anyone past 50 on here?

Sleepy Otter

We have turbine farms here.  I stopped while I was driving by once because I had always heard they are noisy - they are not.  Unless I was missing something from not living in close proximity, I could hear no noise, no hums, nothing.  It was quiet.  I don't know about flicker, but I imagine it is probably like having a tree blowing in the wind.  They move slowly (the big ones, not the little ones), so I imagine it would be less annoying than driving down a road with trees with shade and sun alternating quickly.  I think the farms look neat.  And likewise @Autumn Sunrise, I would rather live next to a wind farm than a power plant or mine.

Tequila for me please @cdrdash!  Glad you enjoyed your birthday hikes!

Handywoman caught my attention @daveb.  Probably means it will be done correctly the first time ; )  Glad things are coming along in your home process.  And I hope you find the "perfect" home for you (perfect is relative, of course).

• Like 7

I can understand turbines being contentious. By their very nature they need to be located in open areas with a clear airflow. However, unlike solar farms they can be located on say, grazing for sheep, with minimal disruption. Personally I like their aesthetic, but I wouldn't want them on every hillside. 

A thought. They're, big and prominent, so why has nobody tried selling advertising space on them? 

• Like 7
AllThisTime
10 hours ago, will123 said:

I think in most cases the property owners sign up for a 'royalty' to be paid each year. In the case of my grandparents' house the current owner has lived a threadbare existence (complained to my mother about the cost to heat it). It's a typical North American farm house built early in the 20th century. Insulation was an afterthought. They heated it with wood. Knowing it from my childhood, it wouldn't be up to modern standards nowadays unless someone took it upon themselves to properly insulate the house.

I wish older homes would be respected, just as we should be respecting our own elders; this is something that has sadly been lost for the most part. Maybe it has to do with the "altar of youth" and the view that aging means losing something, rather than gaining it.  

re: Renewable energy installations, there is so much holding us (ie. regular folk like you and me) back!  These installations are controlled by government regulations and usually big business with big pockets are the ones that get built.  It is an expensive investment that should be more actively supported. I'm not sure how it is in the US and Europe, but here in Ontario it is a real challenge to actually accomplish this.  We should be actively working towards renewable energy.

I am a member (board secretary) / have investments in a couple of renewable energy co-operatives - they are mostly solar installations that got enough points under the FIT program before it died - and I can see the locations where "my" energy is being produced. Which is the only way I can realistically do anything renewable.  It is unfortunate that the huge negative publicity re: turbines really had a negative impact on solar in Ontario at least.  Noise, negative health effects, even "stray voltage" which is a joke because your cattle wouldn't be standing around eating grass if that were the case!

I could go on... and on and on about this.

As it is, I survived turning 65 yesterday! so life is good.  Recycling the age of 30 seems to be working... :lol:

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

I can understand turbines being contentious. By their very nature they need to be located in open areas with a clear airflow. However, unlike solar farms they can be located on say, grazing for sheep, with minimal disruption. Personally I like their aesthetic, but I wouldn't want them on every hillside. 

A thought. They're, big and prominent, so why has nobody tried selling advertising space on them? 

Where I have seen the solar farms in Ontario, they are fenced off. No livestock allowed on the parcel even if it's in farm country.

We have some small installations of the type that can 'follow' the sun. They are usually located where they aren't readily visible.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, AllThisTime said:

As it is, I survived turning 65 yesterday! so life is good. 

Happy belated birthday!

Daffy-Duck-Cake.jpg

• Like 8
Gentle Giant

Sometimes I can see @cdrdash‘s photos from the links and sometimes not. Something comes up about viewing in app and doesn’t always work, but I think I just refesh the page and it will finally come up. I can see the photo of the vodka popsicles.

@Autumn Sunrise I don’t really see the wind turbines as eye sores either. Mom and I go by a huge field of them and she says they look ugly and wouldn’t want them on her property. In the article I read about the turbines the land owner was really P.O.d about the whole thing. The flicker wasn’t bothering them outside, it was in their own house. They would be trying look at a computer screen at a certain time of the day and the flicker would be flashing and being very annoying. Plus all the other issues I brought up before. I haven’t heard anything about negative health issues or stray voltages. Maybe certain models are noisy and others not?

@chandrakirti I would never buy a house a hoarder lived in! ICK! That would be a health hazard.

Some of my favorite Gilligan’s Island episodes are the one with the ghost, the mad scientist who switched the minds and bodies of the castaways, Gilligan’s knocked tooth and filling turns him into a radio, the rock band the Mosquitos who visit the island to get away from their fans.

My favorite Gilligan’s Island character is The Skipper. From favorite to least favorite is The Skipper, Gilligan, The Professor, Mary Ann, Mrs. Howell, Ginger, Mr. Howell. A close tie for dislike of the last 2 in last place, could alternate depending how I feel about them in an episode. Mr. Howell is greedy, underhanded, cowardly, lazy, but he can be quite funny. Ginger is shallow, conceited and boring. I remember when as kids my friends and I playing Gilligan’s Island and 2 sisters would fight over who got to be Ginger. I was thinking why would anyone want to be Ginger? I would be the Skipper most of the time or Gilligan and occassionally others at times to fill in the roles. With another friend I was Skipper and she was Gilligan. It was a lot of fun.

• Like 7

Happy belated birthday @AllThisTime@Gentle Giant's piano keys look delicious - my favourite chocolate is Milky Bars.

Despite some problems with them, I like wind farms. There are a couple of huge ones out in the estuary near me and I find it very soothing just staring out at them as they turn. Were you thinking of placing adverts on the rotor arms @Skycaptain? People would have to somersault all the time to read them. Not sure that would catch on.

• Like 11
BobRossRules
5 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

My favorite Gilligan’s Island character is The Skipper. From favorite to least favorite is The Skipper, Gilligan, The Professor, Mary Ann, Mrs. Howell, Ginger, Mr. Howell. A close tie for dislike of the last 2 in last place, could alternate depending how I feel about them in an episode. Mr. Howell is greedy, underhanded, cowardly, lazy, but he can be quite funny. Ginger is shallow, conceited and boring. I remember when as kids my friends and I playing Gilligan’s Island and 2 sisters would fight over who got to be Ginger. I was thinking why would anyone want to be Ginger? I would be the Skipper most of the time or Gilligan and occassionally others at times to fill in the roles. With another friend I was Skipper and she was Gilligan. It was a lot of fun.

I feel the same way!!  Ginger and Mr. Howell are my least favorite.  The Professor and Gilligan are my favorite.  Skipper, Mary Ann, and then Mrs. Howell.  When I was a kid, most girls favorite was Ginger, but I never understood why either.  I was Gilligan once for Halloween, and my ex was the Skipper.  I still have my Gilligan costume.  I use to have medium shaggy brown hair, so it worked.  With my dreads, I don't think I could make a go at Gilligan anymore.  

@AllThisTime Happy Birthday!!  I hope you had a great day!!

• Like 8

@AllThisTime, happy birthday and many happy returns for the day 🎉 🎉 🎂 🎂 

• Like 7
Gentle Giant

@faraday☘ We had a Gilligan’s Island day at work where we were supposed to dress up as our favorite character. Unfortunately I was off work that day. I would have dressed up as Gilligan! Other people suggested I be him too! (Even though Skipper’s my favorite I don’t look anything like him, but I look a lot like Gilligan and he’s a favorite too) I hadn’t heard if anyone did do the dress up. Not a lot of people even do the Halloween dress up. I thought about dressing up as Gilligan for Halloween, so I might do that yet if they have costume day for Halloween again. (They haven’t been doing that as much anymore.)

• Like 8

I liked the Professor, and also Mary Ann and Ginger (maybe the latter was more about wishing I could pull off that look :lol: ).

• Like 10
11 minutes ago, daveb said:

I liked the Professor, and also Mary Ann and Ginger (maybe the latter was more about wishing I could pull off that look :lol: ).

Not even going there...

• Like 8

Happy birthday, @AllThisTime! Multiple desserts for you. 🎂🍰🍦🍫🍩

Although as a kid I followed many other now-classic ‘60s shows, I never did watch Gilligan’s Island. Probably I was too busy with I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, That Girl, Batman, Get Smart, F Troop, My Three Sons, the Munsters, and the Brady Bunch. Not to mention the Flintstones. Yabbadabbadoo! :P

• Like 11
1 minute ago, Semisweet said:

Happy birthday, @AllThisTime! Multiple desserts for you. 🎂🍰🍦🍫🍩

Although as a kid I followed many other now-classic ‘60s shows, I never did watch Gilligan’s Island. Probably I was too busy with I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, That Girl, Batman, Get Smart, F Troop, My Three Sons, the Munsters, and the Brady Bunch. Not to mention the Flintstones. Yabbadabbadoo! :P

I watched the shows you list except for That Girl and My Three Sons. I would have to say Get Smart and I Dream of Jeannie would be the top 2. As I posted elsewhere I'm sure I had a crush on Shirley Jones when she was on the Partridge Family.

• Like 9
BobRossRules
20 minutes ago, daveb said:

You can, and better!!

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Although as a kid I followed many other now-classic ‘60s shows, I never did watch Gilligan’s Island. Probably I was too busy with I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, That Girl, Batman, Get Smart, F Troop, My Three Sons, the Munsters, and the Brady Bunch. Not to mention the Flintstones. Yabbadabbadoo! 

Same, for the bolded ones.  When my mom wasn’t around, my dad and I also watched Monty Python, the Goodies, and the Benny Hill Show.

• Like 11

I was in high school when I was exposed to Python and took to it LOL

I watched some of the other ones occasionally

Image result for larry storch

• Like 9
23 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Same, for the bolded ones.  When my mom wasn’t around, my dad and I also watched Monty Python, the Goodies, and the Benny Hill Show.

Loved Benny Hill.  But one of my favorites was The Beverly Hillbillies.

• Like 9
25 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Probably I was too busy with I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, That Girl, Batman, Get Smart, F Troop, My Three Sons, the Munsters, and the Brady Bunch.

I watched all of those, too. And The Addams Family. And Lost in Space. 

13 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

I watched those shows too!  They were awesome, but some were so sexist!:lol:

That's true.

At least That Girl was about a single woman living on her own with a good career. A forerunner to The Mary Tyler Moore Show, in that sense.

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Loved Benny Hill.  But one of my favorites was The Beverly Hillbillies.

Exactly!

Apparently it was my grandfather's too. But I think for the wrong reasons though. He was a backwoods farmer born in the 1890s with limited schooling, so he was probably looking at it from the Clampetts' viewpoint.

• Like 8

Oh, and I forgot the Patty Duke Show. Not sure the goofy premise of “identical cousins” would fly today. :lol:

• Like 7

I only got to watch the Beverly Hillbillies a couple of times.

We didn’t have a TV until I was 7 (very late ‘60s) so I was stuck with what my friends (parents) were watching...

• Like 6

Green Acres and to a lesser degree Petticoat Jct (purged along with The Beverley Hillbillies by CBS at the same time) 

Watched Rowan & Martin's Laugh In all the time with our parents. I'm sure there was some of the humour that went over our young heads.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, daveb said:

Those were my three favorites too. Least favorite was the Skipper.

Not sure if people have mentioned Hogan's Heroes yet; I quite liked that one.

I'm in Utah with a sinus infection, but I feel a lot better now than I did this morning.

• Like 9
21 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Those were my three favorites too. Least favorite is the Skipper.

Not sure if people have mentioned Hogan's Heroes yet; I quite liked that one.

I'm in Utah with a sinus infection, but I feel a lot better now than I did this morning.

We watched it with our father. He made it known early on that the show didn't reflect life in a POW camp.

• Like 8
Autumn Sunrise
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I watched those shows too!  They were awesome, but some were so sexist!:lol:

Agreed!

On "Gilligan", the Professor was definitely my favourite - probably because I wanted to be a scientist :D

1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

I only got to watch the Beverly Hillbillies a couple of times.

We didn’t have a TV until I was 7 (very late ‘60s) so I was stuck with what my friends (parents) were watching...

Same for me, but in my case it was going to a neighbour's place after school, and watching until it was time to go back and do my piano practice and homework. My sister and I used to watch the Mouseketeers there. We also watched "Fury" and "Leave it to Beaver" at my grandmother's place, when we were kids, and  paying a Sunday visit (I think the adults liked to get rid of us after tea, so they could have some adult time without having to watch everything they said in front of us :lol:. Later on, I enjoyed "The Brady Bunch" - I thought American kids were so cool :D I liked "The Waltons" too - it was so different from anything I had experienced! And "Hogan's Heroes" - that was just mad! Very funny, bt definitely not reflecting life in a POW camp :lol:

@AllThisTime I hope you had a great birthday :) 🎂

@pickles mcgee I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 8