off their colours.  The newer lights using LED bulbs are cheap to run and last ages.  Pets at Home stores here sell kits to grow tank plants with special compost etc.  I would love to have a beautifully planted up tank, but plants plus goldfish, the fish win every time. 

• Like 7
11 hours ago, AllThisTime said:

right now I'm quite happy to have the pump running to make the calming water noise ...   talk about a creature of habit!

Well, it had been a 17-year habit! Quite understandable.

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Unfortunately my bank holiday weekend has been interrupted by having to work all three days 😡 

Boo! Sorry to hear. I am most definitely looking forward to my 3-day holiday weekend. Tomorrow I will see a niece whom I haven't seen in almost 2 years, but other than that, no special plans. Maybe a hike, maybe go kayaking....

@Muledeer, I had never heard of trona and had to look it up! Do you sometimes have to go INTO mines???? That would not work for me, as I'm claustrophobic. 😳

• Like 6
2 hours ago, teatree said:

I am most definitely looking forward to my 3-day holiday weekend. 

@Muledeer, I had never heard of trona and had to look it up! Do you sometimes have to go INTO mines???? That would not work for me, as I'm claustrophobic. 😳

I'm looking forward to the holiday as well.  I plan on going to the cemetery this afternoon to take care of the family's graves, then three days in the mountains!

I don't have to go into the mines but I usually request a mine tour because I find it very interesting and somewhat of an adventure, kind of like flying in small airplanes. 

• Like 8
13 hours ago, cdrdash said:

I'll get up at 6 a.m and drive there hopefully to start the hike at 7 a.m.

Aagghhh. Too early for me! But I know what you mean about wanting to hike with fewer people around.

15 hours ago, AllThisTime said:

Thanks @Mz Terry!  Do you use a special light for the plants?  This is all in theory, you know, because right now I'm quite happy to have the pump running to make the calming water noise ...   talk about a creature of habit!

You could also covert the fish tank into a giant terrarium. No running water noises, but otherwise a useful way to use the tank.

• Like 6