anyone past 50 on here?

@warrior, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

Hope you have an enjoyable birthday and hike, @cdrdash:cake: :)

Welcome, @warrior:cake: :)

I’ve been on vacation this week and a couple days next week. (Do have to work this weekend) Is strange being off so many days in a row.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, cdrdash said:

On my birthday, Sunday, my plan is to go hiking at Mission Peak

Happy almost birthday!  I hope you get nice hiking weather.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, warrior said:

56 and still got it. Just can't remember where I put it. And if I find it, can't see it, anyway.

Welcome to AVEN!

• Like 6
4 hours ago, daveb said:

So young! :lol:

I'll try to remember this October when I turn 58.

• Like 9
18 minutes ago, will123 said:

I'll try to remember this October when I turn 58.

Another October "kid", eh? I know there are a few of us here. :) 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Tja said:

Happy National Puppy Day!dog_wagging.gif

Thank you.  today is about the tenth anniversary of when I picked out my last puppy!

Spring is the best time to get a new puppy!

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yays for puppies!😊

On the forced air front, all the houses in the area I live were built with it in 1989 but some folk have removed theirs and replaced it with radiators.

I still have it, because when I moved in (2014) the previous owner had left the equipment although they didn't actually use it themselves.

Mine's gas fired but I'd much rather have electric like yourself @Semisweet

Custard Cream
9 hours ago, daveb said:

Another October "kid", eh? I know there are a few of us here. :) 

I'm another one!

• Like 8
2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Mine's gas fired but I'd much rather have electric

Where I live heating with gas is a lot cheaper than heating with electricity.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

It is here in the UK, too. Not surprising, really, given that lots of electricity is generated by burning gas. And that process is only about 40% efficient - ie a gas-fired electricity generator creates electricity with the energy value of about 40% of the gas burnt (this might be different for industrial projects close to the generator, but its about right for household consumers at the end of the distribution grid).

• Like 8
AllThisTime
2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Electric is more expensive than gas here. My home was built with electric baseboard heating in 1974, so there is no duct work. However, because of this I am able to heat only the space I need heated directly. The only room upstairs that is actively heated is the bathroom. The warm air rising does the rest. And I wear sweaters!  

I'm also one of the few people in this part of the world who seems to be without AC in the summer..

7 hours ago, Tja said:

Happy National Puppy Day!dog_wagging.gif

I love the idea of puppies, but I must say I'm happy I've survived Wolfie's puppy years.  Wolfe is far too big a dog to have bad puppy manners! He is tall enough that his chin can just rest on the table ... and he used to try to get away with this.  He's 8 now and I realize that a big dog like his husky / shepherd self is now heading into his senior years.  I doubt I will get a puppy again; there are far too many older rescue dogs that need homes.

https://imgur.com/a/eYsLexi   (hope this works) ;)

@warrior  Welcome to you!  Hope you like cake ..  :cake: :cake: :cake:

• Like 8
4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Same in Ontario! Much cheaper to heat with natural gas or propane.

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, will123 said:

Propane is pretty cheap here, relatively speaking, but you (often have to pay extra for the kit for your furnace, and) have the nuisance of dealing with delivery (and being sure you don’t run out) instead of a piped-in, endless supply.  Most people here who go with propane live in (typically rural) areas where there isn’t residential gas service.

• Like 7
46 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Propane is pretty cheap here, relatively speaking, but you (often have to pay extra for the kit for your furnace, and) have the nuisance of dealing with delivery (and being sure you don’t run out) instead of a piped-in, endless supply.  Most people here who go with propane live in (typically rural) areas where there isn’t residential gas service.

Yes we switched over to propane a couple of years ago. We live in a rural setting so a lot of people have gone with it. We supplement it with a wood furnace (we can cut our own firewood). The propane replaced an electric furnace which was our secondary source of heat (after the wood furnace).

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, will123 said:

We live in a rural setting so a lot of people have gone with it.

That’s very common here as well.  I live right in the middle of suburbia so every house has natural gas service...  along with the gas furnace, I also have a gas water heater, cooktop, and clothes dryer.

• Like 5
AllThisTime
1 hour ago, will123 said:

I'm in a smallish town in Ontario and other than running a gas line for a gas fireplace / space heater, I guess I'm stuck with the electric baseboards... sigh. I did check into a solar array on the roof when the Green Energy Act made it worthwhile, but in order to get enough sun, they suggested I take down the big maple tree.  um, no! The is the tree that saves me from frying in the summer. 

I find it interesting to hear the various ways people heat and cool their homes, depending on where they live. 

• Like 7
27 minutes ago, AllThisTime said:

I'm in a smallish town in Ontario and other than running a gas line for a gas fireplace / space heater, I guess I'm stuck with the electric baseboards... sigh. I did check into a solar array on the roof when the Green Energy Act made it worthwhile, but in order to get enough sun, they suggested I take down the big maple tree.  um, no! The is the tree that saves me from frying in the summer. 

I find it interesting to hear the various ways people heat and cool their homes, depending on where they live. 

The idiot that owns my grandparents' farmhouse had solar panels installed on the roof. Apparently he got a single payment for the project...

• Like 6
BobRossRules

A holiday for puppies!  I had no idea.  I spent puppy day with my pups, so it was well celebrated.

I'm an October baby too!!

Last spring my neighborhood endured a hailstorm.  It damaged my house significantly.  My roof had to be replaced.  However, not too long ago, I noticed that something was leaking.  They came back out, and now the whole roof needs to be replaced again.  They didn't place the under-layer properly.  Anyway, they will have to replace all the rotting and moldy wood in the attic as well as some insulation.  Fortunately, it didn't leak into the walls of the house.  What a pain!  At least I won't have a bill.

This morning I watched a Gilligan's Island reunion on YouTube.  I loved that show!!  Anyway, the character who played The Professor, referenced himself as being asexual and was not interested in the women on the Island.  I thought that was kinda interesting.  That reunion aired in 1998.:)

• Like 11
9 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Mine's gas fired but I'd much rather have electric like yourself @Semisweet

The grass is always greener...:P My home is all electric so I don’t know how gas systems compare in cost or quality. I do know the electric heat dissipates almost as soon as my system’s heat cycle turns off.  We had steam radiators when I was a kid and they kept things much cozier in that regard.

Funny though, before buying my current home I’d had only gas stoves and was apprehensive about adjusting to an electric one, till a friend who made a similar move expressed relief because she’d always worried that her gas stove might blow up.  -_-

Welcome to @warrior and happy birthday to @cdrdash!

• Like 8
28 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

I'm an October baby too!!

:D

28 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

This morning I watched a Gilligan's Island reunion on YouTube.  I loved that show!!  Anyway, the character who played The Professor, referenced himself as being asexual and was not interested in the women on the Island.  I thought that was kinda interesting.  That reunion aired in 1998.:)

Cool. Yeah, I could see that.

We were talking about Gilligan's Island in the 60's music thread, too. That's where I learned Bob Denver fought to have the Professor and Mary Ann added to the theme song (the theme song for the first season just referred to them as "the rest"). Nice guy to stick up for his co-stars.

I have an early memory of my parents watching Gilligan's Island (when it was originally airing), while I was in my bed that was on the other side of the wall between my bedroom and the living room, so I could hear it pretty clearly. But at that time I had never seen the show so I was only picturing how the people looked. When I first actually saw the show I realized they didn't look like what I had pictured (can't remember how I pictured them now, just that it was different).

• Like 10

@faraday☘, that sucks about the roof work not being done properly the first time. I hope they get it right now and it then holds up well for a long time. I’ll be getting some roof work done soon too and I know no one who is 100% happy with their roofing contractor.

• Like 9
26 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

You had to bring up desert islands...

A female friend who I recently came out to asexual recently made a comment that kind of upset set me.

We were talking on the phone and she made a comment about me and two girls on a desert island. I quickly said I don't even want to go there as I doubt anything would (or looking back, could) happen. She said she meant it as a joke. 

I don't think she was trying to be mean, maybe she didn't realise that I would react so strongly to something so innocuous or hypothetical. I probably did overreact but I know in my head I couldn't do something like that.

She probably just figured it would be every guy's fantasy (she has two brothers).

Does anyone recall reacting strongly/badly to something that a friend meant as a joke even though they knew you were asexual?

• Like 7
BobRossRules
15 minutes ago, daveb said:

We were talking about Gilligan's Island in the 60's music thread, too. That's where I learned Bob Denver fought to have the Professor and Mary Ann added to the theme song (the theme song for the first season just referred to them as "the rest"). Nice guy to stick up for his co-stars.

Yeah, the cast mentioned that during the interview.  I watched the show so many times as a kid, I could almost predict the next episode.  I thought I was psychic back then.:D

Happy Birthday @cdrdash

900_7074960ZCq_hiking-birthday-cake.jpg

Welcome @warrior  I had a horse named Warrior once.  

2 minutes ago, will123 said:

Does anyone recall reacting strongly/badly to something that a friend meant as a joke even though they knew you were asexual?

I get that with some online friends.  It aggravates me.  I'm teased for being vegan as well, and the jokes are usually in bad taste.  

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, will123 said:

I can't say I have. (but I don't have many friends or many that know I'm ace; not that I'm hiding it, but it doesn't come up much)

2 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

I had a horse named Warrior once.  

Oh, I didn't know you had a horse once. Did you ride it? (I know you can ride :) 

• Like 6