Single Cooking

Ender

Asexy Existentialist

Spaghettti hoops http://www.heinz.co.uk/ourfood/pasta/spaghettihoops/heinz-hoops-in-tomato-sauce-4-snap-pots

Baked Beans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baked_beans

Egg in a hole? Do you mean 'Toad in the Hole'? It's sausages baked in a batter and very tasty too with gravy. :)

Nuuu, definitely not Toad in the Hole. It's also called "Egg in the basket"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_in_the_basket

So yummy!

Ah, I've never been able to eat an egg as an egg (I can in a sponge) - I'd be in agony for hours. :(

Ah, I've never been able to eat an egg as an egg (I can in a sponge) - I'd be in agony for hours. :(

In a sponge? SPONGE.jpg Surely not. Explain, o British Tan!

Carsonspire

Some people already mentioned farmers markets. I agree - you get fresh food, often organic, and usually not in huge quantities. I also agree with the "last-day cheap rack" strategy. I've done that many times!

As for cooking and storing, I'm much more likely to cook a pot of something and store it in the refrigerator so that I have leftovers for about 3 days. I also make a fair number of sandwiches and other quick, non-cooked meals. (Did someone say hummus ...?? :D )

In a sponge? SPONGE.jpg Surely not. Explain, o British Tan!

Silly Sally :lol:

19427.jpg

My Dad's a chef but that didn't rub off on me. If I can't make it in 10 minutes then I am not cooking it, don't have the patience and hate the cleaning up part.

I live on cereal and milk for breakfasts, the rest of the time it's frozen meals, sandwiches, salads, tuna, the sort of food you don't need to cook basically unless it's in the microwave.

I live on cereal and milk for breakfasts, the rest of the time it's frozen meals, sandwiches, salads, tuna, the sort of food you don't need to cook basically unless it's in the microwave.

I do that most of the time, too. Especially during the long hot summer, when I don't want to heat up the house by using the oven or stove top.

When I do cook I like to cook things that give me enough portions to freeze up for several future meals. So some of my frozen meals are my own home-cooked things. I will also do something like cook up several chicken breast filets and freeze some of the cooked ones. Then I can cook some pasta to go with a piece of the chicken, or make a chicken sandwich or whatever.

Are there no baked beans or spaghetti hoops in America? Oh you poor souls!!

Before I became vegetarian I used to LOVE toad in the hole. But you can get a nice quorn sausage toad in the hole from most supermarkets.

I eat a lot of quorn micromave meals. I found fake tuna and salmon melts in tesco's the other day. What a find!

I also remember that I eat fried egg on toast a lot, it's one of the easiest things in the world to cook so I have it a few times a week.

I'm big into leftovers and thus am always running out of room in my freezer. I like to make 3-5 servings of anything that will freeze well; eat two serving within two or three days of making it, and freeze the remaining serving(s). In the summer, I'm a HUGE salad fan - all kinds of different varieties and dressings. I'll make chef-type salads with hard boiled eggs, tangy fruit salads with sliced apples, blueberries, and nuts (on a bed of greens), vinaigrette dressings, mayo-based dressings, etc. If i keep mixing up both the fruits and veggies in the salad as well as the dressings, I can eat salad six days a week without getting tired of it. During the winter, I make my own soups. I've also gotten into baking my own bread - mmm. I get annoyed when I don't use my fresh produce quickly enough, but I've gotten better about planning meals before I go to the grocery store so I don't overbuy and have a general idea of how I'm going to use all the produce. That really seems to help. Once I move this summer, I'm hoping to have enough of a yard to have a small vegetable garden, and that will help too! Peppers, onions, lettuce, carrots, maybe radishes, herbs (which I have now), cucumbers, spinach, etc. I can't wait!!

Especially during the long hot summer

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh! We have had more than six months of rain here in Seattle.

I buy fresh sausage links--Italian, whatever--and freeze each one individually in baggies and I can thaw one, brown it, and dump it into a pot to make lentil or split pea soup (from dried beans), or vegetable soup. I also buy packages of bacon and split the package into small sections and freeze in baggies.

And then I forget how long I've had this stuff in the freezer and throw it out much later because I'm afraid it's past it's whatever-date.

If something can't be made on the stove top in 15 minutes, I don't make it

But... but.... awwwww..... :( There's so much you're missing out on!

You just haven't made the right recipe yet! You're a late cooking bloomer!

Seriously, you can throw stuff into a pot with some water, turn it on, and no further work is required.

Asexy Existentialist

This! I never understood people that felt like cooking was too hard or not worth it. There's just so much I could teach them...

AkiraCoinTykiGotBetaMuffin

Hmm my two new pleasures to make are moussaka and cheap noodles XD, the moussaka itself is easy enough to make and cheap to buy stuff for, and the noodles, ultra cheap and tasty, just get a 10 pence packet of instant noodles, put them in a pan with some lamb broth, wait until most of the waters gone leaving the main of the lamb juice, the mix in a bit of chili powder, some salt, pepper and sometimes some coriander, add some oil and wait till they are frying, and then add a whisked egg in and mix until the eggs covered the noodles and has cooked, Tastes awesome.

• 1 month later...
biromanticseniorgal

I'm an oddball, as usual. I've been vegan for the past 16 yrs and found out 3 yrs ago I have Celiac disease because of gluten intolerance. Buying, preparing, storing vegan, gluten free nutritious and economical (I have a very tight budget these days) food is quite a challenge. Many of the previous suggestions listed here by others are essential for me.

I usually spend a weekend or two per month cooking large batches of certain food items like soups, stews and casseroles, place them in small labeled/dated containers and freeze them keeping the oldest dates in front. I can then mix and match with some fresh items like salad and bread; and, I always keep jars of pickles, olives, sweet cherry peppers and the like on the fridge door to make complete, nutritious and inviting meals. This works great for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Those big bags of pre-mixed salad are very convenient, relatively inexpensive and keep very well in the crisper especially if you insert a couple of wadded (clean, of course) paper towels in the bag to absorb excess moisture. I go even further and put the orig salad bag in a ziplock and it lasts about 3 to 4 wks. Sometimes I buy gluten free bread but I usually use the Breadman. Either way, I keep the bread, except for the few slices I'm planning to use in a day or two in a ziplock bag in the freezer (no paper towel needed)and this way it keeps its moisture,lasts a long time and I can usually (not always) just break off a few slices at a time without damaging the rest of the loaf.

I have some other tips and techniques for buying in bulk and utilizing dehydrated foods but if one were not vegan and/or gluten free they probably wouldn't be of any use to you. However, if anyone interested, write me, I'm happy to share. Good luck and Bon Appetit! Take care everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Because I'm vegan, I have to cook most of my food. I tend to make a sauce, plonk as many vegetables I can into the sauce (tends to be around 5 different types including lentils/beans) and then put whatever's leftover into the freezer. Repeat for the next six days with different recipes and enjoy reheating it all for fuss the following week.

My favourite things to cook are shepherd's pie sans the sheep and curry. I like chucking in different spices and seeing what I get.

I also have a few nice recipe books which I'm constantly borrowing recipes from. And occasionally, I make very yummy cupcakes.

Generally what I have done is is either have like a lean cuisine deal, cereal ( I really love cereal for dinner, more so than I do for breakfast...lol ), or I'll go to a fast food place (or sometimes not so fast food) and eat there or pick up something up on the way home from work. I go to subway, and quiznos fairly frequently.

Every now and then I cook something and eat the leftovers later in the week. And I love leftovers.

The amount of food wasted is generally minimal. And also for being one person, going to restaurants is not all that expensive either and you can still end up with leftovers.

I mostly live on cheese on toast and whisky. Not the healthiest diet in the world.

I have the same relationship to food that I do with sex....complete disinterest.

DracoBorealis

I have a high-protein and low-carb diet that my personal trainer set me up with. Lots of vegetables, wholegrain, eggs, lean meats, fish and such.

When I cook I usually make a big pile of food, divide it into ready-to-eat meals and put half in the refrigerator and half in the freezer.

I'm not into junk food much, so I'll rather cook myself and eat leftovers later on. Plus I don't appreciate foods that are really greasy or salty.

I do love chili though, and eat it with pretty much anything. I made an acquaintance of mine taste one of my home-grown Naga Morichis after he refused to believe they pack quite a punch, he changed colour about 7 times per second before throwing up :D

7thNavigator

I never eat breakfast as my stomach doesn't like to be bothered early in the morning. Only a cup of coffee to wake me up. Then in the afternoon I eat whatever there's a possibility to, usually fast-food or some other micro-waved food. Something easy and fast, as my job prohibites me the time needed.

I love simple food like pasta, potatoes or bread, but have little interest in doing the dishes in this one-person household, so I mostly stick to microwave food, or order something from a local pizza/kebap restaurant.

FrozenCherry

...but have little interest in doing the dishes in this one-person household...

This makes me lol so hard because I could not hate anything else housework so much than washing dishes :P

I found a great cookbook called "Serves One." It's by Toni Lydecker. It has great recipes, some tips for shopping, and other cool extra stuff. I use it a lot; it has a great pizza crust recipe & some other favorites of mine.

The trouble with cookbooks is they have so many recipes with stuff I don't like. One of the hazards of being picky, I guess. :lol:

Every once in a while I learn to cook something I do like. I think I'm up to maybe 10 meal-type things... :P

My favourite things to cook are shepherd's pie sans the sheep and curry. I like chucking in different spices and seeing what I get.

Curry? In shepherds pie :unsure: not in this house :lol: I used to tell Rhiannon that my shepherds pie was made with real shepherds then she asked if I made cottage pie with real cottages. Served me right I suppose :D

Curry? In shepherds pie :unsure: not in this house :lol: I used to tell Rhiannon that my shepherds pie was made with real shepherds then she asked if I made cottage pie with real cottages. Served me right I suppose :D

Sheep? My god. What's a cottage pie?

I don't make anything with more than 5 ingredients, and certainly nothing that takes fresh ginger root or anything like that.

EDIT: Ah, I see shepherd's pie/cottage pie is beef or lamb and mashed potatoes. I make that but didn't know what to call it.

I find that my diet consists alternately of incredibly simple and incredibly complex foods eaten side by side but not together. For example, i'll have ancient grains bread (and this is like EVERY ancient grain out there) with orgo peanut butter and then blueberries on the side. ha.

Farmers markets are definitely my best friend.

biromanticseniorgal

I found a great cookbook called "Serves One." It's by Toni Lydecker. It has great recipes, some tips for shopping, and other cool extra stuff. I use it a lot; it has a great pizza crust recipe & some other favorites of mine.

Another good cookbook is "The Gluten Free Vegan" by Susan O'Brien but maybe that's just me - lol.

...but have little interest in doing the dishes in this one-person household...

This makes me lol so hard because I could not hate anything else housework so much than washing dishes :P

Im the same way i love to cook but i hate to clean up

Archived