anyone past 50 on here?

@daveb - your tree and the village are lovely...I like the wooden houses.  I couldn't see the photos on this thread, either, but they showed up in the photo thread.  On the plus side, I now know of another thread to spend some time in :D

I wanna know why my tired brain decided 5am was the PERFECT time to be completely awake?

• Like 6

@daveb, great pictures, and those mini houses are brilliant work

@EarthMama, it's called fate, my brain felt that it should be asleep then, but my cats thought otherwise

Christmas at work is going to be a downer, one of our colleagues passed away a couple hours ago 

• Like 7

One bonus of being awake and surfing the 'net at 5 in the bloody AM is...I found a new calendar for next year.  It features images by a guy in the UK who goes by the handle:  Sculpt the World.  He leaves artwork on beaches, in the snow, in fall leaves, etc... for anyone to admire, photograph, and enjoy.

I found him through the Art Abandonment project (which I am also a member of).  If you haven't heard of AA, we artists make a bit of art - this can be anything our talents take us to create.  We then abandon our new creation out into the world, with a tag that says 'FREEEEEEE!' and let the fates decide who will come across it and be enriched for a day or a lifetime.  Obviously, I've been abandoning chainmaille pieces.

This guy from Scuplt the World has an incredibly unique take on Art Abandonment...but I LOVE his work.  And now I get a full year of photos :D

Here's one of his pieces:

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

Christmas at work is going to be a downer, one of our colleagues passed away a couple hours ago 

I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.

10 minutes ago, EarthMama said:

Here's one of his pieces:

wow

Thanks for the comments/compliments

In the past I have had people tell me they couldn't see flickr photos I have posted, and other people say they could see google ones. That's why I tried photos from both sites this time. I hoped that one way or the other most people could view them. :)

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@EarthMama, absolutely mind blowing! How clever , now there's what I would call a Turner prize.:D

@Sleighcaptain, sorry to hear about your colleague's demise so close to Xmas, for his family it means that sinking feeling every year from now at this time too.

Great photos @daveb, really in the spirit of it all!

23 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

I'm righteously indignant on your behalf! I hate the way employers are treating staff like pawns in their game.

The most confusing part was that they kept thanking me and telling me they couldn't have got the project over the line without my knowledge of the software and my experience in data migration. All this as they pushed my out the door (not literally). My consultancy rewarded me with a $25 movie ticket voucher. <cue loud applause> <maybe not> I shall go see the Star Wars movie the moment it comes out.

:D :lol: :DThank you to everyone for your job commiserations and your lovely comments about my photos.^_^

@daveb, @EarthMama - I co-host a photography meetup group here in Sydney and one of our regular haunts is Rookwood Cemetery, mainly because they have a sculpture walk every year. Lots of opportunity for creepy photos and arty photos! However, every time I take the 'obligatory raven on a headstone' shot 'cause that's what cemeteries are all about. :P  I now have a collection of these which I'm going to add to my photo website.

23 hours ago, daveb said:

I have even removed random strangers from photos.

Ha ha! Me too. How dare they get into my photo!

• Like 7
On December 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM, daveb said:

I have no compunction in cropping photos, adjusting contrast and lighting, and other manipulations. I have even removed random strangers from photos. :P 

Nor should you have any compunction about doing so. After all, we each make individual choices as soon as we compose our initial shot; our field of vision is not limited to a small rectangle, but our photos typically are.

Oddly enough, yesterday I was able to see your photos on this thread, but today I can see them only on the photo thread. In any case, given that I'm a language nerd, my eye went directly to the dictionaries visible on your bookshelf. :P

@Sleighcaptain, so sorry to hear the news about your colleague. 

• Like 5

@Sleighcaptain I'm sorry for your loss, *hugs*

@Kazbe That's awful about the job, especially during the holidays.  Are you actively looking for another job?

It was 12 degrees this morning.  It was in the low 40s Sunday.  Jeez, it got really cold fast!   

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

@Sleighcaptain, that's sad news about your colleague. It's hard at any time, but a death so close to Christmas seems very poignant somehow.

@Kazbe, you were very gracious in your acceptance of that movie voucher :D I think if it had been me I'd have been tempted to drop it in the nearest bin!

@daveb, I love your Christmas tree, and the white skirt and tiny houses set it off perfectly!

@EarthMama that Art Abandonment project sounds awesome - how generous to share talent like that!

@faraday☘ I've been dying to ask: what exactly is a Snow Bully?

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

one of our colleagues passed away a couple hours ago 

It really brings in a sense of mortality when our friends, siblings, neighbors, and colleagues pass away.  Seems like it happens more often the older we get.  My condolences.   

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

My Inbox is full of emails this evening, from a variety of organisations but all telling me the same news. It's been a long, hard fight for a lot of people, but this afternoon the Australian House of Representatives finally voted to make same-sex marriage legal in Australia. There's been cheering in the streets, impromptu gatherings  and celebrations, and I'm guessing that there'll be a lot of weddings before Christmas :wub:

• Like 11
4 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

voted to make same-sex marriage legal in Australia

Yay! Congratulations, Australia! :D

• Like 5
20 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

That's awful about the job, especially during the holidays.  Are you actively looking for another job?

I am, but there's nothing much around at the moment. Plus a have to be careful in what I chose. I can't go straight into another high pressure, long hours job. I was diagnosed with burnout and after just one month at the last project, I was back to insomnia, bad dreams, etc. The simple truth is I'm just not up to doing this kind of work anymore but given that 5+ years of searching for new work and retraining hasn't helped me get out of it, I guess I just have to take a stand at type of project I accept in IT.

• Like 5

Sorry for your loss, Sleighcaptain.

Sucks about the job, Kazbe. Hope you land something good soon.

That art is amazing, EarthMama.

Love the tree, and decorations, daveb.

Glad the new snow mover is working well for you, faraday.

Do you have a son that you haven't told me about, Autumn Sunrise, so I can get married, and move to Oz? We could be in-laws! :D 

Doctor called me last night. Didn't like my test results, and wants me to have more testing done.

Particularly, my pancreas and liver. Starting to get a little freaked out over it, the more I think of it.

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise

Hang in there, @Tja - some doctors just have no "bedside manner", or its equivalent on the phone. I've had doctors giving me a throwaway line that had me worried for days, then it turned out to be something really minor ;)

• Like 5
Just now, Autumn Sunrise said:

Hang in there, @Tja - some doctors just have no "bedside manner", or its equivalent on the phone. I've had doctors giving me a throwaway line that had me worried for days, then it turned out to be something really minor ;)

Thank you.

Yet, more importantly; what about the in-law question?:lol:

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

Well, I think you might need to address that with the person concerned, when you get here :lol:

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

Well, I think you might need to address that with the person concerned, when you get here :lol:

Oh my...:redface:

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

Good luck, @Tja!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tja said:

Doctor called me last night. Didn't like my test results, and wants me to have more testing done.

Particularly, my pancreas and liver. Starting to get a little freaked out over it, the more I think of it.

Well, those are two pretty important organs, so good reason for concern.  How is your gall bladder?  After experiencing this broken medical system when my mom was old and dying, it gives me chills to even think about having to deal with doctors, hospitals care facilities, and insurance companies ever again in my lifetime.  I hope you get it resolved so you can enjoy your vacation.

@Autumn Sunrise I am happy to hear your country has embraced same sex marriage.  I am glad to hear it referred to more and more as same sex marriage instead of gay marriage.  Until I accepted my own asexuality, I called it gay marriage too.  But now, I could see myself married to someone of either gender, although the possibility or likelihood  of that is very, very remote.

• Like 5

Thanks, @Muledeer & @daveb:) 

I'm looking forward to the day when it's called "marriage". *Which is what it is*

Dropping the gay/same sex, all together. It's no different from "straight marriage".

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Tja said:

I'm looking forward to the day when it's called "marriage"

I'm looking forward to the day when the institution of marriage is replaced by something better! While I'm glad we've legalised same sex marriage in Australia, I think marriage is the worst legal contract anyone can enter into. It's okay when everything is holding together but can be a nightmare once it falls apart especially when children are involved.

Marriage never seemed especially romantic to me and I've never really understood why people want to do it! There are some legal pluses that come with marriage - especially when one partner is ill or dying as, like common law marriage between hetero couples, the sick person's family has all rights in choosing or approving treatment, and their partner is largely ignored.  Even so, in Australia you can make your partner an enduring guardian and set up an Advanced Care Directive so your family can't barge in and stuff things up. 

Nonetheless I supported my same sex couple friends, many of who have been together for years and feel the need for formalisation, especially in front of their families. I feel sad though for one friend - most of the Lebanese side of his family told him they didn't support same sex marriage, so it ended up being an extremely traumatic time for him.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Kazbe said:

... have to be careful in what I chose ...  burnout ...

...  5+ years of searching for new work and retraining hasn't helped me get out of it, I guess I just have to take a stand at type of project I accept in IT. 

A difficult situation. I hope something suitable will turn up for you soon. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Kazbe said:

Marriage never seemed especially romantic to me and I've never really understood why people want to do it!

my feeling entirely.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Tja said:

Do you have a son that you haven't told me about, Autumn Sunrise, so I can get married, and move to Oz? We could be in-laws! :D 

I hope everything is okay.  I look forward to wedding pics from Oz!!

On 12/6/2017 at 6:19 PM, Autumn Sunrise said:

I've been dying to ask: what exactly is a Snow Bully?

This...

owner-pushing-e1418841638895.jpg

On 12/7/2017 at 5:03 AM, Autumn Sunrise said:

My Inbox is full of emails this evening, from a variety of organisations but all telling me the same news. It's been a long, hard fight for a lot of people, but this afternoon the Australian House of Representatives finally voted to make same-sex marriage legal in Australia. There's been cheering in the streets, impromptu gatherings  and celebrations, and I'm guessing that there'll be a lot of weddings before Christmas :wub:

Yippee!!

Friday is here!!  I watched Displaceable M3 last night.  It was cute.  I'm going to work on my office Christmas gifts and IRS junk.  Today, however, I'm being somewhat lazy.  

• Like 7
On 12/6/2017 at 11:37 AM, daveb said:

Thanks for the comments/compliments

In the past I have had people tell me they couldn't see flickr photos I have posted, and other people say they could see google ones. That's why I tried photos from both sites this time. I hoped that one way or the other most people could view them. :)

So far, I haven't had trouble with my Instagram account for photo-sharing...outside of trying to put links from it into my WordPress blog.  With all the different image/file sharing sites around the 'net, it's surprising we don't have more issues with cross-posting.

On 12/6/2017 at 1:04 PM, chandrakirti said:

@EarthMama, absolutely mind blowing! How clever , now there's what I would call a Turner prize.:D

I really love his work - but sadly, I'll never get the chance to see it in person, unless he decides to travel to the States, 'cause I don't travel well.

On 12/7/2017 at 6:03 AM, Autumn Sunrise said:

YEA Australia!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, Tja said:

Hang tough Tja - the body is more resilient than the popular media (and their corporate sponsors) would have you believe. 

8 hours ago, Kazbe said:

Marriage never seemed especially romantic to me and I've never really understood why people want to do it!

Most people want the wedding, not the marriage.  They want the day where everything is all about them - the party, the attention, the 'I'm up on a pedestal and you're not' feeling.  Then when real life intrudes and there's friction between partners, it all falls apart, because they entered into things for the wrong reason.

I've been married 2x, and swear there will never be a 3rd. 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, EarthMama said:

They want the day where everything is all about them - the party, the attention, the 'I'm up on a pedestal and you're not' feeling.

Please, NO! Just NO! That's what I didn't want the most.

• Like 4

Do people elope anymore?  My parents traveled to a neighboring town in 1942 and secretly got married so my mom could continue her employment - yes, you could get fired for getting married back then if you were a female.  My dad went into the Service to fight in WWII the next day after their wedding.

• Like 7