anyone past 50 on here?

I always find it sadly hilarious that, while I have forgotten nearly all the formulae I was officially taught in school, years of hanging out with “the wrong crowd” during that same timeframe - especially with one very profit-minded ringleader type - have left “28.75 grams per ounce” permanently stored in the readily-accessible part of my brain.

• Like 6
Sleepy Otter

I love your photos @cdrdash!  It is still very brown here...and one of those flowers reminds me of a very noxious weed we have here called Wild Parsnip.  Hopefully it is something totally different.  The rock formations were my favorite though...

@ryn2 I didn't realize NY allowed studded snow tires (I do know that it varies by state but I haven't ever bothered with anything other than regular snows - don't have a large commute when I do have to travel in such weather).  I don't think I have ever seen them.  Although we don't get nearly the snow you do over in this corner...

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, Sleepy Otter said:

I haven't ever bothered with anything other than regular snows

Because we get a lot of freeze/thaw/freeze here, we also get a lot of icy and black ice conditions.  If you just get straight-up dry snow they don’t gain you anything over regular snows.  I think they only saved me one time in Potsdam, where the weather is more comparable to yours.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

Are all the market buildings perches on pillars?  Do they have an open market beneath the building?

I don't know if all are, but it is pretty standard. Yes, the original purpose was to have open air markets underneath, and some (many?) still do.

• Like 5

I had to look up what a feoffee is/was.  While I heard a lot about fiefs and fiefdoms, I don’t recall ever seeing the term before.

• Like 5

I love the photos @cdrdash. (As always) Such pretty flowers. The little clump of white ones with yellow centres on the right hand side of one of the rows is my favourite. I don't think I've seen them here.

420 Day - wow! What an interesting description @Muledeer I've been reading recently about the legalisation of weed in Canada, but how it's not gone fully to plan because the quality is poor but, nevertheless, it's more expensive than illegal stuff. 

8 miles sounds a lot, @Skycaptain, especially if it was as hot there as it's been here. Given the previous sentence, I can't get the Byrds' Eight Miles High out of my head now. 

The snow tyres posts are curious. I've never used snow tyres. I don't think I've ever even seen snow tyres. If there isn't any snow, does the drive feel different from the way it would on normal tyres?

• Like 8

@Tunhope, our hike was fun, huge numbers of Brimstones and Speckled Eoods, a few Holly Blues and Orange Tips, possibly Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock, although I didn't get a positive ID, so I can't claim them

Winter tyres make a huge difference. I find they handle standing water better than summer tyres, although they can be a bit noisier. 

• Like 6

Day 2 of hiking!  This time at Briones.  It was nice to not be in charge.   I saw wild turkeys and a California newt.  The wild flowers were good too but nothing like yesterday's flowers at Pinnacles.  

There was a young dog on this hike, Sage, and she was off leash in area where cows were in pasture.  She found cow poop and rolled in it.  I have never seen such a messy dog.  I stayed away from her most of the day so I didn't ever get a whiff of her.   She must have been pretty stinky!  I imagine she will get hosed down and washed when she gets home.

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NavcJMWgVfGfSKkh7

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

Day 2 of hiking!  This time at Briones.  It was nice to not be in charge.   I saw wild turkeys and a California newt.  The wild flowers were good too but nothing like yesterday's flowers at Pinnacles.  

There was a young dog on this hike, Sage, and she was off leash in area where cows were in pasture.  She found cow poop and rolled in it.  I have never seen such a messy dog.  I stayed away from her most of the day so I didn't ever get a whiff of her.   She must have been pretty stinky!  I imagine she will get hosed down and washed when she gets home.

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NavcJMWgVfGfSKkh7

Nice.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@Tja I like the color and style of your flooring.  Is it real hardwood plank flooring?

Thanks!

I don't think so. I believe it's an engineered hardwood flooring. Better than laminate click and lock, though.

My 100 year-old hardwoods are long gone. Though, the upstairs are still there. Waiting under carpet for me to do something with them.

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Chandra

take care and best wishes!

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Tunhope said:

f there isn't any snow, does the drive feel different from the way it would on normal tyres?

They have coarser, deeper tread than regular tires... so, on dry road, they don’t ride quite as smoothly.  They are also typically not speed-rated so your maximum speed is lower than it would be with regular tires (but still above the legal limit here).

The studs in mine (small metal spikes) make them noisier than regular tires and very slightly increase my dry road stopping distance.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I find they handle standing water better than summer tyres

Yep, they have bigger channels for it to escape through.

• Like 6
On 4/15/2019 at 8:48 AM, cdrdash said:

I thought about saying that but I don't think she would be a good hike leader so I did not want to encourage her to become one!  

I don't know you so I hope it is ok that I give my 2 cents. That person sounds arrogant, and yes she would rub me the wrong way as well. She sounds rude, she sounds like she would not pick up on any verbal cues (or ignore them) that she was irritating, or even visual cues to just plain shut up! I would have spoke about how it is impossible to take too many pics and how it doesn't matter WHATSOEVER how many hiking miles you have under your belt, just the experiences that you have had during your hikes, isn't that what is important. LIFE? WHAT WE EXPERIENCE???  NOT out-doing everything and everybody. Geeeez, I am surprised you survived without speaking up!!  Kudos to you for holding it in!! You are a better person than I!

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Nice.

O.O  OOOOH!  What is a California Newt?  I grew up in Orange County and never heard of one of those!  Somehow it sounds like some kind of a turkey like bird, but I am probably wrong! Way off the mark maybe??? I will await your reply and go shopping!

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, Fantine said:

O.O  OOOOH!  What is a California Newt?  I grew up in Orange County and never heard of one of those!  Somehow it sounds like some kind of a turkey like bird, but I am probably wrong! Way off the mark maybe??? I will await your reply and go shopping!

There is a wiki page about it ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_newt .  It is a newt that is found in California!   Go figure.

• Like 6
50 minutes ago, Fantine said:

I don't know you so I hope it is ok that I give my 2 cents. That person sounds arrogant, and yes she would rub me the wrong way as well. She sounds rude, she sounds like she would not pick up on any verbal cues (or ignore them) that she was irritating, or even visual cues to just plain shut up! I would have spoke about how it is impossible to take too many pics and how it doesn't matter WHATSOEVER how many hiking miles you have under your belt, just the experiences that you have had during your hikes, isn't that what is important. LIFE? WHAT WE EXPERIENCE???  NOT out-doing everything and everybody. Geeeez, I am surprised you survived without speaking up!!  Kudos to you for holding it in!! You are a better person than I!

I'm fine with your 2 cents worth.  If I wasn't, I would not have posted it :).   I was polite to her on the hike but if she shows up on another of my hikes, I may not be so polite.   I did check in with my friends on the hike later in the week and they all agreed with me that she was highly annoying and seemed to lack a social filter.   

• Like 6

Went to mow the lawn and weed for my disabled buddy, Peggy after the hike today.  I am now officially exhausted.  A 6 mile hike followed by 2.5 hours of weeding and mowing has worn me out!   But it did feel good to see how happy Peggy was to have the job done and she supplied me with cookies when I was done :D and a heart felt thank you.   Now its time to kick back on the couch and watch some TV.  Anyone want to place any bets on how long before I fall asleep ;)???

• Like 5

cdrdash Hykenut I don't think this reply is going to the right area. I am posting a reply to cdrdash Hykenut about how she took a 6-mile hike and then mowed her disabled friend's lawn and wanted to take bets as to how long it will take you to fall asleep on the couch. I say 5 minutes !!  I want you to know that your friend is lucky to have you. I think that is incredibly sweet of you to mow her lawn for her. I have been having operations on both of my feet for the last 4 years due to the fact that they both began to cave in on top. They both are full of plates and screws and a lot more stuff.  I would appreciate a lift to the store from time to time but being that I was very busy working 3 jobs as a single mom and had to break off all relationships I had the first 35 - 40 years of my life and that I have PTSD due to a very, very bad marriage, I never trusted anyone but two people to let in closer than arms length. It would be great to have a friend. That is where asexual or being asexual comes in to play. I never knew it until 4 years ago, but that is why no friends, I never cared to meet anyone. I do have my children and what a blessing they are but to be a good mom I have to let go. Oh well. That's life I guess. Have a good day when you wake up on the couch! :)

• Like 6
On 4/17/2019 at 8:43 AM, Midland Tyke said:

Plenty of us here willing to act as tour guides. Well me, anyway...

Another incentive--thankyou!  I do envy you UK Avenites, for your seemingly high concentrations. 

On 4/17/2019 at 3:49 PM, Semisweet said:

I remember it being kind of nerve-wracking but truly gorgeous.

That last part is why I'll have to do it. 

On 4/17/2019 at 4:39 PM, Muledeer said:

Likewise over here, if anybody ever gets to travel to Wyoming.

I do occasionally get to Wyoming.  What part are you in?  My son-in-law's folks have a home and horses on 40 acres near Thayne, Wyoming.  I've stayed at their place a couple of times.

On 4/17/2019 at 5:22 PM, daveb said:

Oh, sure. Suggest something logical. :P 

On 4/17/2019 at 5:42 PM, Semisweet said:

Many millions of Americans have figured it out over the years, therefore so can you!

LOL to both of these comments!  (One regarding foundations and insurance; the other, passports.)

On 4/17/2019 at 9:32 PM, cdrdash said:

I was in a family passport in 1965/66 when we went to London, England.

That was adorable.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:38 AM, teatree said:

My current passport has the most terrible picture--i look like I'm 100 and was just dug up from the grave!

I look like death warmed over in mine, but with glasses.  (Why, then, do the passport officers have no problem recognizing me??) 

On 4/18/2019 at 8:43 AM, AllThisTime said:

I've purchased a little Leesure-Lite trailer (small enough to be pulled behind a motorcycle)

So cool!

15 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Hi all, here's Chandra just saying bye for now. Sending out all the best as usual. Hope it works out for you all.

Where are you off to?

• Like 6
56 minutes ago, Fantine said:

cdrdash Hykenut I don't think this reply is going to the right area. I am posting a reply to cdrdash Hykenut about how she took a 6-mile hike and then mowed her disabled friend's lawn and wanted to take bets as to how long it will take you to fall asleep on the couch. I say 5 minutes !!  I want you to know that your friend is lucky to have you. I think that is incredibly sweet of you to mow her lawn for her. I have been having operations on both of my feet for the last 4 years due to the fact that they both began to cave in on top. They both are full of plates and screws and a lot more stuff.  I would appreciate a lift to the store from time to time but being that I was very busy working 3 jobs as a single mom and had to break off all relationships I had the first 35 - 40 years of my life and that I have PTSD due to a very, very bad marriage, I never trusted anyone but two people to let in closer than arms length. It would be great to have a friend. That is where asexual or being asexual comes in to play. I never knew it until 4 years ago, but that is why no friends, I never cared to meet anyone. I do have my children and what a blessing they are but to be a good mom I have to let go. Oh well. That's life I guess. Have a good day when you wake up on the couch! :)

Seems to be getting to me, cdrdash a.ka. hykenut, and my real name, Cathy :-)  just fine.  I actually did not fall asleep on the couch.   I ended up deciding I needed a shower first.  However, I am fading now so will head to bed shortly after I hit "Submit Reply" to send this post!! 

Cathy

• Like 6

@cdrdash, love the photos 🎂

Yesterday's hike, there wasn't a great deal of variety on the butterfly front, but there were huge numbers of Brimstones and Speckled Woods. This morning is laundry and work :mad:

• Like 6
Lovingforboth
On 1/13/2019 at 2:15 PM, Midland Tyke said:

In many ways Madeira reminded me of inland French Riviera ('inland' because Madeira has no beaches).

Madeira is an island... we are mainly surrounded by beaches. The difference is that most of them are not sandy beaches but have pebbles instead and the ones that are sandy, its black sand.

Porto Santo on the other hand has yellow sandy beaches... but it's a smaller island.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Lovingforboth said:

The difference is that most of them are not sandy beaches but have pebbles instead and the ones that are sandy, its black sand.

I also just read that there are several artificial beaches, made with golden sand imported from Morocco.

• Like 8

Have had some really bad internet over the past week with some thunderstorms in the area. I've barely been able to do any schoolwork and only just got my required forum posts done. I am really glad that I have extensions and the first week of May off before my next classes start.

@Tja Congrats on finally getting some work done on the house! Love the wood choice.

Re: passports. I needed to get one when I visited a friend in Southampton and other friends in Brighton in the UK back in 2006. My picture really looks like a mug shot. Angry Puerto Rican face. 😄 I'll have to see if I can find it.

• Like 6
Lovingforboth
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

I also just read that there are several artificial beaches, made with golden sand imported from Morocco.

You are right,  there are two beaches that have imported sand. One of them is 'Calheta' and the other is 'Machico' (the later is divided in two, being the biggest extension made of its original pebbles)

They are nice beaches ... but I prefer nature walks in the Levadas or canyoning. :)

• Like 7
Sleepy Otter
16 hours ago, cdrdash said:

I'm fine with your 2 cents worth.  If I wasn't, I would not have posted it :).   I was polite to her on the hike but if she shows up on another of my hikes, I may not be so polite.   I did check in with my friends on the hike later in the week and they all agreed with me that she was highly annoying and seemed to lack a social filter.   

18 hours ago, Fantine said:

Oops, wrong order, but in any case, I also have this issue with people who let their dogs off leash when they are not supposed to and let their dogs go all over including up to people and potentially poop in the woods without picking it up because the dog is out of sight.  (don't get me wrong, I love dogs and own two, but they are always on leash in public).  I read a book once that said to be impeccable with my words, so I have practiced several lines for when I encounter such people.  This particular person would have driven me nuts on the hike as well, which would have made it totally un-fun.  I prefer to hike without other people or only with a friend or two.  It has become so crowded here that solitude in the wilderness is harder to find.  Fortunately it is the adventure for me, so I am not afraid to do off-the-beaten-path kinds of hikes, but my friend is an aspiring 46er, so she wants to do all the mountains everyone else wants to do.  Crowds and people bother her not one bit.

And those sound like well-earned cookies!

• Like 6
49 minutes ago, Lovingforboth said:

You are right,  there are two beaches that have imported sand. One of them is 'Calheta' and the other is 'Machico' (the later is divided in two, being the biggest extension made of its original pebbles)

They are nice beaches ... but I prefer nature walks in the Levadas or canyoning. :)

We stayed 4 days in Funchal and then 6 in the hills above Calheta. On the last day we had a paddle in/on Calheta's beach. It is obviously artificial. Not a problem because I too would rather be up in the hills or battling with Levadas. It was a 'courtesy' paddle, in truth.

• Like 9