anyone past 50 on here?

16 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Actually, we probably all do have arthritis of at least one kind or another, whether we're conscious of (or bothered by) it or not -- it's a standard hazard of reaching this age range. Speaking of which, I've newly graduated to the next decade and might wander over to the 60s forum to poke my head in.🙂

As the resident young one of the 50's thread, I will add that I have arthritis in my knees and back, and my wife has psoriatic arthristis. I think it's more common for those in the 30's range than most people think.

• Like 5
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@chandrakirti, the way that's been told makes me wonder if there's more to "made redundant" than meets the eye, not least because in UK employment law if a position which was made redundant becomes available within six months it must first be offered to the person laid off.

Yes @Skycaptain, one of my colleagues opened up her email inbox today ans scrolled back 2 weeks  ...the job was advertised while this person was on sick leave! Something has indeed 'gone down' ..... it's more than just a 'redundancy'. Imagine seeing your job being advertised then coming back to work and being let go like that! We're all speculating...another theory is that the 2 weeks sick time was the initial reaction to being let go. In any case, it sucks!

@Spotastic, I'm sorry for any younger person with Psoriatic arthritis - very tough to deal with.

@ryn2 & @Muledeer, yes 'redundancy' is a UK term for lay off. A bit like 'human resources' replaced 'personnel....😣

The term 'downsized' gets tossed around, too, when reasons are given for letting an employee go.  Silly...but that's political correctness for you - never let a negative word be uttered when something vague will suffice in its place.

Getting closer to the Thanksgiving festivities.  Ugh.  I don't want them.  The BF and I have to appear at his sister's place the actual day of, for food and lots of surface conversation.  Is there anything worse than small talk?

Friday I may have a bit of a breather, as the BF has to work the early shift.  I'll have some time to play with jumprings or just veg before he comes home and we have the evening together.

Then Saturday, I have to drive a couple of towns over to meet the Ex and my youngest son and celebrate his 19th birthday in a gaming establishment of his choosing...so more loud noise and lots of people.

Sunday will be more work, probably on the basement tearing out walls.

Happy T-Day for everyone out there celebrating it this week!

• Like 8
23 hours ago, daveb said:

Not in the case I mentioned. He sucked up to people above him, but everyone below him knew what an outstanding human being he was. :P 

I didn't know that you had worked in the same department as me :P. My general supervisor would've laid off his grandmother if it had helped his career. I'll just say that in the years since, the existence of karma has been proven.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, will123 said:

I'll just say that in the years since, the existence of karma has been proven.

ditto :) 

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yes, @daveb & @will123, in most cases, they eventually stuff up and get the boot courtesy of karma. They get cocky with power and begin to think they're untouchable! Even that expert Dexter (ficitonal though he may be) got his comeuppance and had to start from scratch...

Happy thanksgiving to all (particularly the reluctant celebrators @EarthMama- hope it passes swiftly for you)

Glad it's half way through the week. I got a shed load of rogue orders yesterday, just unceremoniously dumped on my desk. Not one had enough of the required detail to actually process, so this was like wading through treacle. Spent the whole day fuming.

We get paid next Wednesday, it's been a 5 week month, then we get paid again three weeks later, early for Xmas, so it'll feel like I'm flush. Depending on what's in the coffer by January, I might just make a swift exit and live off my savings for another while.

See you later!

This could be interesting. We have an air frost yet it is raining. Black ice alert. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

This could be interesting. We have an air frost yet it is raining. Black ice alert. 

We have snow.  *sigh*

• Like 4

We have a three day snowstorm scheduled, starting tomorrow.  I plan on eating turkey with friends in Utah for Thanksgiving this year.

I saw a post from @Tanwen this morning "Missed my AVENersary"  and realized that, indeed, TODAY is my third AVENersary!  

• Like 10
6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Black ice - that stuff is nightmarish!  

I got caught on a patch of that stuff, ended up spinning my car 360 and landing in a shallow ditch.  After sitting for a minute listening to my heart try to hammer itself out of my chest, I gingerly eased it out of the ditch and went on my way.

I can still remember flashes, even though this happened 30 years ago.  I remember the tail end of the car suddenly whipping to the left.  I remember the mailbox on the right (missed it!) and the truck coming toward me on the left (missed that, too!).  I remember thinking I'll never know if it's a boy or a girl (was around 6 months pregnant at the time), and I remember putting in the clutch after I'd stopped.  The last thing I remember was seeing the squad car driving toward the location of my incident after I'd driven away from it.

• Like 9

Time slows down in a spin, I swear.  I remember going around and around one time and looking at all the trees wondering which one I would hit.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

We get paid next Wednesday, it's been a 5 week month, then we get paid again three weeks later, early for Xmas, so it'll feel like I'm flush. Depending on what's in the coffer by January, I might just make a swift exit and live off my savings for another while.

That might be good if you can swing it. :) 

I may get the house to myself for Thanksgiving. In any case, I am planning to cook a turkey breast and side dishes and hope to enjoy a nice quiet day alone. :D 

Black ice sounds scary! I'm glad you all survived your encounters with minimal damage if any. I haven't had to do much driving in snow or ice. There was one time when I was in grad school where I did have to drive in snow and ended up sliding across an intersection with no real control over the slide. I was making a left turn at an intersection. Fortunately I was going pretty slow to start with and traffic was practically non-existent. I ended up just bumping up pretty softly against the curb after sliding through the intersection at an angle.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, EarthMama said:

I can still remember flashes, even though this happened 30 years ago.  I remember the tail end of the car suddenly whipping to the left.  I remember the mailbox on the right (missed it!) and the truck coming toward me on the left (missed that, too!).  I remember thinking I'll never know if it's a boy or a girl (was around 6 months pregnant at the time), and I remember putting in the clutch after I'd stopped.  The last thing I remember was seeing the squad car driving toward the location of my incident after I'd driven away from it.

That certainly qualifies as a traumatic experience, so getting flashbacks makes sense. Unfortunately, you will likely always get them. A lot of people who might get into a situation like that wouldn't want to drive again.

1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

Time slows down in a spin, I swear.  I remember going around and around one time and looking at all the trees wondering which one I would hit.

Technically, it does. Like Einstein has proven, time is relative, and while you're experiencing something like that your adrenaline goes, you become hyper-aware of everything, and so things effectively move slower for you.

So, my sister has done it again... She brought home a 6 month old blue heeler last night, despite her wife telling her numerous reasons why this house should not have a puppy. Less than a week ago, my niece took one of the cats, forced it into her backpack, and zipped it shut while laughing at its struggles to get free. I heard an angry cat growl from my room and went over to check, asking if she had a cat in her craft room area, which of course she told me he left already. I pull the blanket she had covering the wiggling backpack, retrieve the cat, and get her step-mom to handle it because I'm too pissed. And that's just one reason not to have a puppy. Less than a year ago, we had to get rid of the last puppy my sister brought home despite everyone else's protests because he was getting bigger, more destructive because he wasn't able to be properly trained, and too much for my nephew to handle. Getting rid of the dog that she loved, especially because he looked very much like an old dog of hers, was also quite traumatic for my wife; having another dog in the house so soon is not good for her in any way. And then there's the fact that puppies want to play with my dog because she's small, but she's old, crippled, and cranky. She had to nip at the puppy to get him to back off momentarily, until I was able to pull him away myself. This will cause her all of the same stress and anxiety that the last dog did...

At least I have a therapist appointment in 3 hours... :unsure:

• Like 8
19 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

That certainly qualifies as a traumatic experience, so getting flashbacks makes sense. Unfortunately, you will likely always get them. A lot of people who might get into a situation like that wouldn't want to drive again.

I think of the incident more along the lines of "you will always remember the events that were present in your life when the Shuttle exploded" or "911 happened," rather than PTSD or flashbacks that prevent an activity.  It did give me a bit of practical experience in how to handle a car that is suddenly out of your control, and greater understanding of my Dad's speech when I was learning to drive.  He told me "You're in control of a 1 ton killing machine...don't let it." 

Sounds like your household is ramping up some serious stressors - so hugs in advance.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, EarthMama said:

I think of the incident more along the lines of "you will always remember the events that were present in your life when the Shuttle exploded" or "911 happened," rather than PTSD or flashbacks that prevent an activity.

Same!

Ugh, @Spotastic!  There’s little more frustrating than irresponsible animal husbandry, and it’s made all the worse by how it upsets your wife (and by extension you) as well as traumatizing the pets.  :(

• Like 6

Good news from the San Francisco Bay area.  We have rain and the bad air quality is gone today!   

US folks, are you doing anything special for Thanksgiving tomorrow?  I'm going to my brother's house where I just found out it will be a meatless Thanksgiving feast.   The main dish will be a tofu dish.   I'll miss having some turkey on Thanksgiving but the main thing I like about Thanksgiving is getting together with friends and/or relatives and enjoying the company so a lack of turkey won't be a problem for me.  Also I am going to a 2nd Thanksgiving feast on Saturday night with my good friend, Sharon, and she is cooking a turkey!!

Cathy

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hope the black ice doesn't develop, crossed fingers @Skycaptain. I wonder what it's like to skid on a bicycle? Theory only @EarthMama...!

Sounds like a relaxing and happy thanksgiving @daveb.

Hurrah for cleansing rain @cdrdash, hope the area recovers quickly, but it must be hard to see areas of devastation.

Some people just shouldn't have pets @Spotastic, it sounds a bit like an animal hoarding situation. Maybe you could let them know that what they're doing is cruel and there are authorities that would deal sharply with that behaviour. We used to have a neighbour in London who would buy pedigree puppies online then throw them away a few months afterwards. She was well known to Battersea Dogs' Home because a worker lived nearby. Eventually a warning was issued, as she was trying to re-sell them onwards when she became bored with them. The online animal trade is vile. Imagine being passed from hand to hand for years.

Gosh yes @ryn2, time is flexible when something scary is happening. 

@chandrakirti, I've skidded on a bike. It's less painful if can time the fall to be onto grass rather than the road.

@Spotastic, that sort of behaviour sucks, bad for people and animals

I've only had that "time stands still" moment once, which resulted in a bicycle - car argument, that me as the cyclist lost 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

I've only had that "time stands still" moment once,

I’ve had it a few times... some

near-miss accidents (bad weather) and a trip-and-fall while running.

Some of the cyclists around here have winter tires on their bikes.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Tja said:

Happy AVENversary, @Muledeer!

oops, forgot to respond 

Happy AVENversary, @Muledeer! Have some :cake:

I enjoy your contributions here and your wildlife and scenic pics and all that. :D 

I have slid on pavement on a bicycle. Not on ice but on oil slick streets wet with fresh rain. Aside from the dangers of collisions with cars, another hazard is "road rash".

• Like 6

@chandrakirti Animal hoarding is definitely the term that my wife and I have used to describe my sister. She's also very volatile and will explode when confronted with anything that she might have done wrong. It's a serious problem and the only real reason that we feel like we need to leave this place - whether purposely or not, my sister is abusive and cannot be dealt with rationally. It's the exact same situation we were dealing with with my mother-in-law before we had to leave Texas, only my sister isn't also physically abusive. 

• Like 8

Sorry you have to deal with that, @Spotastic. If I hit the lottery, you can have a secluded plot, and a cabin, on the land I buy. 👍

• Like 7

Annoyed by someone who keeps telling me they will be doing something only to change their mind later. I'd rather they just stop telling me at all so I don't get my hopes up and start making plans. :angry:

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, daveb said:

Annoyed by someone who keeps telling me they will be doing something only to change their mind later. I'd rather they just stop telling me at all so I don't get my hopes up and start making plans. :angry:

That would drive me nuts too!  :mad:

• Like 6

This is like the 4th or 5th time just this month. :( 

And I know if I say anything or even act the least bit unhappy about it it will just stir up a lot of anger. So I just have to sit here and pretend it's all fine.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, daveb said:

That's another thing my sister does. She'll have 10 different plans and only do one of then, and then do 4 more completely different things from her original plans.

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, daveb said:

This is like the 4th or 5th time just this month. :( 

And I know if I say anything or even act the least bit unhappy about it it will just stir up a lot of anger. So I just have to sit here and pretend it's all fine.

Frustrating!!

• Like 5

@Muledeer Happy AVEN anniversary!!  We're expecting rain, but it might be kinda slushy or snowy mix.  Next week, however, it's suppose to snow for 6 days in a row.  I guess I'll have to get out my snow skate and do some messing around in my backyard which has a little hill.  

@Spotastic Oh gosh, I'm sorry about the puppy.  Reading about the poor kitty triggered me as well.  It really makes me angry and breaks my heart when animals are mistreated, Poor kitty.  And poor puppy.  

@daveb Despite the disappointment, I hope you enjoy Thanksgiving and good luck preparing your feast.  

I'm going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving.  It will be a vegan Thanksgiving.  She will have some turkey for her boyfriend, but all the fixings will be vegan.  Very thoughtful of her considering she's not vegan!

I hope everyone is having a great week, and for those who celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

• Like 8