anyone past 50 on here?

@Kazbe- I love those tapestries! I love all sorts of fiber and needlework and those are amazing. It would be really cool to see them in person. 

Glad the break is healing, @teatree, hopefully isn't hurting too badly still. 

@Muledeer it would be cool to see the century time lapse when you get it done. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, teatree said:

Have you noticed how close we are getting to 20,000 replies in this thread???? 

Yeah, it was the 50s anniversary a few days ago too.  AND, also, too - we're on page 666!! :P

• Like 8

So far I have met four AVENites and they are all great! Looking forward to meeting even more of this group.... ^_^

An AVENite from the city I do some cycling in contacted me and we may meet up this summer.

No, but it's an interesting thread to discuss pretty much anything other than asexuality ;)

• Like 5

Shades of Jules Verne? :)

27 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

AND, also, too - we're on page 666!! :P

The devil you say! :lol:

26 minutes ago, will123 said:

An AVENite from the city I do some cycling in contacted me and we may meet up this summer.

No, but it's an interesting thread to discuss pretty much anything other than asexuality ;)

Will (no pun intended :lol: ) that be your first AVENite meetup?

True. :) 

• Like 8
1 minute ago, daveb said:

Shades of Jules Verne? :)

The devil you say! :lol:

Will (no pun intended :lol: ) that be your first AVENite meetup?

True. :) 

Yes.

• Like 4

@teatree, good that the break seems stable

We've had four days of unbroken sun, followed by two days of unbroken rain :huh:, which at least should dissuade any fauna from awakening from hibernation before the "end of the world, most apocalyptic winter chill ever", as per media exaggeration arrives next week :mad:

• Like 6
12 hours ago, teatree said:

... the bones were staying put, so no surgery needed (yay!). ... I now have a smaller/lighter cast. ... should have the cast off by end of March.

@teatree That's good news. Sounds like you are dealing with it very well. :cake:

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@teatree, good that the break seems stable

We've had four days of unbroken sun, followed by two days of unbroken rain :huh:, which at least should dissuade any fauna from awakening from hibernation before the "end of the world, most apocalyptic winter chill ever", as per media exaggeration arrives next week :mad:

That sounds like the Toronto media.

Got a new smartphone today. My phone that wasnt quite two years old started shutting off randomly even when battery was above 80%

• Like 6
51 minutes ago, will123 said:

Got a new smartphone today.

I got a new one myself last week (on Valentine's Day, I think). My old phone was losing the charge after just a few hours - I would turn it on a 9 AM and it would be out of power by around 1 or 2 PM without even using it. Nice to have a new phone. And I got quite a discount on the monthly bill for being 55 or older - $55/month as opposed to $80/month! :)

It snowed here pretty much all morning and there was some white on the ground for a while, but it warmed up enough that it all melted away and the stuff that was still falling melted before accumulating. Cool to watch the snow fall, though. :) (and apparently places were shutting down early or taking a snow day :lol: )

• Like 7

I got a new phone a couple weeks ago, too. It's my first time with a smartphone, although I have been using a tablet for a few years now. Mine only costs $20 per month, though. My wife's only costs $7. 8)

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

I got a new phone a couple weeks ago, too. It's my first time with a smartphone, although I have been using a tablet for a few years now. Mine only costs $20 per month, though. My wife's only costs $7. 8)

Where did you find prices like this?!

• Like 4

@pickles mcgee T-Mobile. I've been with them for almost 15 years now. I have 2 lines with unlimited data and minutes for just under $100 a month.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

Is that for the phone itself?

I bought my phone outright, since I had the money and don't like paying for the hardware monthly.

• Like 4
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, Tja said:

I really like your gg's photo from 1907 and his accompanying painting from 1915, @Muledeer

Reveal hidden contents

greenriverlakewyoming-1111x800.jpg

2001.031.jpg

Good article(s), @pickles mcgee.

Considering this IS page 666, Here is a scan of my actual Wyoming truck license plate:

If you look carefully at the background scene of this license plate, you will see it is of the same iconic scene as presented in the photo and oil painting posted by @Tja above.  It is Green River Lake with Flat - top mountain  behind it.   I've been there twice and it takes a 40 mile journey on a bumpy dirt road to get there.

image.jpg

• Like 9

Smartphones have really gone up in price. Depending on brand and model they can cost £300-£900 to buy outright now. :(,. Also they don't seem to be ad durable. My current one is starting to play up, at 16 months old 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, daveb said:

... Cool to watch the snow fall, ... :)

Yes, I like that too, it's very magical. Here, we haven't had any yet this year. But then again I am happy about that, because walking in the snow/ice is scary re. slipping, as @teatree obviously knows all to well :mellow:

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Smartphones have really gone up in price. Depending on brand and model they can cost £300-£900 to buy outright now. :(,. Also they don't seem to be ad durable. My current one is starting to play up, at 16 months old 

I've been very pleased with my Moto G5. I bought it outright for a one-off payment of £160. Then I have a SIM-only contract for calls/texts and data. I believe that Tesco are doing a fantastic deal for just £5 a month (they were back in November). I'm a great disbeliever in bundled packages

• Like 5

I've spent the last 4 days in Melbourne. It's a vibrant city and I've done the usual touristy things (art galleries, botanical gardens, old buildings, historical tours etc).  It's all done very well. Melbourne also claims to be Australia's 'food capital' and anyone who knows me will know that I'll have tested that claim. Two other items - the show "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - the musical" was on. I'd been to see this in the UK with @Lilsi a week after my first ever Aven meet, so I had to go again. And I'm sure that @Skycaptain will be interested in the tour of the MCG when next we meet up.

I'm heading West, briefly, then South to the famous Great Ocean Road and the long drive up to Sydney. There's a meeting in the Blue Mountains, too, with @Autumn Sunrise and, hopefully, @Kazbe . And maybe @catsaregood will come too. All very exciting!

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

(art galleries, botanical gardens, old buildings, historical tours etc)

Yummy.  I love all these things.

I have a small hobby, somewhat like Muledeer's project.  I often buy vintage postcards, and if I'm going to be visiting a city I look through my collection and bring along what I've got from that area.  On my walks around the city I try to find the hotel, post office, bridge or what have you pictured on the cards, and take a photo of what it/they look like now from the same angle.  It's very fun, and helps me get to know the city, but I call it a small hobby because I don't do it very often.  Also, I tend to mail the postcards away over time, so it's nothing I'm doing for posterity.

It is so exciting hearing about all these Aven meetups and future meetups!  Go, team!

• Like 12
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi all,

Brilliant trips down memory lane @will123, the lady and the unicorn is also amazing @Kazbe .

I still have my Nokia windows phone, it gets an upgrade in June, but I don't know whether to change it as it seems to be doing fine. 

666 kinda sums it up for me right now.I'm still suffering pain and numbness from my back injury and now I get an email saying that the hospital denies I had an accident (despite the accident report being logged into their system)....a bit worrying. 

Anyhow, not much else going on around here, been otherwise quiet. Good to catch up on the thread though. 

Very good news about the wrist @teatree, thank goodness it's not as bad for you as it could be.

Off to bed, if I can get any sleep tonight!

@chandrakirti, sorry to hear about your back troubles, hope you can get some relief -- from the pain and from the bureaucratic nonsense you're having to deal with in regard to it. :o

My smartphone is 5+ years old and still going strong, though it could use a new battery. The operating system, though, is no longer supported or upgradeable, so probably soon I'll start having trouble getting apps/sites to work properly. At least if your car or refrigerator or stove is an older model, it will still work despite lacking the latest bells and whistles, but it drives me crazy that our digital devices get rendered unusable through planned obsolescence.:mad: 

6 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I often buy vintage postcards, and if I'm going to be visiting a city I look through my collection and bring along what I've got from that area.  On my walks around the city I try to find the hotel, post office, bridge or what have you pictured on the cards, and take a photo of what it/they look like now from the same angle. 

I love this, @pickles mcgee. I enjoy looking at vintage photos too. In an online archive, I've found century-old pictures of my street and neighborhood and wished I could step through them and go back in time to explore what living here was like then. 

As a kid, when we'd buy the Sunday newspaper, I'd turn right to my favorite feature: a "then and now" column that matched up old and recent photos of local places and explained a bit of their history. :)

• Like 10
8 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:
12 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

(art galleries, botanical gardens, old buildings, historical tours etc)

Yummy.  I love all these things.

Me, too. We did all of those things in Montreal last Fall. :)

Apparently Portland is snowed in (there are patches of snow 1 or 2 inches thick, so businesses and offices are opening late and/or closing early). :lol:

Of course, I can just stay in and enjoy it. :)

My new phone cost $150.

• Like 7
47 minutes ago, daveb said:

Apparently Portland is snowed in

Meanwhile, here where the average high February temperature is 44F, today it was 77 (!). 😎

But for all I know it could snow next week. ⛄

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Semisweet said:

@chandrakirti, sorry to hear about your back troubles, hope you can get some relief -- from the pain and from the bureaucratic nonsense you're having to deal with in regard to it. :o

My smartphone is 5+ years old and still going strong, though it could use a new battery. The operating system, though, is no longer supported or upgradeable, so probably soon I'll start having trouble getting apps/sites to work properly. At least if your car or refrigerator or stove is an older model, it will still work despite lacking the latest bells and whistles, but it drives me crazy that our digital devices get rendered unusable through planned obsolescence.:mad: 

It used to be the car companies that consumer advocates used to rail about. I think your comment is quite suited today. Looked at the hundreds of people that will line up for a phone or gaming system that is supposed to be so much better than last year's version.

• Like 8

@will123, sealed phones so you can't change the battery when it wears out being a case in point, mentioning no names Sony Xperia :angry:

The amount of scaremongering on newspaper websites about the "worst freeze for 30 years" we're getting next week "otherwise known as a couple of days where wearing gloves and a scarf may not be a bad idea, is getting rediculous. Funnily enough the Met Office haven't even issued a weather warning yet, because they're more realistic

• Like 9

I use a flip style Tracfone and I really like it overall. The things I don’t like about it is that it is slippery and think companies really should make phone bodies have some grip to it. Also the contact list is not in one of the easy access buttons! I can’t program it to be either. On my Mom’s tracfone the contact list is one of the main buttons. (Thankfully for her, as she’d have a hard time with menus) Don’t know why they changed that for my model. At least it’s not buried too far in menus and I can get to it fairly quick. I set a couple numbers to speed dial which helps.

Just had a bill to pay $367.75 for blood work I had done! Starting over for the year with reaching my deductible for insurance to pay. At least I could use prompt pay discount and get some money off the bill. It’s really outrageous how much health stuff costs! :mad:

Hope your back is better, @chandrakirti.

• Like 7