anyone past 50 on here?

4 hours ago, Tja said:

@teatree said around the 3rd week of October is prime leaf viewing. Let us know when you'll be there.

Sometimes earlier, but this year was later in October and never felt like it reached true peak color. But as @will123 said, after the Columbus Day holiday is better for rates (and crowds). If I don't have a housemate then, I could put up a few people!

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, will123 said:

We head down to Maine after the Columbus Day weekend better rates. Some years we've found the colours nicer along the coast than in the mountains.

Where do you guys stay in Maine?

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, teatree said:

Where do you guys stay in Maine?

Wells, right on the coast. My parents started going there in the 90s. When my father died after I retired, I started doing the 'Driving Miss Daisy' routine and take my mother down there.

• Like 7

Wells is nice. Do you stay in a hotel or condo, or rent a house?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, teatree said:

Wells is nice. Do you stay in a hotel or condo, or rent a house?

We motel it.

• Like 4

We'll definitely have to get together, if you're willing! (No pressure!!) And I hate seafood, but others probably don't share my aversion--people always seem to want to eat lobster (lobstah) when they visit Maine....

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, teatree said:

We'll definitely have to get together, if you're willing! (No pressure!!) And I hate seafood, but others probably don't share my aversion--people always seem to want to eat lobster (lobstah) when they visit Maine....

If I was solo, I'd definitely would like to meet you. However I'm not out to my family, so I'd rather that have to try to explain the meet up. However, I'll keep in it mind for the future :)

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:
40 minutes ago, teatree said:

And I hate seafood

Me too!  I grew up in Southern Cal, so was supposed to love it.

I grew up in Southern Cal, too, but I do love seafood. My dad used to go snorkeling a lot when I was a kid to get lobster, abalone, fish, etc. right out of the ocean. About the only I don't like is raw oysters. bleargh! 

1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I'm going to have a bad case of FOMO.

yeah

Did I mention it snowed here this morning? It didn't last very long at all once it hit the ground, but it was still cool. :D 

• Like 9
Just now, daveb said:

I grew up in Southern Cal, too, but I do love seafood. My dad used to go snorkeling a lot when I was a kid to get lobster, abalone, fish, etc. right out of the ocean. About the only I don't like is raw oysters. bleargh! 

yeah

Did I mention it snowed here this morning? It didn't last very long at all once it hit the ground, but it was still cool. :D 

My father and paternal grandfather loved raw oysters. No thanks I'll take mine smoked.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Did I mention it snowed here this morning? It didn't last very long at all once it hit the ground, but it was still cool.

You still up, daveb?  It's snowing and sticking now. :)

• Like 5
On 18/02/2018 at 9:35 AM, chandrakirti said:

Do you like frogs then? Love them to bits, me.

Not literally, I hope. That would be weird.

Speaking of art galleries, the Art Gallery of NSW has an exhibition of the medieval (c.1500) tapestries "The Lady and the Unicorn". All six are on loan from Musée national du Moyen Âge in Paris. I treated myself to a visit today as the one tapestry I knew is one of my favourite art works. They were stunning and I have more than one favourite now. I always get a bit teary when I come face to face with an artwork that has fascinated me from the pages of a book, and I've been lucky to see many of them, thanks to AGNSW. They've had touring exhibitions from the Guggenheim, a collection of Rembrandt, a collection of Dali, photographers such as Annie Leibovitz, Sam Taylor-Wood, Man Ray and Robert Mappleworth. However, I never thought I would ever get to see these tapestries. According to the blurb, it's only the third time The lady and the unicorn tapestry series has left France in 500 years. Plus there was a fantastic video on the history and meaning of the work.

There is a slideshow of each tapestry on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_and_the_Unicorn

Each one is huge as it was designed to be a wall covering in a castle.

• Like 9
10 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I'm going to have a bad case of FOMO.

IDK WTF FOMO?

*Have I mentioned that I hate all these abbreviations going around?* :P:lol:

• Like 10
On 18-2-2018 at 1:19 AM, daveb said:

... more trips, because fun.

"For anyone concerned about their contribution to global warming, cutting back on air travel is an obvious goal.", quoted from 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/apr/06/aviation-q-and-a 

IMHO plane travel is not to be done unneccesarily, for 'fun'. When I want to have fun, I dance and sing. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Loved hearing about your great grandfather, @Muledeer.  I was able to read the article and do a bit of on-line searching about him and his work.  I really like photos made from glass plate negatives--they can be so beautiful.  The article was fun for me, as I recognized names and places.  I went to Brigham Young University and knew of Peter Myer (art professor at BYU; he's mentioned in the article).  I had one year-long lecture class when I was a Freshman in the art program, called "Foundations."  Each of the profs took turns giving a lecture/slideshow, etc., so we got to hear from each of them over the course of the year.

Are you still In Salt Lake, @Muledeer?  I love and miss that city!  Please kiss the streets for me.

Yea, I am still here in SLC.  I come just about every weekend during this time of the year.  It is so much warmer than Wyoming and there is more to do as well. 

Here is a link to the BYU library online exhibition of George Beard's photography if you are interested:

https://lib.byu.edu/collections/george-beard-collection/

This is all part of a new hobby I am developing, where I will hike into the mountains and try to find the exact spots that some of these photos were taken, and re-photograph these same scenes over 100 years later.   It will achieve three things: comparing a color photo to the black and white image, comparing the landscape and how it has changed due to climate change, logging and structures, and thirdly, it will be a great reason to go hiking in the mountains.  I have already enlisted a couple of friends who are interested in helping me to conduct this "research". 

• Like 11

That's amazing, @Muledeer. It would be incredible, if they could put your updated photos alongside your great-grandfather's.

I'll assume Lovenia is your great-grandmother? What a wonderful history of your ancestors.

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, Tja said:

That's amazing, @Muledeer. It would be incredible, if they could put your updated photos alongside your great-grandfather's.

I'll assume Lovenia is your great-grandmother? What a wonderful history of your ancestors.

Yes, that is correct.  There is a high mountain in the Uinta range named after her - Mt. Lovenia - which I hiked to and explored about 15 years ago.  Somehow, George Beard achieved a level of immortality  through his photography, oil paintings, explorations and naming of lakes and mountains, and he also acquired and created a family cabin park in the mountains which is open to all of his descendants.  

• Like 10

To have these still-accessible connections to your great-grandparents is fantastic, @Muledeer, as is your plan to create present-day versions of your great-grandfather's photos. Few people I know can experience such direct exposure (no pun intended📷) to their kin three generations back.

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Here is a link to the BYU library online exhibition of George Beard's photography if you are interested:

I meant to mention before that I had found that site and started looking through the photos.  I got a little fixated on the portraits, because old portraits are cool (getting fixated on things dovetails nicely with my procrastination tendencies).

I also found this very nice article, written by one Ehren Clark.

http://artistsofutah.org/15Bytes/index.php/george-beard-a-frontiersmans-vision-brought-to-life-at-the-springville-museum-of-art/

I knew Ehren Clark back in the early 90's.  I had a class with his sister; I met him through her.  He was a wonderful person, as was she.  I was surprised at the end of the article to read that he had passed away.

• Like 9

All I know about my great grandmother on my dad's side is that she was the daughter of a Taino chief and was about 4'8" tall. I don't know of any others. Even my mom's father was just some Yugoslavian guy who came and went through my grandmom's life. I have a big family but little history on them. Counting both sides of the family I have 52 aunts and uncles, although more than half died while young (hurricanes in Puerto Rico and medical complications.)

That sounds like a really interesting project @Muledeer. Please keep us updated.

• Like 10
5 hours ago, Spotastic said:

All I know about my great grandmother on my dad's side is that she was the daughter of a Taino chief

I read a little snippet like this and off I go on another internet search!  When I taught 5th grade social studies, the prevailing view was that all the Taino had been wiped out by Columbus and crew.  I didn't mention that to the kids, because the jury was still out for me, but I hadn't looked into it more closely until you mentioned your heritage just now.  Here's the first article I found: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/what-became-of-the-taino-73824867/

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi All!

Yes, @froglady, there are loads of cycle paths in Bedford,one goes all the way t Cambridge then Lincolnshire, which is a good 50 miles, but the one along to my work ends in a really congested motorway, so I'm just waiting for a mask to appear via amazon...:D I do miss the wilds though, even though my present town isn't big, it's full of the nonsense that wasn't present when I lived on Skye.

Thirded @daveb & @Semisweet.... @teatree is cool!

I'm toying with using my holiday allowance for lots of little small trips. I heard about a website called srprsme.com and they allocate random flights to places you've not visited, if you give them a budget! The Faeroe Islands sound interesting....and St Kilda.

It's been hard keeping up recently as I've limited my computer usage in the evenings....I'll have to balance it out so there aren't so many pages to catch up on though!

This article talks about the problems with how many people report that the Taino were wiped out. They are all over the Carribean islands. I have had people in the past not believe me about my heritage. It's a common misconception. Anyone who spends much time on the islands can tell you of their influence.

The major thing about it all is that Columbus effectively wiped out a lot of the Taino culture. The were forcibly converted to Christianity, and those who fought against that were killed. They were enslaved and broken up from their tribes. Women were kept as sex toys for the Spaniards.

There are many reasons why I really hate Columbus Day...

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Kazbe said:

Speaking of art galleries, the Art Gallery of NSW has an exhibition of the medieval (c.1500) tapestries "The Lady and the Unicorn". All six are on loan from Musée national du Moyen Âge in Paris. I treated myself to a visit today as the one tapestry I knew is one of my favourite art works. They were stunning and I have more than one favourite now. I always get a bit teary when I come face to face with an artwork that has fascinated me from the pages of a book, and I've been lucky to see many of them, thanks to AGNSW. They've had touring exhibitions from the Guggenheim, a collection of Rembrandt, a collection of Dali, photographers such as Annie Leibovitz, Sam Taylor-Wood, Man Ray and Robert Mappleworth. However, I never thought I would ever get to see these tapestries. According to the blurb, it's only the third time The lady and the unicorn tapestry series has left France in 500 years. Plus there was a fantastic video on the history and meaning of the work.

There is a slideshow of each tapestry on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_and_the_Unicorn

Each one is huge as it was designed to be a wall covering in a castle.

I love this post so much, @Kazbe.  This sounds amazing!  I know that feeling of being blown away by seeing something in person that  you have only seen in books for years.

I googled the AGNSW.  Seems like a wonderful place (and, can't beat the price ^_^).  If only Australia weren't so very far away...

I wish I could at least see the video!

• Like 8
16 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

You still up, daveb?  It's snowing and sticking now. :)

I didn't see it until this morning. Not a heavy snow, but we still have some that hasn't melted yet (in the shade). :) 

8 hours ago, Muledeer said:

This is all part of a new hobby I am developing, where I will hike into the mountains and try to find the exact spots that some of these photos were taken, and re-photograph these same scenes over 100 years later.   It will achieve three things: comparing a color photo to the black and white image, comparing the landscape and how it has changed due to climate change, logging and structures, and thirdly, it will be a great reason to go hiking in the mountains.  I have already enlisted a couple of friends who are interested in helping me to conduct this "research". 

That sounds like a great project! The old photos (and the painting) are very good.

• Like 5

So far I have met four AVENites and they are all great! Looking forward to meeting even more of this group.... ^_^

Quick update on the wrist: xrays on Friday showed the bones were staying put, so no surgery needed (yay!). The bulky/heavy splint was removed and I now have a smaller/lighter cast. More xrays this Friday. First three weeks are the most critical, so I'm being super-cautious and compliant. If all goes well, should have the cast off by end of March. Still trying to better deal with my impatience and frustration, though...it's been difficult both asking for and accepting help. Makes me uncomfortable....

Have you noticed how close we are getting to 20,000 replies in this thread???? 

• Like 12