anyone past 50 on here?

To Each Their Own
4 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

I was hoping I would never get called for jury service but the age here in the UK was raised to 75 in December 2016 so I still might get called. I ihate the thought of sitting in judgement on people but I suppose that it's a better system than having one possibly bribable and/or bigoted person in the chair. I'm sorry to read about your injuries @To Each Their Own. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

Thank you! My doctors have told me that I should expect a full recovery by 2020. It’s slow going, but I do have a positive attitude and I’m just happy that it wasn’t worse.😀

• Like 10

@To Each Their Own, your positive attitude after such an awful event is admirable; best wishes with your rehab and recovery. 

2 hours ago, teatree said:

Can't convict on "probably," just because you think the defendant is a scumbag. 

That was the outcome in a rape case I served on; the defendant was a scumbag for sure, but there was too little evidence for us to convict him. I was also a juror in a medical malpractice case in which neither side was happy with our verdict. And an assault case I was an alternate on was so flimsy that it annoyed me that taxpayer money was being spent prosecuting it. :mad: All in all, I've found jury service to be illuminating and important, but also frustrating and sobering. You do get a peek at some aspects of humanity that you might otherwise never see. 

• Like 9
To Each Their Own
2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

@To Each Their Own, your positive attitude after such an awful event is admirable; best wishes with your rehab and recovery. 

That was the outcome in a rape case I served on; the defendant was a scumbag for sure, but there was too little evidence for us to convict him. I was also a juror in a medical malpractice case in which neither side was happy with our verdict. And an assault case I was an alternate on was so flimsy that it annoyed me that taxpayer money was being spent prosecuting it. :mad: All in all, I've found jury service to be illuminating and important, but also frustrating and sobering. You do get a peek at some aspects of humanity that you might otherwise never see. 

Thank you for your best wishes.

And I also want to thank you for your insightful comments on your jury service. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Fair warning @daveb.:P

Maybe I should wear my rain pants... 

5 hours ago, teatree said:

interesting process

I thought it was interesting, too (but not necessarily enjoyable - although I didn't mind getting out of my regular job and still getting paid). I was on a few different cases, from animal abuse to solicitation to theft. I was happy to see that the jurors I encountered took the job seriously and tried to do their best. On the longest case (lasted around 2.5 weeks) we got to know each other pretty well and had some camaraderie, too.

I also had some interesting experiences with how things were run. In the bigger city where I served a few times they had such a full docket they ran out of courtrooms and once or twice had to walk us down to a local hotel where they had some of the hotel rooms set up as courtrooms (although I don't remember if that was for jury selection or for the actual trial). In a smaller town the courthouse also housed some other city stuff, like local police headquarters. It was pretty casual, too. They let all prospective jurors go on lunch break. It was within a few blocks of my house, so I went home for lunch. When I returned to the courthouse after lunch I found the door to the jury room was closed and locked, with a hand-written note taped to the door saying all prospective jurors were excused and had fulfilled our obligation.

The alternate jurors I have known have said it was kind of annoying/frustrating, in that they had to listen to all of the testimony in case they were needed, but then had to stay out of jury deliberations, and yet still be available to step in if needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if "they" somehow track people that are more likely to be able to serve, since we often got called when I worked for the university. And I recall plenty of government workers, retirees, and students, among the prospective jurors whenever I got called in.

My mother got a long term exemption when I was a little kid, because she showed up one time with me and my siblings in tow. There would have been at least 4 of us at them time, all in elementary school or younger, and daycare wasn't really an option in those days (especially not on my dad's salary at the time).

I'm glad I did my part in the past, but won't mind if I never get called again. :) 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Semisweet said:

I agree! An awful event, and a good positive attitude! More best wishes on your rehab and recovery, too!

• Like 6

In Ontario property owners are 'summoned' for jury duty (ACTUALLY I MAY BE WRONG ON THIS AS IN THE EARLY 80S I HADN'T BOUGHT MY HOUSE). I was called twice. First time in the 80s show up along with around 150 people each Monday for a month. One jury picked for a trial.

Second time I was called was in the 90s. I was excused along with three other persons and the judge knew the pay would mess up our unemployment benefits (on short term layoff). 

Here certain professions are excused from serving but it is pretty difficult for the average homeowner to avoid it. Mind you if you just rent your housing, you won't get a summons to appear for the jury pool. I'm not sure how this compares to the other Canadian provinces.

Edited by will123
Correction
  • Like 5
10 hours ago, Semisweet said:

If courts offered a blanket exemption from jury service for all working people, they'd have a tough time filling juries. Even as it is, I imagine a sizable percentage of people who get summoned don't show up. That's not to say it isn't a hardship in various ways for many working people to serve, plus jury pay is a pittance.  

Where I worked it didn't affect your pay. Others aren't so lucky. I don't recall the pay I got back in the 80s, but I'm thinking it was around minimum wage.

• Like 5

Just property owners? Seems a bit feudal or something. :P 

Can't have those peasants who don't own property making decisions in legal cases.

In the US my understanding is any citizen can be summoned and most places get their lists of potential jurors from a combination of voter rolls and driver's licenses (and state IDs?). So you'd have to never vote (or even register) and never drive (or get a state ID?).

Just now, will123 said:

I don't recall the pay I got back in the 80s, but I'm thinking it was around minimum wage.

In the US it seems the standard "pay" is something more on the order of $5 or $10 per day (once you actually get on a jury).

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

Just property owners? Seems a bit feudal or something. :P 

Can't have those peasants who don't own property making decisions in legal cases.

In the US my understanding is any citizen can be summoned and most places get their lists of potential jurors from a combination of voter rolls and driver's licenses (and state IDs?). So you'd have to never vote (or even register) and never drive (or get a state ID?).

In the US it seems the standard "pay" is something more on the order of $5 or $10 per day (once you actually get on a jury).

Probably a holdover from the English judicial system. There has been talk about reforming the selection process. There is enough grumbling from those of us that 'qualify' now, I can't imagine the hue and cry from the rest of the population when they get called.

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

@To Each Their Own That is terrible someone ran over you and fled the scene! I hope your recovery goes well and comes soon!

I had been summoned for jury duty 2 times and was excused because I’m hearing impaired. I’m relieved I didn't have to do it. Would have been very stressful, especially with hearing difficulties.

• Like 6
To Each Their Own
11 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

@To Each Their Own, that's a horrible thing to do to anyone, i hope the person gets their just desserts for that. Sending you all the best for a speedy recovery.

While I’m not happy about being run over, I’m OK about not knowing who did it. I believe that the Universe has a way of taking care of things whether or not I ever know about it. 

I really do appreciate the well wishes. I can use them. 

• Like 9
8 hours ago, To Each Their Own said:

Every time I get summoned for jury duty I try very hard to get on the jury. I want to see what it is like so bad! I’m 0/5 so far. 😔

Am I seriously the only one here that thinks jury duty is cool as shit? (At least while we still have the right to it, because the way things are going in the US…who knows.)

I think the process would be really interesting and would definitely apply if I was between jobs.  It’s more the inconvenience of missing work/potentially getting sequestered...

• Like 5
1 hour ago, daveb said:

It’s $40/day here if your employer doesn’t pay you.  I guess we’re fortunate?  :)

• Like 4
8 hours ago, To Each Their Own said:

I was recently run over by a car, both of my legs are broken and I’m in a rehab facility trying to learn to use my legs again.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• Like 5
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

It’s $40/day here if your employer doesn’t pay you.  I guess we’re fortunate?  :)

It's been a while since I had to serve so I looked it up. Apparently in California it is now $15.00 per day and $0.34 per mile, one way for the second day of service and every day thereafter. And in Oregon it is $10/day for the first 2 days and then $25/day after that, with 20 cents a mile round trip.

1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

From our walk along the river.

Nice pics!

(that's @pickles mcgee with @faraday☘) :D 

• Like 7

@To Each Their Own, here's a 🎂 🎂 to assist your recovery

For people who are self employed if we get summonsed for jury service, not only are we unable to serve customers, potentially permanently losing them as clients, but we have fixed costs, such as transport, tools etc which don't go away if we are unable to work for a week 

• Like 9

Festival finally finished, sigh of relief; I was living in a thundercloud of noise for a week. Now they’re clearing away the sea of rubbish.

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I can identify with that @Thea2, some of our lovely river here has still to be cleaned after last weekend's festival. The bit that is done does look good though!

Sorry to hear that you'd lose so much if you had to do jury duty @Skycaptain , it seems that self employment is always encouraged here in the UK. yet we don't take care of the people who work hard as self employed. Boo!

@faraday☘ & @pickles mcgee (or should I say Thelma and Louise?) -great pics! 😄

On 7/21/2018 at 6:55 AM, teatree said:

Within 10 days of getting the summons, I had to go online and fill out the "juror questionnaire," so I got it over with last night. They wanted to know, among other things, if myself or any immediate relative has ever been a police officer, or been a defendant in a court case. Yes to both, since my sister was a cop for many years, and another one was tried for a felony. Don't know if those answers will INclude or EXclude me! And yes, @Semisweet, if 70 or over, one does not have to serve. Also, I could never give crazy answers to get out of it....

My wife's father was a police officer and she was excused because of that.

On 7/21/2018 at 8:26 AM, To Each Their Own said:

Every time I get summoned for jury duty I try very hard to get on the jury. I want to see what it is like so bad! I’m 0/5 so far. 😔

Am I seriously the only one here that thinks jury duty is cool as shit? (At least while we still have the right to it, because the way things are going in the US…who knows.)

I've also wanted to be on jury duty, but my body wouldn't handle sitting there for the trial anymore. Of course, now it also wouldn't be a good idea depending on the particular case...

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Wow! 37C at 17.33pm! (that's 98.6F for all you people across the pond) . That's from the local council billboard . I feel like my legs are lead weights with this heat. It's going to be hotter as the week progresses. We're being warned to stay out of it (it'll be my pleasure to do that!)

On 7/21/2018 at 7:23 AM, faraday☘ said:

In exchange for driving all the way to Idaho Falls, she got covered in hair and trinkled in slobber.:lol:

Let's just say they are very friendly!

I had a wonderful time in Idaho Falls. @faraday☘has some mad food prepping skills. I would eat healthy at every meal if she was the chef!

• Like 8

Here are my "MarmotMaids:

(from the marmot cam I set up.  Ignore the incorrect date.

Spoiler

SUNP0043.jpg

SUNP0046.jpg

SUNP0286.jpg

• Like 10
On 7/20/2018 at 5:21 PM, teatree said:

I got summoned for jury duty in September! Have done it once before, about 20+ years ago--for a rape case. 😐  But how come some people NEVER get summoned??? 

I got a summons once - and it was almost immediately after I'd moved out of that district.  I filled out their little online questionnaire, and was excused because I'd left the district.

Honestly, I'd like to be on a jury, and see a lot more people have to serve.  It might foster greater understanding of how our justice system works.

On 7/21/2018 at 3:47 AM, chandrakirti said:

Gave up on the cake.

NEVER give up on the cake :D  :cake: 

I'm officially at 5 days until the closing on my house!  I'm figuring out exactly how much it's gonna cost to close, move, get the things I need to set up housekeeping, clean out the old place...my bank balance is gonna look pretty sparse once I'm done.

I did manage to get a little creative this weekend, as the kids were out camping and the BF had to work on Sunday.  I decided to play with a weave I've done many times before, but never really played with the colors on.  The finished inlay will have the word Home woven into it, and the house (half-finished in the pic) will signify the 'O'.  I plan on hanging it in the front porch (enclosed) of the new house. 

• Like 11