anyone past 50 on here?

2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Nice!  It must be a regional thing (hoses).

We’re not supposed to have bird baths here.  I miss them from childhood.

Huh? 

A measure to prevent mosquitoes?

• Like 6

Not having bird baths seems strange. Over here they're encouraged, especially in built-up areas which may have a dearth of standing water. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, will123 said:

A measure to prevent mosquitoes?

Yep.

2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Not having bird baths seems strange. Over here they're encouraged, especially in built-up areas which may have a dearth of standing water. 

Because of West Nile virus we are discouraged (not to the point of its being illegal, but strongly discouraged) from providing any source of standing water.

It’s a little silly as we have a gazillion mosquitoes anyway.

• Like 7
Sleepy Otter

Interesting.  I didn't know that about birdbaths.  I had one from the prior owner, but it has fallen over and is going back to the earth, so to speak.  Prior owner left the hose too.  Was a good one even.  I forgot to turn off the water to the hose for the winter, so we'll see what that did...might have to get a new one now.  I have a friend who made her own curtains in one of her rooms in her previous house and the prospective buyer got to keep them.  That seems odd to me because they are not attached like a light or other hardware.  Curtain rods I expect to leave, but not my curtains, so will be replacing before I sell in a gajillion years.

• Like 5
AllThisTime
On 4/21/2019 at 5:59 PM, will123 said:

The other thing I was wondering are people going to all of a sudden smoke pot because it's legal?

Cannabis legalization in Canada quickly turned into an obvious tax grab and has been so mismanaged its no wonder people are continuing with their regular suppliers. I use CBD for nerve pain in my leg and I've done a lot of research. The Ontario government website is a joke and I'd have to do a major expedition to even find the location of a real store.  

So people are doing their own thing the way they always have, and using social media big time to trade and barter; lots of growing your own!  That's because any government supply is ridiculously overpriced. 

Honestly, I don't know how I'd manage without the CBD though. When my licenced supplier (I have a prescription) ran out I thought I'd just cruise along... it took a couple of days before it was out of my system, and I was popping extra strength tylenol 3x a day to handle the pain.  So that clarified that .. and I now get my CBD / THC oil from "my guy", who also explained dosing and the "entourage effect", which means you need some THC for your CBD to have its best effects.

Strange and interesting times here in Cannabis Canada!

• Like 7

I broke another crown last night. :(

I think most of my crowns are 20-30 years old, so maybe it's not unusual for them to start failing after all that time*. Or maybe I need to change to a mushy diet. :P 

I called my dentist and made an appointment to get this one fixed tomorrow morning. Another unplanned expense.

* googled how long do crowns last and I see anywhere from 5 to 30 years

• Like 6

Yeah, was going to say, the “official” estimate dentists here give is always 5 years so at 20 you are probably (sadly!) due.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Yep.

Because of West Nile virus we are discouraged (not to the point of its being illegal, but strongly discouraged) from providing any source of standing water.

It’s a little silly as we have a gazillion mosquitoes anyway.

They 'advise' us in Ontario to prevent standing water. Mostly wheelbarrows and old tires

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, will123 said:

They 'advise' us in Ontario to prevent standing water. Mostly wheelbarrows and old tires

Same but plus bird baths and sans wheelbarrows.  I think the local examples were old tires, bird baths, and old kiddie pools.

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

I'm going to have to google crowns. 🤣

I’m envious.  I totally lost out in both the physical and emotional genetic lotteries when it comes to teeth and have paying for it (in suffering and money) for several decades.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

Same but plus bird baths and sans wheelbarrows.  I think the local examples were old tires, bird baths, and old kiddie pools.

I must have challenged birds.  They never drink out of my birdbath.  Just splash until the water is gone.  So mosquitoes never have a chance to breed in it.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Have never had any problems with teeth.  Just go to the dentist for cleanings.  Never had a cavity.

That’s okay, I’ve had enough for at least five people.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

the physical and emotional genetic lotteries when it comes to teeth

I want to know more about the emotional life of teeth.

• Like 8

My teeth (a full intact set) have made it this far with only a few cavities and a brief childhood period of wearing braces. That hasn’t stopped two successive dentists from warning me almost every visit about issues they’re allegedly “keeping an eye on.”

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Have never had any problems with teeth.  Just go to the dentist for cleanings.  Never had a cavity.

5 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

My teeth (a full intact set) have made it this far with only a few cavities and a brief childhood period of wearing braces.

You two lucky devils.  I think I'm halfway between you and @ryn2.  I've had plenty of cavities over the years (have a number right now that need to be filled), but only one root canal so far.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I must have challenged birds.  They never drink out of my birdbath.  Just splash until the water is gone.

These three sentences made my day.  Go, birds!

• Like 8
45 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

I want to know more about the emotional life of teeth.

Hah, not quite that way.  My parents not only gifted me weak enamel and lousy jaw structure but were also hugely dentist-phobic (so I didn’t get dental care until I could there on my own).  They also passed along and regularly exhibited their mental health issues (severe anxiety, body dysmorphia, etc.), which contributed to my teenaged/young adult eating disorder, and being underweight at growth spurt time meant my teeth decalcified and got lots of cavities.  So, triple whammy.

Since very late high school I have

taken the best care of my teeth humanly possible and had no new cavities but the damage was long since done.

More than anyone wanted to know, I’m sure.  😂

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

More than anyone wanted to know, I’m sure.  😂

Not true!  I'm always interested in people's stories, including their challenges.

Sorry that your teenage self had so much to deal with, @ryn2; that time is already hard enough as it is. 😬

• Like 9
5 hours ago, ryn2 said:

That’s okay, I’ve had enough for at least five people.

I joke that I have more crowns than half the royal families of Europe. :P 

I had good teeth when I was younger, but then they went downhill quickly (like my mom's, speaking of genetics). There was about a decade or so after I lost all of my baby teeth when I had zero cavities.

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, daveb said:

I joke that I have more crowns than half the royal families of Europe

Probably cost more too!  XD

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

I am lucky I have good teeth. I only had one cavity in a baby tooth. Had braces and head gear as a teen. The head gear was so painful pushing back on my teeth! I hated that! Had one wisdom tooth that bothered me trying to come in. Finally it came in and was fine for a while until it bothered me again. Had it pulled and was surprised how easy and painfree that was. The rest of my wisdom teeth are still under the gum and are crooked or on their sides. I get some pain, pressure and swelling from them sometimes, like recently. It settled down. I worry about it when it acts up because I’d have to have them surgically removed if they cause me major trouble. I don’t have dental insurance. I hope I never lose my teeth. I don’t want to have to wear dentures. Sometimes my teeth and gums hurt a little, so then I make sure I floss and that helps. I brush my teeth at least 2 times a day and try to floss often.

I’m off work yesterday and today. Got a lot of things done yesterday. Laundry, bookwork, pick up sticks in the yard, took donation to the kids school sale (and will be going to that tomorrow), went to clinic for blood draw, got new license plates and tabs and put those on my car.

• Like 8

I have had dental problems over the years probably from a combination of genetics, bad care of my teeth, and the fact that I grind my teeth at night.   Most all my back teeth are filled and about 4 are crowned.  I have had one root canal but that tooth finally wore out and had to be extracted.  I chose to replace it with an implant which was expensive and a long process.   After the whole tooth extraction thing I have vastly improved my teeth care as I don't want to have to go through that again with other teeth.  I also wear a night guard at night to protect my teeth from the grinding.  It has taken me a while to get used to it and I still feel like it is affecting my sleep.  I'm hoping I grow more used to it as time passes by.  

Had all four wisdom teeth removed at 18 years of age.  They were all impacted and were pushing on my other teeth.  I had to be put under to have the wisdom teeth removed and had chipmunk cheeks for about a week after that!

• Like 9
14 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Not true!  I'm always interested in people's stories, including their challenges.

Quite so! Me too.

• Like 9

The dental visit this morning wasn't too bad. Although my checkbook took a hit. Coronation will be in 2 weeks. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crowns.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, daveb said:

Coronation will be in 2 weeks.

Are you going?

The first time that I visited Thailand, it was at his 50th Anniversary as King. The last time, was at his 60th. He had reigned for 70 years at his death.

• Like 6

Ha! I meant my new crown (on my tooth). :D 

Sort of a coronation al dente. :lol: 

• Like 10