anyone past 50 on here?

Lovingforboth
51 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

We stayed 4 days in Funchal and then 6 in the hills above Calheta. On the last day we had a paddle in/on Calheta's beach. It is obviously artificial. Not a problem because I too would rather be up in the hills or battling with Levadas. It was a 'courtesy' paddle, in truth.

I hope you enjoyed your 10 days here :) 

It's a nice place for vacations, but such a quiet place can get boring after a while. (I reckon I'm bias to make this statement 😂)

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Spotastic said:

@Tja Congrats on finally getting some work done on the house! Love the wood choice. 

Thanks!

• Like 6
On 4/20/2019 at 3:58 PM, Tunhope said:

@Muledeer I've been reading recently about the legalisation of weed in Canada, but how it's not gone fully to plan because the quality is poor but, nevertheless, it's more expensive than illegal stuff. 

I could care less about the issue, but the media coverage is a bit overblown in my opinion. Every time a legal store opens the news coverage isnt far off that a new iPhone release (SMH)

They were talking to one guy that had been to all three store openings in Toronto. Nothing better to do?

Some commentators are saying that folks will just stick with their previous 'suppliers'.

The other thing I was wondering are people going to all of a sudden smoke pot because it's legal?

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Lovingforboth said:

I hope you enjoyed your 10 days here :) 

It's a nice place for vacations, but such a quiet place can get boring after a while. (I reckon I'm bias to make this statement 😂)

Yes, I can imagine so. Have you lived on the island long? And in which part/parts?

If you page back far enough in this thread (sometime this year, and posted by me) you'll find a link to a video of the Levada Nova walk we did. I won't post it again because it was too scary for some of the readers here....

• Like 8
Lovingforboth
16 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Yes, I can imagine so. Have you lived on the island long? And in which part/parts?

If you page back far enough in this thread (sometime this year, and posted by me) you'll find a link to a video of the Levada Nova walk we did. I won't post it again because it was too scary for some of the readers here....

Born, raised and living all my life here. Primarily lived in Estreito Câmara de Lobos and then moved to Funchal.

I know that Levada, it's a beautiful one.

When I was little, I used to "swim" inside them 😂

Edited by Lovingforboth
  • Like 8

And the final hike of this long three day weekend, Harvey Bear Coyote Lake park with my best hiking buddy, Sharon!

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YoDJwg2z6oCrNxTf8

The grassy pictures all in a row are me trying to capture a picture of what we think was a painted lady butterfly.  Zooming in with my smart phone reduces the clarity of the photo.  I am hoping Sharon got a better picture with her better digital camera.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Lovingforboth said:

Born, raised and living all my life here. Primarily lived in Estreito Câmara de Lobos and then moved to Funchal.

I know that Levada, it's a beautiful one.

When I was little, I used to "swim" inside them 😂

My sister and her husband are vacationing in Madeira right now! She has been sending me beautiful photos of all their hikes with the impressive views...I am envious. And she sent a photo of the Levada Nova walk--I knew I had seen that before just recently, though couldn't remember it was posted by @Midland Tyke

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, teatree said:

My sister and her husband are vacationing in Madeira right now!

That is such a coincidence!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Sleepy Otter said:

I also have this issue with people who let their dogs off leash when they are not supposed to and let their dogs go all over

My neighbors let their dog run around loose in our cul-de-sac - the 2 things I don't like about that is sometimes the dog will run at me barking loudly and it makes me nervous that it might attack, and it goes into my backyard and poops there. There is a fence, but the previous people took the gate with them when they left and I just hadn't gotten around to getting a new gate (but if I'm going to stay here for a while longer I probably should go ahead and get one), so that part is kind of on me. But they should keep an eye on the dog and not let it do that. Their kids were accustomed to carrying their play over into my backyard, too, because the previous occupants had kids and they apparently played together, but fortunately my sister asked them not to play in our yard before I got here (she occupied the house a few weeks before I did because I was still in Calif. making preparations to move at the time I bought the house).

2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I won't post it again because it was too scary for some of the readers here....

:P

I won't stop you from posting it if you want (but would appreciate if it were put in a spoiler) :lol: 

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, daveb said:

the previous people took the gate with them 

They took the gate??  Was it special to them somehow?

• Like 8
Lovingforboth
55 minutes ago, teatree said:

My sister and her husband are vacationing in Madeira right now! She has been sending me beautiful photos of all their hikes with the impressive views...I am envious. And she sent a photo of the Levada Nova walk--I knew I had seen that before just recently, though couldn't remember it was posted by @Midland Tyke

I hope they are having a great time.

Today it was a summer day... (at least here in Funchal, because if you go around the island you will most likely go through the four seasons 😂)

And the Levadas aren't all scary, we have placed protection rails in some of them... just so that our visitors could enjoy them as well.

Here's a video of fun things to do ;)

• Like 6

I wouldn't presume what is scary or not scary for other people. Phobias are irrational fears, but are still very real. 

All of those shots of people jumping off of rocks/cliffs into water are not my cup of tea, to say the least (with my acrophobia and lack of swimming ability).

The bike riding might be good (if it avoids heights). :) 

• Like 8
19 hours ago, daveb said:

My neighbors let their dog run around loose in our cul-de-sac - the 2 things I don't like about that is sometimes the dog will run at me barking loudly and it makes me nervous that it might attack, and it goes into my backyard and poops there. There is a fence, but the previous people took the gate with them when they left and I just hadn't gotten around to getting a new gate (but if I'm going to stay here for a while longer I probably should go ahead and get one), so that part is kind of on me. But they should keep an eye on the dog and not let it do that. Their kids were accustomed to carrying their play over into my backyard, too, because the previous occupants had kids and they apparently played together, but fortunately my sister asked them not to play in our yard before I got here (she occupied the house a few weeks before I did because I was still in Calif. making preparations to move at the time I bought the house).

Lovely! My mother (parents were visiting for a couple of days) had a similar moment while I was at work on nights. The one daughter (of two teenaged girls) were walking in my driveway beside our vehicles to get to their back entrance. My mother spoke to her asking he if she'd mind staying on their property to get to the house. She just got a dirty look. I had one confrontation with her years later that was difficult for me as a single male. 

As far as I was concerned I wouldn't trust either of them as far as you could throw them. On the other hand, the two girls and a boy that grew up beside me on the other side were the greatest. Friendly and helpful to boot. 

That's one thing the jerks on one side of me didn't have was a dog.

• Like 7
AllThisTime
4 hours ago, cdrdash said:

trying to capture a picture of what we think was a painted lady butterfly.

@cdrdash what great shots and such a beautiful area! Thank you.

2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

They took the gate??  Was it special to them somehow?

Seriously? Gate taking is a thing? Who knew...  @daveb whether you have a gate, a moat, or nothing at all, there is no reason anyone should be allowing their dog to do business on your property.  

I would say my worst neighbour was the one who decided to 'trim' my trees when I wasn't home. If he had a dog, I'd be concerned for that pet's welfare with the attitude this guy had.  Truly scary.

• Like 8

@cdrdash, the scenery you find makes me jealous :P:P, I think I have to travel 150 miles (240Km) to find an altitude of 1000ft, 330m above sea-level.

Taking the garden gate does seem bizarre. Over here it would count as a fixture, and included in the sale unless otherwise agreed. Same goes for plants in the garden. You may take potted plants and cuttings, but anything in the ground stays 

If we had legal weed shops in Britain, the queues would cause traffic chaos 

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Lovingforboth said:

Today it was a summer day... (at least here in Funchal, because if you go around the island you will most likely go through the four seasons

They seem to be enjoying it, based on all the photos I'm getting! They are on their way now to Funchal, having spent previous days in Porto da Cruz and Paul do Mar. They prefer hiking and do about 4-5 hours per day. I think they leave on Thursday--they live in Geneva.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Taking the garden gate does seem bizarre. Over here it would count as a fixture, and included in the sale unless otherwise agreed. Same goes for plants in the garden. You may take potted plants and cuttings, but anything in the ground stays

Before I put my house on the market, I dug up a couple of plants that were special to me. Luckily I had already moved to a new place, so had somewhere to put them! And there was a dog pen in my former backyard, but it was clearly stated it was not part of the house purchase.

• Like 8

Yeah, sometimes people take things you wouldn't expect. Taking closet doors seems to be more common than you'd expect, for example. I would have thought it was an ordinary gate, not likely to have sentimental value, from what I remember from viewing the house before I bought it. They were moving across country - I don't know if they had a new house to move to that needed a gate. Some people seem to have fewer boundaries than others. :P 

• Like 7
13 hours ago, Lovingforboth said:

Today it was a summer day... (at least here in Funchal, because if you go around the island you will most likely go through the four seasons 😂)

And the Levadas aren't all scary, we have placed protection rails in some of them... just so that our visitors could enjoy them as well.

Here's a video of fun things to do ;)

Fun, indeed. Although I haven't done, and probably wont now, many of them.

• Like 7

Closet doors is another odd one. Here they would have to be specifically noted as not included (in the contract), assuming they were in place when the house was shown.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Closet doors is another odd one. Here they would have to be specifically noted as not included (in the contract), assuming they were in place when the house was shown.

Doesn't seem to stop people from taking them. Or taking all of the light bulbs is another example. On the other hand they will leave all sorts of useless junk, like a couple of plastic kiddie pools here.

• Like 6

The lightbulbs are fine as they are not part of the house.

At my house most of them were blown.  I wondered if they didn’t know how to change them, stopped changing them when they knew they were selling, or actually swapped in dead ones from their parents’ place...

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

The lightbulbs are fine as they are not part of the house.

I always considered them part of the fixtures, like filters in furnaces or a garden hose. Just because they can easily be detached doesn't mean they aren't part of the house in my mind. Like the gate - which was probably just held on with a few screws. They aren't something I'd ever have even thought to take. shrugs

• Like 5

I should have been more clear there.  In my geography lightbulbs are not legally considered part of the house from a real estate transaction standpoint (whereas things like doors, hardwired light fixtures, etc., are).  Neither are furnace filters unless they are the “permanent” kind.

I can honestly say I’ve never seen someone leave a garden hose.  If someone did I would figure it was defective/hiding the fact the hose bibb leaks.

Real estate laws and expectations very very widely from state to state though!

• Like 6
17 hours ago, daveb said:

I wouldn't presume what is scary or not scary for other people. Phobias are irrational fears, but are still very real. 

All of those shots of people jumping off of rocks/cliffs into water are not my cup of tea, to say the least (with my acrophobia and lack of swimming ability).

The bike riding might be good (if it avoids heights). :) 

First bike ride of the season YAYYY! Hope to get some riding in On Thursday in Toronto and visit the beach.

• Like 8

About taking stuff when moving. I was talking to old neighbours a few months after they moved. They asked me if I had met the new owners. I said no. They proceeded to tell me that they got a call from their own lawyer asking if they had switched a light fixture in the dining room. No they hadn't. (No suitable place for the style they had in their old house in the new place). I guess the new people were accusing them of changing the light fixture after the deal had closed.

• Like 7

Someone I know took a few closet doors when moving out of a rental into a newly purchased home, because they’d turned the doors into artistic elements. They now serve as decorative wall panels in the new place. At least they got permission and paid the landlord for the cost to replace them.

When I bought my home, the sellers asked if they could take some of their custom window treatments with them. Since those were hideous, I said yes. But then they left them anyway, forcing me to feel badly about tossing the damn things.:unsure:

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

When I bought my home, the sellers asked if they could take some of their custom window treatments with them. Since those were hideous, I said yes. But then they left them anyway, forcing me to feel badly about tossing the damn things.:unsure:

Exactly all of this happened to me as well...

• Like 5
4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I can honestly say I’ve never seen someone leave a garden hose.  If someone did I would figure it was defective/hiding the fact the hose bibb leaks.

The previous owners of my condo left a very nice garden hose for me that is still working fine since I  bought the place in 1998!   My other favorite thing that they left in the backyard was a bird bath.  The previous owners were long gone when I looked at the place so I knew that what I saw when I visited was what it would come with.

Cathy

• Like 5

Nice!  It must be a regional thing (hoses).

We’re not supposed to have bird baths here.  I miss them from childhood.

• Like 4