anyone past 50 on here?

"With friends like these

Who needs enemies?" 

Oft used, and far too apt at times phrase

• Like 8

Last week was kind of hectic and didn't have a chance to answer a question that was posed to me.

Yes I hope to keep in touch with my childhood friend. I gave him my phone number and he said he'll visit the area now that he knows he has a rest stop in my village.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, will123 said:

... She took it upon herself to tell my mother in 2010 that I was gay.

That is so wrong. 😖

... That and dealing with at the time my father's recent death did not go over to well.

Sorry, not understanding again. With whom did it “not go over very well”, do you mean with your mother? 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Thea2 said:

Sorry, not understanding again. With whom did it “not go over very well”, do you mean with your mother? 

My mother in the first place. My brother when she (mother) told him. I guess he was so upset he started crying. And me for her (sister in law) not minding her fucking business.

(pardon my French)

• Like 7

I never get why people think it’s their job (or their right) to out others.  Sure, people slip up sometimes... but it should never happen willfully.

Um, no pun intended?

• Like 8
On 9/23/2018 at 5:09 AM, chandrakirti said:

Daughter pressing for Kazhakstan (it's the only ex USSR place she can now go safely, plus it is like a Switzerland on the Steppes).

I don't know how much it's changed since '98, but when I was in high school I had to make a travel brochure for Kazakhstan. From what I researched on the country, I couldn't find much reason that anybody would want to go there, so I made a satirical brochure. My teacher didn't have much of a sense of humor and gave me a D on it. Everybody else loved it, though. :lol:

• Like 9
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Spotastic satirical brochures are right up my street! I think perhaps I'm not too interested in going there myself , even if it was on the old silk road. Now, Kyrgyzstan...that might be a much better deal! Negotiations continue...

Geez @will123, they say you can pick your friends but not your relatives...I'm so glad there's only two of us left!

It seems the UK has been gripped by a drama called 'The Bodyguard'...I have to catch up on it, as I saw the first 10 minutes and it left me feeling like a wrung out tea towel!

3 hours ago, Spotastic said:

I don't know how much it's changed since '98, but when I was in high school I had to make a travel brochure for Kazakhstan. From what I researched on the country, I couldn't find much reason that anybody would want to go there, so I made a satirical brochure. My teacher didn't have much of a sense of humor and gave me a D on it. Everybody else loved it, though. :lol:

Were you a writer for Borat?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Geez @will123, they say you can pick your friends but not your relatives...I'm so glad there's only two of us left!

Ever since they got married and then after my nephew was born she has been nasty to my parents. Then when her mother died she seems to hold it against everyone else.

Tried to to intrude on my father's funeral plans even though they had been pre-arranged. She wouldn't speak to me or my mother for about six months.

• Like 5

That’s very odd.  People are... unique sometimes.

Sadly, it never seems like the ones you’d be cheerfully rid of and the ones who want to be rid of you are the same.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, will123 said:

My mother in the first place. My brother when she (mother) told him. I guess he was so upset he started crying. And me for her (sister in law) not minding her fucking business.

(pardon my French)

Gosh, my French must be improving, because I really get that. :lol: 

That must have been a very difficult time for you. Did she ever realize it wasn’t right to have done that?

1 hour ago, will123 said:

... Then when her mother died she seems to hold it against everyone else ...

That’s just weird.  

It’s so complicated, dealing with other people. I just dumped my family of birth, but of course that has it’s disadvantages too. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, will123 said:

Were you a writer for Borat?

I've still never seen the movie, but I can certainly see how the writers had plenty to draw on. I wonder if actual Kazakhstanis would hate it or enjoy it for what it is.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

I've still never seen the movie, but I can certainly see how the writers had plenty to draw on. I wonder if actual Kazakhstanis would hate it or enjoy it for what it is.

Right after I wrote this I found this article. It seems some Kazakhs actually want him to be made an honorary citizen. :lol:

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Thea2 said:

That must have been a very difficult time for you. Did she ever realize it wasn’t right to have done that?

Oh she knew exactly what she was doing. Her family takes an inordinate interest in other peoples' business.

She more or less got pissy because my folks had/have no plans for all the 'fooferall' (as a family friend called it) of a tradition funeral. Just a private graveside service.

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, will123 said:

Oh she knew exactly what she was doing. Her family takes an inordinate interest in other peoples' business.

She more or less got pissy because my folks had/have no plans for all the 'fooferall' (as a family friend called it) of a tradition funeral. Just a private graveside service.

Ha, ha, fooferal, that’s a funny word. :lol: Re. my family of birth, I went with “Let the dead bury the dead.”

• Like 6

Talking about having problems with dealing with people. There was a neighborhood meeting today, I did everything wrong that I’d prepped myself not to do. By the end all the people there hated me, convinced I am a ghastly, horrid old person that hates young people (long story that will remain untold). Did meet some nice new people too, then messed that up too (another long story that will remain untold). So all in all not the best of days.  I feel like crawling in a corner and never face people again. 😳

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

Talking about having problems with dealing with people. There was a neighborhood meeting today, I did everything wrong that I’d prepped myself not to do. By the end all the people there hated me, convinced I am a ghastly, horrid old person that hates young people (long story that will remain untold). Did meet some nice new people too, then messed that up too (another long story that will remain untold). So all in all not the best of days.  I feel like crawling in a corner and never face people again. 😳

For what it’s worth, @Thea2, I still like you.  :)

Days like that suck.

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, will123 said:

@Thea2 hey 'crap happens'.

🤣 Thanks, yes, you can say that again. Sigh, been mulling it over for hours, now it’s 3 am here and I’m going to sleep. Hopefully I will have forgotten about it by tomorrow. 😕

5 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

For what it’s worth, @Thea2, I still like you.  :)

Days like that suck.

Oh ... thank you. 😊 ha, ha, I will keep that in mind and sleep like a baby. 💤😴

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

convinced I am a ghastly, horrid old person that hates young people

Cue the Clint Eastwood "Get off my lawn!" video. 😉

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, will123 said:

Cue the Clint Eastwood "Get off my lawn!" video. 😉

🤣 ha, ha, yes. I don’t know that movie, but the title says it all, I can just imagine. 😅 It’s actually nothing like that, they’re going to build new flats.

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

sleep like a baby. 💤😴

Oh my, don't say that!

Spoiler

It reminds me of an incident back in the 80s when I was an apprentice. One of the group leaders (or gruppenfuhrers as we called them since a lot were German), who also happened to be a neighbour of ours was supposed to have been a member of the Waffen SS. I don't know how true it was but I'm sure his personality and size would've been perfect. I'm 6' 2" and he towered over me.

Well one day, one of the journeymen screwed up a job and after everything was straightened out, the gruppenfuhrer picked up the apple and filleting knife he had been holding. Pointing the knife at the flustered guy and yammering about the fiasco, he says in a thick German accent, "I could slit your throat and still sleep like a baby!"

To this day when I hear Sympathy For The Devil by the Rolling Stones, I think of Lothar. I can easily picture him in eastern Europe during WWII with a flamethrower setting little houses on fire.

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

🤣 ha, ha, yes. I don’t know that movie, but the title says it all, I can just imagine. 😅 It’s actually nothing like that, they’re going to build new flats.

If you don't mind explicit language search Youtube for the phrase. 😉

• Like 4
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Geez @will123 it's much better if a relative like that one never speaks to you or your mother again! Could that be organised? I'm sure there's something you could do to keep her away forever....

One of my colleagues was talking about how we should be doing the Euromillions lottery last week, then there was a news report that a local person has claimed their share of the winnings....and she didn't come to work yesterday! I suspect she's in Wales doing some hill walking with her sister though. 😄

Happy Tuesday!

Euromillions share of the winnings = £2.60

• Like 7
10 hours ago, will123 said:

If you don't mind explicit language search Youtube for the phrase. 😉

Omg, his face! It’s hilarious 😆 

4 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Euromillions share of the winnings = £2.60

Ha, ha, spend it wisely 🤣

• Like 7

I can't even buy 2litres of fuel with it 😋 😋 

• Like 4